Opinion AFL 2024 Round 22 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: Trying to cast my mind back to how I was feeling in the early season winning run and although in reality, those early season wins against the Bulldogs, Carlton and Brisbane were probably on par, it's been a long time since a win has got me as excited as Saturday. A massive chance for top two and should make top four at least from here. Even if we slip up in one of the remaining two games, I'd still say we'd be probably 50/50 to cling on to fourth.

Learnt: A wild weekend but ultimately it's resulted in the top 4 and top 8 taking shape and with the likely cut-offs (IMO) being 60 points for top four (you could argue 62) and 54 for top eight, that makes it look like a race between five teams to fill out the top four and only 9th and 10th having some chance of sneaking into the eight (though no form whatsoever to speak of).

It makes me wonder if we'll soon forget what a crazy season 2024 has been if it ultimately reverts to the traditional pattern in finals of the top four teams dominating and the recent trend of the minor premier going on to win the grand final.

It's probably a thread of its own heading into September, but the almost certain minor premier has been belted by 100+ in August as part of a 1-5 run from late June and has also lost to the wooden spooner. A likely top four side (Port) was smashed by 80 points at home as part of an 0-3 run and it seems that 90% of the supporter base want their coach to be sacked. The other top four contenders: went 3-6-1 prior to the bye (Brisbane), had a 2-6 run over two months (GWS), or had a 1-6 run with two 10+ goal beltings (Geelong). But all, besides Sydney are currently in very hot form and at this stage, it looks as though the old cliche of hitting your straps in August and September will prove especially true this year.

Which brings me to Hawthorn. It may be through clenched teeth and yesterday probably had more than a bit to do with bad luck and selection backfires on Carlton's part, but you have to give credit to Hawthorn, not just for how they've played over the past three months, but for how they've responded to every loss. Heartbreakers where they've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Port and GWS and a reality check butt-kicking by Geelong would have been logical points for a team of Hawthorn's profile to go back in their shells and start losing again. Instead they've come back the following week and beaten Brisbane, Fremantle and Carlton. I've always hoped that the 'premierships every decade since the 60s' circle jerk would be emphatically ended by them not winning a final at all in the 20s, but that's looking like a bit of a forlorn hope at this stage.

Hated: thinking back to what happened to Geelong in round 23, 2023. Same opposition, same venue. People may not remember, but we were still fancied to sneak into the finals at this point. And St Kilda had a training drill against us. This is our first game at Marvel this year against a team who's played there 11 times. This has danger game written all over it. There will probably be about 16 players in our team next week who played in the 2023 match. Hope they have long memories.
Brilliant in-depth write up, great post 👍

Liked:
  • Winning.
  • The race for the top 8 and the top 4 is thrilling and competitive, and that's how it should be. It's fantastic for football.
  • Hawthorn's charge for finals. The Hawks had a terrible start to the year, but are now taking the season by the balls. That's what a club with a winning culture does.

Learnt:
  • The aura about Collingwood winning close ones is wearing off. I was getting sick of it.
  • The Bulldogs are still inconsistent - should have smashed us.

Hated:
  • The Crows putting in good performances when our season is done.
  • Injuries.

Huge call that one but I think you mean 17. You think this team may have 4 GF's in them?W

Huge call that one but I think you mean 17. You think this team may have 4 GF's in them?
Well the nearest rivals are

Collingwood - wins one flag every 20 years or so.

Carlton - continue to disappoint

Essendon - can’t win Finals

Melbourne - 2021 was a space oddity

Richmond - Phoenix, sets itself on fire only to emerge around 30 years for next dynasty

So Geelong will probably even reach 17 before any of these….

Well the nearest rivals are

Collingwood - wins one flag every 20 years or so.

