Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or is it...

I don't know about Footy Showdown being the savior of AFL games... It seems like a nice little project but I feel like it's gonna mainly be just Play Now games and that's it and while the gameplay has a chance to be nice, I don't think it'll have the longevity needed but I don't know. That's up to the developer of the game to decide what to put in. I hope he does finish it but let's not push him as the only hope here. Might cause him to stop due to the pressure and we don't need that. We're already starved for good Aussie Rules game at it is...

EDIT: You know what, After seeing what Ross did. Let's push this game to the bloody moon and support this guy. Maybe he should get a Patreon going for it. Someone needs to give Ross an ego check.

Last edited:
I donā€™t see bigant making any money from Proteams now, for this iteration of the game. Letā€™s say best case scenario- Proteams is available by Round 18 (2 weeks). Thatā€™s 10 weeks of the Season left. And thatā€™s not to guarantee the online gameplay will be good yet. No one is going to want to invest extra money into the mode for that short lifespan. Theyre gonna have to make it ā€˜play to earnā€™ for new packs, and use it as a sample for future years.

All the VFL/AFL games have been really poor attempts at simulating the sport. Usually all a kick, mark, goal scenario. Live 2011 got it the closest right, where hand passing became a more critical mechanic, among other things. However, it needed more iterations, but that ship unfortunately sailed.
Jesus... We were all cursed as Aussie Rules fans... Like what did we do to deserve this mess as fans... It's insane.

But then he also sank to a level of pulling out a users private business and rubbing an old job application in his face. Not on. THAT is clown behaviour and if I was an employee of his I wouldā€™ve been shaking my head had they seen that comment. Criticising a game never warrants personal attacks if you ask me.
Your last sentence is spot on and Ross was merely replying to previous attacks. The old job application, in my opinion was bought up to show why the user was behaving that way. Then to claim he was ā€˜doxxedā€™ when anyone could quite easily search his username on FB which would lead you straight to him, his LinkedIn etc is laughable. Add to that, taking to Twitter to abuse him as well.
Weā€™re going over old ground here but if you want to portray something then you need to tell both sides of the story.

But then he also sank to a level of pulling out a users private business and rubbing an old job application in his face. Not on. THAT is clown behaviour and if I was an employee of his I wouldā€™ve been shaking my head had they seen that comment. Criticising a game never warrants personal attacks if you ask me.
Ok, I missed this but this is not ok at all. Honestly, Ross should have been suspended or fired for that and frankly, if this blew up everywhere, The AFL would probably cancel the license. Seriously unacceptable and unprofessional behavior. And this guy runs the company making the game... No wonder so many people can't stand him. He's incredibly unlikable and unprofessional at times.

I don't know about Footy Showdown being the savior of AFL games... It seems like a nice little project but I feel like it's gonna mainly be just Play Now games and that's it and while the gameplay has a chance to be nice, I don't think it'll have the longevity needed but I don't know. That's up to the developer of the game to decide what to put in. I hope he does finish it but let's not push him as the only hope here. Might cause him to stop due to the pressure and we don't need that. We're already starved for good Aussie Rules game at it is...

EDIT: You know what, After seeing what Ross did. Let's push this game to the bloody moon and support this guy. Maybe he should get a Patreon going for it. Someone needs to give Ross an ego check.
Gameplay is paramount above all. And game_chromosome did say something about early access. I'm really impressed with what he achieved by himself. Have you seen or played Legend Bowl? That is also made by 1 guy, that went viral, even made it onto some TV show.

Last edited:
Weā€™re going over old ground here but if you want to portray something then you need to tell both sides of the story

Absolutely agree with that. I understand from his end that thereā€™s people making comments or having a dig towards him or the game and I can completely understand the need to protect your position, game or company in that regard. A lot of what was said around that point was nasty from both sides but I only brought it back up as a point that he can call some people clowns etc but then there he is getting lower than that.

I mustā€™ve missed that, but yeah thatā€™s not on AT ALL.

One of the myriad of things that was deleted before getting to a wider set of eyes...

I think people are now seeing that it isn't just some unearned vendetta; he has really crossed the mark a number of times.

