Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think the rubber banding or ā€˜momentumā€™ is a huge reason as to why it differs so often. Which I donā€™t necessarily hate. I just hate the plays that are impossible to stop but not because the user is bad, just because the game doesnā€™t allow you to stop it. If they fixed this and kept the momentum the same, I think the game would be in a better state
However if you start the game well, 9 times out of 10 youā€™re gonna destroy the opposition as you have all the momentum
Yeah that makes sense. I also think there has to be an element of some people just working out the best way to play game for a an easy win (sort of cheat the system in a sense) whether it be chip mark or something else. To be fair, good on those people who have worked it but if thatā€™s also tied to momentum then itā€™s definitely something that may need to tweak/adjusted. But then again donā€™t want to make it too hard for people who are already finding the game hard as it is lol.

Hopefully once the game hits Xbox alot of that stuff is ironed out.

Playing a few games on PS5 this morning after waiting a couple of weeks for all the patches to spin out firstā€¦ gotta say, Iā€™m still disappointed at just how far off the game is from looking like a finished product. And I reckon BA are (or at least should be) as well.

General player responsiveness & movement is too often still super frustrating. Snapping for goal in general play is still a hot mess. AI movement - especially defensively on a turnover/lost clearance - is also pretty poor. Goal kicking is way too easy (playing on med difficulty) & good luck trying to win a HTB.

Powering up your kick can often take a couple of goes, playing on quickly from a mark is still heaps quicksandy, general ball bounce physics are pretty bad, etcā€¦ there are just so many broken bits to work around, which I wasnā€™t expecting to still be the case.

Iā€™ve been playing on season mode and to still not have basic things like sliders (would solve sooo many issues), an ability to bump/speccy, and even just a better user interface for team selection, stats, etc is wild.

You have to re-do your team selection every game, and the total season stats (eg player disposals) are completely out of whack, when you look at individual stats from each game - they just donā€™t add up. Someone like Tom Mitchell is getting 7-12 touches a game when I look at simulated match results, yet he apparently averages about 30 a game when I look at total stats for the year.

Teams donā€™t even default to away guernseys when theyā€™re playing away, which isnā€™t a huge deal, but still. Brad Scott still not in the game, which is whatever, but itā€™s just such a stark reminder of how unfinished the game is whenever I get a random baldy pointing to a whiteboard during the breaks.

The camera angles are *ing weird, especially when you nail a set shot (is this angle from some sort of grasshopper cam?) & general replays/highlights are super limited - player heights still change depending on goal celebration animations, which you canā€™t help but notice. The list goes on.

If this is supposedly the last week of daily patches, there would wanna be some significant updates still coming our way! I wonā€™t even touch management mode until basic stats & game functionality is improved. Which is really all I want to play the game for. Ugh.

Tbh, yes thereā€™s still a lot to like - things like handballing & the ability to link up play have definitely improved - but it still feels like a Beta version thatā€™s a month or so out from launch IMO.

Like everyone, yes of course I appreciate all the hard work BigAntStudios are doing each day etc etc - but man, this is still such a frustrating game to play atm. And this is coming from a pretty-easily-pleased Evo 2 fan, FWIW.

Guess Iā€™ll try again in another fortnight or so. šŸ™„
My expectations were definitely high because of Live 2011, their League Live series and Lacrosse series. I thought 23 would have implemented all the compatible aspects and game mechanics of those respective sport games into this game.

Yeah that makes sense. I also think there has to be an element of some people just working out the best way to play game for a an easy win (sort of cheat the system in a sense) whether it be chip mark or something else. To be fair, good on those people who have worked it but if thatā€™s also tied to momentum then itā€™s definitely something that may need to tweak/adjusted. But then again donā€™t want to make it too hard for people who are already finding the game hard as it is lol.

Hopefully once the game hits Xbox alot of that stuff is ironed out.
I find if the momentum starts going against me and the opposition get a bit of a run on that chip/mark slows it down and allows me to get it down my end and wrestle it back before I go back to my run/carry/Richmond chaos game.
The chaos game I just canā€™t get momentum back with but is great for creating a run on when you have it.

The Evolution games had all the features and absolutely dogsh*t gameplay. I'd take no features and good gameplay over anything WW ever served up.

LOL the biggest critism I remember reading about Evolution on here was because people couldn't figure out how to mark the ball (in fairness the Evolution tutorial screen didn't even explain it correctly)

The Evolution games had all the features and absolutely dogsh*t gameplay. I'd take no features and good gameplay over anything WW ever served up.
I wish BA would have forgone labouring on facescans and stadium authenticity and just put most of the work into the gameplay. Art side should have just been on the motion capture stuff. I'd take 2007 graphics with fantastic gameplay and not many modes. I'm serious, I play games for the gameplay, not graphics.