Carlton - continue to disappoint

Essendon - can’t win Finals

Melbourne - 2021 was a space oddity

Richmond - Phoenix, sets itself on fire only to emerge around 30 years for next dynasty

So Geelong will probably even reach 17 before any of these….
I see what you mean but long long way to go. Hope to see it in my lifetime. But that would be something wouldn’t it? Another team to finally be able to have bragging rights over these 3 for the last 130+ years. Carlton and Essendon have been sitting on top too long.

Liked: Saturday- all of it!
Learnt: The AFL are too afraid to take real action against the Pies. Any other coach gets more than a warning.
Hated: The specific Bombers fans abusing Mac Daddy at Marvel.
Extra credit Loved: Mac Daddy hushing that scum after finishing their season after the siren.

Liked: Trying to cast my mind back to how I was feeling in the early season winning run and although in reality, those early season wins against the Bulldogs, Carlton and Brisbane were probably on par, it's been a long time since a win has got me as excited as Saturday. A massive chance for top two and should make top four at least from here. Even if we slip up in one of the remaining two games, I'd still say we'd be probably 50/50 to cling on to fourth.

Learnt: A wild weekend but ultimately it's resulted in the top 4 and top 8 taking shape and with the likely cut-offs (IMO) being 60 points for top four (you could argue 62) and 54 for top eight, that makes it look like a race between five teams to fill out the top four and only 9th and 10th having some chance of sneaking into the eight (though no form whatsoever to speak of).

It makes me wonder if we'll soon forget what a crazy season 2024 has been if it ultimately reverts to the traditional pattern in finals of the top four teams dominating and the recent trend of the minor premier going on to win the grand final.

It's probably a thread of its own heading into September, but the almost certain minor premier has been belted by 100+ in August as part of a 1-5 run from late June and has also lost to the wooden spooner. A likely top four side (Port) was smashed by 80 points at home as part of an 0-3 run and it seems that 90% of the supporter base want their coach to be sacked. The other top four contenders: went 3-6-1 prior to the bye (Brisbane), had a 2-6 run over two months (GWS), or had a 1-6 run with two 10+ goal beltings (Geelong). But all, besides Sydney are currently in very hot form and at this stage, it looks as though the old cliche of hitting your straps in August and September will prove especially true this year.

Which brings me to Hawthorn. It may be through clenched teeth and yesterday probably had more than a bit to do with bad luck and selection backfires on Carlton's part, but you have to give credit to Hawthorn, not just for how they've played over the past three months, but for how they've responded to every loss. Heartbreakers where they've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Port and GWS and a reality check butt-kicking by Geelong would have been logical points for a team of Hawthorn's profile to go back in their shells and start losing again. Instead they've come back the following week and beaten Brisbane, Fremantle and Carlton. I've always hoped that the 'premierships every decade since the 60s' circle jerk would be emphatically ended by them not winning a final at all in the 20s, but that's looking like a bit of a forlorn hope at this stage.

Hated: thinking back to what happened to Geelong in round 23, 2023. Same opposition, same venue. People may not remember, but we were still fancied to sneak into the finals at this point. And St Kilda had a training drill against us. This is our first game at Marvel this year against a team who's played there 11 times. This has danger game written all over it. There will probably be about 16 players in our team next week who played in the 2023 match. Hope they have long memories.
I'm not one to have any faith in the current Eagles team, but looking forward to the Saints game is probably a bit premature on your behalf at this stage. May well be a dead rubber for the Blues given your injury list and having to travel to Perth on a 6 day break. Tempered by the fact we are 16th and routinely shit the bed after starting to look OK.

I'm not one to have any faith in the current Eagles team, but looking forward to the Saints game is probably a bit premature on your behalf at this stage. May well be a dead rubber for the Blues given your injury list and having to travel to Perth on a 6 day break. Tempered by the fact we are 16th and routinely shit the bed after starting to look OK.

