Opinion AFL 2024 Round 16 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to a full round of 9 games, although sadly quantity doesn't always equal quality. Still, there was plenty to discuss so let's get wrapping...

Lions v Demons, Friday night: The Dees held on last week after a goalless last quarter, so they thought why not run with the same strategy and throw in another goalless final term? It didn’t work. The Lions are officially on a roll now, and are looking like a huge chance to nab a top 4 spot. That looked a ridiculous proposition a few weeks ago.

North v Dogs, Saturday arvo: More plucky stuff from North, staying close to the Bulldogs for most of the day and even pulling the margin back when it started to get ugly in the second half. Going to be a fine team in a couple of years.

Swans v Dockers, Saturday arvo: Can’t give good teams 5 goal leads and expect to keep reeling them in. The Dockers outworked the Swans in the first half and that proved the difference. No alarm bells for the ladder leaders just yet but they’d want to do something about those slow starts fairly soon.

Suns v Magpies, Saturday twilight: Put your hand up if you thought another Collingwood comeback win looked inevitable with a few minutes left? Yeah me too. Mature stuff from the Suns to wrestle back control against the reigning premiers and close-finish kings. Now for an away win to really prove their mettle.

1719735187410.png

Crows v Giants, Saturday night: While a few higher profile clubs have been slipping down the ladder, nobody seems to have noticed the Giants quietly losing their grip on their own season. With all due respect to the Crows, they played a solid rather than brilliant game, and yet they were still comfortably too good for GWS. Troubling times for the orange team.

Cats v Bombers, Saturday night: Will humbly admit that I didn’t expect the Cats to arrest their slide in this one, especially not in such handsome fashion! The better team all night and still clearly in the finals mix. Not sure where this leaves Essendon but I would imagine there would be some nervy supporters now.

Saints v Port, Sunday arvo: There’s nothing better than getting all your weekend chores done, then settling down with a cold drink on Sunday afternoon and watching… St Kilda and Port Adelaide. Am I right?? Oh well, at least we finally got an answer to that age old question about what happens when an easily stopped force meets an easily moved object.

Tigers v Blues, Sunday arvo: Not-so-super Sunday continued with another reasonably dull game… surely the Blues can’t be the best the rest of the competition has to throw at the Swans? I’d genuinely be more scared to play Fremantle in September. Yeah I said it. Come at me Carlton fans.

1719735471954.png

Eagles v Hawks, Sunday arvo: A couple of young teams on the rise facing off against each other. This one is still in progress as I write, but the Hawks look set to bag another 4 points in what has been a remarkable purple patch for them. Finals? Who knows.

Don't forget to post your liked, learnt, hated along with any other thoughts you had about Round 16!

I mean ... we did beat the Tigers at least.
Sorry Zevon

Sick Burn GIF by MOODMAN

I learnt that the round isn't over yet

Losing sucks no matter how much you have won.

Suns should make the 8.

Sydney need to stop playing like millionaires.

Dons stink, blues good knew those

Liked: Gold Coast getting behind against the relentless last quarter pressure from the Pies, steadying and winning. Not many teams can do that against the Pies.

Learned: Momentum means a lot in the modern game. It can come and go in an instant, based on an umpiring decision or a lucky bounce. Having said that, good teams stay switched on and overcome adversity.

Hated: The media sensationalising every missed call. The umpiring hasn't changed. The way the media go on about it has. Thousands of correct decisions every weekend, dozens of mistakes every weekend, but only certain ones are highlighted as being the reasons for a win or loss.

Liked: The Cats and the Suns winning.

Learned: Essendon are still soft underneath the Edge

Hated: Jordan Lewis using as many words as possible to say nothing of value.

Liked : Back on the winning list, Gold Coast beating the Pies..

Learnt: Bombers have not improved much if they couldn't beat my lot during their worst run of form for 20 years!

Hated: White shorts for a home game, Carlton & Hawthorn winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Adelaide managed to actually win a game.

Learnt: Sydney's Q1 weakness is going to start seriously biting them. They're currently the second best Q2 side (with a percentage of 184.39), the best Q3 team and the best Q4 team, but aren't even in the top half for first quarters. Giving up massive starts like that against strong defensive sides like Fremantle is unsustainable, and could end up seriously costing them at a critical moment.

