AFL Cairns - 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah well in SA $250 a game isnt anything special. For a an A3 19 yo, its a gamble. Mind you in SA A1 is a bloody good standard, A2 is full on as they are the clubs trying to get into A1, and A3 is not too shabby either. Hell I remember blokes being on over $400 a game in A3 for Glandore and they were not orphans.

Then you head out to the country, Barossa & Light, Riverland, Great Southern League, they all paid good dollars.

So dont be too suprised that they want $250 a game to move to the other side of the country. There is not many places in Australia that are any further away from Adelaide than Cairns

There is wispers in the air that a mountain named cameron Bartlett is wearing a hawks guernsey this year is this true?
If so what a pick up with the on ballers Hawks have and now a big foreward to replace Gabby. I'll be down the cazaly bar tonight to see for myself I think.

Did you see him there Jack??

I also heard that the Hawks have an Irishman in the reserves job! Yep they sure have come along way since Sean Wight and big Jim Stynes sailed across from Eire.

I am pretty surprised that Chris Adams has played for East Fremantle and Port Melbourne. He has played up in Darwin for a couple of years now and has already been at four different clubs up here and has struggled to play consistent senior football. However with that being said, he has had a reasonable year at Nightcliff this season.

There is wispers in the air that a mountain named cameron Bartlett is wearing a hawks guernsey this year is this true?
If so what a pick up with the on ballers Hawks have and now a big foreward to replace Gabby. I'll be down the cazaly bar tonight to see for myself I think.
Heard around the traps today: Elhich and Alick re-signed at Hawks, Bartlett signed for Centrals and Hawks Gavin Miller out to Centrals as well.

Heard around the traps today: Elhich and Alick re-signed at Hawks, Bartlett signed for Centrals and Hawks Gavin Miller out to Centrals as well.

You heard close Watsons. Ehlich was always a Hawk, Alick has been told it up to him and stayed, and yes Miller was let go....

The Brisbane Lions had good Full forwards and they turned to shit. Why do people judge a teams chances on just the 1 or 2 guys and you still have to get it to the forward. Jack Black you said with the on ballers Hawks have ........... Sorry but I'm not sure who you would be referring to. Apart from the Ruck man they have only had old men or little kids and guys playing with career ending injuries on the ball. Hawks have never been able to get large turnovers in players and that's exactly what they need. not the 3 or 4 only half decent guys that come in through out the year and never stick around. I don't mean to bag so hard on them they are one of the best junior developing clubs filled with locals in cairns. So I do wish them all the luck for the year. But it had to be said its the truth.

The Brisbane Lions had good Full forwards and they turned to shit. Why do people judge a teams chances on just the 1 or 2 guys and you still have to get it to the forward. Jack Black you said with the on ballers Hawks have ........... Sorry but I'm not sure who you would be referring to. Apart from the Ruck man they have only had old men or little kids and guys playing with career ending injuries on the ball. Hawks have never been able to get large turnovers in players and that's exactly what they need. not the 3 or 4 only half decent guys that come in through out the year and never stick around. I don't mean to bag so hard on them they are one of the best junior developing clubs filled with locals in cairns. So I do wish them all the luck for the year. But it had to be said its the truth.[/quote

In the same breath you say that Hawks are on of the best at junior development, yet need a large turnover? That statement makes no sense. It's one or the other BBQ.

BBQ you can combine 2 of those "facts" you said, and that is that the so called old guys in the Hawks were actually the same ones with the injuries and they were still some of the most respected players in this comp. Rundle, Warren, Freddie and Weetra they are getting on and have been injured but still beat almost anyone that is put on them. How many times have you seen people put hits on Jaymie Scrymjour...........0 So dont worry about the Hawks midfield.......or the lions forwards

BBQ you can combine 2 of those "facts" you said, and that is that the so called old guys in the Hawks were actually the same ones with the injuries and they were still some of the most respected players in this comp. Rundle, Warren, Freddie and Weetra they are getting on and have been injured but still beat almost anyone that is put on them. How many times have you seen people put hits on Jaymie Scrymjour...........0 So dont worry about the Hawks midfield.......or the lions forwards

These 4 olde warhorses are well respected opponents and will turn the game inside out on any day given if not closely tagged, I have watched over the years when you think the Hawks are down & gone, only to my dismay they have come back again and beaten the side I follow. Yes Hawks like all clubs need some new blood from time to time & have a wealth of talent in their juniors, but do not under estimated your clubs older playing citizens, they have the brains & skill to scuttle the best laid game plans.

The Hawks have a wealth, a plethora even of junior talent coming through. And if the fish wrapper is correct, the signing of Rob Douglas to concentrate on youth development at the Hawks will only add to their cause. Hawks will continue to make the top 4 for a while to come yet. Although I was a bit surprised they let Miller go just yet.

When hell freezes overeth ;)

I was thinking about playing for the Hawks although I havent played for 6 years im 27 now but im not sure if i have the motivation to play footy. I made rep footy a few times in SANFL juniors and Northern NSW juniors then played a year of seniors and gave it away. Was a midfielder can kick both sides easily still have a kick with mates but playing again..im not sure, will see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When hell freezes overeth ;)

I was thinking about playing for the Hawks although I havent played for 6 years im 27 now but im not sure if i have the motivation to play footy. I made rep footy a few times in SANFL juniors and Northern NSW juniors then played a year of seniors and gave it away. Was a midfielder can kick both sides easily still have a kick with mates but playing again..im not sure, will see.

