Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, expecting players to play anything above 5 min quarters on any difficulty is overkill especially when the game is as cooked as it currently is.
I remember a trophy in the original AFL Live game that was to Win a Toyota AFL 2011 Premiership Season on Legend, 20 min quarters, extreme injuries, no simulating

That was brutal!

Agreed, expecting players to play anything above 5 min quarters on any difficulty is overkill especially when the game is as cooked as it currently is.
I dont mind the longer grinds if the games actually fun to play, half the time you are raging playing the game in its current state, feels like for every 2 steps forward they take 3 back.

Ladder leaders 15 minute quarter games needs to go. If the longer games are on hard difficulty sure, that I can understand. Easiest difficulty is just torturous and makes me want to put the game away. I get the grind, but it should still be motivating to play.

Ladder leaders 15 minute quarter games needs to go. If the longer games are on hard difficulty sure, that I can understand. Easiest difficulty is just torturous and makes me want to put the game away. I get the grind, but it should still be motivating to play.
Yeah, it's a bit boring...
It gives me a chance to knock off some of the high-stat objectives though... like 50 possession game, or 5-to-1 kick to handball ratio.

One thing I find annoying is having the need to balance the sprint button, lock on button, and tackle button whilst off-ball. I’d love to see a mechanic where holding the tackle button locks your player onto the ball carrier, and you can either continue to hold the button to allow for an “average” tackle to be performed, or you can try to perform a higher quality tackle by releasing the tackle button followed by a quick tap. The better the timing, the lower the chance of giving away a free and/or increased chance of winning a free. Risk/reward mechanic.

Down to 2.5 hours per fortnight of game time now (on pc at least).
Did a 20 minute quarter AI v AI match simulating Hawthorn and Richmond on the ps5.

Richmond had a 40 point lead in the second quarter. But it was all Hawthorn soon after, they made up the difference. Then it was a see-saw contest for a while (Hawks 10 points in front, Richmond catch up and then lead by 10 points themselves etc). Hawthorn then built up a lead, while Richmond challenged periodically.. Hawthorn eventually won by 33 points.

Oh and I just ran the pc version before - gotta love the ball physics :p

Everyone already over microtransaction mode??
Unless you pay to win you arent going to compete with all the nerds that have thrown money into it, it was always going to be like that but I'm not surprised that plenty of people have already lost interest.

Some of the modes are good concepts but in reality who with a life actually has time to complete the vast majority of content right now, I'm definitely not sitting through 15-20 min quarters.

Unless you pay to win you arent going to compete with all the nerds that have thrown money into it, it was always going to be like that but I'm not surprised that plenty of people have already lost interest.

Some of the modes are good concepts but in reality who with a life actually has time to complete the vast majority of content right now, I'm definitely not sitting through 15-20 min quarters.

There are no 20 minute quarters for ladder leaders, but that’s all good mate we all make mistakes from time to time

I would expect that the feedback of the Ladder Leader 10-15min quarter games will be taken on board for the Season 2 modes.
But for now... I use them to experiment with some gameplay parts that I barely use (like chip kick, tactics etc.) and to chip away at the Objectives that have specifics (like 100 tackles with players that wear a #1 guernsey).

I'm not surprised that plenty of people have already lost interest.
I don't think a lot have walked away from the game, it seems fairly active still.

Steam DB (although not truly representative) still shows at least double (80-90) the amount of players as it was pre-Pro Team (30-40). Up until a few days ago, that was at least triple (110-120) pre-Pro Team.

Saying that, Steam is only PC...and I have a feeling there's a lot more console players... given that's usually who I come up against. Premiership Challenge games for me are matching pretty quickly still.

I don't think a lot have walked away from the game, it seems fairly active still.

Steam DB (although not truly representative) still shows at least double (80-90) the amount of players as it was pre-Pro Team (30-40). Up until a few days ago, that was at least triple (110-120) pre-Pro Team.

Saying that, Steam is only PC...and I have a feeling there's a lot more console players... given that's usually who I come up against. Premiership Challenge games for me are matching pretty quickly still.
The numbers is an interesting topic.

You can argue the case for it being a really weird time to release the mode. Look they might have had to and had no say etc but with 5 or 6 weeks of footy left and your literally rolling smack bang in the middle of NFL NBA and FC games coming out all which have hugely popular play to win microtransaction modes. Will they lose that data base to those games or will it remain unchanged. I highly doubt it grows during that period even with the inclusions of legends.

I think they really had to get two things spot on and really nail them in a big way to gain any form of traction and bring people to the game. 1 is game play, it looks virtually untouched, game styles and tactics / interchange look almost useless and still a lot of bugs that can turn people off instantly.

