Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from a couple of gameplay issues, Iā€™m really enjoying the game atm. The difficulty is now at a point where Iā€™m winning and losing and the momentum swings seem so realistic.

If only it released in this state, would have been great to see the improvements from here on.
Hopefully the next iteration takes some bigger leaps forward with gameplay and management mode and Iā€™ll be satisfied

Are you playing pro team modes or management?

Had a bit more of a look around last night and decided to actually rtfm to understand the modes etc.

It's decent. I'll get a bit of use out of it. Seemed like the coach challenges against other people were online matches, which I wasn't interested in doing. But reading that it's just a battle against AI controlling someone's team is a lot more enjoyable. Had a bit of fun coming up against some other teams, including a centre circle battle between my captain Jordan Dawson and his captain Jordan Dawson.

Need to play a couple more games I think, judging by the XP gains, to unlock the ladder leader stuff. Feel like I'm getting a handle on how the mode actually works now.

Last edited:

Game play overall has been tweaked - I've noticed a lot more AFL Live (2011)-isms.

Many ball ups get a tackle straight away leading to another ball up 5 seconds later.... gradually get it to the forward line after 2 minutes and a crumb goal.

Also the AI rarely kicks it out on the full now, in one game I played they only kicked it out on the full due to the pressure I applied and they were too close to the boundary line, that OOTF was the only result.

Game play overall has been tweaked - I've noticed a lot more AFL Live (2011)-isms.

Many ball ups get a tackle straight away leading to another ball up 5 seconds later.... gradually get it to the forward line after 2 minutes and a crumb goal.

Also the AI rarely kicks it out on the full now, in one game I played they only kicked it out on the full due to the pressure I applied and they were too close to the boundary line, that OOTF was the only result.
Yep Iā€™ve noticed this but also the clearance button has been elite in these situations for me. I donā€™t mind 2-3 stoppages in a row because itā€™s realistic.
The issue I have with stoppages atm is the tackling is extremely hit and miss. Sometimes it works a charm, other times youā€™re just watching the opposition walk it out of a stoppage and thereā€™s nothing you can do about it

It's probably to do with playing as a lower skilled team, but I'm finding the game almost punishes you for playing "properly". If I try and tap down, then handball to create space, before kicking on the outside, I'm either tackled for a ball up or giving away a htb free.

However if I win the tap and just mash clearance kick, it'll usually go 40m forward easily.

There also seems like times where the opponent is going to score regardless. If they win the tap, despite my mid being attached at the hip they simply will not lay a tackle. If a ball skittles along the ground it goes straight through my player into their hands. On the rare occasion that my defender is anywhere within 5m of their opponent, I'll get first and better position in a marking contest and still be unable to mark or spoil.

And of course my AI having no concept of running ahead of the ball to receive passes when I draw the man, while the opposition AI manages to do it perfectly.

Managing to grind out wins on medium, and appreciate the challenge, even if it does feel at times like you're a spectator.

Yep Iā€™ve noticed this but also the clearance button has been elite in these situations for me. I donā€™t mind 2-3 stoppages in a row because itā€™s realistic.
The issue I have with stoppages atm is the tackling is extremely hit and miss. Sometimes it works a charm, other times youā€™re just watching the opposition walk it out of a stoppage and thereā€™s nothing you can do about it

Clearance kicks
holding RB/R1 to pick up a loose ball off the ground
snap shots / dribble kicks
Holding the right stick to raise your arms to get a handball off in tackles (or something like that lol)

I barely use the extra functions in the gameplay :( haha - I'm basically holding the controller so I can sprint, aim where I'm moving to and either basic kick/handball to my pathway.

I've only just started to torpedo most set shots at goal - for something different.

And of course my AI having no concept of running ahead of the ball to receive passes when I draw the man, while the opposition AI manages to do it perfectly.

Managing to grind out wins on medium, and appreciate the challenge, even if it does feel at times like you're a spectator.

There are definitely times where it feels more scripted than natural flowing play. I can see when a certain action is going to lead to a guaranteed outcome. Example: the lead up to being pushed in the back is easy to read.... I pretty much stop what I am doing for those few seconds until the animation(s) play out. Then resume play when it's time to play on or take the kick itself.

