Delisted Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
He ain’t going to get sacked or moved on until after the draft. It would be terrible management to do so now.
Last time I checked he didn’t play on Saturday
Then after the draft it's too close to the SSP, then it's not long before the MSD, from there the race to the ND starts to heat up.

Can't sack him ever

So thought every new administration. None have made it past 3 years still holding the power they started with, if they were even still employed.
I don’t know, it feels different this time.

Worsfold didn’t give a shit. Rutten couldn’t do it.

Scott has an aura about him which is his way, or the highway. Which will be a huge problem down the line for us if we has success and bottom out.

I’m just spitballing of course and have NFI. But I do believe AD’s days are numbered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So thought every new administration. None have made it past 3 years still holding the power they started with, if they were even still employed.
The key will be Barham holding the numbers on the board and not getting eroded by the "old Essendon " back room .

If we’re going to sack him because we think he’s s**t at his job, why wouldnt we sack him before he has a chance to perform the largest part of his job again? The argument to leave it until after the draft/trade period makes no sense
You say that as if the largest part of his job occurs in the five minutes between the end of the season and the draft... in reality the planning has been in place for months and sacking him now sends a shitload of IP out the door, and quite possibly half the department with him.

That's why it's a change you make by choice at the end of the year, not in June or August.

You say that as if the largest part of his job occurs in the five minutes between the end of the season and the draft... in reality the planning has been in place for months and sacking him now sends a shitload of IP out the door, and quite possibly half the department with him.

That's why it's a change you make by choice at the end of the year, not in June or August.
Unless you are North and they all walk out :p

The key will be Barham holding the numbers on the board and not getting eroded by the "old Essendon " back room .
It goes beyond that... Worsfold was physically around for long enough under the same board and CEO. He got a new GM-Footy that went in a different direction and messed the whole thing up.

Wouldn’t other new and incoming list managers then just bring new IP with them? There’s obviously a flaw in the way we’re doing things so the risk is worth taking in my opinion.

I take your point, not the easiest thing to just give him the flick. Hopefully Vozzo thinks that a fresh perspective even with short preparation time is better than another offseason with dodo at the helm.

Also, any prospective replacement should probably already have their own thoughts on the FA market, draft, our list 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn’t other new and incoming list managers then just bring new IP with them? There’s obviously a flaw in the way we’re doing things so the risk is worth taking in my opinion.
You ain’t going to get that new ip in until after the draft. So if you’re going to be charge the department you’d be flying blind in that period. It would never happen.

The idea that we can’t sack a list manager except for a specific time of the year is just an absolute nonsense. We can sack a coach at any time and after any period of time, but if we sack dodo somehow all hell will break loose.
Yep we got told he has less say/power than ever before but yet is still too important to sack as it's the wrong time of year.

Even if he left tomorrow, you’d imagine Rob Forster-Knight would step up in the interim whilst a replacement was found.
May not be ideal, but if Vozzo etc. are sure he’s not the right man for the job, may as well cut him now and work around the potential impact.

You ain’t going to get that new ip in until after the draft. So if you’re going to be charge the department you’d be flying blind in that period. It would never happen.
That’s assuming we get someone from another club, which may not happen. And I disagree, there are some strategies we could take so that we wouldn’t be flying blind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back