AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Fiery Hawk said:
Believe it or not there are 200 new names added to the database. Combined with the 700 names of AFL listed players it should create a better percentage. Given the randomness of player name generation you'll probably find that next season there'll be less players in the draft with current AFL players names.

When I played 10 seasons I found there were drafts where many of the names were new and others where the names were mixes of AFL player names. It's purely random.

In 2007 the hope is to have editable player names and a greater database of names to begin with so you can do what you want, how you want.

Like in Pro Evalution it would be great to make yourself as a player like an edit option!

I know dig mask is avalible but an Edit option so you could make yourself would be great when you could thinking the glory of winning a brownlow!

Fiery Hawk said:
1. could have sworn that was fixed but it appears it didn't make it into the game on time. It was identified so it will definitely be fixed for 07.

2. Same as in #1

3. Yeah that can happen but once you master marking it's not a real biggy.

4. AI will utilise the bench for other reasons in 07 like fatigue, mis-matches...it's coming...

These sound like ****-poor excuses pal!

IR Gurus are supposed to be a professional games developing company. Excuses like those above, dont cut it for me.

Smaller market for an AFL Game, so they dont spend the time developing it like a FIFA. Pro Evo etc.

Fiery Hawk, Can you please answer me this question I posted earlier.

BlackMamba said:
Fiery Hawk,
What exactly do the Input Assist and Direction Assist do?
i.e does Direction Assist only help you with running to marking contests, or does it help you with running towards the loose ball and stuff like aiming at teammates and the goals as well?

steviewonder36 said:

IR Gurus are supposed to be a professional games developing company. Excuses like those above, dont cut it for me.

Smaller market for an AFL Game, so they dont spend the time developing it like a FIFA. Pro Evo etc.

Indeed we are. It's unfortunate you feel like that but I can assure you we are doing everything we can and putting in everything we can with the time and resources at our disposal.

It's more of a case of yes it's a smaller market (the AFL game) therefore there isn't enough money allocated to developing it like a FIFA, Pro Evo etc let alone a market for it. It's unfortunate but that's the harsh reality. We do our best to deal with it however.

BlackMamba said:
Fiery Hawk,
What exactly do the Input Assist and Direction Assist do?
i.e does Direction Assist only help you with running to marking contests, or does it help you with running towards the loose ball and stuff like aiming at teammates and the goals as well?

Direction assist sends your kicks towards goal and your players towards the ball. Which could be problem if the ball is about to cross the goal line in your goals and your guy decides to go touch it. But it's very handy for getting your guys to marking contests on time.

Input assist makes the task of timing button pressing for marks etc a lot easier.

We weren't too sure whether these options were worthy to be included. The jury is still out on them so if you guys can give us feedback it would be much appreciated.

steviewonder36 said:

Dont like it, dont buy it. Simple really. BTW they arent "excuses"

RoosterLad said:
Reading a few of the above posts it seems that NORMAL is quite difficult. That is EXCELLENT to hear. I dont want a game where a few go's on normal and you win easy, then move to hard and dominate within half a season.

speaking of which...are folks using tactics in all difficulty modes? Just curious.

Fiery Hawk said:
Indeed we are. It's unfortunate you feel like that but I can assure you we are doing everything we can and putting in everything we can with the time and resources at our disposal.

It's more of a case of yes it's a smaller market (the AFL game) therefore there isn't enough money allocated to developing it like a FIFA, Pro Evo etc let alone a market for it. It's unfortunate but that's the harsh reality. We do our best to deal with it however.

Fair enough, I was probably a little harsh.

Things is, that although you dont have the money or the resources available to create something as polished as the EA Sports games, the game still comes up short every year its released.

I still remember AFL 98 with a certain fondness, to me its still possibly the best AFL game made. AFL 2003 came close.

Aussie Rules is a great game, and i still hope, one day we can get a faithful representation of it in video game form.

Bout time IRGurus put some effort into updating their website too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

steviewonder36 said:
Not excuses!

Please explain why?

An excuse is defending why you did or didnt do something.

Numbers 1 and 2 just state that FH thought they were in. Not being a programmer he/she could never know that with 100% certainty.

Number 3 is just stating that it wont be as bad once you are good at marking. In other words, play the game a bit more and you'll be right.

Number 4 is doing what FH has been doing all along. Stating that 07 will be much better, but 06 was mainly about the gameplay. Getting the basics right which have been so wrong for so long. If you had read the previous 200 pages, you'd probably know that already.

BTW EA AFL 98 was crap.

