Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think different people play management modes in different ways. For example, I have a mate who plays NBA 2K's GM mode and he goes balls deep, plays every game on 12 minutes quarters, over 82 games plus Playoffs.

I play the same mode, but I'm more interested in simulating games, and the drafting, trading side of things to build up a list. Then I get to simulate the season to see how they go, making changes as needed.
Don't mind your method for bigger AAA titles that have depth. Could not see myself doing that for this game. Would get through 10 years worth of games within a day easily. Can easily spend a week or two managing and simulating a season on games like FIFA, Madden, NBA.

I'd say that's because the patch notes were released Saturday, this one was just a catch up to pc patch and nothing new released on Steam.

Funny reading ItsJonesy777 melting down over Ross's alleged deliberate vagueness only for the patch to come as implied šŸ˜…

Daresay more than a couple on here are now so deeply anti Ross/BA that they don't actually want the game to improve because it takes away their ammunition. Must be a lot of fun to be around IRL that crew
The patch released today on PS5 was of equivalent to the Steam patch of Saturday.

I think this is the main point where we differ. I'm an old prick, I've seen the full spectrum and BA were the first developer to be passionate about getting a good AFL game out the door. Ignoring the bugs for one second you can see they understand the game better than anyone else that has touched it. It's not for me to judge but from what I can see Ross is putting his money where his mouth is, he's a punter that doesn't mind mixing in, and if he was to magically transform into some type of customer service bot that that half the board appears to want I think the place would be poorer for it.

Yes, it hasn't gone to plan. Is there a developer that would do a better job and would gladly take this contract on without looking to cut costs at first opportunity? The answer is no. WW had seven bites at the cherry, eleven counting mobile platforms. They released one single game that was any good, and it wasn't even all platforms, being Evo 2 on PC @ 144hz+. Where do you think AFL 23 will be in six iterations compared to the WW series? Current gen consoles require much more effort, the gameplay engine (for want of a better term) needed to be rebuilt from the ground up, a task that history suggests is beyond WW. We dodged a bullet imo.

I should take a moment to acknowledge you make a good point, and you can absolutely have that view, I'm just sharing the way I see things. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything like that.

Version control is cruel. I've seen enough bad stuff happen in IT to know that this outcome is entirely plausible. To argue otherwise means at some point you are assuming a sequence of undetected issues is impossible and that someone somewhere at a critical point in the process did their job.

I won't milk this one but Sony EU don't owe BA a thing. I'm sure they have no problem breaking an SLA when it suits them. Also where is the relationship at between Sony and Nacon? Nacon and BA? All probably fine but as soon as you're working with other parties chances of things changing at short notice increase exponentially.

I'll give some examples of things that could create a last minute delay - a poorly communicated change to packaging requirements; a change to SLA; random drop in service / turnaround; Tester finding a new bug after signoff; Sony hitting up Nacon/BA with some new cost or extra hoop due to patch frequency. There'd probably be a dozen more.

Lucky last, Ross has said a few times that he's not going to answer every question and I completely understand. If you follow the likes on his activity page it gives you a good idea of what is in the pipeline or what he is currently thinking about.
Well said.

Does anyone else dislike the camera switching to behind the goals when set shots are on their way through? I'd much rather the camera stay static behind the player as they "ride the ball home", especially when you nail that shot from the boundary or judge the wind just right from 55m. I often find that behind the goals shot is harder to judge where the ball actually goes through. Would love a way to disable that.
Fair enough, I don't like it either, I'l chat with the team and JNT BA to see what can be done.

Can not figure out set shots to save myself anymore. Am I adjusting for wind or some arbitrary swing? Because it seems to go in a random direction no matter what.
Make sure you are accounting for footedness - left footers swing right, right footers swing left.

AFL 23 Crashed and it deleted my Fitzroy team :(
i had to makie them all over again :(
If you upload them to the Academy you could download it again, hoping you reported the Crash as then the team can look into fixing it.

So things like teleporting tackles and handballs, and the overall feeling of not always being in control of your own players, do you think they will actually be fixed?

Been radio silence on them since day one.

Honestly those issues are the only things needing desperate fixes if you ask me. By all means patch up Online/Management but these fundamental, game-breaking issues are what should be priority for BA. Itā€™s whats stopping me playing even twice a week at this stage until it gets worked on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handballing still needs a lot of work
So hard to play a fast paced game with handballing going in the opposite direction of what you want
Just played a game on Hardest and won by 10 goals but most of them were from centre clearances
The fluidity of the game trying to rebound from half back is cooked unless you kick mark all the way up the ground
Was using the pies and N.Daicos was all by himself on the half back flank, Noble had the ball about 5 metres away from him and instead of handballing to Daicos, it went directly behind him to the centre of the Crows forward 50 and they kicked an easy goal

Player positioning has made the game so much better with this latest patch, but it feels kind of useless to have those players in good positions when you canā€™t do what you want
EDIT: Players stuck in the mud has also taken a step back I feel
A lot of players are just so stagnant at times

