Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Loved those cricket games. I don't think I had 09 though? Might have been 07?

Actually the last cricket game I played (apart from Big Bash Boom haha)

EDIT: Looked it up, it was 09 I had. Good work, it was a good game.
Haha thanks. I was a junior programmer back then... so mainly focused on the menus and stats graphs we had.

I gave a ton of feedback to our gameplay developers though. We were pretty happy with where we got it for a single title.

No indigenous guernseys due to copyright I believe Ross said.
Presumably it’s have something to do with getting the rights to the artwork from the designer, but as far as I’m aware once it’s used as an AFL design, the rights to the design are signed off to the league, as is the case with any other jumper a club wears (all are obviously designed by a person at some stage along the way). I’d imagine any hold up would be to do with getting the proper high quality artwork used by the manufacturers to print the jumpers so it’s 100% accurate.

The controls are complex enough, I think getting a kick off sometimes is realistic, 2k have automatic animation and things like this and it works well.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can't say the controls are complex enough and then compare to 2k. You seen the 40 pages of different dribble move combinations for their basketball games? L2+X is not complex.

PC Latest update - Hard difficulty on play now

I wanted to share some constructive feedback regarding the latest update of AFL23 video game on PC. I believe that by taking these points into consideration, you can further elevate the game and deliver an even more enjoyable experience for all players.

1. AI Marking Glitch: Occasionally, the AI players encounter a quirky bug where they freeze in place instead of pushing back off the mark when marking close to opponents. This results in some hilarious moments where they can effortlessly run past the man on the mark and kick goals. It would be fantastic if you could iron out this glitch to enhance the game's realism.
  2. Speckies and Marks: It seems that the game doesn't always recognize speckies as marks, which forces players to keep the play going instead of being rewarded for their amazing aerial feats. It would be awesome if you could tweak the system to ensure that these spectacular grabs are acknowledged as marks, adding an extra layer of authenticity.
  3. Player Switching Difficulty: Changing control to another player off the mark can be a bit of a headache at times. Streamlining this process would be a great quality-of-life improvement, allowing us to smoothly switch between players and focus on the strategic aspects of the game.
  4. Auto Interchange: The auto interchange feature could use some fine-tuning. Occasionally, we find players being swapped to the wrong positions, like a key defender ending up in the forward line. Giving the programming behind the auto interchange a little tweak would help maintain accurate player positions and add more tactical depth to the game.
  5. Kicking on the Run and Marking Spoils: Right now, kicking for goal while getting tackled can look quite comical, as the ball tends to shoot forward in an exaggerated manner. Additionally, marking spoils have become more challenging than ever, leaving no room for error in timing. By refining these aspects, you'll make the game feel even more realistic and ensure that players don't miss out on those hard-fought possessions.
  6. Clearance Kicks and Tackles: It's a bit amusing to witness clearance kicks made while being held in a tackle, as they magically hit their targets with drop-style kicks in any direction. Bringing more physics realism and trajectory to these kicks would enhance immersion and inject more authenticity into the gameplay.
  7. Animation Timing: Sometimes, certain actions like executing a snap can feel a tad slow, leading to players getting tackled or unexpected animation outcomes. Speeding up these animations to be more responsive and natural would definitely up the enjoyment factor.
Lastly, I want to express my gratitude for the team's efforts in addressing the game's issues through patches. While you're on the right track, I hope that future adjustments strike the perfect balance between improvement and maintaining an enjoyable gameplay experience.

Haven't been able to try the new patch yet but wanted to ask if people thought it was worth starting a management mode? If so, will the new patches apply to that specific save?

Haven't been able to try the new patch yet but wanted to ask if people thought it was worth starting a management mode? If so, will the new patches apply to that specific save?
The updates are meant to work fine with a management save. I'm wanting to start one but I don't think the bug where player overalls drop at the end of season and all generic bald draftees has been fixed yet and I'm worried they won't work if I'm 3/4 through a season when they're fixed

I haven't played an AFL game since I was a kid, so I just ended up buying a 2nd hand copy of AFL evolution 2 for 25 bucks. Wanted an AFL fix but didn't want to deal with this one just yet, I'll probably give it a go in a couple months when it's all ironed out.
Plus I would rather play it on Xbox than PC.

PC Latest update - Hard difficulty on play now

I wanted to share some constructive feedback regarding the latest update of AFL23 video game on PC. I believe that by taking these points into consideration, you can further elevate the game and deliver an even more enjoyable experience for all players.

