Lowie01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2003
In limbo.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MVFC - 2009 Premiers
http://www.smh.com.au/news/asian-cup-news/advocaat-to-replace-arnie/2007/07/15/1184438150462.html

DUTCHMAN Dick Advocaat is poised to replace Graham Arnold as national coach next year.

Arnold, who along with his star player, Harry Kewell, yesterday denied there was a feud in his squad, has a contract until 2010; his role after the Asian Cup, however, will be to focus on qualifying the Olympic [under-23] team for the Beijing Games.

Football Federation Australia also wants Arnold, possibly in rotation with technical director Rob Baan, to continue coaching the Socceroos on a game-by-game basis until Advocaat is installed as the new Socceroos boss. Australia have a match against Argentina confirmed for September 11, while another home match against China has been pencilled in for October.

Advocaat's two-year deal with Russian club, Zenit St Petersburg, expires when the current season finishes on November 11. Zenit are two points behind leaders Spartak Moscow, with 14 games of the championship remaining.

Advocaat, 59, was initially interviewed by FFA in mid-2005, but countryman Guus Hiddink got the nod instead. But after a year-long search to find a permanent successor to Hiddink, it is believed FFA is close to finalising a deal for Advocaat to guide the Socceroos through the 2010 World Cup campaign. The first round of qualifiers kicks off in June next year.

Advocaat is a former national coach of the Netherlands, but significantly has experience with Asian football. He has coached both South Korea and United Arab Emirates during the past four years.

It is believed FFA chairman Frank Lowy, conspicuous by his absence from Australia's faltering Asian Cup campaign, will personally fund Advocaat's wages. The FFA's already tight financial predicament will be exacerbated if the Socceroos fail to win the Asian Cup, meaning they will miss out on a $1.5 million boost for qualifying for the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.

I'm not a fan of Advocaat, but in the current climate, anyone will do.

Advocaat is a knob.

So is Arnold. But Arnold is crap.

True. He's got experience in Asian football which is a huge plus at the moment.

It wouldn't take much for Arnold to get experienced in Asian football but he's still not the right man for the job. But then I'm not a big wrap for Houllier either. We don't need a manager who sits at press conferences and blames players for his ineptness. The FFA should have thrown all the dollars that were necessary at Pekerman. Another FFA **** up and another step back for football in Australia.

Knob's a bit strong imo, you don't become Dutch national coach twice if you have no clue.

His first coaching experience was leading Holland to the 1/4 finals at the world cup in '94, losing against later winners Brazil 3-2 after a last minute strike from Branco.

Next he won a Dutch cup and a championship with PSV in 2 seasons. Then he can't have been that bad at Rangers winning 2 leagues and some cups before moving up a function.

Back for Holland he picked up a Dutch squad on its way down, not the easiest job, and got beaten by host Portugal in the semi-finals at Euro 2004. With Korea he wasn't bad - beating Togo and draw against France.

He might not be Hiddink but he's a proven great coach.

Knob's a bit strong imo, you don't become Dutch national coach twice if you have no clue.

His first coaching experience was leading Holland to the 1/4 finals at the world cup in '94, losing against later winners Brazil 3-2 after a last minute strike from Branco.

Next he won a Dutch cup and a championship with PSV in 2 seasons. Then he can't have been that bad at Rangers winning 2 leagues and some cups before moving up a function.

Back for Holland he picked up a Dutch squad on its way down, not the easiest job, and got beaten by host Portugal in the semi-finals at Euro 2004. With Korea he wasn't bad - beating Togo and draw against France.

He might not be Hiddink but he's a proven great coach.

advocaat is useless, yes he might have coached the Dutch twice, the reason why he was fired after euro 2004 is because he was so defensive.
Against portugal when they where in the game Advocaat refused to change things up only replacing like for like players, thus not bring on an attacking formation.

Even with South Korea in the 06 world cup he did s**t all they didn’t even make it out of the group stage, he might have lead PSV to success although these days that doesn’t seem to be so hard as the dutch league is so fickle

overall not a wise choice

advocaat is useless, yes he might have coached the Dutch twice, the reason why he was fired after euro 2004 is because he was so defensive.
Against portugal when they where in the game Advocaat refused to change things up only replacing like for like players, thus not bring on an attacking formation.

He copped it heavily in the media for taking off Robben against the Czechs (which was a mistake, but all coaches make them), but no way that Dutch team was good enough to start playing attacking football in Portugal against Portugal that day. The Portuguese would've rolled them. The better team won that day, that's all.

It's easy to say he played defensive and all, but what does his successor do? Play even more defensive! And he's still in the job, so it must be the Dutch FA realises now it's the way they have to play with this generation.

da_daman said:
Even with South Korea in the 06 world cup he did s**t all they didn’t even make it out of the group stage, he might have lead PSV to success although these days that doesn’t seem to be so hard as the dutch league is so fickle

So do you mean Advocaat is useless because he didn't beat Portugal in Euro semi final in Portugal with an average Dutch squad and he lost to Switzerland, a team that didn't cop a single goal in the world cup?

Who are you expecting to come over here then? Scolari? He's useless too, you know, he couldn't beat Greece at home and never looked like scoring against France last year.

