Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
Well this was what they posted;

Which would suggest they believe Dodoro is the sole person responsible for our draft selections. Which we know is inaccurate.
Or it could just mean they think his style is out of date and not suggest anything further.

Or it could just mean they think his style is out of date and not suggest anything further.

If his style is out of date but he's not doing the drafting is it relevant? If they're unhappy with the players currently being recruited by RFK then perhaps they've got an issue with RFK's style?

Either way, it appeared they don't know RFK exists.

If his style is out of date but he's not doing the drafting is it relevant? If they're unhappy with the players currently being recruited by RFK then perhaps they've got an issue with RFK's style?

So he has no input in the drafting?

It's time to go Dodo.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Sounds suspiciously like you're saying he has no input. 🤣

Given the changes since Mahoney has come in, I think he has a limited input on our draft selections in conjunction with a number of other people, yes.

It would appear that his role has been changed such that he's less involved with the day-to-day draft scouting and selection process than he once was, and that RFK heads up that portion of the list management process.

So it doesn't appear that Dodoro actually does much then. The club could save a large amount of money letting him go.

Either he's stepped down as the draft's notorious strongarm which means the club subtley doesn't think he's up to it anymore, or he's graceful enough to see that 25 years was too long to be in control with nothing to show for it, either way it shows that he's way past his due date and it's time go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it doesn't appear that Dodoro actually does much then. The club could save a large amount of money letting him go.
He's supposed to be negotiating contracts with player managers, negotiating trades with other clubs, and presumably sweet talking players that the list management committee (or whatever it is called) have agreed to target – which includes Mahoney, Rutten and Madden. That's what he's good at and that's why they kept him when his position was under review at the end of 2020.

Logically, the list management committee should be discussing who they want to retain, who might change positions and what spots they need to fill, tell Dodoro what they need and he then has to go back to Forster-Knight for a list of who the best available players are in terms of gettable from other AFL clubs, state league players, U18 prospects from whatever games he's attended personally or scouts he's got contact with.

Dodoro takes that list back to the committee, probably takes RFK with him at some later points to give an overview of the available players and potentially shows them some footage, and they figure out where they want to invest capital – is it enough to have a state league defender and get the small forward from U18s, or should we get after this small forward as a free agent and get the defender in the draft?

Once they have a plan it's Dodoro's job to put it into action, leave Forster-Knight to do the talent ID and manage the scouts, Georgia Harvey does the admin, keeps everything organised for draft night, and then do what he needs to do himself.

RFK would also be the one doing most of the work talking to our scouts and interviewing players, families, coaches, school teachers about prospects, with the rest of list committee likely coming in later in the year to interview the top few and get their order sorted out, although I think eDPS said the other day that Dodoro does still attend games which I guess is networking and keeping himself up-to-date so he knows who RFK is talking about?

I have always wondered why they never showed any interest in Mihocek . I know he took a while to get going and a lot of clubs passed on him for a long time but it still grates me that they never really looked at him closely as his old man played for us and in the Sheedy era we would have been keeping tabs on a player like him. The season that he was finally drafted I remember commenting that I thought he was worth a look at as a rookie and the reason I was looking at him apart from the fact he was playing at Port and they are my original VFA side I followed was he was a son of a former player who I remembered as a kid.

I think they should keep Dodoro for another 20 years. Hawk fans love the bloke.
Or we could offer him up for trade and see if a team would take him along with Shiel, Stewart and Smith as a bonus.

Last edited:

LOL my head hurts from trying to work out if DUDoro is involved in recruiting or not!! My comment was purely about Adrian. I know RFK is part of our recruiting team. I have no idea what % DUDoro has in deciding which player we need or go after. If it’s 10% or 80%. I don’t think we need any of it. I’d imagine he would have some influence over the decision making, his ego wouldn’t be able to handle not having an input. I personally don’t want him overseeing recruiting or list management. Again - I believe the club would benefit greatly with a fresh set of eyes and possibly a different strategic outlook.

I have always wondered why they never showed any interest in Mihocek . I know he took a while to get going and a lot of clubs passed on him for a long time but it still grates me that they never really looked at him closely as his old man played for us and in the Sheedy era we would have been keeping tabs on a player like him. The season that he was finally drafted I remember commenting that I thought he was worth a look at as a rookie and the reason I was looking at him apart from the fact he was playing at Port and they are my original VFA side I followed was he was a son of a former player who I remembered as a kid.

Has been a fantastic player for Collingwood, I've always liked how he goes about it, and it's nice to see guys who persist at state level get a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back