1. AI Marking Glitch: Occasionally, the AI players encounter a quirky bug where they freeze in place instead of pushing back off the mark when marking close to opponents. This results in some hilarious moments where they can effortlessly run past the man on the mark and kick goals. It would be fantastic if you could iron out this glitch to enhance the game's realism.
  2. Speckies and Marks: It seems that the game doesn't always recognize speckies as marks, which forces players to keep the play going instead of being rewarded for their amazing aerial feats. It would be awesome if you could tweak the system to ensure that these spectacular grabs are acknowledged as marks, adding an extra layer of authenticity.
  3. Player Switching Difficulty: Changing control to another player off the mark can be a bit of a headache at times. Streamlining this process would be a great quality-of-life improvement, allowing us to smoothly switch between players and focus on the strategic aspects of the game.
  4. Auto Interchange: The auto interchange feature could use some fine-tuning. Occasionally, we find players being swapped to the wrong positions, like a key defender ending up in the forward line. Giving the programming behind the auto interchange a little tweak would help maintain accurate player positions and add more tactical depth to the game.
  5. Kicking on the Run and Marking Spoils: Right now, kicking for goal while getting tackled can look quite comical, as the ball tends to shoot forward in an exaggerated manner. Additionally, marking spoils have become more challenging than ever, leaving no room for error in timing. By refining these aspects, you'll make the game feel even more realistic and ensure that players don't miss out on those hard-fought possessions.
  6. Clearance Kicks and Tackles: It's a bit amusing to witness clearance kicks made while being held in a tackle, as they magically hit their targets with drop-style kicks in any direction. Bringing more physics realism and trajectory to these kicks would enhance immersion and inject more authenticity into the gameplay.
  7. Animation Timing: Sometimes, certain actions like executing a snap can feel a tad slow, leading to players getting tackled or unexpected animation outcomes. Speeding up these animations to be more responsive and natural would definitely up the enjoyment factor.
Lastly, I want to express my gratitude for the team's efforts in addressing the game's issues through patches. While you're on the right track, I hope that future adjustments strike the perfect balance between improvement and maintaining an enjoyable gameplay experience.
Agree with all of those, all legitimate issues - the team are on them.

Question for Ross BigAntStudios does the team have a feel for where the game is at at the moment vs perfect state? Is it 60%? 80%..?

Bit the bullet and got rid of the xbox and purchased a PS5 and I have enjoyed the few games I have played (minus the obvious issues).

BigAntStudios JNT BA - Aesthetic and Immersion Suggestions/Questions, you can reply to any or all of the questions/suggestions and it will be nice if u can reference what you are responding to using, for example, Q1 for a question and S1 for a suggestion, coinciding with the number of the question or suggestion.

• (Question 1) Will ANZAC Round games and all Finals have the Australian National Anthem as part of pre-game cutscenes similar to Grand Final
  • (Question 2) Is there a rough timeframe (one week, two weeks, a month...) of when the missing ANZAC guernseys will be making it into the game (Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn)
  • (Question 3) Is there a rough timeframe (one week, two weeks, a month...) of when the Grand Final logos on guernseys will be implemented alongside the golden AFL premiers logo on guernseys the following year after winning the GF
  • (Question 4) If you are unable to acquire the access for all 18 team's indigenous guernseys (5/18 for example), will you still include those of which you do have access for or will you not include any at all to keep things 'fair'.
  • (Question 5) Any updates on the progress of the acquisition of the indigenous guernseys so far?
  • (Suggestion 1) Special Logos on the ground in place of "Toyota Premiership Season Logo" for special rounds (ANZAC Logo for ANZAC Round, Sir Nicholls logo for Indigenous Round, Finals Series logo for finals games, Grand Final Logo for Grand Final etc.)
  • (Suggestion 2) Last Post pre-game cutscene for ANZAC Round
  • (Suggestion 3) ANZAC Medal and/or Yiooken Award Presentation cutscene similar to Norm Smith Presentation (minus Grand Final stage) at end of ANZAC Day and Sir Nicholls Round (most notably Dreamtime at the 'G)
  • (Suggestion 4) Large Finals Games between rivals (Richmond V Carlton, Essendon V Hawthorn) or those between Top 4 to be played at night rather than early-mid afternoon
  • (Suggestion 5) Packed MCG (85,000+) regardless of team performances on ANZAC Day game between Essendon and Collingwood, and Dreamtime at the 'G between Richmond and Essendon
I understand the timeframe questions are difficult to answer and are subject to change, and I know that Ross has been crucified lately for details and additions to not be included by a certain date he initially said, but a current and loose ETA to let us (the fanbase) know that they are coming somewhat soon and aren't left in the dark, unsure if they are coming at all, would be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigAntStudios I have noticed that there are still team mates standing between the AI having a shot at goal and the guy on the mark. You can do nothing to move them. Also AI in between me having a shot and the guy on the mark.

BigAntStudios JNT BA - Aesthetic and Immersion Suggestions/Questions, you can reply to any or all of the questions/suggestions and it will be nice if u can reference what you are responding to using, for example, Q1 for a question and S1 for a suggestion, coinciding with the number of the question or suggestion.

