Opinion AFL 2024 Round 17 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowsers, great weekend with some huge turnarounds in games. Plenty to talk about, so let’s go wrapping…

Pies v Bombers, Friday night: Pretty dominant win from the Bombers, despite the final score only being a couple of goals. Totally outplayed the Magpies from the second quarter onwards. Going to be tough for the reigning premiers just to make the finals now, letalone go back to back. They should probably count themselves fortunate just to have won last year to be fair.

North v Suns, Saturday arvo: The story will be "Gold Coast are really rubbish away from home" but how about we park that one and just congratulate North on a great win and a nice resurgence in the last few rounds? They were at their lowest ebb a few weeks ago but they've battled back brilliantly and are going to be an exciting side in the next few seasons. Also, Gold Coast are really rubbish away from home.

1720341515731.jpeg

Port v Dogs, Saturday arvo: You could set your clocks to this. The Bulldogs have a few good weeks, people start saying "look out, the Doggies are a smoky finals/flag chance" and then boom... a totally abysmal performance comes out of nowhere. Been happening all season. No excuses if you’re someone who keeps being surprised by it.

Cats v Hawks, Saturday twilight: Well somebody had to end Hawthorn's golden stretch, which sat at a stunning 7 wins and a one-point loss from their last 8 games prior to this. Plenty of better teams have gone down the highway and lost to Geelong, who are suddenly back in form, so there's no shame in this one. The young Hawklets will be fine.

Giants v Blues, Saturday night: I don’t think many of us thought the 2024 Giants had that sort of turnaround performance in them. A near-7 goal deficit magically became a 6 goal lead in a stunning onslaught through the middle quarters. Huge win for them to get some momentum back.

1720341497771.jpeg

Dockers v Tigers, Saturday night: I sat down to Sunday breakfast and some Fox Footy this morning and nearly choked on my black pudding when I saw the ladder. Fremantle are third. This is officially getting out of hand. They could genuinely end up second by the end of the H&A season looking at their run home. Fantastic year so far.

Demons v Eagles, Sunday arvo: Do I even have to write something about this game or can we just forget it ever existed? The Dees kicked a last-quarter goal for the first time since round 13. I think that was probably the most exciting thing that happened.

Saints v Swans, Sunday arvo: Full credit to St Kilda. Another side that I didn’t think was capable of that sort of turnaround. Evidently neither did the Swans players who let their guards down badly and got exactly what they deserved. Oh well, even the greatest sides have mid-season form slumps. Time will tell if that’s all this ends up being though.

Lions v Crows, Sunday twilight: In a round of comebacks Adelaide ran out of time to complete their own. Still a good performance away from home against a Lions side clicking into gear.

Don’t forget to post your liked, learnt, hated along with any other thoughts you had about Round 17!

Liked: Mckerchers run. Boomer levels of awesome, this kid is gonna be special.
Learnt: already knew sheezel was going to be a star but he’s gone far beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Generational talent. Don’t @ me.
Hated: nothing, everything’s great after a win.

Honourable mention:
saints win today was a great watch. Some of their footy in the second half was elite and has me asking why we haven’t seen more of that? Clearly capable.

liked: commanding don’s in when it mattered. didn’t kneel over when the pressure was on. jye caldwell will win a brownlow one day, or at least come close. oscar allen finding some decent form.
learnt: north are starting to play like a good team, sheezel, LDU again leading by example. it’s great to see. fremantle are smokey’s to contend this year.
hated: west coast are gutless away from home

Liked: North getting a win & Essendon taking down a "Scalp".

Learnt: I was correct a few weeks ago when I posted I thought the swans were gettable (for which I was abused) and since that post they've dropped 2 straight. GWS..where they hell has that been?.

Hated: Hawthorn's mentally weak performance against Geelong...turnovers and bombing it long into our forward line and playing like a team who was beaten b4 they ran out.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked: Adelaide lost without completely embarrassing themselves, and are now back in position for pick 4. Wins for North, Essendon and St Kilda really impressed me.

Learnt: All fanbases definitely have their share of over-exaggerators. I saw some GWS fans saying they wouldn't win another game this season last week. I know they'd been poor, but to win the very next game after that (against the number 2 team in the comp) is good value.

Hated: Umpiring is the worst it has ever been.

Funny: Sydney now have the equal third longest losing streak in the league. Can't imagine there'd be many other teams to do this while on top of the ladder.

I really enjoyed randomly watching Suns Roos and seeing Mckercher run most of Etihad to set up a goal . North were just very good.

