Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Had a crash, checked windows applications in Event Viewer and it says it's related to ucrtbase.dll. Some googling says that in many games, when this is the issue, try disabling Windows Audio in the Services App, start the game, then restart Windows Audio.
I'm trying that now but I won't really know if it works until I have 4-5 non-crashed games. If anyone else wants to try, it'd be nice to know if your game still crashes.
Seems like for most games, it's a way to bypass crashes on startup but I found a few people saying it stopped various games crashing later on too.
1683380036291.png

Being a software engineer also, Im also curious about this.
Would love to know what happened with ‘the stable release’ for what the company were going to launch with. (I.e Release plus day-1 update)…

And then how, from a branching strategy/merging/release process, whatever problems were hit couldn’t have just been rolled back, but instead are being re-introduced back in incrementally.

Probably need to have a beer with BigAntStudios and JNT BA to get that info though. 😀
Definitely merging the files would have been an obvious fix but in this situation for Big Ant, might introduce the issue of merge conflicts which I think in a massive project like this might become extremely complicated. Better to break into sections deal with small merge conflicts and hopefully fix the entire issue.

I've been looking at the minor issues people are facing in the currently public version from images on this forum. Grand Final badge not on playing kits, incorrect likeness of coaches and players, coaches taking over goal umpires and vice versa (was an issue in the version presented at the Launch Night event videos). These are things that I'd think would be fixed in what was the expected version.

This version is basically a raw and unfinished version of the game and is unexpected after seeing the gameplay by YouTubers and Twitch streamers from the launch event and the office visits they had before the release. I understand why some people are angry about the situation saying Big Ant have developed crap and are wasting our money, but I think given our understanding coming from a software engineer background - we understand what they might be going through, it's going to be a crap few weeks/months at Big Ant for sure. Won't be surprised if the development of Cricket 24 and Rugby 24 gets affected from this - there is a good chance it might hit those projects hard

No that video was after I switched it off (as the red motion blur from the ball was driving me bonkers).
The overall video looks ok, I just need to tinker with other settings I guess.

That said, I ventured off to Marvel Stadium in almost complete darkness before :-/

WHgcQg3.png
Well Big Ant were accurate on one thing here... Just the wrong stadium 🤣

Looking at the list of features to be added/fixed makes it definitely obvious to me that they pushed to wrong branch for the patch and broke the game by using files that a team of developers were working on instead of the main branch.

I’ve been doing some thinking of my own (being a software engineer myself), and think they are definitely breaking apart the actual version of the game and moving it across to the branch they used for the patch - they can’t just push the main/correct branch for the patch because there will be metadata specific for the patch and might break the entire game project. Again just a educated guess based on software engineering knowledge
This post brings back some memories of something that happened to my team at work. Work in higher ED, system used for end of year exams had a patch not meant to be pushed through until another 3 sprints, was pushed through 3 days out from the start. On Monday the system shat itself and we spent the whole week getting everything fixed…….overtime pay was good though………the stalkerspace for our uni was just like this forum……….not fun……

yep which is why ive used it, because he lied. You obviously know very little in terms of what's been happening around here for the last month so I'll forgive your ignorance on the matter. Herbatron's video is great, literally shows Ross discussing the career mode in-depth as if it was finished at the launch party only for it to magically not be in the game at all a month later.

Thanks for your "forgiveness" - though I reckon this thread would be better with more of that genuine sentiment.
Watched the video, but don't see any smoking gun "lie".
So career mode was intended to be in the final product, but now isn't. I just don't get this ongoing assumption that it must therefore be malicious. Something changed. It happens. But the more you react this way, the less inclined Big Ant will be to share any information in advance - and we all lose.
Trying to make Ross and Big Ant feel worse doesn't make the game better, and playing crap "gotcha" games like this is unquestionably one of the reasons so much information is withheld.
In all seriousness, if you don't like the game, return it and don't play it. Game purchases are set up to make this very easy - digital or physical. Your choice.
Let the bad karma go and do something that will actually make you happy. Hopefully 3.20pm Sunday is it.

