Opinion AFL 2024 Round 21 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Well sheesh, that was some weekend of footy. No time to waste! Let's get wrapping...

Footscray v Demons, Friday night: The Dogs probably felt they owed the Dees a thumping after being on the end of a few from them. Remarkable how consistent their form is now, and to think Bevo was nearly gone a month ago! Suddenly his side are right in the flag conversation.

Eagles v Suns, Friday night: Did you guys know that the Suns struggle to win away from home? I know, why hasn't anybody made more of this?? Well we saw it play out once more. Well done Eagles. Stuck with them all night and then worried them out of it when it mattered.

Roos v Tigers, Saturday arvo: Bizarrely the Tigers started favourites in this one, and for a quarter or so they looked the part. They eventually came to their senses and realised that North probably had enough number one picks already were further ahead in their rebuild. All jokes aside it was a good win from the young Roos.

Cats v Crows, Saturday twilight: Mammoth effort from the Crows to put in that sort of performance away from home. A lucky escape for the Cats in the end… maybe they’re just not that good? I’ll tell you somebody who is good though. Jeremy Cameron. What a jet.

1722762179579.png

Port v Witches Hats, Saturday night: Surely there’s never been a season where the top side on the ladder after 21 rounds suddenly looked like it couldn’t beat the Colac reserves? Guess we’re seeing history unfold before our eyes folks! Port Adelaide unveiled a revolutionary new game plan called “Pressure” and the Swans were so baffled they went down easier than an Italian boxer.

Pies v Blues, Saturday night: Remember back when everyone was saying the Blues and Swans were hectares ahead of the competition, and all the other teams were playing for third? Yeah me too, it was only a few weeks ago. Anyway, the Pies are still in the race for finals, and they have a bye next week which should help.

1722762098852.png

Giants v Hawks, Sunday arvo: The Hawks did everything right for 75% of the game, but they had no answers when Kingsley pulled one of the coaching moves of the year and chucked Brent Daniels in the middle for the last term. He and Jesse Hogan set up a pivotal win for the orange team. Don’t worry about the Hawks though, they fell short against a more experienced opponent but these are the games they’ll be winning in a season or two.

Bombers v Dockers, Sunday arvo: Hell hath no fury like a footy team scorned! The bounce-back Bombers looked fairly average for three quarters but the Dockers didn’t put them away, and that was all the invitation that was needed. Still a very tough ask to make finals from here but they’ve kept themselves in the hunt.

Saints v Lions, Sunday twilight: If there were any illusions that the Saints form from last week was real, the Lions put them to bed quick smart. Not even sure how St Kilda progresses going into next season... sacking the coach might be a good start.

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had about Round 21!

Liked: The utter chaos and weirdness that is AFL season 2024.

Learnt: How much longer can Max Gawn carry Melbourne?
Battle & Barrass can't come quick enough.

Hated: Dirty Dom costing our Rhea the WWE Women's title at Summerslam...prick...

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The top 6 teams are non-Melbourne based.

So much for VFL/Vic bias.

Needs an inquiry.
Agreed. Although trying to put Geelong on the other side of the fence is a little disingenuous.

This year possibly the exception that proves the 17 season rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Although trying to put Geelong on the other side of the fence is a little disingenuous.

This year possibly the exception that proves the 17 season rule.
We are on the same side.

Scott stands with Hinkley!

There is at least as much disdain towards Geelong from Melbourne based sides as there is to the interstaters. Probably more.

What a weekend of footy.
Liked.
Seeing the name Footscray, instead of Western Bulldogs.
Lions Jumper. Took me back and just made me smile.
Speaking of smiling, the Autopsy thread on the Carlton board after the loss was great reading. It reminded me of the days reading the funnies in the Sunday paper. Just smiled :D
Pies winning for Pendles, great night.
All the close games, we are having a ripper season.
Learnt.
Pendles can certainly go another year, great game in his 400th.
Anyone can beat anyone on their day more than ever now.
There are certain players that stand up in big games, then there are those who dont.
Hated.
Port smacking Swans, as we have to face them next week and they are going to be p*ssed.

Hated.
Port smacking Swans, as we have to face them next week and they are going to be p*ssed.
Going to be interesting to see how it plays out, but a response from us is not guaranteed. Most Swans supporters thought there would be one this week after we were pantsed by the Dogs last weekend.

Liked: The narrow margins in several games, teams bouncing up and down like a pinball on the live ladder as goals (or even points at the end of Essendon v Freo) were scored. These last three rounds are mini finals for every team from 1-11.

Learnt: This year it's anyone's flag. Of the real (current) fancies: Brisbane, Port and the Bulldogs, all have looked like their seasons have been in ashes at one point or another (the latter two quite recently). And Sydney, who've now lost - what - 5 out of 6 and just been belted by 19 goals and they're still third favourite? What a season. Win enough games to get there and haven't a strong enough list and you're a puncher's chance of pinching a flag this year. Everyone has looked like utter trash at some stage or another. Shame that my team hasn't really shown anything to suggest it's capable of pulling off a miracle.

Hated: The awful clashes between Collingwood/Carlton and GWS/Hawthorn. And the fact that I'm confident thesr amateur-hour issues: won't even rate a mention in the media this week.

Also Geelong percentage and what I fear Freo is going to do to it... likely to cost us 2-3 spots on the ladder at the end of the H&A.

The top 6 teams are non-Melbourne based.

So much for VFL/Vic bias.