One of the myriad of things that was deleted before getting to a wider set of eyes...

I think people are now seeing that it isn't just some unearned vendetta; he has really crossed the mark a number of times.
I still believe thereā€™s two sides to it but the difference is that heā€™s the CEO of a company with an already damaged reputation due to the launch going badly, the rest are members of the public and his consumers.
I just donā€™t get why you wouldnā€™t bite your tongue when thereā€™s already questions about your company. Not grab a shovel and dig the hole deeper.

Jesus... We were all cursed as Aussie Rules fans... Like what did we do to deserve this mess as fans... It's insane.
Bad decision making, trying to compete with EA's graphics, when that's impossible on a lower budget and less time. Something all the developers are guilty of. I remember seeing photos of WW doing photogrammetry on their tiny budget, it's just nonsensical. Should have just used common sense and came up with an art style that isn't overly complex but still rotoscoped, and used most of the budget into hiring programmers. I don't think a simulation Aussie Rules game is impossible to make, when one guy by himself is able to give it a real crack.

I still believe thereā€™s two sides to it but the difference is that heā€™s the CEO of a company with an already damaged reputation due to the launch going badly, the rest are members of the public and his consumers.
I just donā€™t get why you wouldnā€™t bite your tongue when thereā€™s already questions about your company. Not grab a shovel and dig the hole deeper.

I can't speak for Twitter, I'm sure it is reprehensible over there, but the bolded is doing the posters here a disservice to be honest; people here were taking (reasonable) shots at the game, not at Ross. Ross was the one who then made it personal and attacked the poster. I really can't abide the 'both sides' label in that regard.

I can't speak for Twitter, I'm sure it is reprehensible over there, but the bolded is doing the posters here a disservice to be honest; people here were taking (reasonable) shots at the game, not at Ross. Ross was the one who then made it personal and attacked the poster. I really can't abide the 'both sides' label in that regard.
Iā€™ll pay that. With the exception of a couple
Of comments that were shots at Ross, the majority were aimed at the game as a general rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gameplay is paramount above all. And game_chromosome did say something about early access. I'm really impressed with what he achieved by himself. Have you seen or played Legend Bowl? That is also made by 1 guy, that went viral, even made it onto some TV show.
I haven't but it does look like a good game. The thing is I don't know how viral Footy Showdown could go. Still worth a shot at supporting. I'm just a little nervous going all out pushing for it as I've gotten burned so many times by Aussie Rules games letting me down. I just don't want to get hyped about something that could burn me again until I know it's right.

Completely disagree. There were many posts I personally reported that were abusive and plenty of others that disappeared not long after posted too.

Completely disagree. There were many posts I personally reported that were abusive and plenty of others that disappeared not long after posted too.

I'm only going off the instances Ross got personal, and in each case the poster in question was merely airing their gripes and disappointments with the game.

Naturally I can only comment on the instances I saw.

Your entire post history since 2014 relates to Big Ant... I am a bit wary of your intentions.

Bad decision making, trying to compete with EA's graphics, when that's impossible on a lower budget and less time. Something all the developers are guilty of. I remember seeing photos of WW doing photogrammetry on their tiny budget, it's just nonsensical. Should have just used common sense and came up with an art style that isn't overly complex but still rotoscoped, and used most of the budget into hiring programmers. I don't think a simulation Aussie Rules game is impossible to make, when one guy by himself is able to give it a real crack.
I think I see why they tried to compete with it. So many people go on about graphics with sports games and wanting the best online and while that means nothing in terms of gameplay. I think these guys saw all of those comments of the "Can't wait to play it on my PS1 lol" and "OMG, Graphics so bad!" crowd and saw the graphics and presentation as a priority.

I think that's a bit of an issue when again, It seems like everyone has a different idea of what's important for an AFL game. A lot of us here know that the gameplay is key with stuff like a Management Mode and Customization being good additions to add on down the line but a lot of the general consumers want FIFA but with AFL without knowing that it's not possible with the budget. Again, Communication from the devs to consumers has never been any good with these games so that's also allowing this perception to continue.

