Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEN CAN I PLAY? READ BELOW:
  • PlayStation (Physical): Thursday 4 May
  • PlayStation (Digital): 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May
  • Steam: Currently 8:01am AEST Thursday 4 May, may be moved to 12:01am AEST
  • Xbox (Digital or Physical): TO BE CONFIRMED, unlikely to be 4 May

Those that pre-ordered PS versions will be able to play on Thursday, disks will have already been mailed by retailers, they will also be available in-store.

Steam will also be available Thursday.

Stating the obvious, we are still having issues with XBox.

Seriously, anyone that looks hard knows there’s issues - why do you think there are so many exclusives for a particular platform that are not marked as exclusive, but are only on that platform.

If I took that road, life would have been a lot easier.

Xbox digital and retail will release at the same time - that is not a decision we get to make.

It applies now and I will no doubt pay a price.

Re: commentary team
Hamish is still there, Daisy didn't make it into the final version of the game.

We added Gary and increased the workload of Harf.

Re: game availability/release dates
I can never give 100% guarantee about anything in the future, but as it stands today, the statement I am prepared to make it that all stock that is at retailers on 4 May will be available for sale.

As to the amount that will be there for sale, and whether it is enough, that is a question I cannot answer.

It will be made digitally available on the various platform holder electronic stores.

Clarifying, the game will not release prior to 4 May 2023.

I am vague as there is one platform that has had sufficient stock at retailers and the other has not, and I cannot name them (contractual reasons).

The game will not be further delayed because of the numbers of units in stock.

Re: Steam listing
I've already put in a request for the screenshots to be replaced with current ones, they'll probably only be there for a day.

As much as the feedback has generally been positive, these are old, meant to be placeholder only and were not meant to go live.

Re: playing lists
All playing lists are accurate for the 2023 season.

Re: content creator footage
This is all prior to day one patch (as some have noted updates like numbers etc are apparent)

Re: Career mode
A head's up on Career mode.

At the AFL 23 Launch night I mentioned the non-team based Individual Career Mode in an interview with Dean (Twistie3). As alluded to at that same event, we were working with the AFL and AFLPA to include as many past legends in the game as possible.

The great news is that we have received approval for far more AFL legends than were previously envisaged, but this has meant that we had to make the tough decision to divert resources away from the Individual Career mode development. The individual Career Mode function will not make it into AFL 23, Career Mode will be entirely team based. I expect this mode to be include in future iterations of the game.

Re: microtransactions
You do not have to make purchases, things can be earned.

Re: general development
So fundamentally flawed, in so many ways, it’s bananas.

We are doing AFL as it’s a passion project, without us doing it there would not be one being made.

So much more upside with making games that are played internationally, let alone one that will not even be played in every state in this country.

Last edited:
I'll be buying it and won't hold back if it's a negative experience. Just the same as I won't hold back if its enjoyable.

I'll be a bit disappointed if it's just LIVE style gameplay with 2022/2023 fresh paint (graphics etc).

I can live with "broken" AI if it's patched after launch!
And that’s exactly how it should be too. We need to be critical in this thread if it is a negative experience so JNT and Ross get the feedback and patch improvements. As much as I’m pro-BA in this thread, it would be a huge disappointment if people weren’t bringing up bugs etc. and being critical of the game once it’s out.

The new transfer market is pretty sick. Labeled as the “Auction House”

Attachments

• 3B6F3736-C74C-4129-AFA8-91BA6F0041F5.jpeg
    3B6F3736-C74C-4129-AFA8-91BA6F0041F5.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 313

I'll be buying it and won't hold back if it's a negative experience. Just the same as I won't hold back if its enjoyable.

I'll be a bit disappointed if it's just LIVE style gameplay with 2022/2023 fresh paint (graphics etc).

I can live with "broken" AI if it's patched after launch!
The tactics, player attributes, graphics and each team player different (probably tactics) is the drawing card for me.
Without seeing hd gameplay and only a old version of it it's hard to say if they did any of them well.
From the gameplay we did see I'm scared it'll be a 1v1 fest like live 1.
I liked in evo 2 how there was multiple in contests like in irl

And that’s exactly how it should be too. We need to be critical in this thread if it is a negative experience so JNT and Ross get the feedback and patch improvements. As much as I’m pro-BA in this thread, it would be a huge disappointment if people weren’t bringing up bugs etc. and being critical of the game once it’s out.

"Hawthorn's AI should be unbeatable, FIX IT" :p

Also with nearly 5x the budget of any other bigant game we'll need to be critical if they don't start off well.
Big ants probably our last hope for a consistent afl game

Hi all,

This thread is becoming really, really difficult to manage. Over the last ten pages we have actioned at least five reports, deleted or edited between 20-30 posts, and handed out several thread bans and official warnings/infractions. It is becoming ridiculous.

We are also fielding a great deal of moderator criticism. It might help you to know that those who support BA are criticising us for allowing complaining about the game, and those that are criticising BA are having a go at us for protecting them. Go figure.

Let me be really clear: we are not going to stop optimists from being positive, nor are we going to stop those who are critical of what they've seen so far from posting complaints. Both are entirely justified and reasonable opinions that are worthy of being shared, no matter what you think about them.