Korea were never favourites to make it out of that group, especially considering the tournament was in Europe and European countries always perform better on their continent.

A good coach is not just about being a good tactiction. There are dozens of factors, including cost, length of contract, location, systems, leadership,etc.

I could handle a more defensive Australia because at the moment no defence exists.

So do you mean Advocaat is useless because he didn't beat Portugal in Euro semi final in Portugal with an average Dutch squad and he lost to Switzerland, a team that didn't cop a single goal in the world cup?

Who are you expecting to come over here then? Scolari? He's useless too, you know, he couldn't beat Greece at home and never looked like scoring against France last year.

Korea were never favourites to make it out of that group, especially considering the tournament was in Europe and European countries always perform better on their continent.

ok it might be a bit harsh, but do you seriously think that advocaat is a good choice

Its good an all to say that korea were never favourites to make it out, explain that to their fans, although i cant exactly remember how well they went it wasnt to well from what i remember

He might have had success at rangers, how ever i doubt many ppl would hold that highly regarded for international success

After he left rangers he went to borussia moenchengladbach, by where he couldnt even lift the team out of the bottom half of the table finishing just above relgation from what i remember.[/quote]

Why?
I know very little about this guy. You hardly post here, tell your reasons please.
The FFA are only keen on Advocaat because of the fact they've done their nuts over the Dutch style, which is fair enough. If you look at the underage Dutch teams they're going to have some great players in years to come replacing some greats. Lowy is prepared to pay Advocaats entire salary out of his own pocket. If that doesn't tell you we have the "Dutch rush" then nothing will. Baan, if given the opportunity, will technically turn the younger players into technically serious players but it's not going to happen overnight. What did Advocaat do with Korea? Nothing. We did better at the WC than they did. Pekerman should have been given the job with an open cheque book.
I've already stated anyone with European or Sth American experience would be better than the current situation.
ANYTHING would be better than the current situation. I don't have a problem with the FFA looking at the Dutch coaches and would expect them to do so anyway after Hiddink but we need to get our footskills into order. I would personally love to see Australia miss every world cup until futsal became big here because once that happens, we'll start churning out some technically great players.

ok it might be a bit harsh, but do you seriously think that advocaat is a good choice

Its good an all to say that korea were never favourites to make it out, explain that to their fans, although i cant exactly remember how well they went it wasnt to well from what i remember

He might have had success at rangers, how ever i doubt many ppl would hold that highly regarded for international success

After he left rangers he went to borussia moenchengladbach, by where he couldnt even lift the team out of the bottom half of the table finishing just above relgation from what i remember.

Well I'd prefer Hiddink, Scolari, Hitzfeld or Mourinho too, but realistically I think he's one of the best we can get.

The thing with the likes of PSV and Rangers is that you can only do wrong. You're shit when you don't win the league and if you win it, well, you were supposed to, forgetting Celtic, Ajax, Feyenoord and AZ are still out there as well.

M'gladbach was a miss, I forgot about that, but they were in a miserable shape when he took over. It doesn't look like he would've got much help from the board to rebuild the squad either, they got relegated this season.

With Korea he did well enough imo. Beating Togo, draw against France (coming back from a goal down) and then losing to a strong Switzerland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I'd prefer Hiddink, Scolari, Hitzfeld or Mourinho too, but realistically I think he's one of the best we can get.

could always wait one more year as Hitzfeld might have alot of free time on his hands if Bayern dont win the league this year will all the signings he surely will be given the sack.

Since Bayern sacked Magath dont know what his been up to, tho i reakon he would be right for the job contract might be fairly high

i also agree with a previous poster who states that we are goin Dutch Crazy i just hope that we dont put all out eggs in the dutch basket and explore all avenues.

Oh yea forgot that klinsmann is also out of a job, note that he did decline the US job and that he actually live there but it is worth a shot. i personally believe that he did extremely well with the germans last yr provding that had a young midfield and defence also note that the cup was held in their home soil

I would personally love to see Australia miss every world cup until futsal became big here because once that happens, we'll start churning out some technically great players.
Thats a very strange statement. Nations like Italy and Germany don't win futsal world championships but win World Cups and have some very good technical players. Whilst its good to have better futsal players I don't think its a priority.

I'd rather have a coach that will enchance/develop our own unique style of play that takes characteristics of Australia and Australians in sport.
Guus was heading that way but left too early.

Kompany is owning this thread.

His managerial record is impressive, he's an experienced coach and most of all.... who cares if he's defensive?

We're in a transition period at the moment and attacking quality isn't a strongpoint.

Play to your strengths. Football is a results game.

He sounds like he'd be perfect.

Anything is better than Arnold. He's managed some top teams, not cruby Northern Spirit teams. He has a welath of experience and is at least professional -unlike Arnold who looks ametuerish with his comments and actions.

What did Advocaat do with Korea? Nothing. We did better at the WC than they did.

Korea's results were not too dissimilar to ours. In the group stage they won 1, drew 1 and lost 1, which is the same win ratio as we had in the group stage. It's just that in their group that didn't get them through, for us it did.

They weren't too bad at all really, even if they weren't quite as successful as us.

Recently been named manager of Deportivo Toluca in Mexico.

Remove this Banner Ad

Advocaat to be next Australia boss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back