Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Played one last little 5 min quarter game before all the patches hit on PS.

Won by 110 on the hardest difficulty and Naughton kicked 14.

Good night sweet prince.

Enjoy that win cause ur getting belted by 60 tomorrow first game of patch

There's a difference between the "bald" coaches (that's a bug) and the replaced ones, e.g. Bevo isn't captured, others captured late and will be patched in as they are made - the choice was to have no cut-scenes for those teams or just use another person we had on hand (we chose the latter).

Thanks for clarifying mate. So there’s 100% no chance we create a coach for Management, it will be the real AFL team coach provided he’s scanned in?

Maybe it's different teams who work on it but can we get player movement fixed before cosmetics like crowds and stats, etc? If the game is unplayale because it's impossible to chain a handall, I don't really care how big the crowd is anymore. 3on1s and you draw the defender, handball off and then the player eceiving it stands still for a second while the 1 defender tackles him.
Either that, or the player gets a kick kick away but for some reason a defender being within 5m means the pessured kick is likely to go backwards for some reason.
I was giving this game a chance, updating my Steam review with patches, hoping to change it to 'Recommended' but the game is less playable than it was 2 days ago.
I reckon it was Ross who said gameplay is king. I'd think he'd be more interested in that than the balance of commentator input, colour of the umpire's shoes, the special guernseys for each round etc.

I finally gave in and bought it.

What a shit sandwich.

Its 2k style play how you are told so our game wont be exposed for just a pretty sim fetish attempt. Seems that is more peoples issue rather than “cant tackle cant turn”. Because they dont want you to control players freely. Just button mash reaction patterns.

Its not going to be fun.

Its no fifa.

Plus every game crashes.

I cant imagine how bad this was at the launch if this is the improved version.

Refund time.

What I'd like to see is the game play to slow down a little. Funny thing is I have it set on 30fps, but the game feels like it's on fast forward mode constantly, like watching the Road Runner just zoom along sometimes. Evolution 1 had a speed setting (ended up using the slowest) and it was radical!

Here's a weird glitch that I only recorded the last second of, I took a mark and the animation was stuck just like this for 10+ seconds :-/
It led to a holding the ball call, and North Melbourne rebounded with a quick goal.

Also the first and third quarter, I'd get the ball to my forward 50....... and couldn't progress no opponents in the way. It's like I had an invisible wall blocking me. Happened 4 times, and that's 4 times too many.

I didn't realise the wind was fixed (probably have to pay attention more to the fixes lol) shanked so many shots. By the time I realised the game was overrrrrr.

Still getting caught with the ball even with the opponent being meters away, then a second later caught and boom lose possession.

AI teleport tackling for me is the last piece to really getting down and dirty with this game.

Cannot express how frustrating it is to get hauled in from 5 metres away when I’ve already out-run the AI from a ground ball. Rest of the game is workable enough, but this bit is really getting on my quince.

It is the worst, fix that and the game becomes so much more fun!!!

Also me getting frustrated about certain things happening (my kicks being picked off), I need to have a print out of the control scheme handy.... I was kicking with the wrong button. I'm now kicking with much more accuracy (in terms of kick-passing).

Last edited:
Maybe it's different teams who work on it but can we get player movement fixed before cosmetics like crowds and stats, etc? If the game is unplayale because it's impossible to chain a handall, I don't really care how big the crowd is anymore. 3on1s and you draw the defender, handball off and then the player eceiving it stands still for a second while the 1 defender tackles him.
Either that, or the player gets a kick kick away but for some reason a defender being within 5m means the pessured kick is likely to go backwards for some reason.
I was giving this game a chance, updating my Steam review with patches, hoping to change it to 'Recommended' but the game is less playable than it was 2 days ago.
I reckon it was Ross who said gameplay is king. I'd think he'd be more interested in that than the balance of commentator input, colour of the umpire's shoes, the special guernseys for each round etc.
They are different teams, there's around 100 people working at the studio. Movement is key, there is a team of people just on that.

