Opinion AFL 2024 Round 24 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, those people calling Mars a shit hole when they haven't even been.

My best game day experience all season was early in the year vs Gold Coast at Mars. Had a very good close up view of the players, the sun was shining, you could smell the grass. The surface was in great condition, green as and fast. Good vibes with the crowd. It felt like a genuine country football experience. Unlike the soulless dome they call Marvel, where they don't even open the roof on good weather days. Or the giant overrated G, where even with a large crowd is still looks and feels empty sometimes. And you're so far up, everything is tiny.
You know what, fair enough. One of the big problems with discussions on Bigfooty/the internet as a whole is that people refuse to change their mind when new info comes to light. Well I’m not going to be one of those people! You’re right I’ve not been to Mars Stadium. Now that I’ve got a first hand account from somebody who has, I’ll gladly take that on board and withhold judgment. Will edit the OP as well 👍

Enjoyed the rest of your post too. Great stuff, hit every nail on the head

Liked - Swannies on top

Learned - AFL Commish are a pack of campaigners - Denying us Friday night and screwing the pooches by not giving them Sat arvo (which they asked for) - shows a complete lack of respect to both clubs.

Hated - Umpiring Blues/Saints.

Liked - Then ending to Carlton, StKilda game just created great drama
Learnt - It will be almost impossible to predict a winner this year
Hated - The Saturday day games, We may as well have given Hawthorn and Geelong a bye

Do you reckon cripps will actually get votes. AFL predictor says he gets one. I dont think he would get any in my opinion. What do you guys think?

You sound like someone who has never been to a game at Geelong. There's really nowhere to expand too unless they build a stand straddling Moorabool street with a tunnel underneath, which I think has been asked for in the past and it was rejected by the city.
Repeat the lie often enough and it becomes folk lore. The opposite side from Moorabool Street could have been extended out during the endless taxpayer funded renovations. You could have expanded into St Mary's and actually turned the oval 90 degrees. Despite all the millions spent, still not suitable for cricket and the Geelong cricket ground continues to be rubbish. That's why Pendles never played there in 400 games, not suitable for real footballers :)

Repeat the lie often enough and it becomes folk lore. The opposite side from Moorabool Street could have been extended out during the endless taxpayer funded renovations. You could have expanded into St Mary's and actually turned the oval 90 degrees. Despite all the millions spent, still not suitable for cricket and the Geelong cricket ground continues to be rubbish. That's why Pendles never played there in 400 games, not suitable for real footballers :)

Great.
Instead of having the bedwetting demographic of the afl world making excuses for every result involving Geelong based around the narrowness of our home ground, they could start blaming it on how extraordinarily wide it is instead. Great idea.

To turn the oval as you described would have taken a knock-down and rebuild, which is obviously not how it was done, it was done in stages over a decade or so as the funds became available.

Not only do you have St Marys on the other side of the ground but you also have the Kardinia Pool and the Geelong netball courts.

Who cares if Pendles never played there? I don't know anyone who loses any sleep over it, let alone thinks about it.

The poor old Dogs, sold their soul to the AFL and Marvel stadium, abandoned their home because they were broke and are still selling off games to Ballarat for a dollar that hardly anyone goes to. Now there's a shithole of a ground.

Man, those people calling Mars a shit hole when they haven't even been.

My best game day experience all season was early in the year vs Gold Coast at Mars. Had a very good close up view of the players, the sun was shining, you could smell the grass. The surface was in great condition, green as and fast. Good vibes with the crowd. It felt like a genuine country football experience. Unlike the soulless dome they call Marvel, where they don't even open the roof on good weather days. Or the giant overrated G, where even with a large crowd is still looks and feels empty sometimes. And you're so far up, everything is tiny.

I was at that Gold Coast game and it was probably close to my worst game day experience at the hands of whining Footscray supporters complaining about people standing up in the terraces on the outer wing. From half an hour before the first bounce they never stopped crying about it, a real buzzkill. We ended up leaving at half time despite my wife and one of my daughters being Footscray supporters, they'd had a gutful of it.

If you want to go to the footy and sit down all day with a good view, don't be a cheap campaigner, buy a ticket in the grandstand or get there earlier and get yourself one of this shitty little plastic seats that are around the boundary.

It has a beautiful surface but is otherwise more suited to a local, lower level, suburban game.

I was at that Gold Coast game and it was probably close to my worst game day experience at the hands of whining Footscray supporters complaining about people standing up in the terraces on the outer wing. From half an hour before the first bounce they never stopped crying about it, a real buzzkill. We ended up leaving at half time despite my wife and one of my daughters being Footscray supporters, they'd had a gutful of it.

If you want to go to the footy and sit down all day with a good view, don't be a cheap campaigner, buy a ticket in the grandstand or get there earlier and get yourself one of this shitty little plastic seats that are around the boundary.

It has a beautiful surface but is otherwise more suited to a local, lower level, suburban game.
You sound like fun. The irony of whinging about other people whinging, and the plastic seats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To turn the oval as you described would have taken a knock-down and rebuild, which is obviously not how it was done, it was done in stages over a decade or so as the funds became available.

Not only do you have St Marys on the other side of the ground but you also have the Kardinia Pool and the Geelong netball courts.

Who cares if Pendles never played there? I don't know anyone who loses any sleep over it, let alone thinks about it.

The poor old Dogs, sold their soul to the AFL and Marvel stadium, abandoned their home because they were broke and are still selling off games to Ballarat for a dollar that hardly anyone goes to. Now there's a shithole of a ground.

We're playing at Whitten oval this Saturday 😅

Ballarat is fine. It's a very unique experience as a spectator and the game is always unusual too due to the wind. Feels like a genuine home ground advantage these days which is rare for Victorian sides in the AFL era.

People sook and whine at every game though. Always some drunk f**ks in the crowd screaming every second why a simple touch isn't a free, verbally abusing umpires and players. Even at the cattery, its just as bad as any other ground. guaranteed if you were in a seated area. You'd be blowing a different tune. More to a game than just letting a handful of people bug you.

I was in the standing area for the first time ever on the weekend. And I think you might be a tiny bit harsh. I mean yeah if they complained endlessly fair enough, endless sooking always gets to me as well. But I can understand where they are coming from. I am shocked they are allowed to sell tickets to the standing room area. The club needs to be honest and advertise the area as restricted viewing. The hill is not elevated enough. Unless you're 6 foot tall, you can't see more than half of the field.

I specifically said the cocky ones. Haven’t heard much from them since 2015 until now.
Hawthorn was on top of the ladder after Rd 21, 2016.
At that point, we were favourites to win a 4th flag in a row

We also finished the 2018 Home & Away season in the Top 4.

So we haven't spent a decade in hibernation as you seem to think.

More like 5 years... ;)

Hawthorn was on top of the ladder after Rd 21, 2016.
At that point, we were favourites to win a 4th flag in a row

We also finished the 2018 Home & Away season in the Top 4.

So we haven't spent a decade in hibernation as you seem to think.

More like 5 years... ;)
Lol touché, can’t argue with that

Liked - The Cats are as fit as I've ever seen, so proud of all the guys.

Learnt - The team mentality has hit a new high and Jack Henry is getting close to his best.

Brilliant as he is, Harley Reid still has a bit to learn. Chesser has the makings of an elite mid.

No more chicken legs for Neale! ;) Impressed with his growth as a player.

Hated - Not enough Cats in the AA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion AFL 2024 Round 24 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back