Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts from back in Feb (attached below). Man, I really felt like I went in with verrry modest expectations of this game, yet it has STILL somehow under-delivered.

Tried giving it another go again today and itā€™s bluddy awful. Such unresponsive player movement, in particular re marking/going back off the mark/playing on from a mark. Tackling is a laugh, especially if youā€™re trying to defend in your back 50.

Thankfully, I can see how many total disposals in a season each player has when they line up for goal.

Is that stat usually shown in AFL games? Nope. Are the stats even accurate? Also nope. Total season disposals still does not actually line up with individual game stats. A shocking oversight in a modern sports game.

BigAntStudios , itā€™s surely now time to level with your consumers. How much longer can we expect to wait for the game to be functioning as intended? Or are you happy with the current state of the game?

Youā€™ve surely had enough time now to get a read on how much left there is to fix & get a rough ETA on how long it takes to work through each patch update.

If a consumer didnā€™t want to play the game until it has all of the features and none of the core gameplay bugs, roughly how long can they expect to be waiting?

Is it a month away you reckon? 2 months? End of year? Surely you can give us an indication by now.

I still think that this has the bones of a great AFL game, I just donā€™t want to keep wasting my time playing it until itā€™s finished - and no one from Big Ant Studios seems willing to give even a best guess indication of when that will be.

Attachments

• IMG_8264.jpeg
    IMG_8264.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 72
BigAntStudios would it be possible to add in more time options for custom match online? such as 7.5 mins and 10 mins qtrs. Would love to play online against friends in longer matches.
Cheers

Dose anyone know when the sub going to work ?

Don't even think the developers know at this point!

Not intended as a put down, just meant it as they might have other priorities with what they want to patch (easiest thing to hardest ?). I can understand having a mountain of things to try and check off and get right

Last edited:

where are the 50m penalties ?
where is the deliberate out of bounds ?
why does the ball rebound back into play after hitting the goal post and play continues until it's either out of bounds or kicked through the goals again ?
Why do the legs of the tackler and the tackle-ee violently shake around when they are both on the ground with the ball ? :p
The way I play, I'm kinda happy about no deliberate or 50m penalties... Saying that I think the SANFL should definitely have 25 metres penalties in game

disappointed-bunk-moreland.gif

If they get another crack at it, it would want to be 1000 times better than '23.

Of course it will be better. I donā€™t think people realise they built this game from nothing.

People try to put it side by side to fifa, nfl etc. those games have been around for years and they just use the same game from a year prior and tweak little bits and pieces. Anyone that plays fifa knows full well that the game feels exactly the same as the one 4 years prior.

At least for afl 23 they now have the base layer to build of next year which gives them a shit load more time for upgrades to mechanics/gameplay, visually whatever it is they have planned.

For a game built from the ground up where it is at at the moment I think they have done a great job. People just have a vendetta against BA now since the launch was a flop and no matter what they do to fix it people are still going to be having a big sook like a 5 year old not getting a bag of lollies.

Man if you people hate the game so much, why do you continue to play it lol. Itā€™s going to play the same as it played 2 days ago why make yourself annoyed. Go out and smell the fresh air

Don't even think the developers know at this point!

Not intended as a put down, just meant it as they might have other priorities with what they want to patch (easiest thing to hardest ?). I can understand having a mountain of things to try and check off and get right
Yeah I understand that I just though it would be easy fix

I have spent the better part of 20 years modding FIFA games. That was until they stopped it. You basically can't mod FIFA nowadays.
Not only can you mod AFL23, Ross and BigAnt are genuinely encouraging and enabling it.
Modding FIFA generally involved somebody cracking the code and then making a Database manager etc and a whole bunch of back and forth on soccergaming forum.
Obviously AFL23 is much more user friendly and if you want to make the Mallee Park Peckers in the Port Lincoln Football League, you can - which is fantastic because that is my next destination after the Tasmanian Football League.
Sure, I have my issues with gameplay (I still can't handball for quids) but I really do enjoy playing it (and playing around with it) a lot.

Of course it will be better. I donā€™t think people realise they built this game from nothing.

People try to put it side by side to fifa, nfl etc. those games have been around for years and they just use the same game from a year prior and tweak little bits and pieces. Anyone that plays fifa knows full well that the game feels exactly the same as the one 4 years prior.

At least for afl 23 they now have the base layer to build of next year which gives them a s**t load more time for upgrades to mechanics/gameplay, visually whatever it is they have planned.

For a game built from the ground up where it is at at the moment I think they have done a great job. People just have a vendetta against BA now since the launch was a flop and no matter what they do to fix it people are still going to be having a big sook like a 5 year old not getting a bag of lollies.