We (Geelong) have St Kilda this Saturday. 🏉

I see what you mean but long long way to go. Hope to see it in my lifetime. But that would be something wouldn’t it? Another team to finally be able to have bragging rights over these 3 for the last 130+ years. Carlton and Essendon have been sitting on top too long.
I think only Essendon, Fitzroy, Collingwood and Carlton have been the leaders in Premierships won tally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are counting state based league flags then I think Port Adelaide have them all covered.
Insert - VFL and AFL is the same etc etc but the league is totally fair and interstate teams actually have it easy because home ground advantage etc etc, Carlton/Essendon/collingwoods pleb flag from the world war eras is just as legit and respectable as this years etc etc. I’m sure I missed plenty more bs vic rhetoric.

If we are counting state based league flags then I think Port Adelaide have them all covered.
20Th Anniversary Bk GIF by Rooster Teeth

Insert - VFL and AFL is the same etc etc but the league is totally fair and interstate teams actually have it easy because home ground advantage etc etc, Carlton/Essendon/collingwoods pleb flag from the world war eras is just as legit and respectable as this years etc etc. I’m sure I missed plenty more bs vic rhetoric.
You left out the part where 'they knew they were joining the VFL when they did it', 'the VFL was the strongest competition in the country', academies/cola/retention allowance/mergers/AFL Biased on their behalf/pilliaging good Victorian players and tearing them away from their loved ones etc etc

I’m counting the League AFL which started in 1897. With a name change in 1990.

Just like WAFL with it’s countless name changes.
Nope, it was the VFL. It was named that as it was only made up of teams from Victoria.

It only became the AFL a couple of years after it became a national competition, not a state competition.

Although it could be argued it is still a state competition that has been greatly broadened and improved with the introduction of "interstate teams". It certainly seems that most in Victoria still see it as a Victorian comp including most of the AFL hierarchy and media- hence the regular use of the term interstate for non-Vic teams.

Anyway, I digress. It was a great weekend of footy, with another interesting one coming up.

Nope, it was the VFL. It was named that as it was only made up of teams from Victoria.

It only became the AFL a couple of years after it became a national competition, not a state competition.

Although it could be argued it is still a state competition that has been greatly broadened and improved with the introduction of "interstate teams". It certainly seems that most in Victoria still see it as a Victorian comp including most of the AFL hierarchy and media- hence the regular use of the term interstate for non-Vic teams.

Anyway, I digress. It was a great weekend of footy, with another interesting one coming up.
Didn’t know that West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears originated from Victoria and only moved from there in 1990.

As well as Sydney Swans changing their name five years too early….

Thanks for the enlightenment

But seriously you need to look at the official AFL stats, it’s an argument you can’t win so need to discuss.

Didn’t know that West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears originated from Victoria and only moved from there in 1990.

As well as Sydney Swans changing their name five years too early….

Thanks for the enlightenment

But seriously you need to look at the official AFL stats, it’s an argument you can’t win so need to discuss.
Mate you are claiming flags from when the only teams that played in the comp were all from Victoria. It was a state comp up until about 1986 irrespective of when they changed the acronym. That is a fact that cant be disputed.

Mate you are claiming flags from when the only teams that played in the comp were all from Victoria. It was a state comp up until about 1986 irrespective of when they changed the acronym. That is a fact that cant be disputed.
But it’s the same League. So yes all stats from 1897 stands. You may not like it, but that what it is… official! Can’t be disputed till AFL change it. Some don’t like that the world is round or Pluto is not a planet.

But you soon will cross to our side defending your 10 Eagle flags when New Zealanders claim that the League started in 2040. Because it was just Australian teams before.

Or maybe even sooner. Tasmanians may argue that a new League started when they joined as not all Australian States were represented. Then they will have to argue when the Territories join.

Just stick to the official facts mate, everything else is just opinions. If you teach your kids your opinions in history they will not have good grades and probably start supporting Collingwood or Port Adelaide ;)

Be proud of your Eagles achievements in such short time. You have more flags then some have been in the League for more or nearly 100 years. It could be a lot worse, like supporting Fremantle or God forbid St.Kilda.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 22 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back