AFL Cairns - 2011 Season Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Crocs v Hawks will be a close one, with the winner likely to go into firm flag favouritism. It's the wrong end of the season to be talking about injuries and potential improvements. An injury now is not something which could be come back from easily.

Souths over the Lions in a null rubber, so wouldn't be surprised if the Lions take it right up to Souths. Chance of Souths dropping a few players back for 2s finals qualifications, so the senior game will probably be a close one but still expect Souths to get up.

Norths v Centrals is last chance for Norths, but I think Centrals will be able to put this one away and then really start planning for the finals.

UTM, I wasn't saying that was the minimum standard, merely that there was a lot of talk going on when the umpiring standard was quite good in my opinion.

TBH, I thought the umpiring would be a lot worse than it is, there are plenty of people who move up here to play football, but few who would move up here to umpire it.

One league which springs to mind is the MPNFL in Victoria where the standard of play is quite high, while umpiring levels are pretty poor and usually genuinely biased.

People complain about umpires like they complain about taxes, they know that there is a benefit to them but will always hit the roof when they perceive something to be unfair on themselves. Umpires don't deliberately set out to influence games or persecute people or teams.

There are far too many people happy to sit outside the fence and hurl abuse and far too few willing to get out there and give it a go. Umpire one or two junior games and see how difficult it can be.

Re: AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

I personally think the umpires are passable... And they should get some slack... However they need 2 use a bit more discretion b4 giving away 50s they give them away 4 near nothing and a lot of the time with little or no warning..

In terms of 50's, watched a player from another team abuse an umpire the entire distance of the 50 metres, but nothing was done apart from the initial 50. I won't name the team because the issue is the umpire not the player's team.

Consistancy is what we want from the umpires. Call it shit both ways and we can all feel they didn't have an influence on the game.

Too many games this year, there seems to be a plethora of free kicks early in the game one way, then when the game is over by half/three quarter time, the even uppers come... so they can say...oh the free kicks were even...

I've umpired a few junior games at under 18 level and found it very easy. It's all right there in front of you, I don't get how you could find it tough. The answer is simple, you MUST have played before you can umpire properly. Having been in every situation as a player gives you the knowledge and the confidence to call any call needed. A common school of thought is that if you didn't notice the umpire then they have done well. This is something I whole heartedly believe. Unfortunately there are a few 'showman' that feel they have every right to be noticed as much as the players That's a very wrong way to teach any umpire.

Kiss of death this week as follows -

Hawks to topple the Crocs
Cutters to smash the Lions
Norths to upset Centrals

On another note, still undecided on whether to go to the show. Was thinking of stuffing my face full of Dagwood Dogs and Waffles and then going on the Gravitron with the kids. I wonder how popular I'd be???

Hawks
Souths
Norths to win by a goal at home

Hawks are packing to many guns this season.. there number of qaulity players far out way the crocs..The Crocs have'nt even looked like getting anywhere near them in there two previous encounters this season up at the croc pit.. the hawks are doing it on the bit at the moment and there players know it.. they are playing with a lot of confidence and arrogance

Hawks are packing to many guns this season.. there number of qaulity players far out way the crocs..The Crocs have'nt even looked like getting anywhere near them in there two previous encounters this season up at the croc pit.. the hawks are doing it on the bit at the moment and there players know it.. they are playing with a lot of confidence and arrogance

Playing with confidence and arrogance has got teams in trouble in the past. Just ask Souths and Port.

As per the fish & chip wrapper today, it must have cost the Bulldogs a small arm & leg, let alone all the conning of the sponsors to bring these players up from down south,

I wonder why????

why did the players in question not try to be part of a triple premiership ?????
(I did in my junior days & was trilled by wins)

unless the COIN was too great to pass up. Then that is the case of money speaking again, mmmmmmm

So which means then has T. Lane been authorized to try to BUY a G.F , mmmmm

Sherlock Holmes where are you, we have a mystery

This is exactly what needs to be regulated. How can you go and buy 5 players well over half way through the season to try and buy a premiership? I don't believe it will work in their case but what about the 5 blokes that spent the first 14 rounds as senior footballers? Maybe one is fine but 5 is just going against everything a football season is all about.

I agree it's not fair especially with no other clubs paying players the league needs 2 regulate this

I agree it's not fair especially with no other clubs paying players the league needs 2 regulate this

What do they say about sarcasm being the lowest form wit? They're spot on showntell.

It's got nothing to do with paying anybody, its to do with recruting players over half way through a season. How they get them there is beside the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a reference 2 what tamba said.. Sarcasm being the lowest form of wit it should've been pretty clear what I meant

As per the fish & chip wrapper today, it must have cost the Bulldogs a small arm & leg, let alone all the conning of the sponsors to bring these players up from down south,

I wonder why????

why did the players in question not try to be part of a triple premiership ?????
(I did in my junior days & was trilled by wins)

unless the COIN was too great to pass up. Then that is the case of money speaking again, mmmmmmm

So which means then has T. Lane been authorized to try to BUY a G.F , mmmmm

Sherlock Holmes where are you, we have a mystery

My mail was that they simply couldn't handle the cold South Australian winter and left on good terms with the club. Its obviously costing Centrals something but I don't think they will be on match payments. Maybe travel costs and accomodation?? Either way, personally I don't think these blokes will improve Centrals enough to challenge the top 3, will make it hard for us to claim 4th though:thumbsdown:

My mail was that they simply couldn't handle the cold South Australian winter and left on good terms with the club. Its obviously costing Centrals something but I don't think they will be on match payments. Maybe travel costs and accomodation?? Either way, personally I don't think these blokes will improve Centrals enough to challenge the top 3, will make it hard for us to claim 4th though:thumbsdown:

couldn't handle the cold South Australian winter

MMMMMM :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

they have been there at least 2 years
and can't stand the cold winter ???????