Things that aren't tolerated:
  • Personal attacks against others (yes, this includes the passive-aggressive sniping we've deleted umpteen times every day)
  • Repetitive posts that serve only to bait others
  • Repeated complaining about what other people are posting
  • Posting videos from "that" YouTuber (you know the one) just to poke fun at them
  • Public mod criticism (as with anything on BF - if you have an issue, PM us
We are simply at the point where we cannot keep this thread going the way it is. This means that we are going to be very liberal with the thread ban function. If you're a repeat offender of any of the above, we'll see you in a week.

To everyone else: please help us by reporting posts that you think contravene this, and try to keep it civil. We're all eagerly awaiting seeing more of the game, whether we're ambivalent, unsure, or certain it's going to be great. Just chill out a bit and try to enjoy the thread.

Thanks.
IMG_6856.jpg

Less than 2 weeks to go now (if all goes well).

Discussion point - out of interest, who in this thread has/hasn't pre-ordered? Probably the only game I've preordered in years which is odd because I'm usually firmly in the "I need to see gameplay/know I'm not getting ripped" (thanks Cyberpunk) camp
I've pre-ordered the PS5 version. Thought about PS4 with free upgrade but didn't know if save progression would transfer. Literally the only reason I'd have got the PS4 one would be so I can remote play on my Vita. But the phone app and a controller does just as good a job these days if not better.

First game I've pre-ordered in years too. Fallen Order I think was the last.

Never in doubt though. I've been wanting this for 12 years. Game could release without a screenshot or a second of gameplay and with plain paper packaging and I'd still be there for it on day 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you choose to bump the servers ban your console for 3 weeks.
one of my favourite games ever was wayne gretzky's on the N64, the checking in that game was so well done, i would love it if it was available in AFL23 though I understand it would be a bit "arcade" for some.

one of my favourite games ever was wayne gretzky's on the N64, the checking in that game was so well done, i would love it if it was available in AFL23 though I understand it would be a bit "arcade" for some.

If we're talking old school game 'mechanics' in current sports games, Fifa '96 had a cheat code where you could do endless tackles/fouls without penalty. Of course the AFL would never allow this in a video game wanting a clean image... but it sure made Fifa '96 fun to play :p

If we're talking old school game 'mechanics' in current sports games, Fifa '96 had a cheat code where you could do endless tackles/fouls without penalty. Of course the AFL would never allow this in a video game wanting a clean image... but it sure made Fifa '96 fun to play :p
NBA Live 95 could allow you the same - you just had Shaq running through people all game.

Would be cool to have an option to turn off certain rules. Why yes, I do just want to randomly tackle the opposition full forward while the ball is coming towards him without penalty.

AFL games always been a bit arbitrary with free kicks. Like in FIFA it's pretty clear when you bring someone down it's gonna be a penalty, AFL it's like press tackle button and it's a roll of the random number generator whether it's a ball up, holding the ball, high free kick or whatever.

But I guess that's what makes it realistic :(

Agree 100% with that second paragraph. Weird he doesn't just let his social media team (person?) deal with us plebs like most CEOs not named Elon.

Saying that I take comfort in the fact that JNT BA has always been receptive to feedback, and some of that feedback has led to improvements to the game. Tough gig with the restrictions placed on him but he handles it all well. He might throw a few keyboards around the office but no dummies have been spat on here 😊
This
I got huge respect for JNT BA and the way he conducts himself
Always very professional

I don't think anyone expects 100% positive feedback. Least of all Ross and JNT. They're very receptive to feedback on PlanetCricket and the like. An echo chamber of positivity doesn't help anyone.

Also not trying to tell anyone how to post, but my only suggestion from working in a similar kind of industry is that your feedback is more likely to be dealt with if it's constructive and clear.

eg, Helpful: "The AI leads to the middle of the 50 every time instead of open space." "The game crashes when I try and add these 3 pavilions to a Stadium." "Stats aren't updating after year 1 of Management Mode".
Not helpful: "Game sux. AI is trash." "Stadium creator is broken." "Stats are ****ed."

Dare say it’ll be windy hill.
Although vfl aren’t playing there this year , it’s only for this season.
They’ll be doing every AFL and AFLW ground so I’m assuming the hangar will be in. Whatever overlap that has with state leagues is probably all we’ll get for them.

can't remember if this has been brought up anywhere on this forum, but has anyone talked or has BA provided any information regarding the interchange mechanic in the game? I haven't played evo 2 in a long time (cause I personally think it is not great, the last time i played one game and just turned it off after a half) so I can't remember how they handled interchanging players (Was is automatic? was is manual?).

seeing so many interchanges happen through the duration of the game, I hope AFL23 have a similar system to what Fifa has had recently with the game and that is the 'quick subs', which you can trigger during quick break in plays and not have to pause go to the menu and action, cause the last thing I would want is a fully automated interchange system and end up having the shortest player in the team replace a key tall fwd or def or even worst my ruck due to dodgy AI.

What other interchange and substitute gameplay mechanics do others want to see implemented into AFL23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back