LOL the biggest critism I remember reading about Evolution on here was because people couldn't figure out how to mark the ball (in fairness the Evolution tutorial screen didn't even explain it correctly)

You have to admit the first Evo especially was a huge mess of bugs. Evo 2 got better but I cant say its still that good behind all the bells and whistles. In-game it was ordinary to me, speccies looked canned, tackling was garbage and the whole movement/feel of the game was off. Go play and tell me the banana/snap set shots look natural too šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ they didnt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly my point from before šŸ”„
Evolution is the only game where my disc became a frisbee when I was bored around the house.

Personal opinion but worst of all time!
Would happily take the 2003-2007 games now over anything Evolution dished up.

Iā€™m finding 23 to be increasingly fun but I also admit thereā€™s still a lot of work to be done with missing features and bugs that when rectified will only increase the experience.

I get people saying itā€™s better, I understand those saying itā€™s worse.
We all have different wants, needs and expectations but at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that is a game we all love.
Hopefully everyone on here reporting their bugs is also doing it through big ants support page and we can all help to shape future editions (AFL 25 - BigFooty shitshow edition)

You have to admit the first Evo especially was a huge mess of bugs. Evo 2 got better but I cant say its still that good behind all the bells and whistles. In-game it was ordinary to me, speccies looked canned, tackling was garbage and the whole movement/feel of the game was off. Go play and tell me the banana/snap set shots look natural too šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ they didnt

I didn't really take much notice of them. I liked the tackling and the bumps!!

Don't get me wrong I live in hope '23 improves further (without having to wait for '24 or '25 just to see if my gripes with it are fixed!) and I've been able to emulate many classic real life AFL moments in the game (linking passages of play, some classic shots for goal, some running/bounces/shots at goal etc). It's just a lot of the bugs from day 1 are still present and show no sign of being removed from the game - which does detract from the experience.

The Evolution games were great, I emulated many real life passages of play (which kept me coming back for more), the game play was fine for me. It resembled the AFL that I wanted to play.
2011 was more like that for me, it was advertised as, "hand balling is your best friend" a real innovation in AFL games. 23 punishes you for hand balling. Evo series had very awkward animations, no ability to rotate after taking a mark or peeling off a mark, and "playing on" just by pressing a button, which makes no sense (23 has that unrealistic press button to play-on for goal kicks, too). WW were always trying to imitate Live 2011, starting with Live 2, but didn't put in some of the key features.

And I firmly believe and have faith that we will get it. It has taken far longer than it should ever have needed to as we all know. Itā€™ll get there. Better late than never.
I think so too. It has all the bones of being a great game, Iā€™m mostly just disappointed at how far off it still is.

Evolution is the only game where my disc became a frisbee when I was bored around the house.

Personal opinion but worst of all time!
Would happily take the 2003-2007 games now over anything Evolution dished up.

Iā€™m finding 23 to be increasingly fun but I also admit thereā€™s still a lot of work to be done with missing features and bugs that when rectified will only increase the experience.

I get people saying itā€™s better, I understand those saying itā€™s worse.
We all have different wants, needs and expectations but at the end of the day we all want the same thing and that is a game we all love.
Hopefully everyone on here reporting their bugs is also doing it through big ants support page and we can all help to shape future editions (AFL 25 - BigFooty shitshow edition)
I wasn't a fan of WW's AFL games, but Evo 2 is better, but only because they were "trying" to imitate Live 2011's gameplay design. IR Gurus games were mostly just kick, mark, goal with super awkward movements, it punished you for trying to do precision movements, similar to 23. I read from one of The IR Gurus guys they had very limited time to do anything, the IR developer was envious of Big Ant's longer development time for Live 2011.

Last edited:
You mean like the season pack?
No I mean like a full new game every year at $99. They have the foundation there. Yearly edition would include updated fixtures, squads and feature/gameplay/animation improvements. They release a new cricket game every ashes, donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t release a new afl game every season.

No I mean like a full new game every year at $99. They have the foundation there. Yearly edition would include updated fixtures, squads and feature/gameplay/animation improvements. They release a new cricket game every ashes, donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t release a new afl game every season.
Will the demand be there like it is for cricket though? I feel like AFL is a smaller market and they could justify a DLC in between when cricket fans especially now the Indian market is going to be involved as well will demand a new releases every year.

Surely am. Currently 10 tickets that have not yet been replied to but some of those have been submitted today šŸ„²

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back