Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

The bye has shown we could build on it coming years...but reckon the players and coaches will convince AFL to not have it next year. They want 2 byes but only the Finals teams are getting the 2nd bye.

The bye was pretty good I was able to marathon watch Lethal Weapon 1 - 4

And I also watched St Kilda v Geelong QF 2010, Geelong v Collingwood Prelim, Geelong v Collingwood 2007 Prelim.
Geelong v Collingwood 2011 GF
St Kilda v Adelaide 1997 GF
Adelaide v North Melbourne 1998 GF

Will marathon watch other gf's (aside from Hawthorn's) in the next month

GOOD TIMES :D

Without the bye, Lycett wouldn't be playing, I learnt that the bye is a great thing. And season 2 of Narcos made the bye easier, I learnt that its a good show for a bye.

And on another note, what would cost more, a womans league, or a team in tazzy? I know what I'd prefer.

That's called a top 10.

You seriously want 10 of 18 teams to make the finals? Way to reward mediocrity. No thanks.

What, really, is the reward? Not really any chance of any of those teams winning the flag (just as currently chances of 7 or 8 winning are almost zero) but does keep a little more interest in the season for teams.

I kind of agree with your point, but ultimately think that logic would suggest cutting back to a top 5 would be much better than 8.

Liked: a new set of jocks for Father's Day
Learnt: how to use a whipper-snipper
Hated: Better Homes & Gardens

The bye was introduced primarily to take away the advantage of coaches resting players in the final round to get an edge on their opponent in the first round of finals.

As noted on SEN it did achieve its objective this year. North Melbourne would again have rested half their side in the final round giving them an advantage over Adelaide in their first final.

Other advantages it allowed all of the players from all teams to rest before the big rise in intensity of playing finals football. Also it did allow us to catch a breath, give attention to other important issues like the Ted Whitton Legends game and the showcase game for the Women's new competition.

High 5 to the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bye was a failure. Part of glory that comes with winning premierships is the adversity faced in getting there. It is a grind, sometimes you lose players in the process - but it weeds out the weak. The strong survive, and they play till the last day - the last breath. Now the AFL have decided to interfere with the process (these fools just cannot help themselves). It was a poor move. I think it is fair to say it has been a failure. There is currently more interest in the Richmond board spill - than there is about the AFL finals. Says it all to me.

Abject failure. Last weekend was perfect. Good weather, not much happening, great time to show case finals. Now everyone has done their bolt/ neutrals are focused on other aspects of life and moved on.

Personally I will only be able to catch 2 games max where last week would have watched/combination gone to all 4. F**( you AFL and your corrupted shoddy practices.

I think every position in the 8 bar North's was up for grabs, so I don't think they were in a position to rest players.

As for North, they wanted their players to have a run out in front of their home crowd so probably wouldn't have rested them.

Two of the top 4 team's fans have another bye to look forward to next week. Rubbish idea.

North would have, bullies would have pulled half their team from the VFL so they didn't have back to back flights across the nullabor.

The "integrity element" of the bye stacks up. It is just a pity that it doesn't always have an important role in all decision making. Such as WC and Bullies getting an advantage by playing first

I don't necessarily get the "stopped momentum". It is simply the deep breath before the big plunge.

However if they are going to continue with it - do it properly. Move the brownlow to the Monday, the all australian Tuesday etc

don't know why there's such a stigma against resting players. teams that are good enough earn that right.

carlton, melbourne and richmond may have had full teams but they had checked out just as much as any north melbourne and fremantle team in the past. now lets make a new rule to stop that next year.... teams that lose by over 100 in round 23 lose a draft pick!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2016 - "Round 24" - The Big Bye - What you liked, learnt and hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back