AFL 360

Remove this Banner Ad

When I heard the news during the day I had assumed it was a somewhat mutual decision, but after watching tonights show it certainly seems that fox has gotten rid of Robbo. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I enjoyed the chemistry between the two of them, and think AFL360 will be much less watchable without Robbo.
They were a point of difference compared to all the other programming.

Filling that role with another ex-player is just not going to feel any different than say watching the pre-match coverage on a Friday night.

The greatest trait of Robbo was that even if he was frustrated with aspects of the league/rules, he still loved and was upbeat about the sport of Aussie Rules. In that sense, he'll be hard to replace.

Yeah, a strange finish. I thought Garry Lyon's opening words on the transfer to "On the couch" were a bit telling also, where he said Gerard was a consummate professional and full of class (or something like that). Seemed to indicate he was maybe unhappy with Robbo not turning up for the final show, and was giving Gerard kudos for praising Robbo in his last words of the show.

When I heard the news during the day I had assumed it was a somewhat mutual decision, but after watching tonights show it certainly seems that fox has gotten rid of Robbo. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but I enjoyed the chemistry between the two of them, and think AFL360 will be much less watchable without Robbo.
Whispers a plenty that after receiving a monster offer from 7, Whateley basically told Fox that it's Robbo or him, not both.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Important to note Garry hates Robbo - any opportunity to stick the knife in he's gonna take.
I think it was during the Fasolo mental health saga Lyon absolutely tore Robbo to shreds.

Whispers a plenty that after receiving a monster offer from 7, Whateley basically told Fox that it's Robbo or him, not both.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Listening to that clip above, can see this. No mention of Gerard from Robbo, and saying that not everyone was on his side. Given Gerards professionalism, can see him being increasingly annoyed at Robbo’s absences (even if they are health related and understandable).

Would be frustrating turning up to work and not knowing whether your on air partner will be there or not.

They should have sacked the producers of AFL360 first and IMHO, a long time ago.

To let a much-watch show deteriorate into a boring same-old-same-old, week in week out Coaches Night, Players Night, Legends Night - they're the people who should have been shown the door before any announcer.

Robbo had his faults, but to his credit, he wasn't a boring kiss-ar*e like his co-host, nor was it his responsibility that the program's format became so stale.

But then goes on to say he has been offered other roles with Fox, so he hasn't been sacked, just dropped from 360.
They talk about how he was 'sacked' in the clip 😭

Sometimes network execs will offer you bit part roles hoping you'll find something else and they don't have to pay you out

Listening to that clip above, can see this. No mention of Gerard from Robbo, and saying that not everyone was on his side. Given Gerards professionalism, can see him being increasingly annoyed at Robbo’s absences (even if they are health related and understandable).

Would be frustrating turning up to work and not knowing whether your on air partner will be there or not.
I think this is the correct take.

Robbo missed at least 4 weeks of shows each year. He also did no prep work like production meetings etc... But I think that was the charm of the show.

If they replace him with Jordan Lewis or Kath it will be the start of the end of 360

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 360

Remove this Banner Ad

Back