Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 36.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 54 24.2%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they have massive Tall Poppy Syndrome. Seeing Geelong lose is genuinely more exciting for them than their own teams winning. Pretty sad really but it’s reality.

For most of the people on BigFooty, Geelong playing Finals is ALL they have known.
Some even grew up never seeing Geelong miss a Final or only missing it twice/three times in 2006 then again in 2015 and finally 2023.

That’s a long, long, LONG time to have a team constantly being in Finals, constantly causing heartache for opposition fans.
So that’s gotta stick right into their collective minds.

Then when they hope, pray, or wish every year that the Cats FINALLY fall off (go look at where all the “experts” had Cats finishing this year, it wasn’t in the top 8 let alone top 4 lol)
Cats then pull guys like Rising Star Dempsey from the Rookie Draft or Lawson Humphries from the complete back ass end of the Draft and regenerate and the run continues on. From Geelong’s Prelim side, 75% weren’t taken in the first round.
That’s freaking insane development and talent scouting (Stephen Wells is a genius)
That’s gotta piss you off when clubs take guys 1st round and they massively underperform to expectations.

Add to the fact Cats players routinely take way less to stay and play with the lifestyle over clubs where they throw the WARCHEST at middle tier guys and stay stuck in perpetual mediocrity. It’s gotta do things to you as a fan. I know watching my NFL, NBA teams be perpetually mediocre it irks the **** out of you watching a great organisation continue to be great.

Just watch the absolute shrieking if we get Smith for perceived “unders”
BigFooty and pretty much all AFL related social media will be toxic as hell.

As for Tiggies fans that constantly invade threads about Geelong, create threads discussing Geelong or try to put the mozz on them every year in their threads, idk what to really say about them?
It’s like a weird complex where they think we are really close rivals or arch enemies or something?
That Cats fans actually care about Richmond lol
Not even top 3 on the list of biggest Cats rivals, it’s like Main Character Syndrome.

Genuinely cooker level conspiracy theories going on over there, they legit have threads over there where they believe the League is helping Geelong and holding back “battler” clubs like Richmond.

Eg. Geelong Mafia, CFL (Corrupt Football League), sHoCkiNg (Steven Hocking)

Tinfoil hat time
If the League was actually corrupt, we wouldn’t have a Lionsthis is painfully vs Swans Grand Final coming up.
The AFL would want some combination of Pies, Blues, Dons, Tigers in it every single year as it’d make them the most money.
But you can’t help people who are that far down the rabbit hole.

Appreciate the kind words <3
This is just wrong, painfully incorrect. Most tiger fans I know and of course myself included love the cats, our favourite memories all involve the cats. In fact 3 of my favourite ever games are Geelong games.

2017 Qualifying final
2019 Preliminary Final
2020 Grand Final

What’s not to love?

Because they have massive Tall Poppy Syndrome. Seeing Geelong lose is genuinely more exciting for them than their own teams winning. Pretty sad really but it’s reality.

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria

For most of the people on BigFooty, Geelong playing Finals is ALL they have known.
Some even grew up never seeing Geelong miss a Final or only missing it twice/three times in 2006 then again in 2015 and finally 2023.

That’s a long, long, LONG time to have a team constantly being in Finals, constantly causing heartache for opposition fans.
So that’s gotta stick right into their collective minds.

Then when they hope, pray, or wish every year that the Cats FINALLY fall off (go look at where all the “experts” had Cats finishing this year, it wasn’t in the top 8 let alone top 4 lol)
Cats then pull guys like Rising Star Dempsey from the Rookie Draft or Lawson Humphries from the complete back ass end of the Draft and regenerate and the run continues on. From Geelong’s Prelim side, 75% weren’t taken in the first round.
That’s freaking insane development and talent scouting (Stephen Wells is a genius)
That’s gotta piss you off when clubs take guys 1st round and they massively underperform to expectations.

