Opinion AFL 2024 Round 22 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

A round of changing fortunes in the snakes-and-ladders season that is 2024! I'm not sure anybody actually wants premiership favouritism, it seems to be a poisoned chalice. Anyway, let’s wrap up Round 22…

Swans v Pies, Friday night: Ten minutes into the final quarter you wouldn’t have given a brass razoo for the Swans to still be first on the ladder by the end of the round. Did that late flurry kick them into gear or did it just paper over the cracks for another week? Your guess is as good as mine.

North v Eagles, Saturday arvo: The first installment in the Andrew Gaff farewell tour! It was all going swimmingly for North early in the third term, but goodness didn’t the wheels fall off after that? An avalanche of Eagles goals got them back into the game, but with barely more than a minute and a half left on the clock they still needed three more to win it. Just… how?

Lions v Giants, Saturday arvo: The comeback kings from Western Sydney with a lazy 48 point turnaround. 81-33 after quarter time! Huge. A story of what might have been for the Lions, who probably should have been 9 goals up early. Top 2 looks all but gone now, and even top 4 will be a hill to climb.

1723362976799.png

Dockers v Cats, Saturday arvo: Too old, too slow, no midfield… level any criticism you want against this side and they just keep winning. It's foolish to declare anything certain this year, but it’s virtually impossible to see them missing the top 4 now. I’d have given you a million to one for that at the start of the year. Too good.

Bombers v Suns, Saturday night: Another away game, another loss for the Gold C… wait they won??! Essendon are you guys for real?

Demons v Port, Saturday night: Port fell a little short of their victory margin from last week, but a win is a win. Games between these two always tend to be low scoring slogfests. If you don’t believe me, go back and watch the last 5 or 6 games between them. Wait, that’s terrible advice. Don’t do that.

Blues v Hawks, Sunday arvo: Boom! Into the 8 the Hawks go, and who could say they don’t deserve to be there? Unrecognisable from the team that was being smashed and mentioned in spoon discussions earlier in the year, just as Carlton are unrecognisable from the group that was fancied for the flag. Two sides trending in completely opposite directions.

1723363159294.png

Tigers v Saints, Sunday arvo: Honestly I didn't even watch this one... did anybody?? If you did, and something happened, please tell me and I'll update this.

Crows v Dogs, Sunday twilight: Ooh are the hot and cold Dogs back? Just when I start commending them for finding some consistency, they stroll into Adelaide and stink up the place. Costly loss too... makes top 4 impossible and even the 8 isn't a lay down mizaire. Credit to the home side though; they've been miles better in the last couple of weeks. Darcy Fogarty is a jet.

Don't forget to post your Liked, Learnt, Hated below... along with any other thoughts you had about Round 22!

Liked: reversed the curse. Go SUNS
Learnt: maybe my team does have the ticker
Hated: Essendon fans throwing stuff at my team. And racist comments online. Stay classy (some) Essendon fans.

Essendon fans were blaming GCS for their team being so shit?
**** me they need to be folded.

Liked: teams are earning their spots in the 8
Learnt: some clubs need to learn what a rebuild really is
Hated: so many injuries across the league

Liked : winning at the Gabba after being so far down at qtr time

Learned : that a mere 7 weeks ago at the end of round 16 (15+OR) the top 4 were:
Sydney
Carlton
Essendon
Collingwood
Talk about a fall from grace.

Hated:
That even with the umpire in perfect position, looking straight at it, this was called “play on”
IMG_0447.jpeg

Liked:
  • Hawks played a ruthless game when they could’ve just beat us by 20-30 odd, yes undermanned but a great side puts you to the sword
  • Hawks are going to play finals (and deserve to)
  • All the other winners, mostly good games
  • Matt Kennedy at Carlton standing up with a strong performance in a battered team in one of our ugliest days ever
  • Ashcroft returning to form
  • Cadman playing a true 2nd tall role and still contributing
  • Heeney and Warners last quarters

Learnt:
  • We are no closer to determining a true flag favourite
  • Port can win ugly
  • Fremantle are still gunshy
  • The dogs are still too hot and cold
  • Jake Waterman is still second fiddle to Oscar Allen which makes for a ****ing crazy forward line.. and Darling is still a very good contributor

Hated:
  • Forcing Curnow to play injured for a number of weeks instead of giving a kid a crack, then watching him blow up his ankle
  • Boyd being forced to play out the game in major duress, public humiliation ceremony with 0 stats from 60%+ game time
  • Fly complaining about the frees against
  • However, I also hated the free against Cox.. he was clearly trying to control it

Liked: The Gold Coast result..almost better than sex.
Collingwood blowing a 5 goal lead and their season in 20 minutes.
GWS going around at $3.60...$$$.

Learnt: why do "experts" continuously get sucked in with the Doggies??

Lions 8.16
Dons 1.9 (4th Quarter)
WB 9.18

Teams blowing games is starting to become a trend over the last 120 odd years...

Hated: Injuries killing teams and North Melbourne WTF was that crap.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hated: Essendon fans throwing stuff at my team. And racist comments online. Stay classy (some) Essendon fans.
I do hope these comments were reported. Disgusting.

This Suns win I predict will bring a stiffer fortitude to the Suns, they can get a bit angry and that's good sometimed, they can win away, and they can fight back against odds.