I really don't understand this. I don't know whether I should buy it or not. Everything started positive now it's getting negative which is what I thought would eventually happen. So have we basically established it as an improvement but still coming up short? Or is it an improvement and now 2007 is just seeking to add and polish up the 2006 effort? Or is it simply 2006 is crap let's do what we do every other year and hope 2007 is better?

Fiery Hawk said:
Direction assist sends your kicks towards goal and your players towards the ball. Which could be problem if the ball is about to cross the goal line in your goals and your guy decides to go touch it. But it's very handy for getting your guys to marking contests on time.

Input assist makes the task of timing button pressing for marks etc a lot easier.

We weren't too sure whether these options were worthy to be included. The jury is still out on them so if you guys can give us feedback it would be much appreciated.

Well I feel direction assist is needed as the comp knows straight after a kick which way to run to the marking contest whilst it takes a human player that extra second to figure out who they are and where to run to get to the marking contest which is more than enough time for the cpu to get the mark.

I think direction assist for kicking at goal should be a seperate option as I only need the "run to the mark contest" part of it.

I dont use input assist.

A suggestion would be to make the comp not so quick to get to the mark contest (With direction Assist OFF, I cant get a single mark!) and also, off the topic but, the cpu never runs with the ball nor kicks short that often - a few things I hope can be improved in 07...

I think this game is a great multiplayer game actually. Most of these niggles would be fixed in multiplayer such as the CPU never running with the ball or kicking short and the forwards dominating etc etc.

Borgsta said:
An excuse is defending why you did or didnt do something.

Numbers 1 and 2 just state that FH thought they were in. Not being a programmer he/she could never know that with 100% certainty.

Number 3 is just stating that it wont be as bad once you are good at marking. In other words, play the game a bit more and you'll be right.

Number 4 is doing what FH has been doing all along. Stating that 07 will be much better, but 06 was mainly about the gameplay. Getting the basics right which have been so wrong for so long. If you had read the previous 200 pages, you'd probably know that already.

BTW EA AFL 98 was crap.

Really, You sound like your on the payroll to me.

AFL98 wasn't perfect, but it would still be close to the best AFL/VFL game available in video game form.

Are you old enough to remember the VFL game on the Commodore 64?

steviewonder36 said:
Really, You sound like your on the payroll to me.

AFL98 wasn't perfect, but it would still be close to the best AFL/VFL game available in video game form.

Are you old enough to remember the VFL game on the Commodore 64?

Really?? Someone in Japan who can never play the game due to not having a PS2 and cant do anything to help the game, sounds like he is on the payroll?

AFL 98 was a shocker IMO. I still think the Nintendo version was the best.

Yep I am.

Personally, in the 2004 version I felt I had more control over the player with the ball than in this version (2006). In the 2004 version, players were more common to run with the ball and find players in space. Afl 98 was very good I thought, it was heaps of fun too. I liked the gameplay a lot more than the latest version.

Playing against the computer in 2006 version, feels as though the computer has no tactics at all. They just bomb it long, they hardly ever or if at all go wide to a free man or anythign alike. But they are just my opinions.

Grechy said:
I really don't understand this. I don't know whether I should buy it or not. Everything started positive now it's getting negative which is what I thought would eventually happen. So have we basically established it as an improvement but still coming up short? Or is it an improvement and now 2007 is just seeking to add and polish up the 2006 effort? Or is it simply 2006 is crap let's do what we do every other year and hope 2007 is better?

You can buy my copy if you like... it is dead set poo.
Although gameplay might appear to have improved when first played, the flaws come out one by one. Too many that haven't been resolved from previous versions, and added flaws.

End of season it just terrible. Trading is still a joke (I was just offered Farren Ray for Jono Brown and Mal Michael in 2007).
Retirements are just sad. I don't understand why they went down this path of bull**** reasons why players retired (Acting on a soap opera?? Chris Grant?)

Constant injuries, Tribunal sucks (Reported for pushing, 3 weeks), same names in draft... I am so dissapointed.

BTW, AFL99 is better.

Fiery Hawk said:
In 2007 the hope is to have editable player names and a greater database of names to begin with so you can do what you want, how you want.

Editable names would be a good feature for career mode...I find in other games a lot of names repeat and it makes it hard to distinguish players.

For 2007 I'd like to see historical teams (and Fitzroy :) ) and even a State of Origin option...

this is why i said im going to hire it first, disappointing to see the trading sucks, i thought teams would have different game plans not just grab it and go long

and what the **** is it with players retiring to act in a soap opera and ****? why make a stupid joke like that??

RoosterLad said:
this is why i said im going to hire it first, disappointing to see the trading sucks, i thought teams would have different game plans not just grab it and go long

and what the **** is it with players retiring to act in a soap opera and ****? why make a stupid joke like that??

you are a smart lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2006 Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back