Add to the fact Cats players routinely take way less to stay and play with the lifestyle over clubs where they throw the WARCHEST at middle tier guys and stay stuck in perpetual mediocrity. It’s gotta do things to you as a fan. I know watching my NFL, NBA teams be perpetually mediocre it irks the **** out of you watching a great organisation continue to be great.

Just watch the absolute shrieking if we get Smith for perceived “unders”
BigFooty and pretty much all AFL related social media will be toxic as hell.

As for Tiggies fans that constantly invade threads about Geelong, create threads discussing Geelong or try to put the mozz on them every year in their threads, idk what to really say about them?
It’s like a weird complex where they think we are really close rivals or arch enemies or something?
That Cats fans actually care about Richmond lol
Not even top 3 on the list of biggest Cats rivals, it’s like Main Character Syndrome.

Genuinely cooker level conspiracy theories going on over there, they legit have threads over there where they believe the League is helping Geelong and holding back “battler” clubs like Richmond.

Eg. Geelong Mafia, CFL (Corrupt Football League), sHoCkiNg (Steven Hocking)

Tinfoil hat time
If the League was actually corrupt, we wouldn’t have a Lions vs Swans Grand Final coming up.
The AFL would want some combination of Pies, Blues, Dons, Tigers in it every single year as it’d make them the most money.
But you can’t help people who are that far down the rabbit hole.

Appreciate the kind words <3
Cheers, I’m 60, I was in the cheers squad early 80’s, I remember when you guys sucked! I also remember going to a non Collingwood game because you guys were in for a real battle game, can’t remember against who, but I just wanted to see Gary Ablett senior smash them! It was worth it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to be disappointed getting that close to another grand final berth to let it slip. But as with a lot of our other recent finals losses, they had a crack and I'm not shattered. Until the Port Adelaide win, I hadn't even seriously considered the prospect that we might win the flag.

Amazing game, thought we nearly had it when we pushed it out past four goals early in the third. Ultimately Brisbane beat us at our own game: hacked forward 50 entries, being cut off (often uncontested) by Lions defenders and then rapidly moved forward to create entries in space at the other end. Incredible atmosphere at the game too, I was pretty shocked with 93,000 - think it was low 70s for the corresponding game two years ago (also with the other preliminary final in Sydney).

Good luck to Brisbane and Sydney next week: (along with Port) the two teams who've been thereabouts the most over the past decade without getting the ultimate reward. I'd be OK with either winning it: for the loser, it feels like another September without a premiership might break their spirit.

You weren’t sighted on game day thread or in lead up on BF. Yet once you were sure Brisbane had won you couldn’t wait to rush on here to gloat and rub it in to Cat’s supporters. Piss poor.
Rack off mate- I was doing this thing, you watch the game without a phone in your hand. Had Geelong supporters chirping in the build up and if you want to do that expect it back. What’s piss poor is a Collingwood loser coming on here telling people how to act. Go back to your thread and talk about how good a bloke Eddie is how ‘fly’ couldn’t coach his team back to finals. 🥲

lol I just swapped my allegiance for next week from Brisbane to Sydney. That was easy. 🤣

Good for you…Sydney are a great club, coached by one of my favourite coaches of all time…Brisbane and Sydney fans have a lot of respect for each other as we both cop the same disadvantages and disrespect by the Melbourne Football Mafia

I’m just not sure why you’d think Brisbane fans would care what you think or do 🤷‍♂️

Hahahahah

You choose to play your home game against big clubs at the MCG.

And now you want to sook about it.

Get over it.

It’s amazing how many Melbournites think this is in an argument supporting the clear advantages they receive in a corrupted when in fact the fact that clubs have to participate in creating a non-level playing field just to remain financially viable is testament to how lopsided the competition is in favour of the large Victorian clubs…the AFL administrators are called the Melbourne Mafia for a reason

Interesting that in the first 7 games of the season, Geelong were 7-0. For the rest of the season they were 9-9. In contrast, Brisbane Lions were 2-5 in the first 7 rounds, in their next 19 games they are 15-3 plus 1 draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back