Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
100% disagree on the cricket take. In cricket I feel it adds to the immersion.

100% agree with you on AFL game not needing it. Going to the arc footage kills my immersion watching in real life.

Fully aware that I’ve completely contradicted myself here but idk, maybe because it’s been around longer in cricket it feels more natural?
No this is a fair call, it also makes sense for a cricket game given you have to appeal to get LBW called, but yeah absolutely zero need in an AFL game other than maybe as an option to view a replay of a shot hitting the post or getting smothered on the line. As an actual feature where it leads to final decisions though it's not a good idea.

I realise I'm the minority, and that people want it to reflect the real thing, but I really didn't rate the addition of DRS to the cricket games. It's one of those things I'd have been happy to not have or to be an option to turn off across the board.

It just seemed so counter productive to program the umpire to make mistakes when theoretically in a game they could be perfect. The game knows immediately if something is out or not. Obviously it's all for the sake of realism, they program players to drop catches and the like too, but I just found the whole DRS thing to be a pain.

Don't think I'd want it in an AFL game at all. It became a tactic in real cricket as it was in the player's control so I understand why it got added. The players can't call for a review in AFL so at best it's just an annoying cut scene I'd be skipping every time.
I thought they nailed the DRS system in cricket, I have had plenty of LBW calls go for me and against me where you just think that is so out but you have a look and its just missing leg or just going over top. I even had a first ball of the game leg side strangle where I was batting as Tubby Taylor against Ambrose went to flick down fine leg missed it no big sound like you usually here they went up and yep small spike on snicko and spot on hot spot, I thought that was awesome and just adds another element to the game .

I have seen some blatant caught behinds given not out also off spinners in particular and if your out of reviews man it pisses you off but again I feel like that just adds more fun to the game especially if your playing against a friend.

We all know the ARC is bullshit anyway they got the Tom Lynch goal horribly wrong last year and I know some will argue against that but the umpire called it a goal so back the umpire in. Even the tiny snicks on the post just go with what the goal umpire says and even the touched ball more often than not you can't see the footage clear enough.
I think the discussion here isn't necessarily on whether the AI umpiring should let these things slide, the case against any sort of video review in an AFL video game is that it's entirely possible for the right call to be made every single time, if there's any collision with the ball and the goalpost it could instantly pop up as hitting the post. As such they don't need to spend the time working on coding the ARC.
Obviously we both agree on that, I'm more just trying to get through all the semantics.

I think the discussion here isn't necessarily on whether the AI umpiring should let these things slide, the case against any sort of video review in an AFL video game is that it's entirely possible for the right call to be made every single time, if there's any collision with the ball and the goalpost it could instantly pop up as hitting the post. As such they don't need to spend the time working on coding the ARC.
Obviously we both agree on that, I'm more just trying to get through all the semantics.
You're right on this one. Sure it adds to the immersion, but it's just a waste of time because it will never change the result (unless it's scripted to work in a teams favour etc.). It's like the goal line technology in FIFA, I've never once seen that actually reverse a decision. Just a pointless touch

I've always felt the concept of a review system in a game is bonkers. I'm no game dev but as far as I can come up with, the only options to include it are to (1) hard code in some leeway in the probability of a call being made that means bad calls are part of the game; (2) have a review system that never changes the outcome; or (3) fabricate review outcomes. I don't want any of those options in my sports game.

I get the immersion/realism argument, but I obviously know I'm not actually playing football. I'd love to not have to worry about shit umpiring.

I realise I'm the minority, and that people want it to reflect the real thing, but I really didn't rate the addition of DRS to the cricket games. It's one of those things I'd have been happy to not have or to be an option to turn off across the board.

It just seemed so counter productive to program the umpire to make mistakes when theoretically in a game they could be perfect. The game knows immediately if something is out or not. Obviously it's all for the sake of realism, they program players to drop catches and the like too, but I just found the whole DRS thing to be a pain.

Don't think I'd want it in an AFL game at all. It became a tactic in real cricket as it was in the player's control so I understand why it got added. The players can't call for a review in AFL so at best it's just an annoying cut scene I'd be skipping every time.

Agree with this 100%

100% disagree on the cricket take. In cricket I feel it adds to the immersion.

100% agree with you on AFL game not needing it. Going to the arc footage kills my immersion watching in real life.

Fully aware that I’ve completely contradicted myself here but idk, maybe because it’s been around longer in cricket it feels more natural?
Agree with this. DRS in cricket games is worth it because it is up to player judgment. In an AFL game would be useless imo as it has nothing to do with what the user thinks, all going to be down to the computer.

I've always felt the concept of a review system in a game is bonkers. I'm no game dev but as far as I can come up with, the only options to include it are to (1) hard code in some leeway in the probability of a call being made that means bad calls are part of the game; (2) have a review system that never changes the outcome; or (3) fabricate review outcomes. I don't want any of those options in my sports game.

