Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone expects 100% positive feedback. Least of all Ross and JNT. They're very receptive to feedback on PlanetCricket and the like. An echo chamber of positivity doesn't help anyone.

Also not trying to tell anyone how to post, but my only suggestion from working in a similar kind of industry is that your feedback is more likely to be dealt with if it's constructive and clear.

eg, Helpful: "The AI leads to the middle of the 50 every time instead of open space." "The game crashes when I try and add these 3 pavilions to a Stadium." "Stats aren't updating after year 1 of Management Mode".
Not helpful: "Game sux. AI is trash." "Stadium creator is broken." "Stats are ****ed."
Yeah 100%. We’re probably gonna end up needing a feedback template in here once the game launches. Facebook feedback won’t be eligible for them (“this looks like ps2”) so Bigfooty will be an important source. I’m sure most of the posters will know what to do but there’ll be an influx in here once the game is out and that’s when the terror will truly begin

can't remember if this has been brought up anywhere on this forum, but has anyone talked or has BA provided any information regarding the interchange mechanic in the game? I haven't played evo 2 in a long time (cause I personally think it is not great, the last time i played one game and just turned it off after a half) so I can't remember how they handled interchanging players (Was is automatic? was is manual?).

seeing so many interchanges happen through the duration of the game, I hope AFL23 have a similar system to what Fifa has had recently with the game and that is the 'quick subs', which you can trigger during quick break in plays and not have to pause go to the menu and action, cause the last thing I would want is a fully automated interchange system and end up having the shortest player in the team replace a key tall fwd or def or even worst my ruck due to dodgy AI.

What other interchange and substitute gameplay mechanics do others want to see implemented into AFL23?
I really rate this idea

I really rate this idea
like I'm pretty sure auto interchange will be an option - but there certainly has to be a manual option that doesn't require a pause in the game (ill lose my mind), allows you to set up which player can change for which player and a quick and seamless way to do it and the only one i really rate is the fifa system. Imagie final 2 minutes and auto interchange takes out your key forward or on baller...........god have mercy on my controller if that shit happens

like I'm pretty sure auto interchange will be an option - but there certainly has to be a manual option that doesn't require a pause in the game (ill lose my mind), allows you to set up which player can change for which player and a quick and seamless way to do it and the only one i really rate is the fifa system. Imagie final 2 minutes and auto interchange takes out your key forward or on baller...........god have mercy on my controller if that s**t happens
Yep agreed, would be so good if a fatigued player pops up on bottom right of the screen, then you press L2 to see the suggested interchange player then scroll to other players on the bench or confirm the quick sub.

For example;
1. Miers pops up as fatigued,
2. press L2 to see suggested interchange player, which could be say B.Close
3. You have the choice to select x to confirm B.Close, OR scroll through (using arrows) the 3 other quick options- J.Bews, P.Dangerfield, M.Holmes.
4. Confirm change.

Then from say the third quarter the tactical sub reminder (B.Parfitt) would start popping up to replace player with most fatigue.

Last edited:
Yep agreed, would be so good if a fatigued player pops up on bottom right of the screen, then you press L2 to start a quick sub.
yep that should be one trigger, would also love to see options to set which player can change for who depending on the position they play on the ground

like I'm pretty sure auto interchange will be an option - but there certainly has to be a manual option that doesn't require a pause in the game (ill lose my mind), allows you to set up which player can change for which player and a quick and seamless way to do it and the only one i really rate is the fifa system. Imagie final 2 minutes and auto interchange takes out your key forward or on baller...........god have mercy on my controller if that s**t happens
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s similar to what was in Live 1, from memory that game used the d-pad to facilitate quick interchanges without needing to pause.

Digital stores are rough - I remember just before AFL Evolution 2 was taken down, it went on sale for like $35 for 2 weeks, then back up to $99 for a while before disappearing. Biggest reason I do not want gaming to go 100% digital - they have no competition and you're forced to pay their blown out prices until they decide to put the game on sale (if they do).

