Delisted Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
Wouldn’t other new and incoming list managers then just bring new IP with them? There’s obviously a flaw in the way we’re doing things so the risk is worth taking in my opinion.
He's not stealing the user guide for Windows 95...

Essendon's list and recruiting strategy

Preferences and stated needs of Scott and Vozzo

Relationships with players and player managers

Knowledge of the salary cap position

Players current salaries

Knowledge of scouts' comments and advice

Knowledge of our draft rankings and who we want to see at the draft combine

It's not just us losing it and potentially not being able to get it back, it's someone else gaining it.

Well we might as well just hang onto him forever if we’re worried about those things leaking. I mean, most of the things listed have nothing to do with the timing of the draft.

We must protect ourselves from the IP he has over all that success the club has experienced under his tenure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If, and it's a big if, the club somehow manages to oust him. He's going to strafe a lot of people on his way out the door. He'll use Sheedy's mouthpiece Slobbo to throw some hand grenades around the place.

Players current salaries

It's not just us losing it and potentially not being able to get it back, it's someone else gaining it.
In theory yes that would be an issue, but that issue would exist for letting go a senior coach, assistant coach or any member of the football department. Plus I doubt he’s going elsewhere with his track record

Surely If you don’t believe that someone is able to do their job well, you move them on & deal with the consequences.

The recruiting year ends after the draft, it’s when most have their time off/ changes to the department happen.
I'd sack him now, then tell his replacement to read Dodoros notes and draft ratings and then do the complete opposite. Worked for George Costanza

NFL teams seem to do ok when they fire their coaches/list mangers before the draft. (Usually the day a teams season ends)

You fire him as soon as the season ends so that the new guy has as much time as possible to plan for the trade period and draft.

Its not like the new hire will be a kid off the street with no connections or previous experience.

Last edited:
7a62c3952787f51f0ddce9e740efa2d4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say that as if the largest part of his job occurs in the five minutes between the end of the season and the draft... in reality the planning has been in place for months and sacking him now sends a shitload of IP out the door, and quite possibly half the department with him.

That's why it's a change you make by choice at the end of the year, not in June or August.
You could just get the intern to do it this year, cant be any worse than Dodo's form.

In theory yes that would be an issue, but that issue would exist for letting go a senior coach, assistant coach or any member of the football department. Plus I doubt he’s going elsewhere with his track record

Surely If you don’t believe that someone is able to do their job well, you move them on & deal with the consequences.
If the coach resigns mid-year that could be a problem, but like players they're generally paid by the season and paid out for the remainder of the season (and following seasons) if they're sacked. They'd lose their pay out if they went to work for another club or the AFL because of the no unjust enrichment clause. So it's basically just Dimma.

The other thing is that coaches don't generally have intimate knowledge of players' salaries, and while yes they do have their own ideas about list builds, if you sack them then obviously their ideas about who to keep and who to recruit weren't well rated were they? Otherwise they'd still have a job.

Assistant coaches have to be told whether they have a job the following year by 1 August as it's in their CBA, although they would not necessarily be privy to all of the list management discussions that would otherwise be required. Like players and senior coaches, if they get sacked they are paid out until the end of October and therefore relatively useless to any other club.

The idea that we can’t sack a list manager except for a specific time of the year is just an absolute nonsense. We can sack a coach at any time and after any period of time, but if we sack dodo somehow all hell will break loose.
No better time to sack a recruiting manager than before they **** up another period. Whether thats a minute before or after the draft.

Is he the longest tenured list manager in the league? (Or even all time?)
The position has only existed since the late 90s, so most likely the longest serving AFL list manager ever. Although he’s only had the title since around 2009 I think, so perhaps someone else held it longer

You say that as if the largest part of his job occurs in the five minutes between the end of the season and the draft... in reality the planning has been in place for months and sacking him now sends a shitload of IP out the door, and quite possibly half the department with him.

That's why it's a change you make by choice at the end of the year, not in June or August.
I get your point, but is it good IP?

If you don't rate his knowledge or decision making, why would you mind losing that?

Players current salaries

I don't mean to go two-thirds Yaco, and I'm being a bit facetious, but even if Dodoro was picked up by another employer (ha!), who would care about Essendon's strategy? Its proven to be garbage.

I don't mean to go two-thirds Yaco, and I'm being a bit facetious, but even if Dodoro was picked up by another employer (ha!), who would care about Essendon's strategy? It’s proven to be garbage.
I know you’re being facetious but I sometimes wonder if people graduated past playing Snap as a kid.

Remember that time Essendon wanted Langford and Laverde and knew Carlton wanted Langford and Boakhurst so we took Langford first, knowing Laverde would slide?

That is how you use garbage IP from other clubs to your own advantage. Doesn’t mean you go and draft Boakhurst.

That’s if whoever takes over actually agrees with those preferences, which they probably wont. And it also somehow assumes other clubs will know that the new person in the role agreed with the initial preferences as well.

It would be worse if those things leaked while dodo was actually at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back