Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea what actually happened. I suppose no one has proof either way...
But is the alternative that, after 27 odd patches (if matching PS5) and the current state of the game, that the XBox version is still getting rejected by Microsoft?

I could imagine Microsoft rejecting the initial patch due to the ton of crashing issues.... but not rejecting where the game is at now.

Exactly. Thereā€™s no proof either way and weā€™ll likely never know the truth. Some clarity wouldā€™ve been helpful but clearly after 3 months thats not important to them. Hindsight is important and if they had their time again, Big Ant shouldā€™ve delayed the game for another 2 months or so and fixed it all up across the platforms and couldā€™ve prevented this sh*t show.

But is the alternative that, after 27 odd patches (if matching PS5) and the current state of the game, that the XBox version is still getting rejected by Microsoft?

I could imagine Microsoft rejecting the initial patch due to the ton of crashing issues.... but not rejecting where the game is at now.

Here is what most likely happened. Microsoft have a policy that multiplat games have to launch at the same time on Xbox, so you can't just release on Playstation early and later for Xbox, when they approve it. So when Bigant were rejected by Microsoft initially, they delayed the release for all consoles. However the next build (which is what launched on PC and PS) was also rejected. BigAnt decided to release on the other systems anyway, which meant the game now couldn't release on Xbox, even when it was patched up.

The way publishers get around Microsoft's rule and release multiplatform games later, is by adding content to the game and releasing an improved "Definitive" edition. In this case, by adding Ultimate Team. Which is why that hasn't released on other platforms and will be included with the "Definitive" edition for Xbox.

That edition will still need pass QA with Microsoft though.

Here is what most likely happened. Microsoft have a policy that multiplat games have to launch at the same time on Xbox, so you can't just release on Playstation early and later for Xbox, when they approve it. So when Bigant were rejected by Microsoft initially, they delayed the release for all consoles. However the next build (which is what launched on PC and PS) was also rejected. BigAnt decided to release on the other systems anyway, which meant the game now couldn't release on Xbox, even when it was patched up.

The way publishers get around Microsoft's rule and release multiplatform games later, is by adding content to the game and releasing an improved "Definitive" edition. In this case, by adding Ultimate Team. Which is why that hasn't released on other platforms and will be included with the "Definitive" edition for Xbox.

That edition will still need pass QA with Microsoft though.
BA's tweets on Pro Team haven't even mentioned Xbox, only that it is in testing for PS and PC.

You really think microsoft are holding some unknown game that will sell 100 copies at most now hostage?
I donā€™t think it has anything to do with the specific game but more to do with a studio/publisher releasing a game on ps/pc that was contractually supposed to release on all platforms at the same time.

Big Ant broke that contract (rightfully so imo) and therefore Microsoft are refusing to work with them.

I think this makes way more sense than almost any other explanation

Agreed. I don't buy into the Microsoft rejecting it theory either.

I wouldn't be suprised if something is just so broken on the xbox version they haven't been able to fix it and bring it up to the same level as pc/ps. However again that's just more baseless speculation.

Microsoft stuff doesn't have anything to do with rejecting the game or not being happy with it etc as far as I'm aware.

People giving Microsoft far too much credit thinking that they would investigate a game that much.

Agreed. I don't buy into the Microsoft rejecting it theory either.

I wouldn't be suprised if something is just so broken on the xbox version they haven't been able to fix it and bring it up to the same level as pc/ps. However again that's just more baseless speculation.

Nintendo pulled shenanigans (out of jealousy for being neglected by Big Ant with no release) and is the real reason why there is no Xbox version!!!

So with it now being August, how long until we officially call 99% of what was advertised (including a game in general for Xbox users) a blatant lie that was never actually coming?

So with it now being August, how long until we officially call 99% of what was advertised (including a game in general for Xbox users) a blatant lie that was never actually coming?

Wait until August 31st

ObeseMaleHoopoe-size_restricted.gif

Stat a 24 hour count down clock then as soon as it's September 1st

giphy.gif

Not sure why Overload Left or Overload Right is even a thing for kick outs. Seems quite useless as the numbers seem to spread evenly almost as soon as you play on or kick the ball.
This game reminds me of NBA Elite 11.

I recommend skipping to 2:20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about ?

Outside of pro-team, everything else that was advertised is in the game
ā€œDeepest management mode ever,ā€ AFL Premiership 2005 was more immersive.

ā€œDeepest management mode ever,ā€ AFL Premiership 2005 was more immersive.
That was never advertised, just something Ross said early in development and Iā€™m pretty sure the quote was ā€˜the deepest AFL game everā€™ or something like that, that could be interpreted in any number of ways.