Hated: Even more staging. West Coast were roundly uncompetitive.

Liked:

* 1 / 5 / 3 games for Fri, Sat and Sunday. In my mind, the weekend has started when the first game of AFL is played.

Learnt:

* Long-term contracts often turn out to be a thorn in the side. A number of players in the Giants are an massive coin and are not playing anywhere near what they are being paid. Many other clubs are no doubt in the same predicament.

Hated:
  • Umpiring inconsistency (as always).
  • The Score Reviewer not seeing a clear deflection off a Giants player's fingers and still awarding the Crows a goal. It was absolutely obvious from one camera angle and replay speed but the Reviewer didn't base their decision on it, instead relying on blurry slo-mo vision from a poorer angle.
  • The AFL continually trying to cover up clear errors. Apologise and cut out the BS excuses.

Last edited:
I learnt that the round isn't over yet
Yeah sorry about this one King. I was going to be out when the last game finished and had to get my not so subtle dig friendly encouragement at Carlton supporters in nice and early

Yeah sorry about this one King. I was going to be out when the last game finished and had to get my not so subtle dig friendly encouragement at Carlton supporters in nice and early

Well we missed something then :p

Hawthorn are a bloody good side.

I mean ... we did beat the Tigers at least.
Lol fair

Sorry @Zevon
No you’re not 🙁

Imagine losing to Freo in the last minute of a game
Would be very galling. So we decided we’d lose to them for pretty much the whole 120 minutes instead :thumbsupv1:

We beat the crows :p
Oh thank goodness, reinforcements have arrived 😍

All jokes aside I do love seeing the Blues up and about. You guys deserve a fun season like this.

Liked: Adelaide managed to actually win a game.

Learnt: Sydney's Q1 weakness is going to start seriously biting them. They're currently the second best Q2 side (with a percentage of 184.39), the best Q3 team and the best Q4 team, but aren't even in the top half for first quarters. Giving up massive starts like that against strong defensive sides like Fremantle is unsustainable, and could end up seriously costing them at a critical moment.

Hated: Even more staging. West Coast were roundly uncompetitive.

7-8 for first quarters same as Freo in 3rd, unfortunately it is 6 of the last 8 we have lost, but not sure it is a huge issue personally. It is more the ratshit first half v Freo that cost us. Only 27 points down over the 15 weeks in first quarters as well.

Having said that would prefer we stop the recent run. But the weakness is rather overstated.

Crows win was good, they looked the best they have in weeks.

Lol fair

No you’re not 🙁

Would be very galling. So we decided we’d lose to them for pretty much the whole 120 minutes instead :thumbsupv1:

All jokes aside I do love seeing the Blues up and about. You guys deserve a fun season like this.

They are good to watch the blues, randomly have a soft spot for them as my brother goes for them since 96 (he might be the jinx) and their supporters on here are pretty good in my experience. Prefer they do it in a year we are crap though 😂

Lol fair

No you’re not 🙁

We like the Swannies too. Newman and Hewett have helped turn our club around and bring a bit of campaigner to our list. Plus, other than Chad being a bit of a peanut at times you don't really have any players we dislike. Papsmurf has his moments too but we would have loved to see him in Navy Blue.

Plus watching you reduce Pies fans and players to tears in 2022 is always a guarantee to garner some fans amongst the Navy Blue contingent.

We like the Swannies too. Newman and Hewett have helped turn our club around and bring a bit of campaigner to our list. Plus, other than Chad being a bit of a peanut at times you don't really have any players we dislike. Papsmurf has his moments too but we would have loved to see him in Navy Blue.

Nice to see what Newman can do when he gets a decent go of it.

Were playing like a solid top 8 quality side would be. Were not even close to winning today as much as we should have. Utter domination across the board. Anyone taking us lightly from now on will most definitely lose.

Finals you reckon?

Finals you reckon?
Missed a golden opportunity to boost our percentage today. Should be over 100 now not 97. Left at least 5-6 goals on the table. That's what could cost us come end of the season. Lots of mini elimination type finals coming up starting next weekend. Still have Roos and Eagles and Tigers again. At worst we get to 11 wins which is exceeding expectations from the start of the year as it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 16 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back