I was raised there & learnt my trade,

give my right foot a pull ,

LOL

Thought i would head down to the home of Cairns Footy to watch the top of the table clash today. It sure was a tale of 2 halves with Port dominating the first half making Hawks looking second rate (some poor kicking for goal didn't help Hawks) then the second half saw Hawks pile on 7 or 8 with the wind and with a big enough lead at 3/4 time held on to win by 14pts. Not the greatest game to watch with neither forward line looking overly dangerous but Hawks with more options around goals maybe proving the difference.
In the 2's Port easily won. A 6 goals to nothing first 1/4 enough to keep a spirited Hawks at bay.

Thought i would head down to the home of Cairns Footy to watch the top of the table clash today. It sure was a tale of 2 halves with Port dominating the first half making Hawks looking second rate (some poor kicking for goal didn't help Hawks) then the second half saw Hawks pile on 7 or 8 with the wind and with a big enough lead at 3/4 time held on to win by 14pts. Not the greatest game to watch with neither forward line looking overly dangerous but Hawks with more options around goals maybe proving the difference.
In the 2's Port easily won. A 6 goals to nothing first 1/4 enough to keep a spirited Hawks at bay.

I saw a great game of footy, a good contest that saw both teams fight back at different stages. Hawks kicked 2.8 to half time with 3 or 4 hitting the post. A 9 goal third term broke ports spirit. But port scored 2 in a row in the last and began a tough fight back but hawks did enough to hold them off. Terrific game, incredibly bad umpiring!

I saw a great game of footy, a good contest that saw both teams fight back at different stages. Hawks kicked 2.8 to half time with 3 or 4 hitting the post. A 9 goal third term broke ports spirit. But port scored 2 in a row in the last and began a tough fight back but hawks did enough to hold them off. Terrific game, incredibly bad umpiring!
Norths out of finals race now, losing to dogs by about 40 points, despite being only 2 goals down at 3q time. Dogs always had their nose in front and were too good. Whether they have improved enough to challenge top 3 i don't know...
Sounds like a good game at Cazalys, Port would have to be pretty happy to know they can get close at the ground where the real stuff is played, especially since they had a few not playing. How close to full strength were Hawks?

Norths out of finals race now, losing to dogs by about 40 points, despite being only 2 goals down at 3q time. Dogs always had their nose in front and were too good. Whether they have improved enough to challenge top 3 i don't know...
Sounds like a good game at Cazalys, Port would have to be pretty happy to know they can get close at the ground where the real stuff is played, especially since they had a few not playing. How close to full strength were Hawks?

Like Port we were half dozen or so off a full team, but I think that's pretty much normal for all sides at the minute. We copped a couple of injuries to key players during the game and kept them off rather thank risk them. Take nothing away from Port though, they threw everything at us and with their tails up are tough to chase down.

Umpiring wasn't that bad. Yes there were a couple of puzzlers but overall were ok i thought

Well my learned ShowNtell, it just goes to show how much you know about the teams in this league. Last season the "precious" Bulldogs were beaten by the 2010 Wooden Spooners in their last fixture game. Both Souths and Norths have nothing to lose. Both clubs are known historically for knocking off teams in the top 4 at the business end of the season

I clearly know nothing... Last season was last season... Maybe watch some recent games so u can make an articulate comment... But of course it's only because of their new recruits... Hawks must be favorites after their win on the weekend.. Interesting of saints can put something together in the next few weeks because they seem 2 b struggling atm.. Hope ur stirrups are tight teamwork because it's a long fall from ur high horse

I clearly know nothing... Last season was last season... Maybe watch some recent games so u can make an articulate comment... But of course it's only because of their new recruits... Hawks must be favorites after their win on the weekend.. Interesting of saints can put something together in the next few weeks because they seem 2 b struggling atm.. Hope ur stirrups are tight teamwork because it's a long fall from ur high horse

I'm not sure what I've said to make you think I'm on any kind of high horse showntell, but I'll ride with my heels down just to be sure!

Well my tips were almost right this week. I heard Norths took it right up to Centrals. I was told that Port stopped playing, were there own worst enemy and lost interest. As for the Cutters V Lions game, by half time I was bored and went in and sat at the bar occasionally looking out to check the score. Clearly, the poor Lions were down in numbers and at least half a dozen played two games of footy. I can at least say I know how the Lions fans feel. It was gut wrenching watching the Cutters go through it last year. I will also go on the record to say "the umpiring was of a higher standard than normal". I thought the two field umpires did well and young Mr Burke probably had his best game in the last 3 years. Ok, you can all pick yourselves up off the floor now. The Cutters Ressies are looking good and I'll go out on a limb and will say that I expect they'll be in the grand final.

Well clearly, you don't know how to spell either. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back