Opinion AFL 2024 Round 3 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked:
Richmond's kids (Vlaustin aside) providing the pressure all the way to give Yze his first win in an upset
Port vs Melbourne - just a great contest with back and forth momentum
Matt Hill's commentary - give him more of a gig please

Hated:
Matthew Nicks and his confidence-sapping game style
The overumpiring on Good Friday

Learnt:
When 2-3 players are out of form, that's on them. When basically an entire team is out of form, that's a coaching issue
The Cats do not stay down for long
I was wrong about Melbourne, I had them as my big slider this year amid all of their off-season drama. Turns out that side is Brisbane.

Last edited:
Liked: Matt Hill commentary - Amazing what happens when you have a professional commentator call a game. Oh and Melbourne :)

Learnt: Brisbane have missed their chance for a flag.

Hated: Brisbane allowing Collingwood to have a pulse.

We touched up Melbourne last year in September and they are worse in 2024.
“touched up” lol Gawn punched through a certain goal so he could place an order with Joel Smith.

ps i learned bigfooty has a new look!
Lol am I the only one that didn't receive the new look? Only thing I notice is that the buttons like "Post reply" and "Attach files" look different. Perhaps I already forgot how Bigfooty used to look like :sweatsmile:

Anyways:

Liked:
  • Richmond's win! Was fun to watch
  • Fremantle going 3-0 with a percentage of 146%. They're maturing into a decent side.
  • Essendon overcoming a deficit to beat St Kilda. Another mature performance this round.
  • Melbourne finding a way to win despite trailing in many of the stats.

Learnt:
  • Our season has a pulse! Maybe not for long due to injuries, but it's still there.
  • Geelong and Fremantle are back after missing in 2023
  • Collingwood is starting to wheel themselves back into it
  • Fremantle are looking hard to beat. Their defence makes them hard to score against.
  • Port Adelaide still struggle to beat the good sides when the intensity goes up. You shouldn't be losing with those stats and scoring shots.

Hated:
  • Injuries to Lynch and Balta, leaving them out for multiple weeks. Could really put an end to our season's 'revival'.
  • Over-officiating of North Melbourne vs Carlton. Ruined any chance of a spectacle.
  • West Coast's uncompetitiveness. It's hard to watch them get belted like that. Would've said that I don't know how their supporters are feeling right now, but we're also one of the sides in the 200+ conceded club within the AFL era alongside Melbourne and West Coast. If anyone knows, then it's us.
  • Adelaide's start. They look like they've regressed at least 4 years back after Thilthorpe's injury. Not a good look for Nicks.

Liked: Beating the Hawks is always one of life's great pleasures.

Learnt: The goal review system is out of control and boundary umpires are just as bad.

Hated: Pies winning, Blues winning and Bombers winning plus the bloody Tigers winning!

Liked: seeing Jack Ginnivan lie in the bed he made for himself.

Learnt: that Carlton have a serious player on their hands in Elijah Hollands.

Hated: the fact that the umpiring seems to be a massive talking point in every single game regardless of the result. I can’t tell if the umpiring has gotten worse or if our respect for umpires has deteriorated to a point of no return. Either way something has to change.

Liked: The spread of games. Thu to Mon. Leading into footy again next Thursday.

Learned: Carlton fans have the arrogance and up themselves swagger of Richmond... But the Tigers started after their side won a premiership. Not before.

They desperately need a humbling. Soon.

Hated: The jumper choices for Good Friday. NM home jumper with white shorts and Blues home jumper with navy shorts is not a clash. Why did we get two shit clash jumpers instead. North's was putrid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Last years finalists are 14 wins, 10 losses and the expected "climber" is 0-3. Already there are a few open spots in the 8.

Learned: Sydney remain susceptible to pressure.

Hated: umpiring whinging is out of control and should be confined to quarter breaks or it's own separate thread (permanently).

Liked: seeing Jack Ginnivan lie in the bed he made for himself.

Learnt: that Carlton have a serious player on their hands in Elijah Hollands.

Hated: the fact that the umpiring seems to be a massive talking point in every single game regardless of the result. I can’t tell if the umpiring has gotten worse or if our respect for umpires has deteriorated to a point of no return. Either way something has to change.
its the issue of too many umpires, it raised our expectations. I think they should go back to ONE umpire, then it would be consistent and we would understand "umpire didn't see" as a reason for no free paid.

Liked: Vlastuin's performance in the Sydney game.
Learned: Fremantle have a strong midfield with Fyfe/Jackson and Young all in great form
Hated: the C7 commentary teams are a disgrace with Luke Darcy and Brayshaw are mind-bogglingly awful and stoopid.

We touched up Melbourne last year in September and they are worse in 2024.

GWS? You’ll find out in a couple of weeks.
Please Don't flatter yourself, you won by 2 points because our forwards were inefficient in front of goal.
We kicked ourselves out of winning the game by not icing it.

Yeah I know we won.

Was one of the greats wins i've witnessed.

Arm hairs still raise when thinking about it.

BLAKEEEEE ACRRESSSSSSSSSSSS
tbf with 90 seconds left Lever only had to hold on to the pill and milk the clock.
90seconds, to the wing to viney, viney kick forward straight to Weitering, and as we know the rest is history

Please Don't flatter yourself, you won by 2 points because our forwards were inefficient in front of goal.
We kicked ourselves out of winning the game by not icing it.
Sorry mate the kicking had nothing to do with it, leaving 4 Carlton players on their own in the goal square with 2 minutes to go is where the game was lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back