Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like they accidentally stumbled their way into something playable for a while, and then decided to completely change rucks, set shot, and opponent accuracy for no reason.

Haven’t had the opposition kick a behind in five games, and gone from winning most ruck contests to losing every single one without changing difficulty settings. Worse is that when my midfielders seem to be in a decent position they run to where the ball would hit the ground, meaning an opponent intercepts before it every gets there.

No ****ing idea what the new goal kicking UI is supposed to be either.

A whopping 18mb just updated for me! - no patch notes.. yet!

I'm actually seeing the ball pretty well, am pretty much 1 step ahead before the ball heads to the next "contest". The animations flow decently most of the time. That being said there are a lot of occasions where the player SHOULD run on to the bouncing ball, but like how they can't pick up dead balls on the ground........... the ball becomes a rock and they can't latch on to it in mid air. It's very bizarre and something else Big Ant needs to fix pronto (fix 1 thing, 2308231 things break).

In happier news - final match of the night........

RkYDeqI.png

BOOOOOOOOOOM

Absolutely belted Geelong on 5 minute quarters. I was on fire throughout the match, the only blemish were the behinds scored when I was being so careful. Even before the first one was scored, I knew I was stuffing up a few approaches at goal, pulled one kick away at the last second so it only just bounced before the goal square, which the AI latched on to and kicked away. But alas I wasn't 100% accurate in front of goal.

Last edited:

Consoles just got a patch, including Crossplay with Steam, so I imagine the Steam update is just also switching crossplay on.

Can you imagine that they consider it feature complete after this ?

Yes I know Xbox and Pro-team is still to come, but there are so many game breaking bugs in the game that need to be eliminated. If they don't get fixed now I doubt they'd get fixed in a "sequel" game.

Can you imagine that they consider it feature complete after this ?

Yes I know Xbox and Pro-team is still to come, but there are so many game breaking bugs in the game that need to be eliminated. If they don't get fixed now I doubt they'd get fixed in a "sequel" game.
I doubt this will be that point though… I’ve been regular receiving feedback on my bug reports, saying they’ve identified the issues I raised and they’re working on them…

They’re not listed in the patch notes. I assume they’re not in these patches yet (I’m away and haven’t played it to confirm).

Played 1 qtr before I had to leave the house.

Handballing - 10x better. Still can’t do those little handballs to someone right next to you but overall it’s much more playable

Stuck in the mud - Still exists for players standing still when receiving the ball

Turning circles - Seems to have taken a step back again. They say tackling is improved but **** me, it’s impossible to tell considering my players can never get near the oppostion

Holding the ball - AI gets a lot of these decisions sometimes when I’m almost immediately tackled. Needs to be adjusted.

Marking - Seems almost impossible in pack situations. Like I said, only played the one 5 minute qtr but didn’t take a single contested mark. Which also meant I didn’t have a single set shot at goal. Kicked 4.2 but every shot was on the run

Overall, game is much more playable but still some very annoying bugs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played 1 qtr before I had to leave the house.

Handballing - 10x better. Still can’t do those little handballs to someone right next to you but overall it’s much more playable

Stuck in the mud - Still exists for players standing still when receiving the ball

Turning circles - Seems to have taken a step back again. They say tackling is improved but * me, it’s impossible to tell considering my players can never get near the oppostion

Holding the ball - AI gets a lot of these decisions sometimes when I’m almost immediately tackled. Needs to be adjusted.

Marking - Seems almost impossible in pack situations. Like I said, only played the one 5 minute qtr but didn’t take a single contested mark. Which also meant I didn’t have a single set shot at goal. Kicked 4.2 but every shot was on the run

Overall, game is much more playable but still some very annoying bugs

Yeah handballing is better for long distance passes, short passing needs better detection - would like to pass to the person closest to me, not have the ball leapfrog them to go to another player further out.

And yeah I'm still not rotating properly, would love to be able to make a bee-line directly to the player with the ball, but quite often the mechanics force me to do a ( curve turn as opposed to run in a straight line toward the player. It's very annoying when the player is 10m or less away. At least if I was doing a longer 20-30m approach I have time to course correct and (maybe) tackle.