Hated
Time will tell what Sydney are doing 2 losses in a row, but both close but todays was pretty woeful. Confident it's a blip like any decent side has (apart from rare exceptions)

Hated the arrogance in the loss though

Liked: weirdly enough, seeing GWS play at their best. I rate their gamestyle and most of their players. It's been a weird year without them up there contending. Reckon the footy world is a better place with them up and about. Also seeing North and the Dons get meaningful wins for their clubs.

Learnt: once again that this year is super even. Swans are nowhere near being the unbackable favourites people claim they are. We could see the premier coming from outside the top four for the first time since 2016.

Hated: my team once again only playing one quarter in Sydney. Hopefully we won't have to travel up there again this year.

Liked the Dons and Saints winning. Loved the return of Melksham. Learnt that ‘insufficient intent’ is a bloody joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Collingwood in white shorts at home because Essendon are cry babies.

Learnt: my team needs to grow the **** up

Hated: Adelaide in white shorts away with no thinking of the matchup (AFL to blame).
at least you have a coach who genuinely cares

-Giants rediscover some ticker.
-Bombers have too many style options for Pies, and Pies have just one, two if you include putting Howe up forward.
-Saints can play, it's just that sometimes they are not allowed to.
-Flag wide open. What are odds Freo Bombers, or Cats Blues, or some other alternatives not often considered, in the GF?

Liked: Happy for North. Giants just needed a win and got it.
Learned. Richmond are 2 wins with 62%. That's so much worse than I thought they'd be.
Hated: Clearly some Eagles aren't going at 100% every week. Shit for the comp.

The flag is a 3 horse race even with the blues and swans loss. The other team is the lions.

The other thing we learnt again was the dogs will never be any good if they do not inject serious speed into that team. They just get burnt on the outside all the time and if they cannot win contested ball it turns into a thrashing.

Liked the Dons and Saints winning. Loved the return of Melksham. Learnt that ‘insufficient intent’ is a bloody joke.
loved melksham returning as well, pure heart & soul player

liked: commanding don’s in when it mattered. didn’t kneel over when the pressure was on. jye caldwell will win a brownlow one day, or at least come close. oscar allen finding some decent form.
learnt: north are starting to play like a good team, sheezel, LDU again leading by example. it’s great to see. fremantle are smokey’s to contend this year.
hated: west coast are gutless away from home
Correction, gutless away and at home, barring a few aberrations.

Liked: Beating Hawks is always good, and we look to be playing good footy again.
Learnt: So far, Pies tracking same as Cats last year. Lost the first 3, had a mini resurgence but injuries and some complacency seems to have set in.
Hated nothing.

Last edited:
Coll v Esso - didn't give a shyster, liked Harvey Harrison & Ridley though
Liked: Port Power over Western B
Liked: Geelong, GWS Giants - the big big sound
Loved: Saints upset Swans :oops: :heart:
Liked: Dockers, Brisbane Lions

Liked: Cripps, Sheezel

Disliked: NM V G Coast - wanted GC. Free kicks 13 - 20 didn't help
Disliked: Hardwick

Last edited:
Liked: Geelong back in top four contention and I think at the very least, with our run home, we will feature in September from here. Also the current fancies to feature in this year's GF both lowered their colours, looking at Sydney's run home, they could easily drop a few more to bring them back to the pack.

Learnt: This has really been over a number of weeks, but you don't need to look too hard to find holes in the candidacy of any team, besides Sydney, who's in the midst of a two game losing streak and were also knocked off by the Dusty-less Tigers earlier in the year (granted they could easily have won all three and remained undefeated). And for everyone else, I think there's at least one moment so far this season where you could say "that isn't a grand final team, they're frauds." But you can't have 17 fraud teams in an 18 team competition: someone has to round out the top four and make the grand final.

Geelong is emblematic of this. Four losses in a row, six losses out of seven and we're still up to our eyeballs in the top four race, I'd go as far as to say if we win against Collingwood, we have the inside track. And even though I'm always pretty upbeat about our chances, I'm really struggling to see how this Geelong team is top four material. But to be top four, you only have to have a better home and away season than 14 other teams.

Hated: nothing really stands out, perhaps the meek surrenders from the Dogs and Eagles.

Like the fact that some games over the weekend the umpires appeared to ease up on quite a few silly frees that would have been called by the million the week before. It was refreshing , or was I going insane?

Hated the fact that by the end of the round a couple of games had non meritorious free kicks given out.
What do you reckon. Did a few put the whistle away and use some fair common sense.

Didn't like the fact that the Hawks lose Ginnivan and Sicily and the team framework turns upside down.
They have had a lively few weeks and looked very dangerous.
Geelong brought them back to being realistic. And just having a better year than the last. I don't think finals.

Liked Lewis come-back , but when he went flying I thought here we go , it was his head though, I think, but his leg in a collision went flying in that awkward knee wrecking manner you see , I thought he's gone.
I hope not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 17 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back