Regardless, itā€™s a long way from that to ā€œ99% of what was advertised isnā€™t in the gameā€, if you look at what was actually officially advertised, pro team is really the only big thing missing and thatā€™s still on the way

Ok, Yeah... I can officially say that I would have preferred that WW continued. Didn't believe I'd be saying that but it's true at this point.

They at least tested their games and made sure they were at least ready to go despite how underwhelming they are.

Frankly, At this point. I'm just back in the position wishing for someone else to take over that I was in previously. Big Ant clearly don't have the leadership to pull off a great game. The devs might have the talent but as long as leadership is too busy taking trips around the world, mandating the use of an in-house engine that's not up to task and dropping all of these ideas on the team out of nowhere with no proper planning, They will never make a good, stable or even fun but clunky AFL game again.

Honestly, I'm hoping that the AFL are currently looking for an out clause with them right now. The money they're being paid for this s**t is not worth the damage to the brand in the Video Game landscape. The AFL need to end this licensing deal and take their sweet time finding another partner and making sure they're actually up to the task next time. They don't even have to be a big studio. Someone who can create a fun game that has customization options and a working management mode would be an improvement.

They wonder why their games struggle, This is why. They don't put in the investment, They don't put in the time to find the right people and then they're left scratching their heads as to why more people play stuff like FIFA or NBA 2K.
Would have preferred them somehow using AFL Live 2011 as the base game, or at least giving their new base game 2-3 years more development time. Obviously 23 was rushed out and is very unfinished.

That was never advertised, just something Ross said early in development and Iā€™m pretty sure the quote was ā€˜the deepest AFL game everā€™ or something like that, that could be interpreted in any number of ways.

Regardless, itā€™s a long way from that to ā€œ99% of what was advertised isnā€™t in the gameā€, if you look at what was actually officially advertised, pro team is really the only big thing missing and thatā€™s still on the way
If we really want to go back, just look at everything Ross said in the interview with Twistie at the launch event. While they obviously corrected themselves and said there wasnā€™t going to be a player career mode, Ross acted like it was already complete and Iā€™m pretty sure he was laying out detailed scenarios that could arise in his so called career modeā€¦

You would have thought being now ticking into August they would put out some kind of news for Xbox and Pro Team but then again honestly who will be keen for both its the end of the AFL season theres 4-6 weeks left for most teams in season and then rolls into their cricket 24 release.....

How many times do you need to be lied to normally before you stop giving the benefit of doubt?
Probably a lot, Iā€™m naturally patient person šŸ¤·šŸ» lol. But why does it matter? I literally said that Iā€™d love to see big ant provide some info any info and Iā€™m starting to become impatient and itā€™s getting to the point of becoming a misstep from big ant in this instance (Outside of the other things that have not gone right)
Considering Iā€™m supposed to be someone who is a big defender of big ant, I donā€™t see much defending in my post. In fact I agreed/understood everything that FearTheBeard13 said. I get the frustration and skepticism from people. I personally think big ant could and should have done better with the info around the Xbox release. I give them the benefit of the doubt but that doesnt mean Iā€™m fully happy about it or that I donā€™t think they could be doing better. I just choose not to get myself all worked up and crazy about it.

Last edited:
If we really want to go back, just look at everything Ross said in the interview with Twistie at the launch event. While they obviously corrected themselves and said there wasnā€™t going to be a player career mode, Ross acted like it was already complete and Iā€™m pretty sure he was laying out detailed scenarios that could arise in his so called career modeā€¦
Again none of that was officially advertised and we knew before release that player career wasnā€™t going to make the final game.

Iā€™d love to have a player career mode but we all knew before purchasing that it wasnā€™t going to be there.

So again, where is this 99% of the game that was advertised but isnā€™t there ?

Again none of that was officially advertised and we knew before release that player career wasnā€™t going to make the final game.

Iā€™d love to have a player career mode but we all knew before purchasing that it wasnā€™t going to be there.

99% is obviously over the top, but I think the point is that nearly every part of the game is half-baked. The only obvious exceptions are the graphics and the academy, both very superficial which offer no upside if the gameplay sucks.

Everything that is core to enjoying playing is half-baked or missing or bug-ridden - and none of that was advertised.

I think a statement from the CEO might as well be officially advertised.

Pro Team, half baked management mode... In terms of gameplay all we have that works properly is play now and season mode. Obviously 99% is an exaggeration but 50% of the game is just missing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back