I get the immersion/realism argument, but I obviously know I'm not actually playing football. I'd love to not have to worry about s**t umpiring.
If you have played the cricket game it actually adds to it and they did it spot on. It is all part of cricket tactics these days and it's not like they are programming the umpires to make shockers that just to implement this system.

With multiple different laws of the game regarding LBWS in particular the DRS in this game works well, considering all the different scenarios of has it pitched outside leg but then half a ball in line is in line etc it works really well for cricket. It doesn't work well for the AFL at all and it wouldn't work well at all in a video game of AFL.

I get the immersion/realism argument, but I obviously know I'm not actually playing football. I'd love to not have to worry about s**t umpiring.
To me it makes sense in Cricket and Tennis video games because the player actually challenges the call but for AFL it would just be an Ai third umpire going against the Ai field umpire.

If we ever got to a time where players/coaches could challenge a score in the AFL, then I’d like to see it in a video game.

I know they are different games and people can agree or disagree with the lack of game play , information , marketing etc but being a fan of the cricket games I am confident the footy will be a huge hit. They got so much right in cricket including the match types, sliders to make more realistic games depending on format, grounds, player models and the biggest hit is the community creations it is very good. I have even seen decent looking local Melbourne league teams etc with proper kits.

The biggest downsides are the lack of injuries playing a part like a NBA 2K or Fifa and the scripting of the games especially simulating can be annoying where your tail enders are either 4 out for ducks or 2 of them make 50 plus but they do get so much right.

I had a game last night on it for the first time in a while and it still is a blast for me.

To me it makes sense in Cricket and Tennis video games because the player actually challenges the call but for AFL it would just be an Ai third umpire going against the Ai field umpire.

If we ever got to a time where players/coaches could challenge a score in the AFL, then I’d like to see it in a video game.
I can't comment on cricket because I would rather stick forks in my eyes than watch/play it - but tennis also makes no sense to me. Why would I challenge a call that the game's collision detection algorithms have made, unless I know that the game has deliberately been coded in a way to make it less accurate?

I can't comment on cricket because I would rather stick forks in my eyes than watch/play it - but tennis also makes no sense to me. Why would I challenge a call that the game's collision detection algorithms have made, unless I know that the game has deliberately been coded in a way to make it less accurate?

It would be the same in cricket, sounds like for 50/50 calls they deliberately program it so that the umpire sometimes make mistakes, so that the player appeals the decision and the original decision is overturned if the random number generator decided that the umpire did indeed make a mistake.

If cricket gamers like it then I guess it should stay, but I find it weird to deliberately program something to make mistakes when you could easily make it 100% accurate all the time. Less frustration that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think score review would add a bit of immersion/drama to the game. Imagine kicking a winner, players are ready for the centre bounce then get called back for a review. And a zoomed replay with snicko shows the ball nicking the inside of the post on the way through.

I think score review would add a bit of immersion/drama to the game. Imagine kicking a winner, players are ready for the centre bounce then get called back for a review. And a zoomed replay shows the ball nicking the inside of the post on the way through with snicko.
Or imagine kicking the sealer in a final umpire calls it a goal , gets overturned without any evidence , then to have the ball ping the other way for Joe Daniher to somehow beat 16 players in the goal square to cost you a bloody final.... :p

Or imagine kicking the sealer in a final umpire calls it a goal , gets overturned without any evidence , then to have the ball ping the other way for Joe Daniher to somehow beat 16 players in the goal square to cost you a bloody final.... :p
yep that was really poor defence not worthy of a finals win. There was sufficient evidence to overturn which is why it was overturned😉

sorry if this question has been answered in the past, and if it hasn't I'm sure lots of people would love an answer to it. With crowds, can we expect a little more detail. Such as more noise on bigger games such as, grand finals, finals, ANZAC. Round 1 Games. Would love to hear a huge roar at the final siren of a grand final compared to other AFL video games in the past like evo. I think most people could agree going into detail with the crowd will bring more excitement to the game and the person playing it. Anyone who has an answer to this i love you.

yep that was really poor defence not worthy of a finals win. There was sufficient evidence to overturn which is why it was overturned😉
Zero evidence and yes I am still bleeding, bleeding more than Daniher somehow managed to kick a goal!

Wonder if players will celebrate too early then come crashing down to earth when they realise they hit the post or Aliir Aliir was there.

Zero evidence and yes I am still bleeding, bleeding more than Daniher somehow managed to kick a goal!
Bleeding more than Jack Riewoldt by the sounds of it. Daniher kicked the winning goal that Tom Lynch couldn’t.

If there was zero evidence it wouldn’t have been overturned. AFL23 would’ve overturned it. Your still in denial- it’s a coping mechanism, and that’s okay 👍

The limited number of Grand Final editions feature a scratch and sniff pad which sounds awesome. I still have the gran turismo one from the early 2000's

With regards to DRS and reviews, I think it is a large part of the actual sport and whilst none of us like it….that’s life. People on here are talking about “the colour of seats” or “will a grand stand be complete” as if it is life or death….however so is the interpretation of the rules. People want realistic game play but perfect umpiring? Doesn’t make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back