Thanks for your "forgiveness" - though I reckon this thread would be better with more of that genuine sentiment.
Watched the video, but don't see any smoking gun "lie".
So career mode was intended to be in the final product, but now isn't. I just don't get this ongoing assumption that it must therefore be malicious. Something changed. It happens. But the more you react this way, the less inclined Big Ant will be to share any information in advance - and we all lose.
Trying to make Ross and Big Ant feel worse doesn't make the game better, and playing crap "gotcha" games like this is unquestionably one of the reasons so much information is withheld.
In all seriousness, if you don't like the game, return it and don't play it. Game purchases are set up to make this very easy - digital or physical. Your choice.
Let the bad karma go and do something that will actually make you happy. Hopefully 3.20pm Sunday is it.

People are more likely to forgive if there’s ever an actual apology

Physically cannot start a game. 5x in a row it’s crashed the moment I click play now.

3 days ago the AI refused to tackle yet now they can teleport and stick to you like glue. No point playing on.

Absolute joke and there’s no defending it

Is anyone able to explain the patch situation? On the fence whether to purchase it right now.
The game will apparently be at the intended launch standard by next weekend, but will likely still have some of the usual bugs that need work after that point.
Pro Team will be included at some stage afterwards.
In the meantime, I think the game is enjoyable enough to play casually, but wouldn't start a season or management. It is a relatively easy experience, but has been improving each day. Monday seems to be the next patch, and with two days of rectification combined it will hopefully improve quite a bit.
Worst case is purchase from EB and try - you have 7 days to return if you want to. It's worth at least that.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but I suggested earlier that there can be legal ramifications for publicly listed companies if they do this. It really isn't a simple situation in this instance.
Another unpopular position, but I think pushing out patches at 2.00am and working weekends clearly tells us that Big Ant are sorry. This wouldn't happen if they didn't care.

For anyone on PS5, is Management Career worth starting now? Is it buggy & crashes a lot etc…?
I've been playing around and it hasn't crashed, but don't think the gameplay is good enough to commit to starting anything properly yet.
Stats are important and would likely be skewed as the gameplay is updating so regularly.

Had a crash, checked windows applications in Event Viewer and it says it's related to ucrtbase.dll. Some googling says that in many games, when this is the issue, try disabling Windows Audio in the Services App, start the game, then restart Windows Audio.
I'm trying that now but I won't really know if it works until I have 4-5 non-crashed games. If anyone else wants to try, it'd be nice to know if your game still crashes.
Seems like for most games, it's a way to bypass crashes on startup but I found a few people saying it stopped various games crashing later on too.
View attachment 1680371
An update on this.
I've played 4 games in a row with 5 min qtrs in management mode with no crashes. Better than my 3 crashes from 3 games earlier. Still might be coincidental though.

I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but I suggested earlier that there can be legal ramifications for publicly listed companies if they do this. It really isn't a simple situation in this instance.
Another unpopular position, but I think pushing out patches at 2.00am and working weekends clearly tells us that Big Ant are sorry. This wouldn't happen if they didn't care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else’s crash whenever starting a game in the second year of manager mode? First season worked after the latest patch but now I’m in 2024 it’s crashing whenever starting a game?

Physically cannot start a game. 5x in a row it’s crashed the moment I click play now.

3 days ago the AI refused to tackle yet now they can teleport and stick to you like glue. No point playing on.

Absolute joke and there’s no defending it
There is no need to defend anything with people who think it is a waste of their time.
They are in control and can return it and stop talking about it.
You choose if you would rather do something else or if you actually enjoy complaining more than any other alternative. Maybe that's just your thing.
Let the people who value it enjoy it.