Yeah it sucks how the AI can look like magicians, while the user has difficulty in chaining passes (that look competent rather than done at random or just luck). Granted I've pulled off a few good play acts in some games, 1-2 handballs or chip kick passes to get out of a tight spot. I've also done similar when say bombing it long, but marking on a very tight angle, instead of taking the set shot.... spotting a player on the side and kicking it to them to straighten up the angle.

** Since originally playing the game last year. While I can thump teams...... I have teams that put up more of a fight and can often get very good patches of game play against me. And those teams are (wait for it) Melbourne, St Kilda and..... North Melbourne lol. Sometimes it can be from first bounce, sometimes they don't kick in "slaughter mode" until the second quarter, but once they get going... I find their momentum harder to stop than any other side.

I know Evolution (and to a slightly lesser extent Evo 2) had a funny momentum swing in their game play. Where if they were ahead by xx points.... the AI just got harder no matter what and it was difficult to make a come back.

Brings me back to the early days of '23 - where I would struggle for 2.5 - 3 quarters..... but mount a sizeable comeback when the game was basically over in the final quarter (junk time expert here!! haha).

Last edited:
It's decent. I'll get a bit of use out of it. Seemed like the coach challenges against other people were online matches, which I wasn't interested in doing. But reading that it's just a battle against AI controlling someone's team is a lot more enjoyable.

Yeah same for me!! Iā€™m willing to bet Iā€™m an average player at best in terms of using the modifiers or beating the hardest CPU so instead of taking infinite Lā€™s to real people Iā€™m opting for CPU for now šŸ¤£ I also need to learn to tackle and handball better.

i think im done with the game unfortunately, pro team excited me but the gameplay is an absolute joke.

sick of the ball going through my players chests in the midfield so the oppo gets the clearance

sick of not being able to win a single marking contest both off and online

iā€™m quite upset because i want to play pro team and build a squad but the game is just absolutely terrible lmao

Aside from a couple of gameplay issues, Iā€™m really enjoying the game atm. The difficulty is now at a point where Iā€™m winning and losing and the momentum swings seem so realistic.

If only it released in this state, would have been great to see the improvements from here on.
Hopefully the next iteration takes some bigger leaps forward with gameplay and management mode and Iā€™ll be satisfied

Nailed it. The elephant in the room - can BA improve on the core gameplay dynamics? Live 1 showed great promise, 23 was a stumble at best and a failure to many, but you can see where they want to take it and there are green shoots pushing up under the dreck.

The huge question is - can BA be the first developer to crack both contested footy and provide tough, fair, skill based game play?

Contested footy is the tough one. Assuming they can somehow work something out, you then have this impossible challenge where the camera has to show you what the players are doing up close and make it easy to pass the ball to the best player available. If you zoom in, how do you know? If you zoom out, how does it remain skills based? I've got a few ideas but I'm sure we all do. There may never be one perfect system that makes everyone happy.

Had a bit more of a look around last night and decided to actually rtfm to understand the modes etc.

It's decent. I'll get a bit of use out of it. Seemed like the coach challenges against other people were online matches, which I wasn't interested in doing. But reading that it's just a battle against AI controlling someone's team is a lot more enjoyable. Had a bit of fun coming up against some other teams, including a centre circle battle between my Jordan Dawson and his Jordan Dawson.

Need to play a couple more games I think, judging by the XP gains, to unlock the ladder leader stuff. Feel like I'm getting a handle on how the mode actually works now.

Thanks! I thought for sure the player teams were online and here i was scratching my head around availability and wait time.

Gameplay definitely still broken. As others have said, the inability to consistently tackle when right next to an oppo player, and the ball just teleporting through your player into the opposition.

Another issue I don't think anyone has mentioned but could be wrong, is the AI is now able to play on over the mark and your player on the mark just stands there. So they can hit up 15m passes directly through the man on the mark. If the user does this, they get insta tackled and HTB.

The game is generally good outside of this, it just is so exasperating that there are always a few critical issues that just make the game frustrating as ****.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another issue I don't think anyone has mentioned but could be wrong, is the AI is now able to play on over the mark and your player on the mark just stands there. So they can hit up 15m passes directly through the man on the mark. If the user does this, they get insta tackled and HTB.
This does my absolute nut in. My guy marks, steps a metre or 2 back from the mark, I go to kick immediately (while behind the mark) which is apparently considered playing on and get tackled. Holding the ball.

This does my absolute nut in. My guy marks, steps a metre or 2 back from the mark, I go to kick immediately (while behind the mark) which is apparently considered playing on and get tackled. Holding the ball.