Gameplay is king, it's the main focus.

Personally I found the game is just too much of a tackle fest now.
My players are too slow and movement of them is too slow to react and awkward. The same issue of afl live 1 having a ruckman outrun someone like Adam Saad is still present and it is nearly impossible to get a kick away or even a decent handball in any type of congestion.

Spoiling is next to impossible.
There is no indication on how to mark, just seems like a luck of the draw who marks it.

I actually think the game style was better before you guys patched in the increased congestion.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I want to know what's going on with the xbox version and if it's likely to happen even with all these bugs announced.

But I'm not reading through 220+ pages.

How's it realistically looking?

If you're not willing to do the hard yards and want to cheat to win, that's unsportsman like conduct. Read those pages and you will find your answer!!

Otherwise you can wait and be surprised (in June-December sometime lol).

They are different teams, there's around 100 people working at the studio. Movement is key, there is a team of people just on that.

When all the priorities are polished Ross, is there any opportunity that the replay shots after a goal could be looked at and maybe tweaked. The higher Aimed set shots don’t quite get picked up at all and a lot of the shots that come quick look blurry and like the camera is rushed to pick it up. I just would like to admire my goals in the moment 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I want to know what's going on with the xbox version and if it's likely to happen even with all these bugs announced.

It’s a bit Sydney in 2017
Started 0-6.
Looking a bit like making a run now.

Don’t want to early crow, I was very unhappy on launch day, but it’s looking good.

It'll happen, but we don't know when. Would be shocked if it's before 25 May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

The cosmetics and all that is nice, but gameplay is 100% most important.

Pretty keen to see where this is at in 2 weeks time, the studio is rapidly fixing this and it’s exciting to see!

I want to be at the party BigAnt hosts when this game is playing as intended in a couple of weeks!

Nothing official but the prevailing theory is that the Xbox version failed a QA test somewhere along the line with Xbox as this has happened with BA games in the past (initial patches with Cricket 22).

It's also very likely that BA is updating the Xbox at the same time as the Steam/PS version, it's easier dev wise to have all platforms on parity. So when the Xbox version does get released it should be the same version as the then current Steam/PS versions.

Once gameplay is fixed to you satisfaction, are you looking to fix the stadium alignments as to ensure that the broadcast camera is on the right side to what it is in real life. I find that the minimap is mirrored at GMHBA stadium aswell and the ground decals are flipped

There's a difference between the "bald" coaches (that's a bug) and the replaced ones, e.g. Bevo isn't captured, others captured late and will be patched in as they are made - the choice was to have no cut-scenes for those teams or just use another person we had on hand (we chose the latter).
Ross,
is there scope within the game architecture to perhaps add a custom coach, just like a player for Custom teams?

Loving the improved patches each and every day!

I know it might seem like an insignificant addition right now, but will the 'count up clock' ever be introduced like in previous titles? I understand the realism of the tv broadcast always being count down but I think it always adds to the suspense of management/season mode when you don't know how long is left! Would love to know if that's something to look forward to or not

Loving the improved patches each and every day!

I know it might seem like an insignificant addition right now, but will the 'count up clock' ever be introduced like in previous titles? I understand the realism of the tv broadcast always being count down but I think it always adds to the suspense of management/season mode when you don't know how long is left! Would love to know if that's something to look forward to or not
Yeah - it's something I want too. JNT BA please add to the list.

Once gameplay is fixed to you satisfaction, are you looking to fix the stadium alignments as to ensure that the broadcast camera is on the right side to what it is in real life. I find that the minimap is mirrored at GMHBA stadium aswell and the ground decals are flipped
The mini-map issue should have been fixed in one of the patches.

At this point we won't be swapping the camera, unless it was done in error. There was a long discussion on here the other day, a good example of better than broadcast positioning would be Punt Rd, in my opinion people would rather see the Jack Dyer stand than the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back