It doesn't tell us they're sorry to the consumer. I'm sure they do care about the ramifications for their brand and reputation, the returns/sales of the game, the terrible reception and impact on sales, future working relationships, etc. They're working on it because the product they released doesn't meet the standards of a $100 game, and they know it, so know they have to work harder to get somewhere close to that point, and let's hope they do for the people who have so far wasted their money on it.

It doesn't tell us they're sorry to the consumer. I'm sure they do care about the ramifications for their brand and reputation, the returns/sales of the game, the terrible reception and impact on sales, future working relationships, etc. They're working on it because the product they released doesn't meet the standards of a $100 game, and they know it, so know they have to work harder to get somewhere close to that point, and let's hope they do for the people who have so far wasted their money on it.
I'll say it one more time. There are legal ramifications for publicly listed companies if they make a direct public apology in a situation like this.
And this decision would be made in France, not at Big Ant.
Don't take it personally or be disappointed - it very likely won't have been a decision that Ross can make.
And actions do speak louder than words right now.

I was thinking in regards to tackling in the future. I've got an idea based on the current day tackling crackdown

How about utilise the long hold or anaolg sticks. In afl there is a large crackdown on dumping a guy when tackling

Perhaps either those two could be used to simulate that situation. When you go to tackle if you tackle too hard via anlog stick or button hold you could get reported

Conversely if you hold the button/flick to analog stick too soft a player can easily fend off.

That enables push pull tackling that is more of logical of tackling rather then timing tackling

For anyone on PS5, is Management Career worth starting now? Is it buggy & crashes a lot etc…?
Maybe just for something to do, I'm sorta doing it when possible and planning to restart if the game reaches a solid state

Steam patch today difficult to comment on, a bit easier to defend which is good but the umpiring seems to have got a bit more inconsistent which is weird. In three games the AI opponent only gave away one free, a little bit Evo 2 if you know what I mean.

I think we're getting to the stage where all eyes are on how the game will handle packs and hard ball gets. WW really struggled here as did all games before it and it's getting really hard to look past in AFL 23.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but decided to run a simulated year and get to the drafts/trading period. This is what I found.

Trading/Drafting
  1. Traditionally in previous games you are taken to a screen where you can negotiate and do deals with opposition teams and time elapses as you press X to continue. This is most definitely not the case, in fact if you continue to proceed through the game, you will miss trade period completely.
  2. Retiring players in previous games you were alerted to the fact that a player may want to hang up the boots, this is not the case. I was shocked to know where the heck Docherty went after my first season with the Blues, evidently he has retired.... or vanished off the face of the earth? I'm not sure but either option on this game wouldn't Suprise me.​
  3. When at the draft you would think that your team has done more scouting work than "we recommend player a,b or c". WRONG! that's the extent of work that developers have put in. After simulating all my games, I had pick 3 and they were suggesting I take a small forward who was rated 28ovr and had the potential to be between 58-67 rated.​
  4. After the draft - Every single player drafted was a bald bot.​
Think I've decided to give up on this game. Will most likely return it to EB tomorrow. If they iron out all the issues then I may go back and purchase it but as it stands this game is a flaming bin fire. I'd recommend everyone return it and really send a msg to BigAnt.

Their reputation is on the line, of course they want to fix it. Don’t act like they care about the public, they care about their image

So what are these ramifications you speak of? We’ve seen plenty of game developers in the past apologise (and even given gestures of goodwill) for the poor quality of games they’ve released to the public.

Beyond video games, we’ve seen apologies issued for a various amount of reasons from small to large publicly listed companies.

It really is…..that simple!!

We’ve all seen and experienced firsthand what BA have put out at release, there’s no grey area here, it’s black and white. They only have something to gain from an apology now as the damage is done.

If you’re trying to imply that by an apology from BA would be making an admission of guilt you’d be incorrect from a legal and litigation standpoint, there’s no case there as we’ve seen from games like Driveclub or CP2077.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back