Yeah, it would be fine if it was like a risk of getting smothered based on the opponent's attributes, but the auto tackle every time is killer. Or if the auto tackle worked both ways, though I'd prefer the smother option.

Gameplay definitely still broken. As others have said, the inability to consistently tackle when right next to an oppo player, and the ball just teleporting through your player into the opposition.

A good (but boring) thing to do is check the replay after a sus bit of play. Teleport tackles and teleporting players to marking contests are still a thing and exist on replays.

But I've had instances of the ball teleporting feom contested situation 1 to contested situation 2... Didnt see it "live" but the replay showed the ball spilling out and a player from the contest 2 group clearly take possession and move with it.

Now why it doesnā€™t get shown fully live vs seeing it in the replay is a mystery.

A good (but boring) thing to do is check the replay after a sus bit of play. Teleport tackles and teleporting players to marking contests are still a thing and exist on replays.

But I've had instances of the ball teleporting feom contested situation 1 to contested situation 2... Didnt see it "live" but the replay showed the ball spilling out and a player from the contest 2 group clearly take possession and move with it.

Now why it doesnā€™t get shown fully live vs seeing it in the replay is a mystery.
Putting my dev hat on....

Replays in video games are generally replaying through a set of 'game events' in a timeline that occurred, and interpolating between them to be able to show it (like in slow mo, as there may not have been a frame between so show where everything was... but you can slow down between those two frames in a replay, interpolating to the predicted point).
So maybe there's something missing in the 'game events' list that happened in game, that replays are missing... or the interpolation logic is a bit off, which is why you may notice differences.

Putting my dev hat on....

Replays in video games are generally replaying through a set of 'game events' in a timeline that occurred, and interpolating between them to be able to show it (like in slow mo, as there may not have been a frame between so show where everything was... but you can slow down between those two frames in a replay, interpolating to the predicted point).
So maybe there's something missing in the 'game events' list that happened in game, that replays are missing... or the interpolation logic is a bit off, which is why you may notice differences.
Just putting out there that I love reading your industry knowledge. :thumbsu: I work in PC tech so the technical side of video game stuff isn't my forte but does fascinate me.

I've noticed applying tackle pressure has been a lot more difficult in Proteam than my management career.

My thinking is that it's probably because my Proteam lineup is pretty shit compared to the teams I've been playing, whereas in management mode it's more even.

Anyone else noticed that now Pro Team objectives are now updated but when claiming rewards (mostly XP) it doesnt seem to do anything? Also it glitched when I tried to apply a contract to a player as part as one of said objectives šŸ˜³

Anyone else noticed that now Pro Team objectives are now updated but when claiming rewards (mostly XP) it doesnt seem to do anything? Also it glitched when I tried to apply a contract to a player as part as one of said objectives šŸ˜³

All of these bugs and it's no wonder why there's delay delay delay.

I'd have online matches more often if my wins actually registered.

The UI up the top right doesn't seem to update, but you still get them.
If you back out to the main menu and go back into Pro Team, the top right info will have updated correctly. Also Level Progression gets updated (so your XP is levelling you up).

I've noticed applying tackle pressure has been a lot more difficult in Proteam than my management career.

My thinking is that it's probably because my Proteam lineup is pretty shit compared to the teams I've been playing, whereas in management mode it's more even.

Yeah fair. I wouldnt hate this if it was done better to be fair. But having the button just do nothing makes it feel like a bug

Just got the keepings off achievement/trophy on the Playstation. No clue how I got it on pc back in the day, and it was a fluke effort on playstation just before. I'm doing one of my 20 minute quarter runs... and it felt like the ball was yo-yo-ing around both ends for a while..... but I must have had a 5 minute keepings off stretch at some point during the 1st quarter.

Newcombe shrugs off a tackle and scores :p

After a bit of aerial ping pong, I finally got it out of the danger zone!

Last edited:
evil-defeated.gif

g2mEmZe.png

If only I could have had a score from the third quarter for the entire match :p
There's definite areas of improvement to be had as a result.

What's my motivation for 20 minute quarters ?
Does it get boring ?
Why ?

I say WHY NOT ? :p For me it's fun to see how much further I can push the scoring in the game.
Why do people continue to try to beat their Frogger or Donkey Kong high scores ? Same thing in concept!

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back