Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be ok with it if they'd put the Brownlow on tonight or tomorrow night.

Would have been the perfect week to get all that stuff out of the way and have everyone be available to attend. Plus maybe an allstar game with players from teams not in the finals?

Would have been the perfect week to get all that stuff out of the way and have everyone be available to attend. Plus maybe an allstar game with players from teams not in the finals?
Sounds good to me. Definitely an opportunity missed.

womens football is pure tokenism and a huge waste of time.
Well you're entitled to you're view
We have a team and I'm thinking it might fill the gap for the last couple of months of the off season nicely. Our club is offerring $60 memberships to access the spotless games which isn't a lot.
As for other women's codes it's likely the that lack of a strong defence from being semi professional will lead to an attractive attacking game.
Given support isn't compulsory I think we both win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

womens football is pure tokenism and a huge waste of time.
If footy had been traditionally a women's sport, would starting a men's league now be pure tokenism and a huge waste of time?

It doesn't matter if the people up at AFL house don't really believe in women's footy and are just doing it to look good, anyone should be able to play footy at a professional level if they're good enough, regardless of gender.

No, the women will not be as talented as the men at first. Firstly, girls who could've grown up to be footy greats were given the impression from a young age that footy wasn't for them. The few who defied that have only ever been able to play for amateur or semi-professional sides, which have no money and few facilities. Starting the women's league completely changes that for future generations. The standard will rise, and going to a NWL game will be just as worth your money as an AFL game.

If footy had been traditionally a women's sport, would starting a men's league now be pure tokenism and a huge waste of time?

It doesn't matter if the people up at AFL house don't really believe in women's footy and are just doing it to look good, anyone should be able to play footy at a professional level if they're good enough, regardless of gender.

No, the women will not be as talented as the men at first. Firstly, girls who could've grown up to be footy greats were given the impression from a young age that footy wasn't for them. The few who defied that have only ever been able to play for amateur or semi-professional sides, which have no money and few facilities. Starting the women's league completely changes that for future generations. The standard will rise, and going to a NWL game will be just as worth your money as an AFL game.

Turn it up!!!! Would rather watch Essendon spud it up against another bottom ladder team.

WFL will be crap just like women's soccer, tennis etc.

This weekend typifies the lack of leadership at AFL headquarters. Almost every stereotype you hear about corporate shenanigans has got a board full of overweight, bald men in business suits who apparently meet every day to discuss what the company should do. In this case the AFL went down a different path and hired ultra smoothy Gillon McLachlan as el supremo in order to smooth talk us with corporate jargon that the average football fan cannot possibly understand. Gillon wants us all to "buy into" the BYE before the finals idea because one of his subordinates screwed it all up last year by not telling the Roos and Dockers to go forth and multiply when it came to final round team selections. So now we have a "Bye" before the finals begin, all due to a knee jerk reaction the AFL so commonly make these days. What does the corporate meaning of "buy in" mean? It means this, "we have an idea, we didn’t involve you the "fans" because we didn’t value you enough to discuss it with you. We want you to embrace it as if you were in on it from the beginning, because that would make us here at the AFL feel really good. Gillon is an expert at selling this sort of thing. They ignored the wishes of coaches, players and fans on this issue, they are dead set lucky that Geelong are drawn to play Hawthorn at the MCG this coming Friday night, it has saved their bacon IMO. No more pre finals "Byes" next year, i don't even like the mid season Bye, but i suppose we're going to get two anyway? Jesus wept!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back