Last edited:
Handballing still needs a lot of work
So hard to play a fast paced game with handballing a going in the opposite direction
Just played a game on Hardest and won by 10 goals but most of them were from centre clearances
The fluidity of the game trying to rebound from half back is cooked unless you kick mark all the way up the ground
Was using the pies and N.Daicos was all by himself on the half back flank, Noble had the ball about 5 metres away from him and instead of handballing to Daicos, it went directly behind him to the centre of the Crows forward 50 and they kicked an easy goal

Played positioning has made the game so much better with this latest patch, but it feels kind of useless to have those players in good positions when you canā€™t do what you want
Iā€™ve got my game style based off half back rebounds and got it nailed but I definitely butcher it occasionally which is realistic even if it is the game or user being shit (could genuinely be either one with me šŸ˜‚) but Iā€™ve kicked plenty of goals from backline transitions with kick/mark and handball/run/carry through the centre or the wing. Will be interesting when I get tactics tonight to see if it actually screws me šŸ˜‚

Make sure you are accounting for footedness - left footers swing right, right footers swing left.
Yes that is the case, even in real life, but in the game sometimes they swing too much, and almost to the point where there is no control over it and it will swing out on the full or to the behind no matter where you put it.

I said not as extreme. Didnā€™t say it was good.
Meaning May, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Daicos.
Itā€™s a start.
I reckon it's randomisation of the career. Big Ant haven't done anything to fix the issue however.

There needs to be a system where anyone rated 86+ cannot be delisted full stop. If they are out of contract, they should always be signed by someone.
And while it can happen in real life (although not very often), best to limit delistings to players with more than two years experience. Nothing would bug me more than having a recent draftee who's poorly rated by CD getting delisted.

Last edited:
Yes that is the case, even in real life, but in the game sometimes they swing too much, and almost to the point where there is no control over it and it will swing out on the full or to the behind no matter where you put it.
Swing for footedness is scaled on difficulty/timing/distance/attributes. Aim left post for lefties, right post for righties.

Since I played on ps5 the game is better with tactics but it still needs to improve with the handball tackling I still donā€™t know how to win a hit out on hardest not sure if thatā€™s anyone else I still think Ross will make this game good in a month or six weeks etc Iā€™m glad the patches came last night was sick of playing the same game with no update keen for more updates

Iā€™ve got my game style based off half back rebounds and got it nailed but I definitely butcher it occasionally which is realistic even if it is the game or user being s**t (could genuinely be either one with me šŸ˜‚) but Iā€™ve kicked plenty of goals from backline transitions with kick/mark and handball/run/carry through the centre or the wing. Will be interesting when I get tactics tonight to see if it actually screws me šŸ˜‚
Yeah I think it more so occurs when you chain 3 or 4 handballs in a row.
I like to handball up the ground with a run and carry game unless thereā€™s an obvious target down the ground all by himself. Itā€™s probably 1 in every 3 or 4 that go astray. As the centre clearances seem to be somewhat more accurate, itā€™s not as noticeable
Hence why I mentioned transitioning from half back. Not that itā€™s impossible to score, I just canā€™t play the way I want to

Also the overlap running seems to be miles better with this patch but it seems a lot of the time either A) Someone gets stuck in the mud or B) The handball is way off

Yeah I think it more so occurs when you chain 3 or 4 handballs in a row.
I like to handball up the ground with a run and carry game unless thereā€™s an obvious target down the ground all by himself. Itā€™s probably 1 in every 3 or 4 that go astray. As the centre clearances seem to be somewhat more accurate, itā€™s not as noticeable
Hence why I mentioned transitioning from half back. Not that itā€™s impossible to score, I just canā€™t play the way I want to
Iā€™m usually about that 3-4 handballs before I can spot a target with a kick, not often more than that which may be why im not seeing the issues you are.
Iā€™ve definitely encountered them, just not as much.
Definitely had moments where I can take 3 or 4 bounces down the wing and hit a target I50 as well which if it doesnā€™t happen too often is cool

Iā€™m usually about that 3-4 handballs before I can spot a target with a kick, not often more than that which may be why im not seeing the issues you are.
Iā€™ve definitely encountered them, just not as much.
Definitely had moments where I can take 3 or 4 bounces down the wing and hit a target I50 as well which if it doesnā€™t happen too often is cool
Kicking IMO is the best part of the game (aside from set shots)
Feels nice when you hit up a lead and again imo, thatā€™s when it feels like youā€™re most in control

Played a few single games on Hardest today with the new patch. Tactics are working well from what I played. Great work BA

With tackling, if you're near the ball carrier, hold R1 to home in + L2 to modify the tackle, and then tap or hold triangle. If I don't hold L2 it normally results in them getting the pass away when tackled. If I don't hold R1 It barely ever tackles. The downside is not being able to sprint while holding R1.

If anyone else knows a better way (on hardest) let me know.

Still some stuck in the mud animations and a few other quirks, but a good patch. Bring on the next!

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back