• (Question 1) Will ANZAC Round games and all Finals have the Australian National Anthem as part of pre-game cutscenes similar to Grand Final
  • (Question 2) Is there a rough timeframe (one week, two weeks, a month...) of when the missing ANZAC guernseys will be making it into the game (Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn)
  • (Question 3) Is there a rough timeframe (one week, two weeks, a month...) of when the Grand Final logos on guernseys will be implemented alongside the golden AFL premiers logo on guernseys the following year after winning the GF
  • (Question 4) If you are unable to acquire the access for all 18 team's indigenous guernseys (5/18 for example), will you still include those of which you do have access for or will you not include any at all to keep things 'fair'.
  • (Question 5) Any updates on the progress of the acquisition of the indigenous guernseys so far?
  • (Suggestion 1) Special Logos on the ground in place of "Toyota Premiership Season Logo" for special rounds (ANZAC Logo for ANZAC Round, Sir Nicholls logo for Indigenous Round, Finals Series logo for finals games, Grand Final Logo for Grand Final etc.)
  • (Suggestion 2) Last Post pre-game cutscene for ANZAC Round
  • (Suggestion 3) ANZAC Medal and/or Yiooken Award Presentation cutscene similar to Norm Smith Presentation (minus Grand Final stage) at end of ANZAC Day and Sir Nicholls Round (most notably Dreamtime at the 'G)
  • (Suggestion 4) Large Finals Games between rivals (Richmond V Carlton, Essendon V Hawthorn) or those between Top 4 to be played at night rather than early-mid afternoon
  • (Suggestion 5) Packed MCG (85,000+) regardless of team performances on ANZAC Day game between Essendon and Collingwood, and Dreamtime at the 'G between Richmond and Essendon
I understand the timeframe questions are difficult to answer and are subject to change, and I know that Ross has been crucified lately for details and additions to not be included by a certain date he initially said, but a current and loose ETA to let us (the fanbase) know that they are coming somewhat soon and aren't left in the dark, unsure if they are coming at all, would be nice.
The grand final patches were on the guernseys when I played season mode today, not sure about management mode though.

Haha.... it's me, from Ashes Cricket 2009.
I was on the dev team (began working at Transmission Games after they lost the AFL license unfortunately).
The art team asked if we wanted to be selectable custom heads in the game, and I said yes.

So if you know me, you also know that game's Skin Type #3, Custom Head #49. :)
Hi, Rory Atkins doppelganger, nice to meet you 😳

Last edited:
I played the new patch on the ps5 today the game is getting better I like how hard it is getting too specciess need a little improvement keeps playing on getting done holding the ball also would love to see the scoreboards show at the grounds like afl evo 2 and is the game going to have a day/night when you’re playing an twilight game that be cool states in game would also be good like evo 2 had I hope big ant add that but enjoying the game a little more now I appreciate big ant and the team with the efforts they are putting in

Sick of waiting for xbox so I borrowed my brother's old PS4 and bought it on that. Struggling to get a hold of tackling or clearance play, but having a decent bit of fun in general on Play Now.

I was surprised at how common game breaking bugs and crashes are though. Have completed two games, had one crash, and had one become unplayable after the camera became fixed to a full forward after a missed goal kicking shot. Weird stuff. Very much still beta areas.

Also surprised at little things like age not being shown on the Player Contracts screen in Management Mode. Or a sort function on the same screen. Not sure how you miss something like that tbh.

Spamming Big Ants bug report and suggestions box it is, I guess.

BigAntStudios so how long would you estimate for each VFL, SANFL, WAFL and u18 championships to be added?

A few people in here have said they don't want to start management mode until there is confidence that draftable players will be updated to reflect real life counterparts. At the moment, there is uncertainty as to whether starting a management mode will see us stuck with generic drafted bald blokes, or whether we'll actually get state listed players when the game is updated.

With multiple people suggesting cutscenes before themed rounds and finals, such as the Australian National Anthem and the Last Post, I don't think people will want to wait any longer than the coin toss before playing a game.

And if anyone suggests to add a Skip button... to allow you to skip the National Anthem and especially the Last Post, you've got issues bigger than just what's included in a video game 😛

I'm all for realism in this game, but think about what you're suggesting.

With multiple people suggesting cutscenes before themed rounds and finals, such as the Australian National Anthem and the Last Post, I don't think people will want to wait any longer than the coin toss before playing a game.

And if anyone suggests to add a Skip button... to allow you to skip the National Anthem and especially the Last Post, you've got issues bigger than just what's included in a video game 😛

I'm all for realism in this game, but think about what you're suggesting.

Will you stand up during these cutscenes too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back