Marking is random, it's hard to know what the correct trigger point is. That said I'm enjoying part of the current broken-ness about it. Human controlled players can now "teleport" like the AI - I've teleport marked marks that I shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near (running distance too far etc).

For me goal kicking is 'improved'. I'm just happy I can once again nail set shots from 55-60m out on a more consistent basis,.
The meter is inconsistent (with the excuse of it's the players "footedness and kicking/power stats"). I've used the same player, same set shot mark distance/angle. And hit the marks on the meter at the same point..... and gotten completely different results (some completly shanked, some curved etc. Some would do a perfect drop punt animation, others the ball looked like it was spinning like a Shane Warne flipper!).

We wont. I think its important to acknowledge that idea is a pipe dream for as as consumers and Big Ant as creators. The patches so far have fixed 1, broken 2 etc
I don’t think it’s that bad, it’s more fixed 2, broken 1. We should get there it’s just taking an awfully long while.

If they are going to change the setshot meter again, you’d think it would cross their mind to check/tune the ai setshot accuracy while they’re at it. Very frustrating that these issues are reoccurring.

I don’t think it’s that bad, it’s more fixed 2, broken 1. We should get there it’s just taking an awfully long while.

If they are going to change the setshot meter again, you’d think it would cross their mind to check/tune the ai setshot accuracy while they’re at it. Very frustrating that these issues are reoccurring.

Nah I agree I dont think its that bad but I think footy is a very complex sport to replicate in a game and so far, each patch seems to tweak something that was working fine and revert it back again. I’m still waiting for training mode, another new goal meter just has me confused at this point 🤦🏻‍♂️

New patch plays well, except for the fact that the AI kicked 17.0 followed by 23.0 the next game, CHF marking contests are bugged and unwinnable (Dixon had 23 marks in the last game) and subs are broken

Had a go at an online match - it's worse than when I played it on week 1!!!!!

It wasn't so bad at the start, the connection seemed stable enough so both teams were able to kick/mark without delay

But as the match progressed problems arose, players unable to pick up the ball off the ground, fumbles galore (and I'm not so sure they are programmed into the game ?). Lots of teleporting as well.

And these "highlights" barely featured the many other bugs that were present!

Played a few more games, and with that come a few more issues:

Player/control responsiveness has reverted back to……crap. When being tackled I tap Square 10 times it either doesnt register or the animation is canned. Either way kills it.

Stuck in the mud/turning still exists. Highly frustrating building plays especially out on the wings. Add some teleport tackles and you’ve got that Day 1 feeling all over again 🤦🏻‍♂️

As I said earlier, 1 thing fixed 2 things broken. Its good we have a shiny new goal kicking UI, but it doesnt change where the game is STILL at nearly 3 months post release. 🗑️

Is it me or does Big Ant just seem like a "Fake It 'Till You Make It!" type of company? The more I look at things, The more I see a company that isn't properly managed, A company that doesn't know how to work to a timetable and a company that can't handle things when they go completely wrong?

Honestly, from what I've heard. It's probably a miracle that an absolute disaster like AFL 23 hasn't happened sooner and that it's a miracle that AO Tennis and Cricket 22 were even fixed in the first place. Hell, I've even heard things from company reviews that things just get dropped on the devs out of nowhere to add to the game they're working on. Seemingly meaning that the devs were learning about new modes as soon as we were...

Just bad planning all-around... I can't really see an AFL 25 happening with Big Ant... Nothing here reads to me like there's a sustainable fanbase for this game or a game you can really build upon... Hell, I don't even think we'll see an Xbox release of this game... It'll be long past the end of the season before it seems they'll even be able to get it out.

Maybe we'll luck out and the next people we get to make an AFL game both have a passion for the sport and the ability to properly plan and make a decent game.

Until that day, I feel like we're going to go around in circles with certain things finally getting fixed with other things getting broken again at the same time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back