AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Qatar Champions)

Who do you think will win AFC Asian Cup 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Souttar is very underdone. Has played 86mins for Leiceter in the Championship this year, what a terrible buy he was for them last season.
yeah it was. overreaction to a player who had a good world cup but playing in a system that absolutely suited him and hid his deficiencies. he's a championship level player at best and even at that level he's probably no guaranteed starter (for a lower side).

Japan will still cruise to the semis without him (well, should).

It's hard to see us winning with that squad, especially compared to Japan and S. Korea but given we exceeded expectations in the WC, we're not completely without a chance.
Arnold is good at coaching against better teams, knows how to set-up a team defensively and restrict the opposition. he's definitely a good coach in that respect.

Robertson ripped his hammy badly for Portsmouth on weekend and is out for the season, no good for Olympic qualifiers either.

Ah shite. Maybe if he was in the Asian Cup squad this wouldn't have happened!!

Should be good for Paris 24 (presuming we qualify).

don't think it matters, reckon Gauci is already comparable to him, if not better. doesn't have the experience which is the only question mark but don't tihnk we lose anything if Ryan doesn't play.

I'd like to see Gauci as #1 going forward as long as he gets his next move correct. I expect him to join either a Championship side or a lower level PL side. Matt Ryan is a solid keeper and a fantastic servant for the Socceroos but he's no Mark Schwarzer. Arnold needs to have faith in the next generation of players to take over from the likes of Leckie, Behich, Duke, Ryan etc etc.

Pumped for this.

I remember we belted India 4-0 back in the 2011 Asian Cup in our first game. I think it was our first. I was surprised we lost that Asian Cup final to Japan. I thought that was ours. But I really had the faith going into 2015 on home soil. Like the mighty Pies triumph last year, I envisioned that one. Written in the stars.

Love a good International Tournament and we got the ACN as well so bloody good times. Pre-Euro feast. Which will have the Copa America as a nice little desert.

UP THA AUSSIES!!!!!!!!

Pumped for this.

I remember we belted India 4-0 back in the 2011 Asian Cup in our first game. I think it was our first. I was surprised we lost that Asian Cup final to Japan. I thought that was ours. But I really had the faith going into 2015 on home soil. Like the mighty Pies triumph last year, I envisioned that one. Written in the stars.

Love a good International Tournament and we got the ACN as well so bloody good times. Pre-Euro feast. Which will have the Copa America as a nice little desert.

UP THA AUSSIES!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately our first Asian Cup was 2007 where we barely drew against Oman (who were a lot worse at the time), lost to Iraq(who won from nowhere tbh) and only made the quarters because we belted Thailand.

Unfortunately our first Asian Cup was 2007 where we barely drew against Oman (who were a lot worse at the time), lost to Iraq(who won from nowhere tbh) and only made the quarters because we belted Thailand.
Pretty sure Graham Arnold was coach for that tournament too

Yeah 2007 was a debacle, a real opportunity lost given the quality of the squad. Arnold was not ready for the job and couldn’t handle the big personalities.

I knew we were in trouble when they said the heat was a worry and they were going to play slowly for 60 minutes before trying at the end of games!

Arnie also started Kisnorbo for the first two games and he was utter trash.

That h2h on Qatar was a gift. No way they were losing or not winning that. One way or another.

I didn't get on, but I should have. They should be a gold mine in the group at least but I'm not sure who else they have. Remember last Asian Cup lol? Scored like 23 goals or some bullshit. They'll give them another huge showing for the shit show they dished up at The 2022 World Cup.

On that 2007 Asian Cup yeah I remember we didn't do as well as what we thought or what we would have liked but we made the quarters at least and only went out via shootout to Japan. Who would beat us again in that 2011 final. You guys are right though. I just remembered that now after checking the score that our saviour Tim Cahill earned us a point with a 92nd minute equaliser. Getting belted by Iraq then beating Thailand 4-0 to go through at their expense on goal difference. We were -2 before the game in goal difference they were 0. Arnold copped it in the press and by us. Lucky we had such a great showing the year before at the world cup. Man we had such a great team back then. Look at the names. Look at how well we performed against the big guns.

Anyway we should belt India tonight I really am expecting at least another recurrence like in that 2011 4-0 drubbing. I don't know much about India these days but it's not Rohit Sharma and co we're facing ( even then we completely and utterly demoralised and destroyed them. On their home deck. When they were unbeaten. LOL )

UP THA ****EN AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 2007 was a debacle, a real opportunity lost given the quality of the squad. Arnold was not ready for the job and couldn’t handle the big personalities.

I knew we were in trouble when they said the heat was a worry and they were going to play slowly for 60 minutes before trying at the end of games!

Arnie also started Kisnorbo for the first two games and he was utter trash.
It was a humid cluster****.

The team wasn’t right. There will players clashing. Lucas Neill wanted to be captain etc

Pumped for this.

UP THA AUSSIES!!!!!!!!
Belted Uzbekistan 6-0 in the semi. Was a solid strong team.
Then went defensive and placcid v Japan.

Immensely enjoyed 2015. Attacking kept the ball, lots of young guns.

Incredible Luongo went from player of the tournament and doing nothing afterwards. Couldn’t get consistency with injuries and team he chose.

Really miss Sainsbury. He was great to watch, loved a pass and playing forward. Like Luongo, chose the wrong teams and career never really took off.

Incredible Luongo went from player of the tournament and doing nothing afterwards. Couldn’t get consistency with injuries and team he chose.

Really miss Sainsbury. He was great to watch, loved a pass and playing forward. Like Luongo, chose the wrong teams and career never really took off.
Yeah I remember that 6-0 drubbing. **** what a shellacking.

Luongo had his moment didn't he. Then rode off onto the sunset.

Really looking forward to this.

Should be a good tournament. Asian football is on the way up.

India shouldn’t pose any issues tonight. Big question for me is how strong a lineup we name.

Expecting us to go deep this tournament. Should make the semis at the very least.

Usual suspects will be there or there abouts - Asian football is still dominated by the top nations - but it is very slowly on the improve.

Luongo has had an odd career. Like you said, he was an up and comer who never really became anything but has seen a late career resurgence playing a key role in Ipswich who are seeking promotion to the Prem. A bit of a shame he retired.

Sainsbury only has him self to blame by killing his career by going to China when Bundesliga clubs were after him after his performances for Zwolle.

Luongo has had an odd career. Like you said, he was an up and comer who never really became anything but has seen a late career resurgence playing a key role in Ipswich who are seeking promotion to the Prem. A bit of a shame he retired.

Sainsbury only has him self to blame by killing his career by going to China when Bundesliga clubs were after him after his performances for Zwolle.
Luongo was an odd career indeed, however his career CV does have a Ballon D’or nomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFC Asian Cup 2023 (Qatar Champions)

Back