Man if you people hate the game so much, why do you continue to play it lol. Itā€™s going to play the same as it played 2 days ago why make yourself annoyed. Go out and smell the fresh air

I've put almost 90 hours of game time into it, if I really hated it I would have stopped at 30 :p. I just think it should be far better than it is.
And if there are glaringly obvious glitches and bugs in this that haven't been squashed so far (some were, but were re-introduced in later patches and they still haven't been taken out lol) I'm curious if they'd even be addressed in future game's or would they remain in as quirks of the engine ?

There are a few "quirks" in Cricket 22, that have been in the game since the original Don Bradman Cricket :p lol

My thoughts from back in Feb (attached below). Man, I really felt like I went in with verrry modest expectations of this game, yet it has STILL somehow under-delivered.

Tried giving it another go again today and itā€™s bluddy awful. Such unresponsive player movement, in particular re marking/going back off the mark/playing on from a mark. Tackling is a laugh, especially if youā€™re trying to defend in your back 50.

Thankfully, I can see how many total disposals in a season each player has when they line up for goal.

Is that stat usually shown in AFL games? Nope. Are the stats even accurate? Also nope. Total season disposals still does not actually line up with individual game stats. A shocking oversight in a modern sports game.

BigAntStudios , itā€™s surely now time to level with your consumers. How much longer can we expect to wait for the game to be functioning as intended? Or are you happy with the current state of the game?

Youā€™ve surely had enough time now to get a read on how much left there is to fix & get a rough ETA on how long it takes to work through each patch update.

If a consumer didnā€™t want to play the game until it has all of the features and none of the core gameplay bugs, roughly how long can they expect to be waiting?

Is it a month away you reckon? 2 months? End of year? Surely you can give us an indication by now.

I still think that this has the bones of a great AFL game, I just donā€™t want to keep wasting my time playing it until itā€™s finished - and no one from Big Ant Studios seems willing to give even a best guess indication of when that will be.
BAShave shown they simply donā€™t seem to have a good judge of time fullstop.

At least for afl 23 they now have the base layer to build of next year which gives them a s**t load more time for upgrades to mechanics/gameplay, visually whatever it is they have planned.

I think whether people like it or not, we have to consider this game as version 1.0 for Big Ant. This is probably the first of many iterations of AFL that Big Ant will have the chance of making.

Now I understand there was a lot of hype and excitement towards this game and a lot of that was driven by Ross and Big Ant. Some of which lead to higher expectations from many on here and which for some hasnā€™t gone to plan. Now some may disagree, but I genuinely believe alot of the hype and excitement came from a place of someone who truely was excited to be able to make an AFL game again. And to make the best version of said AFL game. Has it panned out great? Obviously not. But I believe that a lot of hard work was put in to make the game as good as they could.

Now back to version 1.0. This is a game made from the ground up at Big Ant with nothing (Iā€™m guessing) being carried over from AFL Evo 2. Considering that, I reckon a few things that we all want and I reckon Big Ant wanted arenā€™t ready to be in the game. Also I reckon there were few creative decisions made (Rightly or wrongly & agree to disagree) to leave some things out of this version like Single player career. Now that AFL 23 (version 1.0) has been released, they a base of the game in which they can improve on. To that end I reckon Ross and Big Ant have a number ideas, plans and places they want to take the game in the future. Hopefully with version 2.0 they can take what they have learned from AFL 23 and create the best version of AFL they can.

The game and the launch clearly didnā€™t go to plan but I doubt this will be Big Ants last go at it and they will probs get the license to launch AFL 25. So all we can do is keep supporting AFL 23 and hope for bigger and better things in the future.

Until the future, letā€™s focus on getting this version of the game up to where it needs to be šŸ‘šŸ»

Ps: this is not a excuse for the game launching the way it did, rather some perspective for those who are disappointed in things not being in the game or believe Big Ant wonā€™t get another shot at AFL 25/26 etc

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no sympathy for the 'we built the game from the ground up' argument.

Sure, and nearly everything about the game was broken on launch - taking 6 weeks to somewhat fix.

And basic features that are central to sports games were not included, or are broken and still not fixed.

That you had no building blocks doesn't excuse the game being poor.

Just quickly, I was a big Big Ant fan and really rapt they got this game. I really rate Ross choosing to appear in the thread and in the initial phases where the game launched broken, was a massive fan. I think it's absolutely astonishing that the company's CEO (!!!) has got the time to crow about sales numbers and dunk on consumers, yet doesn't have the time to tell said consumers if x feature is coming or not. It comes off as petty, churlish and pretty immature. The conduct of the CEO has done more than the game's broken-ness in turning me completely off AFL23.

Ross, what are you doing on BigFooty!? Bluntly, remove the account and communicate in a professional manner, using FB, IG, Twitter. Have an actual communications department take up the consumer-facing roles - you seem to have one...