Jesus... Any other example of this ya got? He really need to be held accountable for it. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from a CEO who's meant to be talking with the community he's meant to be targeting for his game.

There was quite a bit of stuff that shouldn't have been said to Ross but you have to be the bigger man. Don't attack people and low blow 'em. They're just random people, You're the one trying to sell this game.

Ok so just to try lighten the mood a bit and turn the focus back on the game, how about a game of whoā€™d you rather/F,M,K? Using AFL Premiership 2005, AFL Live 2 and AFL 23 šŸ¤£

Iā€™ll start -

F - AFL Premiership 2005
Marry - AFL 23
Kill - AFL Live 2
F - AFL Live 2 (It at least had Create a Team in the DLC and a few more options than AFL Premiership 2005 had despite the awfulness of the game)
Marry - AFL 23 (Is barebones but has better gameplay than both combined)
Kill - AFL Premiership 2005 (Management Mode is the only reason you'd play it. Worse than the games before and after it.)

If you are focusing on your personal interactions with Ross then I guess your issue is with him and not the game.
Taking pot shots at individuals is petty. Taking potshots at the game without being constructive could be a waste of time as it is no doubt being blocked. There are obviously some who are trying to be vindicative or scoring points which is their prerogative.

WTF? Surely that is against BigFooty's terms and rules? An ordinary user could cop a permanent ban for that?

So exhausted waiting for answers from Ross and co that I've just decided to load up a new "23 Play Now Games In a Row" mode.

So bland. No injuries, no suspensions. Ball flinging from end to end, looks nothing like footy.

Nice.

I ended up doing 2 seasons as Hawthorn, 1 as North Melbourne and 1 as Brisbane

I'd do another, but no motivation at present. Even if there was a patch released that promised management mode was updated/fixed/crash free - I doubt that I'd start a new management career up..... not that I'm protesting against the game, I just don't think I could do another 'full' season, that said I think I've played (and also spectated) a full season + finals worth of games in just play now contests. I may change my mind heading closer to finals (and just do 2.5 minute quarters). Just don't have the motivation to do so, I'm not even playing Cricket 22 (which I should being Ashes time and all).

Had a ripper match v Geelong earlier, let Geelong get an 8 goal lead. Pegged them back to lead in the first quarter. Let them get ahead again, chased the lead down etc etc. In the third quarter I thought I finally broke the game open, but they came back again. Ended up winning by 5 goals at the end of the final quarter.

Some of this dooms daying is ridiculous, if the AFL let WW and tru blu continue with the licence after AFL Challenge and Live 2, theyā€™ll let big ant continue.
Wish I could believe they'll get another chance, but Ross himself said the game needs to be profitable for them to continue. He also said pro team needed microtransactions for it to break even. I take that as the game has not broken even as the mode is non-existent, and I don't see a way in which they'll be profiting as much as initially anticipated given the complete drop off from consumers by this point. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see how they could've broken even based on what's been previously said by ross himself

I ended up doing 2 seasons as Hawthorn, 1 as North Melbourne and 1 as Brisbane

I'd do another, but no motivation at present. Even if there was a patch released that promised management mode was updated/fixed/crash free - I doubt that I'd start a new management career up..... not that I'm protesting against the game, I just don't think I could do another 'full' season, that said I think I've played (and also spectated) a full season + finals worth of games in just play now contests. I may change my mind heading closer to finals (and just do 2.5 minute quarters). Just don't have the motivation to do so, I'm not even playing Cricket 22 (which I should being Ashes time and all).

Had a ripper match v Geelong earlier, let Geelong get an 8 goal lead. Pegged them back to lead in the first quarter. Let them get ahead again, chased the lead down etc etc. In the third quarter I thought I finally broke the game open, but they came back again. Ended up winning by 5 goals at the end of the final quarter.
It's just such a rubbish game lol especially when you consider the price. We were cheated from the start. Can't think of an experience worse than the release of this game. Just shocking and probably will illegally download BA games from here on, if at all. No way am I ever paying the same amount of money given the dross we got dished up this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back