Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 36.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 54 24.2%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s amazing how many Melbournites think this is in an argument supporting the clear advantages they receive in a corrupted when in fact the fact that clubs have to participate in creating a non-level playing field just to remain financially viable is testament to how lopsided the competition is in favour of the large Victorian clubs…the AFL administrators are called the Melbourne Mafia for a reason

You might want to add a full stop or two next time.

Amazing this corrupted Vicbias comp has a non Vic GF and 4 of the last 6 teams were non Victorian. At a guess 70% of players wanting out of their clubs want to go SA or WA which I don't think are in Victoria..

Brisbane will be gifted 2 elite top 5 talents this draft for a handful of mid picks. Not for the first time.

Yeh but vicbias 😂😂😂

Absolute bottom line is that Geelong choked .... nearly 5 goals up ... Brions with no ruck

It was a flat out choke

Let's not sugar coat it
Part of the reason Brisbane were down by 4 goals was that they persevered with that ruck option through the second quarter and allowed Geelong to continue their clearance dominance and momentum. Oscar O couldn't lift his shoulder to ruck, couldn't follow up around the ground and was getting run off his feet by Stanley. Tall forward line wasn't working for Brisbane and Daniher was being well held.

It didn't matter that Daniher wasn't winning hitouts, Brisbane weren't winning them anyway. At least Daniher was competing around the ground. Geelong also got a couple of goals during that time that, whilst capitalising on good team play up the field, the finish was arse and will end with no score or a behind a lot more often than it does a goal which isn't sustainable as well as some bad Brisbane misses up the other end.

In the end the injury probably helped Brisbane more as it forced them to run the ball more and back in their leg speed. It took Daniher away from goals where he can be a bit selfish at times and a wayward kick at others. Whilst I agree it may not be sustainable long term and as a Sydney supporter I'd rather him playing in the ruck then up forward next week he impressed me with how well he competed and even a couple of his defensive pressure acts. That 25 point lead wasn't as dominant a 25 point lead as it was being made out to be. At lot of that came from things that Brisbane could control and easily reverse.

This is just wrong, painfully incorrect. Most tiger fans I know and of course myself included love the cats, our favourite memories all involve the cats. In fact 3 of my favourite ever games are Geelong games.

2017 Qualifying final
2019 Preliminary Final
2020 Grand Final

What’s not to love?
Exactly

The game looks the way it does today because of the reaction to that dominance.

Wonder if Hocking is racking up his vids again

‘Brisbane is manning the mark too hard’

Lol

You might want to add a full stop or two next time.

Amazing this corrupted Vicbias comp has a non Vic GF and 4 of the last 6 teams were non Victorian. At a guess 70% of players wanting out of their clubs want to go SA or WA which I don't think are in Victoria..

Brisbane will be gifted 2 elite top 5 talents this draft for a handful of mid picks. Not for the first time.

Yeh but vicbias 😂😂😂
Pretty obvious that the tide is turning then I'd have thought.
Was always going to happen at some point, and when it becomes obvious, things like player movements start to work the other way.
Who wants to move to a Vic club when the momentum is elsewhere.

If anything it highlights that the excuse often rolled out that players want to play for big Vic clubs infront of big crowds isnt necessarily correct, they really want to follow success, which for the past 17yrs has been in Victoria due to the inbuilt advantages the league provides certain Vic clubs.
Thats changing and so are player movements.

I believe were going to see quite a difference in the makeup of the top 8 over the next few years with interstate teams filling more spots.
Adelaide and WC wont stay down for much longer, GC are on the up, GWS Brisbane and Port are consistently up there, Sydney are the Geelong from over the border.

Victoria have Geelong with its unique advantages that hang around, Collingwood are in the equation, but after that it gets shaky.
Bulldogs are up and down, Carlton havent proven anything for a while, Melbourne are a rabble, Richmond are years off, St Kilda and Essendon are no where near it and North, despite their draft concessions, need time.
Hawthorn are the great Vic hope which is obvious in the media hype, they know its getting thin.
Throw in Tassy compromising the drafts in the near future, footy is in better shape outside the fishbowl.

What about for coaches who have taken their team to finals in 86% of seasons in which they've coached said team?

Oh sorry I forgot, on BigFooty it's better to not make finals and therefore not lose one, than qualify for finals and have a 0%, 33%, or 50% strike rate in a given season....
Having the biggest home ground advantage of any team in the comp and endless amounts of farmland might help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interstate supporters have some warped idea that we all cheer for other vic teams. Once my team is out give me an interstate team flag over a vic team almost every time.
Eddie McGuire would go for Carlton before any interstate team. And there are plenty of Vics with the same mindset as him.

Eddie McGuire would go for Carlton before any interstate team. And there are plenty of Vics with the same mindset as him.
barely. the joy at Cats going out was everywhere last night. other than the dogs there hasnt been an opposition victorian premier that hasnt depressed me. interstate teams are merely our insurance against our real rivals when we don't make it.

Small minority, only vic clubs I don’t mind doing well are the ones who haven’t had success for a while excluding Essendon and Carlton of course.
As for this year, great to see non vic teams in the gf, good for the game and great for the vic economy with such a large influx of fans from up north.
Most true footy fans want to see the 2 best teams play off on the last Saturday in September which we have this year.

Last edited:
The 2 best marks come in the final series and not available for selection for the award.
It’s ludicrous really, stars are made in finals. The rising star should be no different.

Heeney should have mark of the year.
Jezza should have goal of the year.

But no, finals games do not compare to the mediocrity of the home and away season.

Do club best and fairests include finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Sat Sept 21st 5:15pm EST (MCG)

Back