Just perplexing stuff, this whole exercise. The game is as bad as it is probably due to short dev time and the lack of any groundwork already there, but the conduct of the official BA account here has made the whole thing 5x as bad.

BigAntStudios would it be possible to add in more time options for custom match online? such as 7.5 mins and 10 mins qtrs. Would love to play online against friends in longer matches.
Cheers
We can look at that after the cross-play is back in (when patches are all equal), otherwise it would probably diminish the playing pool too much. JNT BA please put on list.

I have spent the better part of 20 years modding FIFA games. That was until they stopped it. You basically can't mod FIFA nowadays.
Not only can you mod AFL23, Ross and BigAnt are genuinely encouraging and enabling it.
Modding FIFA generally involved somebody cracking the code and then making a Database manager etc and a whole bunch of back and forth on soccergaming forum.
Obviously AFL23 is much more user friendly and if you want to make the Mallee Park Peckers in the Port Lincoln Football League, you can - which is fantastic because that is my next destination after the Tasmanian Football League.
Sure, I have my issues with gameplay (I still can't handball for quids) but I really do enjoy playing it (and playing around with it) a lot.
I still mod fifa

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can look at that after the cross-play is back in (when patches are all equal), otherwise it would probably diminish the playing pool too much. JNT BA please put on list.
On the time conversation, is a 6 minute game mode in management, play now, season (basically offline) an option.
From my personal experience it would give the most realistic scores. 5 mins is just a bit low, 7.5 is a bit high!
Definitely not a game killer or priority obviously though.

Sure, and nearly everything about the game was broken on launch - taking 6 weeks to somewhat fix.

And basic features that are central to sports games were not included, or are broken and still not fixed.

Just quickly, I was a big Big Ant fan and really rapt they got this game. I really rate Ross choosing to appear in the thread and in the initial phases where the game launched broken, was a massive fan. I think it's absolutely astonishing that the company's CEO (!!!) has got the time to crow about sales numbers and dunk on consumers, yet doesn't have the time to tell said consumers if x feature is coming or not. It comes off as petty, churlish and pretty immature. The conduct of the CEO has done more than the game's broken-ness in turning me completely off AFL23.

Ross, what are you doing on BigFooty!? Bluntly, remove the account and communicate in a professional manner, using FB, IG, Twitter. Have an actual communications department take up the consumer-facing roles - you seem to have one...

Just perplexing stuff, this whole exercise. The game is as bad as it is probably due to short dev time and the lack of any groundwork already there, but the conduct of the official BA account here has made the whole thing 5x as bad.

Every single time, as in 100% of the time I've talked about numbers and related topics, it has been in response to a post asking. To my recollection you will not find otherwise.

We have listed what will be in the game, and ultimately the back of the box is the go to.

That said, I tend to want to give shitposters and trolls a bit of a deserved whack, I will try to be better.

Last edited:
On the time conversation, is a 6 minute game mode in management, play now, season (basically offline) an option.
From my personal experience it would give the most realistic scores. 5 mins is just a bit low, 7.5 is a bit high!
Definitely not a game killer or priority obviously though.
It's a lot more feasible to modify game time for offline game for sure. We have a bit more tuning to do on difficulty, which will effect scoring, we will revisit this for you after that.

Every single time, as in 100% of the time I've talked about numbers and related topics has been in response to a post asking. To my recollection you will not find otherwise.

We have listed what will be in the game, and ultimately the back of the box is the go to.
Does that mean we can expect some form of user based player development?
As far as Iā€™ve seen itā€™s randomly done in management mode but would love a manual way to develop my squad.

Everybody was supportive in the early days. Everybody. It wasn't until the deranged responses came in when people started pointing out red flags and strange omissions that the tide shifted. I got dunked on for about 10 pages when I noticed career mode was missing from the store listings. Was bizarre af.

And lo and behold there's no career mode in the game.

That sort of thing was constant until release (Frankenstein builds and commentarygate and all the rest of it), then the release itself was an unmitigated disaster, now there's been no communication on when things will be fixed, so more and people people are becoming understandingly fed up.

Just been so disappointing.

I still have the Xbox version pre-ordered. Will cancel if the game's not fixed by then. By that I mean the bugs raised since day one are fixed, and management mode lives up to its name rather than being a bunch of play now matches glued together.

Does that mean we can expect some form of user based player development?
As far as Iā€™ve seen itā€™s randomly done in management mode but would love a manual way to develop my squad.
I'll get JNT BA to post about this tomorrow, it's not random.

Cheers Ross! Definitely prioritise plenty of other things above this!
There are plenty of people at Big Ant that can get this done in parallel with other tasks, but the timing of it will be based on analytics of the scores that people are getting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back