Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 36.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 54 24.2%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Your group played your part in a brilliant game of football tonight. All the Geelong supporters around me were first class at the G tonight, as they were 2 years ago in victory. Have no doubt over the next few seasons the Cats will be having a major influence late in September, as your club always does.
I think the greater challenge in list management is still ahead of us though.

I think the midfield of a team is like the lead singer of a band. You can change the drummer, you can change the guitarists, but it's still the same band. You change the vocalist though it's a different band.

Right now we're half way through changing the vocalists, so it's going to sound rough around the edges while we get some practice in.

Loved the Lions' Fitzroy jumper tonight
🤣

Hate It GIF by BuzzFeed

Chris Scott Record - Preliminary Finals
Win: 3
Loss: 6
Win Strike Rate: 33.3%

Overall - Finals
Win: 14
Loss: 16
Win Strike Rate: 46.6%

Record - Grand Finals
Win: 2
Loss: 1
Win Strike Rate: 66.7%

Record - Semi Finals
Win: 5
Win Strike Rate: 83.3%

Record - Qualifying Finals
Win: 4
Win Strike Rate: 40%

Record - Finals with no second chance.
Win: 10
Loss: 10
Win Strike Rate: 50%

It should also be noted that par for teams finishing 3rd or 4th is 33% Strike Rate. (eg. 3rd place is expected on average to lose week 1 vs 2nd, win week 2 vs 6th, and lose week 3 vs 1st)

wow, just wow! some of the comments, short memories people!

I absolutely hate the cats, the bastards haunt me, but gees, how can you have cracks at the supporters after that game? especially if you barrack for a bottom team!! why be such assholes? what do you get from it? Funnily enough part of my hate comes from a now ex friend who thought it was a good idea to text me before I had even got out of the MCG that dark day in 2011. I dont do that, never have, because i know how much it ****ing hurts!

I crapped it when bloody henry the mummys boy kicked that goal, oh god, my worst nightmare, but it wasnt to be. (thankfully, I admit) but I have to give it to the cats, you could see they were done, they never quit and they were gracious in defeat. Absolutely what happened with king would have affected the team.

well done cats on a good season, you may not have expected it, but a part of me always fears it!!

well done Brisbane and I hope you win next week.

cheers, and we are still Premiers for another 7 days!!

wow, just wow! some of the comments, short memories people!

I absolutely hate the cats, the bastards haunt me, but gees, how can you have cracks at the supporters after that game? especially if you barrack for a bottom team!! why be such assholes? what do you get from it? Funnily enough part of my hate comes from a now ex friend who thought it was a good idea to text me before I had even got out of the MCG that dark day in 2011. I dont do that, never have, because i know how much it ****ing hurts!

I crapped it when bloody henry the mummys boy kicked that goal, oh god, my worst nightmare, but it wasnt to be. (thankfully, I admit) but I have to give it to the cats, you could see they were done, they never quit and they were gracious in defeat. Absolutely what happened with king would have affected the team.

well done cats on a good season, you may not have expected it, but a part of me always fears it!!

well done Brisbane and I hope you win next week.

cheers, and we are still Premiers for another 7 days!!

Because they have massive Tall Poppy Syndrome. Seeing Geelong lose is genuinely more exciting for them than their own teams winning. Pretty sad really but it’s reality.

For most of the people on BigFooty, Geelong playing Finals is ALL they have known.
Some even grew up never seeing Geelong miss a Final or only missing it twice/three times in 2006 then again in 2015 and finally 2023.

That’s a long, long, LONG time to have a team constantly being in Finals, constantly causing heartache for opposition fans.
So that’s gotta stick right into their collective minds.

Then when they hope, pray, or wish every year that the Cats FINALLY fall off (go look at where all the “experts” had Cats finishing this year, it wasn’t in the top 8 let alone top 4 lol)
Cats then pull guys like Rising Star Dempsey from the Rookie Draft or Lawson Humphries from the complete back ass end of the Draft and regenerate and the run continues on. From Geelong’s Prelim side, 75% weren’t taken in the first round.
That’s freaking insane development and talent scouting (Stephen Wells is a genius)
That’s gotta piss you off when clubs take guys 1st round and they massively underperform to expectations.

Add to the fact Cats players routinely take way less to stay and play with the lifestyle over clubs where they throw the WARCHEST at middle tier guys and stay stuck in perpetual mediocrity. It’s gotta do things to you as a fan. I know watching my NFL, NBA teams be perpetually mediocre it irks the **** out of you watching a great organisation continue to be great.

Just watch the absolute shrieking if we get Smith for perceived “unders”
BigFooty and pretty much all AFL related social media will be toxic as hell.

As for Tiggies fans that constantly invade threads about Geelong, create threads discussing Geelong or try to put the mozz on them every year in their threads, idk what to really say about them?
It’s like a weird complex where they think we are really close rivals or arch enemies or something?
That Cats fans actually care about Richmond lol
Not even top 3 on the list of biggest Cats rivals, it’s like Main Character Syndrome.

Genuinely cooker level conspiracy theories going on over there, they legit have threads over there where they believe the League is helping Geelong and holding back “battler” clubs like Richmond.

Eg. Geelong Mafia, CFL (Corrupt Football League), sHoCkiNg (Steven Hocking)

Tinfoil hat time
If the League was actually corrupt, we wouldn’t have a Lions vs Swans Grand Final coming up.
The AFL would want some combination of Pies, Blues, Dons, Tigers in it every single year as it’d make them the most money.
But you can’t help people who are that far down the rabbit hole.

Appreciate the kind words <3

Last edited:
Record - Grand Finals
Win: 2
Win Strike Rate: 66.7%

Record - Semi Finals
Win: 5
Win Strike Rate: 83.3%

Record - Qualifying Finals
Win: 4
Win Strike Rate: 40%

Record - Finals with no second chance.
Win: 10
Loss: 10
Win Strike Rate: 50%

It should also be noted that par for teams finishing 3rd or 4th is 33% Strike Rate. (eg. 3rd place is expected on average to lose week 1 vs 2nd, win week 2 vs 6th, and lose week 3 vs 1st)

Plus many more lost opportunities to make more Grand Finals...

Mark my words, Brisbane played their grand final last week, this has got 2022 written all over it.

Not a very good assessment by you. Brisbane did end up defeating Geelong. Too good. Brisbane were up for the fight and they prevailed....accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back