I guessing you're telling us this so we can guess who you are so I'll have a crack - am i close?
images
http://www.bigfooty.com/wiki/File:MarioSMBW.png

What was meant by my statement was that Hawks have always been able to produce a couple of talented juniors each year. But any kids with talent usually fade away after a couple of years which means you miss out on these kids develloping into men and gaining experience. You then miss out on these boys becoming an asset to the club. How many Hawks juniors from 5years ago would still be playing for Hawks or 4 years or even 3. I bet you would be lucky to find 1. And that gap between the youngsters that do play and the old vets has only a couple of quality players and the rest reserves filling in. Every other club has a team with 3/4 of them over 6 ft 2 and with guys in there prime years 23 to 28 and most clubs get 10 or more recruits each year. Hawks don't they are mostly old because they have been relying on the youngsters to stick around and turn into stars but unfortunatley they dont.......so time to get some new players. Get some of the past guns back if you have to like Cypher and Munkara now thats extreme talent.

Anyway I do hope that it is a competative year and all the clubs have an enjoyable year win or lose and I hope we have good spiritted matches ....................to umpire I will see you out on the field.

What was meant by my statement was that Hawks have always been able to produce a couple of talented juniors each year. But any kids with talent usually fade away after a couple of years which means you miss out on these kids develloping into men and gaining experience. You then miss out on these boys becoming an asset to the club. How many Hawks juniors from 5years ago would still be playing for Hawks or 4 years or even 3. I bet you would be lucky to find 1. And that gap between the youngsters that do play and the old vets has only a couple of quality players and the rest reserves filling in. Every other club has a team with 3/4 of them over 6 ft 2 and with guys in there prime years 23 to 28 and most clubs get 10 or more recruits each year. Hawks don't they are mostly old because they have been relying on the youngsters to stick around and turn into stars but unfortunatley they dont.......so time to get some new players. Get some of the past guns back if you have to like Cypher and Munkara now thats extreme talent.
Anyway I do hope that it is a competative year and all the clubs have an enjoyable year win or lose and I hope we have good spiritted matches ....................to umpire I will see you out on the field.[/quot

BBQ you're whole line of thinking is all wrong I'm afraid. Firstly, kids with talent usually fade away after a few years?? That's a fairly broad assumption, and one I belive isn't true. I would say that it is rare that they fade, maybe move on to better themselves but rarely just give up.
Secondly, Hawks juniors from 3,4 and 5 years ago still at the club:Brown, Freebody, Martin, Morriss, Wardle, Dotoi, Miels, Wiess, Terry, Bedderidge, Fitzgerald, and these are just the guys that have played senior football for the Hawks following a long history of playing junior football at the club. There are at least half a dozen more that are developing nicley and will press for selection in the next year or two. (*apologies to those I missed as there are a lot) You are only talking about 3,4 and 5 years - very little time for this to really take hold which is exactly what is begginning to happen. All the effort and time is really now beginning to pay off for those who had the foresight 5 years ago. From what I hear Norths are heading down the same path which in my view is the right thing to do. Clubs can't keep relying on recruiting premierships for ever.

Pre-season Cup is coming up has anyone heard if some other teams other than Cairns Teams playing this year,

last year PNG played is this happening again ,

is Cape York putting a team in ?????

Rick Hanlon & Mark Harbrow what about it

True Saints have lost a few with up to half of last years premiership team gone. Recruited well but will have to wait and see them play before we can judge if they are good pick ups or not.

They should be called the Ballarat saints not the Cairns Saints. The only thing local about them is there Fasta Pasta awards:D. It would be very hard though not having juniors to come through the ranks. From speaking to one of the saints that drink at Cazalys the new look team isnt looking up to the standard of the previous years. Early days yet. Any news on Walsh I heard he would miss a fair bit of the season because he needed surgery.....thats not official its just bar talk so I dont know if its true.

Good luck everyone with the cyclone. I hope you all stay safe and will see u out on the other side..........I hope.
Man its a big one.

Do Cazaly's or AFL manage some club facilities up here? Someone said the other day that some clubs do not recieve full income from the clubs bar takings. I did notice a Cazaly's sign at another club the other day. Could someone tell me why that occurs? And who are the clubs who fall under the cazalys management? Didn't seem right the way this bloke explained it.

Do Cazaly's or AFL manage some club facilities up here? Someone said the other day that some clubs do not recieve full income from the clubs bar takings. I did notice a Cazaly's sign at another club the other day. Could someone tell me why that occurs? And who are the clubs who fall under the cazalys management? Didn't seem right the way this bloke explained it.

A few years ago myself & 5 others ran Souths bar (all hard working girls & guys LOL ), as we all had full time jobs elsewhere we couldn't keep the club open during the day to make it work fully,

Therefore the Committee elected to offer Gazalys to put in a Bar Manager and run it for us. We receive a cut from the upstairs bar, this is negotiated by the executive Committee each year.

The downstairs Can Bar on game day & training sessions is 100% Souths take.

Well if you read the articles the players have lived here for several years so its fair to call them locals now. All clubs have their fair shares or vics up here Saints do a good job of keeping them. As for Walsh. Not 100% sure on his fitness issues heard a few different things myself so will have to wait and see on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back