Needs an inquiry.
I’m hoping for a Giants / Port / Lions / Fremantle Prelim Final weekend

Channel 7 and the AFL have buried the Hawks in recent years. Hardly any games in prime time. No Friday footy since June 2022. Only 2 Friday night games in the past 4 years and no Thursday night games… (Carlton 15 x Fri and 11 x Thu)

So here’s hoping the remaining Victorian teams are bundled out in week 1 and we’re left with the lowest rating, lowest drawing & least interesting teams from a media hype point of view.

What a weekend of footy.
Liked.
Seeing the name Footscray, instead of Western Bulldogs.
Lions Jumper. Took me back and just made me smile.
Speaking of smiling, the Autopsy thread on the Carlton board after the loss was great reading. It reminded me of the days reading the funnies in the Sunday paper. Just smiled :D
Pies winning for Pendles, great night.
All the close games, we are having a ripper season.
Learnt.
Pendles can certainly go another year, great game in his 400th.
Anyone can beat anyone on their day more than ever now.
There are certain players that stand up in big games, then there are those who dont.
Hated.
Why the **** did they rebrand to the Western Bulldogs. Footscay hits so much better. Bad marketing ploy imo.

Liked: Ken Hinkley making a masterclass plan late in the season to bring Esava up forward and play a more mobile backline to bring more drive forward from defence. It's going to be hard for teams to adjust and work out that sort of change in the short term. Not sure what to do with Marshall tbh. Play him as a backup on the wing?

Learnt - I've always been aware of this from when Adelaide Crows ****ed up a premiership chance in both 05 and 06 when then Neil Craig ran the players into the ground with what he identified as revolutionary science only to have them fail in finals despite being 1 and 2 in respective years. Port failed recently becoming minor premiers and bowing out in straight sets, and also prior to that being ladder leaders for 15 rounds then falling in a hole. It's a long and brutal season and teams really do need to start paying attention to the fitness levels of players. Sydney have again highlighted how bursting out of the pack early can be quite detrimental late in the season and I think clubs need to better manage their players. One thing I saw at the game on Saturday was how cooked Sydney are. Heeney is down, Warner is completely shot, mentally and physically. I can't see the Swans working their way out of this.

Hated: AFL not allowing the game clock to be adjusted but willing to have 17 seconds removed from the game before they make a review. Umpires need to be paid full time and for situations like that need to confidently make a decision immediately, or the game reviewer needs to make the decision within a matter of seconds. The AFL is amateur with these matters.

Why the **** did they rebrand to the Western Bulldogs. Footscay hits so much better. Bad marketing ploy imo.

Liked: Ken Hinkley making a masterclass plan late in the season to bring Esava up forward and play a more mobile backline to bring more drive forward from defence. It's going to be hard for teams to adjust and work out that sort of change in the short term. Not sure what to do with Marshall tbh. Play him as a backup on the wing?

Learnt - I've always been aware of this from when Adelaide Crows ****ed up a premiership chance in both 05 and 06 when then Neil Craig ran the players into the ground with what he identified as revolutionary science only to have them fail in finals despite being 1 and 2 in respective years. Port failed recently becoming minor premiers and bowing out in straight sets, and also prior to that being ladder leaders for 15 rounds then falling in a hole. It's a long and brutal season and teams really do need to start paying attention to the fitness levels of players. Sydney have again highlighted how bursting out of the pack early can be quite detrimental late in the season and I think clubs need to better manage their players. One thing I saw at the game on Saturday was how cooked Sydney are. Heeney is down, Warner is completely shot, mentally and physically. I can't see the Swans working their way out of this.

Hated: AFL not allowing the game clock to be adjusted but willing to have 17 seconds removed from the game before they make a review. Umpires need to be paid full time and for situations like that need to confidently make a decision immediately, or the game reviewer needs to make the decision within a matter of seconds. The AFL is amateur with these matters.
Marshall remains a depth player and only comes into the team if he earns it no more if this Hinkley favouritism, please.

Marshall remains a depth player and only comes into the team if he earns it no more if this Hinkley favouritism, please.
I think if Esava is doing well with Mitch doing well. A fit Marshall is better than an unfit Dixon

I think if Esava is doing well with Mitch doing well. A fit Marshall is better than an unfit Dixon

Not when you consider that it would mean the KPDs would move "up" to Georgiades and Ratugolea.

Right now Dixon takes the biggest KPD irrespective of his form. This is allowing Georgiades to flourish, and having Ratugolea up forward on the 2nd biggest KPD is giving Port an advantageous matchup, whereby Ratugolea can present as an outlet coming out of defence, and as a big contested marking target (in addition to Dixon) in the forward 50.

Marshall simply does not have the functional strength to compete in the air like Ratugolea and Dixon. He will never crash a pack and take a mark in that way - and that's a big part of Port's game. Functionally, he needs to remain out the side to keep the current setup, because the current setup is working well.

Not when you consider that it would mean the KPDs would move "up" to Georgiades and Ratugolea.

Right now Dixon takes the biggest KPD irrespective of his form. This is allowing Georgiades to flourish, and having Ratugolea up forward on the 2nd biggest KPD is giving Port an advantageous matchup, whereby Ratugolea can present as an outlet coming out of defence, and as a big contested marking target (in addition to Dixon) in the forward 50.

Marshall simply does not have the functional strength to compete in the air like Ratugolea and Dixon. He will never crash a pack and take a mark in that way - and that's a big part of Port's game. Functionally, he needs to remain out the side to keep the current setup, because the current setup is working well.
Makes me sad because I've always liked Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 21 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back