2nd they had to nail the packs and modes and it looks like they failed. The cards at first look neat but when you see it’s the same style cards over and it’s it’s bland and boring and those modes look mind numbing boring and would make it a grind. Maybe it’s not possible but they could have had some other mini games like goal kicking etc as I think NbA and FC / FIFA did well by doing the shorter version games like Volta and 3 v 3 to break up just playing standard games over and over again.

I know down the track they will add legends and maybe different cards but I feel like if they ever wanted to get people back or onto it they had to go all in and all in hard at the start. They needed to hook people with the lure of getting all these different style cards like maybe there’s 4 or 5 different cards of Gawn or Pendlebury etc , there’s legends at the start and maybe they might have been more successful of getting traction with it outside of the small hardcore fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone already over microtransaction mode??

I haven’t touched it in 2 weeks now and probably won’t until some of the more glaring bugs are patched such as the teleport tackling, players standing around a grounded footy & the press/hold kicking glitch. Regardless of mode being played, its still at that level where it isn't all that fun to play in my opinion.

the press/hold kicking glitch
If you're talking about the Auto-lock on field kicking, then yeah... I agree that it's too strong. I do want SOME ability to kick to space, and appropriately use my power meter.

I think this is somewhat of a design decision... like in FIFA (EAFC) where passing is a simple X press, and it just easily goes to the teammate. But again, it's just too strong of a lock in AFL23.

The chip kick (L1+R1) appears to have a weaker auto-lock... so I use that to kick to space.... but it just lobs it up higher than what I'd want.

If you're talking about the Auto-lock on field kicking, then yeah... I agree that it's too strong. I do want SOME ability to kick to space, and appropriately use my power meter.

I think this is somewhat of a design decision... like in FIFA (EAFC) where passing is a simple X press, and it just easily goes to the teammate. But again, it's just too strong of a lock in AFL23.

The chip kick (L1+R1) appears to have a weaker auto-lock... so I use that to kick to space.... but it just lobs it up higher than what I'd want.

Yeah thats the bug I meant. I just think its weird that in a footy game you cant actually kick to space by design. Even the clearance kicks seem to always find their way to a contest in the vicinity and should we want to deliberately kick into an open patch of the oval, it never works 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah thats the bug I meant. I just think its weird that in a footy game you cant actually kick to space by design. Even the clearance kicks seem to always find their way to a contest in the vicinity and should we want to deliberately kick into an open patch of the oval, it never works 🤦🏻‍♂️
To add to that, I don’t think I’ve ever kicked a goal where the ball bounces in. A player always reaches the drop of the ball before it hits the ground.

A while back they were saying some big gameplay changes are coming that requires lots of testing first. Hopefully that still eventuates, because imo the gameplay still doesn’t justify a full blown Proteam mode. Really surprised so many people are pouring money into it.

Also it kinda feels like they will keep updating AFL23 instead of bringing out a new game. It’s taken the game so long to get decent would be frustrating for them to reset and for us to endure the cycle again.

Yeah, they've seemingly made a design choice to have power + direction metres only contribute to target selection - i.e., the kick locks onto a receiving player, which is determined by direction and kick power, rather than you having total control over where and how far the kick goes.

It addresses the issue in previous games of having trouble finding a target without using a heavy zoom downfield camera (which swings wildly in an intercept game), but it contributes to the overall feel of the game as being entirely on rails. Most of the time, it feels like nothing I do changes anything. On easier difficulties I could basically put the controller down and the game would still win for me. On hard difficulties, if my player is lower ranked than their opponent, they're losing every contest. On medium difficulties it's more balanced in that my button inputs feel purposeful and timings make a difference, but I still don't feel very in control and thus the game doesn't feel rewarding.

I think those that call the game "still broken" are wrong, but the game is held back by a combination of a bespoke engine that isn't suitable, and some questionable design choices that create new problems to fix old ones.

Didn't have to do him like that 😅
To be fair, last time I played NBA 2K the cheerleaders stayed on the court for the full game. Maybe Ross is striving for 2K level after all?!

Didn't have to do him like that 😅
:sweatsmile: Not a direct response, just coincidental timing I swear. Have had that one sitting on my phone for a few days and finally found the time to convert it and post it.

I haven’t touched it in 2 weeks now and probably won’t until some of the more glaring bugs are patched such as the teleport tackling, players standing around a grounded footy & the press/hold kicking glitch. Regardless of mode being played, its still at that level where it isn't all that fun to play in my opinion.
I had a guy teleport from full back to running into an open goal 😂, haven't played since was about to smash my controller, how the hell do things like that exist in a game thats over 12 months into a cycle..

I've heard of kicking it from Row B but this is a whole new level.

View attachment 2079105

This happened to my opposition twice the last game I played. Both marks 'on the goal line'. Which is another pet peeve, why not have some marks over the line and some on it etc. With or without the score review (with would be cool), the fact that they all stick right on the line is game breaking, add it to the list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back