AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably been noted already but how bad did gws shit the bed. Had both these teams on toast and choked.

Fair play to lions massive effort to come from behind twice this finals series.

As a neutral this is going to be a cracking game. I have zero hate for these two clubs. I dont care who wins but i think the Lions will win. Thoughts on who will be wearing their clash guernsey? Common sense would be Sydney to wear their Victorian games clash . The all white with red V... and white shorts if possible and the Lions to wear their home guernsey with maroon.

Thoughts on who will be wearing their clash guernsey? Common sense would be Sydney to wear their Victorian games clash . The all white with red V... and white shorts if possible and the Lions to wear their home guernsey with maroon.
Common sense will be both teams in their home kits because they don't clash at all, but knowing the AFL in their infinite wisdom and "muh tradition" will force Brisbane into white shorts and creating a contrast issue that didn't need to exist.

616f0f56456206d0d25289011686d03b

If Sydney really want to wear their Sth Melb kit then great, but they wont so this matchup is fine

Even worse if it’s the swans as it will be their 4th grand final loss in a decade. That’s entering Collingwood territory.
We’re already there. Collingwood have lost more GFs numerically than any other club by a long stretch, but we have the worst grand final win/loss ratio of any club, I believe. (That run of four consecutive GFs in the 1930s for only one premiership sure didn’t help!)

Sydney and Brisbane Lions have been the losing sides in the previous two Grand Finals. The last time that the previous two runners-up went on to meet in the following Grand Final was 1995. This will be the 11th time it has happened since 1920.

I'd like to wish both supporters/members of Sydney and Brisbane Lions all the best. Enjoy the build up during the week and enjoy Grand Final day too.

Just feel like Sydney HAVE to win this one and it could be one of those days where the footy just bounces your way.

Can’t be dropping 4 in 10 years - will that carry them home or burden them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even worse if it’s the swans as it will be their 4th grand final loss in a decade. That’s entering Collingwood territory.
I have a bit of a weird feeling how the Sydney Swans might go.

Swans lost the 1996 AFL Grand final being over reliant on Tony Lockett.

Swans lost the 2014, 2016 and 2022 grand final being over reliant on buddy Franklin.

Swans won the 2005 forward line with an average forward line. Yes Barry Hall kicked at least 60 goals in 2005. He kicked only 2 of the swans 8 goals.

Swans won the 2012 flag with an average forward line.

Ever since they put a lot of noses out of joint when they signed Buddy Franklin. Has him retiring lifted the curse?
I think so. Swans forward line looks ok on paper. Good enough to win this season.

They won the 2005 and 2012 grand finals with an average or solid forward line too.

Pies and Cats have shown the last 2 years you don't take injured blokes into GFs

Call it early in the week.

Mills has been rubbish anyway.

No idea who wins, but this promises to be an absolute belter. Both sides want to play a fast, open game. Yes there’ll be grand final-intensity pressure, but there should be some ripping passages of play as well.

Much has been made of the way both sides play at the ground, but their game styles actually suit the wide open spaces perfectly. Both sides performed well in their most recent matches there (even if Sydney’s was months ago). Whoever loses, it won’t be because of some silly notion that they can’t handle the MCG.

Bring it on, it’s going to be great.

Sydney and Brisbane Lions have been the losing sides in the previous two Grand Finals. The last time that the previous two runners-up went on to meet in the following Grand Final was 1995. This will be the 11th time it has happened since 1920.

I'd like to wish both supporters/members of Sydney and Brisbane Lions all the best. Enjoy the build up during the week and enjoy Grand Final day too.

You’re good with stats Lunchy. If Sydney win do you know how many times in history that would make the premiers lose to the wooden spooners?

I have a bit of a weird feeling how the Sydney Swans might go.

Swans lost the 1996 AFL Grand final being over reliant on Tony Lockett.

Swans lost the 2014, 2016 and 2022 grand final being over reliant on buddy Franklin.

Swans won the 2005 forward line with an average forward line. Yes Barry Hall kicked at least 60 goals in 2005. He kicked only 2 of the swans 8 goals.

Swans won the 2012 flag with an average forward line.
Our 2005 forward line was pretty good...
Hall, O'Loughlin, O'Keefe, Davis, Schneider... Probably one of the best we've had

Have to assume any Victorian on here bemoaning the fact that there’s no local team in it must be over 70 years old.

This is an ideal outcome for 99.9% of us.

Reminds me of when Treloar said all of vic needs to get around them for the 2018 GF. Yeah nah mate that wasn’t happening.

Going to be interesting, can Sydney reverse their bad luck at the MCG on grand final day ?

The last time they finished on top of the ladder and made the grand final, also didn't end well for them!
Very happy to have another opportunity.
I was 40 years old when we won the first in my lifetime.
So nothing for 40 years apart from playing a GF in 1996.
7 Grand finals, including 2 premierships in the next 19 years of my life.
That's better than one opportunity every 3 years.

There are 16 other clubs & supporters that only wish they had our "poor" record in Grand Finals.
A great club to follow based on our ability to be up there regularly.
Got to be in it to win it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final AFL 2024 GRAND FINAL - Swans v Lions Sat Sept 28th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back