Will be a sad day when everything is digital.

They’ll be doing every AFL and AFLW ground so I’m assuming the hangar will be in. Whatever overlap that has with state leagues is probably all we’ll get for them.
The Hangar has only been used for pre-season, to complicate matters (which is still more than what Windy Hill currently gets in the way of AFL/W matches).

Any idea if the game has score review
The review on cricket 22 is great, umpires making great calls and some shockers which is refreshing. Obviously footy reviews are very different. I’d rather a lot of other features ahead on a ARC system on this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's ask the important questions. Will a tin of milo be included as a preorder bonus?

I know you're joking, but hopes are fading for a standalone academy on Steam, and that would have been a nice preoder bonus, early access to one.

Speaking of which, if there is no standalone academy like there is for the cricket games (at first Ross went with an outright no, then changed that to a maybe, we'll see, but hasn't mentioned it since), how much user-created stuff do people expect to see? Footy is already a much more niche sport than cricket (globally), and I'm assuming most people will buy the PlayStation version of the game where it's much harder to create stuff than on PC.

I know there will be people here who buy two (or more!) copies of the game, but they're going to be a tiny minority.

Last edited:
Any chance of the academy still being released on Steam before the full game comes out?? Would love to go through squads, especially get to work in adding real life state league players into the teams

I know you're joking, but hopes are fading for a standalone academy on Steam, and that would have been a nice preoder bonus, early access to one.

Speaking of which, if there is no standalone academy like there is for the cricket games (at first Ross went with an outright no, then changed that to a maybe, we'll see, but hasn't mentioned it since), how much user-created stuff do people expect to see? Footy is already a much more niche sport than cricket (globally), and I'm assuming most people will buy the PlayStation version of the game where it's much harder to create stuff than on PC.

I know there will be people here who buy two (or more!) copies of the game, but they're going to be a tiny minority.
Completely forgot about the academy and you make a good point - fingers crossed we get something on PC that us poor campaigners can use to design for our PS5 copies - or the PS5 version at least has mouse and keyboard support.

The review on cricket 22 is great, umpires making great calls and some shockers which is refreshing. Obviously footy reviews are very different. I’d rather a lot of other features ahead on a ARC system on this game.

I realise I'm the minority, and that people want it to reflect the real thing, but I really didn't rate the addition of DRS to the cricket games. It's one of those things I'd have been happy to not have or to be an option to turn off across the board.

It just seemed so counter productive to program the umpire to make mistakes when theoretically in a game they could be perfect. The game knows immediately if something is out or not. Obviously it's all for the sake of realism, they program players to drop catches and the like too, but I just found the whole DRS thing to be a pain.

Don't think I'd want it in an AFL game at all. It became a tactic in real cricket as it was in the player's control so I understand why it got added. The players can't call for a review in AFL so at best it's just an annoying cut scene I'd be skipping every time.

Last edited:
I realise I'm the minority, and that people want it to reflect the real thing, but I really didn't rate the addition of DRS to the cricket games. It's one of those things I'd have been happy to not have or to be an option to turn off across the board.

It just seemed so counter productive to program the umpire to make mistakes when theoretically in a game they could be perfect. The game knows immediately if something is out or not. Obviously it's all for the sake of realism, they program players to drop catches and the like too, but I just found the whole DRS thing to be a pain.

Don't think I'd want it in an AFL game at all. It became a tactic in real cricket as it was in the player's control so I understand why it got added. The players can't call for a review in AFL so at best it's just an annoying cut scene I'd be skipping every time.
Spot on, it would serve no purpose at all. They are painful enough in a real game.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It just seemed so counter productive to program the umpire to make mistakes when theoretically in a game they could be perfect. The game knows immediately if something is out or not.

100% disagree on the cricket take. In cricket I feel it adds to the immersion.

100% agree with you on AFL game not needing it. Going to the arc footage kills my immersion watching in real life.

Fully aware that I’ve completely contradicted myself here but idk, maybe because it’s been around longer in cricket it feels more natural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back