Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
What would be nice though is at least knowing what each patch is meant to be fixing (patch notes) so we can actually test and give feedback on the supposed fixes.

It’s of their own doing that they’re having to rush out patches, working until all hours and putting in hours on the weekend.
They are putting in hours today and tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if we see another patch today and another tomorrow. Probably will see daily small patches to try and address gameplay issues, whilst they work on bigger patch for the modes.

"Not the final build" is up there with "irrefutable industry data" and

How about this from the Ross and Twistie Interview? Went back and looked at it after seeing it in the Herbatron video.

Twistie: How do you think it is obviously between where it is now and where you like it to be at launch?

Ross: I think animation wise, likeness wise, um... all the incidental stuff, the career mode and all these things I think they're they're on point. We won't be changing any of that. But AI wise, we're still tuning.

Later on in interview, on Career modes

Ross: You've got both. I think team will be the most played there's no doubt in my mind that team will be the most played because there's nothing like sitting in the forward pocket waiting for the ball. We did this in our rugby games back in the day, where you're meant to perform a role. So if you decide you're a full forward and you decide to go on the ball, you're not going to do too well. Like in terms of, you've got a team role and you need to perform it. So essentially we will ascertain whether you've played a good game or not based off your role.

Ross openly said three weeks before release that career mode is on point and won't be changed. 5 minutes later he gave an in depth answer about player career mode as if it was already in the game. It wasn't a passing comment.

We know now that player career wasn't done. I can't think of a charitable read of Ross's comments in that interview with the context of what we've seen after the interview.

Honestly, even the talk of the "frankenstein build" only emerged post launch night. They seemed really enthusiastic before then. We sort of got gaslit into thinking we were just ignorant consumers who didn't understand how they had seperate builds for showing off the game pre release, but then we get to day 1 and the game is in the state it was in.

Looking back, was it even a frankenstein build? Or was that more narrative spin? I'm still fascinated to know what this game looked like on April 13.

Why does everyone move like Tom Jonas? It's like it was designed for a D-Pad with only 4 directions and a very slow response time.
I've been saying this for with no response, are they aware you can't turn or move into the direction you want to? It makes the game unplayable, you can't chase opposition players laterally or move into areas you need to move into, because your player either stops moving, runs backwards, or runs in the opposite direction of where you're pointing the analog stick. It's like tank controls for the Resident Evil PS1 games.

Btw what's the point of a coin toss and choosing a side to kick if you have no idea which way the wind is blowing?

Must admit it's so jarring to go into this beautifully crafted coin toss sequence at the start of each game and then start the game with players who have the turning circle of a truck. Makes you wonder about allocation of resources for a sequence that I'd love to be able to skip.

Are people forgetting that even the gameplay we saw before release looked like a buggy mess? Players hand balling 50m backwards and players standing around and watching a ball in dispute.

When criticism was given we were told it wasn’t the final build, but now we’re being told to wait for the game to get back to that level
Right - I feel like I'm on another planet right now. Everyone's referring to Twistie's reveal gameplay like its this golden build of the game that looked great. It was genuinely concerning for me to watch all the forced animations, players standing etc - albeit keeping in mind at the time that was pre release, and the game will only be more polished at release. And now people are pining for a return to that build, in a weeks time...

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is and BA employees will be getting smashed with work right now so they're in the trenches and I can only respect them for that, but this has been the standard of the industry for pretty much a decade (game releases broken days after launch - built back up over a week/months where the interest has completely died down) and its simply not acceptable, accidental or not, when 95+% of the consumer base for this game don't know what BigFooty is and this place has been the only way to get any real first-hand info on the state of the game.

I think its just disappointing (and I know BA are going through it too) that the optics of the game have already been set and "fumbled", since when games release like this (again, intentionally or not), people rarely give it another shot (Exhibit A: Halo Infinite).

I'm passed the steam refund playtime so I'm stuck with it now lol, but I do think this game will be great with some work and I'll be patient. Just makes you realise why gameplay wasn't "ticked off on" even mere weeks from launch.

Right - I feel like I'm on another planet right now. Everyone's referring to Twistie's reveal gameplay like its this golden build of the game that looked great. It was genuinely concerning for me to watch all the forced animations, players standing etc - albeit keeping in mind at the time that was pre release, and the game will only be more polished at release. And now people are pining for a return to that build, in a weeks time...

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is and BA employees will be getting smashed with work right now so they're in the trenches and I can only respect them for that, but this has been the standard of the industry for pretty much a decade (game releases broken days after launch - built back up over a week/months where the interest has completely died down) and its simply not acceptable, accidental or not, when 95+% of the consumer base for this game don't know what BigFooty is and this place has been the only way to get any real first-hand info on the state of the game.

I think its just disappointing (and I know BA are going through it too) that the optics of the game have already been set and "fumbled", since when games release like this (again, intentionally or not), people rarely give it another shot (Exhibit A: Halo Infinite).

I'm passed the steam refund playtime so I'm stuck with it now lol, but I do think this game will be great with some work and I'll be patient. Just makes you realise why gameplay wasn't "ticked off on" even mere weeks from launch.
I said this game should have been developed for another year, months ago, I was getting people freaking out on me for even suggesting that. Way too many people were bagging Big Ant for not releasing it quicker, in fact. Clearly it needed more time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about this from the Ross and Twistie Interview? Went back and looked at it after seeing it in the Herbatron video.

Ross openly said three weeks before release that career mode is on point and won't be changed. 5 minutes later he gave an in depth answer about player career mode as if it was already in the game. It wasn't a passing comment.

We know now that player career wasn't done. I can't think of a charitable read of Ross's comments in that interview with the context of what we've seen after the interview.

Honestly, even the talk of the "frankenstein build" only emerged post launch night. They seemed really enthusiastic before then. We sort of got gaslit into thinking we were just ignorant consumers who didn't understand how they had seperate builds for showing off the game pre release, but then we get to day 1 and the game is in the state it was in.

Looking back, was it even a frankenstein build? Or was that more narrative spin? I'm still fascinated to know what this game looked like on April 13.

Ross has lied to us since day one.

Blind faith rewarded exactly how it should be. With a kick in the teeth.

I said this game should have been developed for another year, months ago, I was getting people freaking out on me for even suggesting that.
If your testing practices are inadequate, delaying another year would have made no difference though. Might be controversial but astounded people are lauding effort - your not giving someone $100 for a participation certificate.

I said this game should have been developed for another year, months ago, I was getting people freaking out on me for even suggesting that.
If any of you follow Da Czar, he's a 2K developer who often talks about the process. He says we'd all be stunned at how long the seeming small things can lead to years of development. He used the example of passing, and one slight adjustment can break the game.

And that's 2K.

I'd be stunned...STUNNED...if a patch makes this game playable.

Is anyone else unable to actually load into the game nor update on ps5? Just comes up saying 'something went wrong' was fine for me before today.

I can provide error codes if they might help BigAntStudios (sorry for the tag just want to play the game asap)

Last edited:

There's a reason Herbatron had 'Would I Lie to You?' blaring in the background. Nothing but smoke and mirrors in the leadup to release, enabled by the community on here who would go to any lengths to make excuses for genuine concerns.

If your testing practices are inadequate, delaying another year would have made no difference though. Might be controversial but astounded people are lauding effort - your not giving someone $100 for a participation certificate.
Yeah, the game is unplayable for sure and some people are pretending it's great. Another year could have allowed for more time to test, as well. They probably rushed testing it, we don't know, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back