Liked. beating the Roos despite having better draft picks ,better youth, more upside than the worst list in the Afl.
So many close games

Learnt, West Coasts oldies still go alright.

Hated Carlton's injuries. Who's gonna kick nine goals against us this time. (lol)

Liked: 3/4 time vs. Sydney and our prospects of 'Getting away with it: making finals special edition'.

Learnt: How other sides getting away with it feels for the victims.

Hated: Lachie "Breaker of Possession Chains" Schultz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learnt: Pies are their best when they transition the footy with speed, also learnt this team think they can tempo and defend the game like last year.................. the team HAS NOT LEARNT, same last week, same with Freo, probably other example games this year

Hated: The above

Liked: We still don't have a glaring favourite to win it, even better likely not Carlton or Essendon, so we'll keep our mantle as outright top of the tree over the history of the competition.

Liked: A much needed statement win on the road in what was essentially a final for the Cats.
Learned: It is actually possible for Geelong to finish top 2 and host an interstate side in a QF, which would've seemed like a ludicrous idea 6 or 7 weeks ago.
Hated: Our draft pick is looking worse and worse. :( :(

Liked: Josh Pedal announcing himself as AA candidate for every position bar ruck. Also Calsher Dear should finally get his rising star nom

Learned: Mac Andrew is following the Will Day path to stardom; slipping through the bollards that hold girthier players back

hated: Carltons injuries. Loved the big win, hated seeing stars like Curnow blow up.

Liked: A much needed statement win on the road in what was essentially a final for the Cats.
Learned: It is actually possible for Geelong to finish top 2 and host an interstate side in a QF, which would've seemed like a ludicrous idea 6 or 7 weeks ago.
Hated: Our draft pick is looking worse and worse. :( :(

hasn't the bolded been the case for GFC supporters for the past 20 years

Liked: Trying to cast my mind back to how I was feeling in the early season winning run and although in reality, those early season wins against the Bulldogs, Carlton and Brisbane were probably on par, it's been a long time since a win has got me as excited as Saturday. A massive chance for top two and should make top four at least from here. Even if we slip up in one of the remaining two games, I'd still say we'd be probably 50/50 to cling on to fourth.

Learnt: A wild weekend but ultimately it's resulted in the top 4 and top 8 taking shape and with the likely cut-offs (IMO) being 60 points for top four (you could argue 62) and 54 for top eight, that makes it look like a race between five teams to fill out the top four and only 9th and 10th having some chance of sneaking into the eight (though no form whatsoever to speak of).

It makes me wonder if we'll soon forget what a crazy season 2024 has been if it ultimately reverts to the traditional pattern in finals of the top four teams dominating and the recent trend of the minor premier going on to win the grand final.

It's probably a thread of its own heading into September, but the almost certain minor premier has been belted by 100+ in August as part of a 1-5 run from late June and has also lost to the wooden spooner. A likely top four side (Port) was smashed by 80 points at home as part of an 0-3 run and it seems that 90% of the supporter base want their coach to be sacked. The other top four contenders: went 3-6-1 prior to the bye (Brisbane), had a 2-6 run over two months (GWS), or had a 1-6 run with two 10+ goal beltings (Geelong). But all, besides Sydney are currently in very hot form and at this stage, it looks as though the old cliche of hitting your straps in August and September will prove especially true this year.

Which brings me to Hawthorn. It may be through clenched teeth and yesterday probably had more than a bit to do with bad luck and selection backfires on Carlton's part, but you have to give credit to Hawthorn, not just for how they've played over the past three months, but for how they've responded to every loss. Heartbreakers where they've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Port and GWS and a reality check butt-kicking by Geelong would have been logical points for a team of Hawthorn's profile to go back in their shells and start losing again. Instead they've come back the following week and beaten Brisbane, Fremantle and Carlton. I've always hoped that the 'premierships every decade since the 60s' circle jerk would be emphatically ended by them not winning a final at all in the 20s, but that's looking like a bit of a forlorn hope at this stage.

Hated: thinking back to what happened to Geelong in round 23, 2023. Same opposition, same venue. People may not remember, but we were still fancied to sneak into the finals at this point. And St Kilda had a training drill against us. This is our first game at Marvel this year against a team who's played there 11 times. This has danger game written all over it. There will probably be about 16 players in our team next week who played in the 2023 match. Hope they have long memories.

Hated; inaccurate goal kicking is a majority of the reason we lose most games

Love: Levi Ashcroft BOG in massive VFL win

Learn: that king and Cornes don't like the father and Son rule if it doesn't benefit their clubs Apparently Lions should not have any access to Ashcroft because they were premiership favourites

Liked: Sydney comeback, our clutch win, the way the Hawks are playing. Can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't mind if they won it all.

Learnt: yet again, no side seems to want it. Atm Giants and Hawks are the most in form. Dogs let their supporters down yet again, but let's hope they don't drop another like it. I think inaccuracy will cost them a flag.

Hated: not much, I guess injuries are never good, and I do feel sorry for Carlton despite going for Hawthorn, sad how their season ended.

Liked: Heeney and Chad in the 4th. It's a predictable answer but impossible to go past.

Learnt: Home ground advantage does exist.

Hated: Clayton Oliver's form. A genuine shell of the player he was who was one of my absolute favourites to watch. Hope he can turn it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 22 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back