AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Non playing coaches are 90% of the time older retired guys who bring loads of experience. Ýou would hope that they would bring some quality players with them to make up for them not being on the field. I can say that the 2 best coaches i have had were non playing but our side were pretty ordinary. Not all gun players make good coaches so let them play and leave the coaching to guys who can do the job best.
Have to disagree that a retired coach would have the same chance of luring players/mates to cairns then that of a younger playing coach. And I never said all gun players make good coaches but I do believe there are a few out there that do. Found it interesting that they request a non playing coach only that's all. As I said before with the correct choice on a playing coach I believe you could get more bang for your buck for this level of footy.

Have to disagree that a retired coach would have the same chance of luring players/mates to cairns then that of a younger playing coach. And I never said all gun players make good coaches but I do believe there are a few out there that do. Found it interesting that they request a non playing coach only that's all. As I said before with the correct choice on a playing coach I believe you could get more bang for your buck for this level of footy.

As strange as it sounds, I have to some what agree with Lachrilly. I think if you have a playing coach he can sometimes miss things or has to remove himself from a passage of play to reflect on his thought process for the game. Fair enough, Saints have been very successful, but there has been a formidable retired coach (I can't recall his name) on the bench assisting with tactics etc. I guess it is seen that the non-playing coach can devote his time to tactics etc rather than worrying about his next handball or punt kick. :cool:

I see that there is not much movement on the clearance board (into cairns particularly) apart from Norths & Souths. Is there stalling tactics being used by the other clubs? If so what are the perceived benifits in doing so?

As strange as it sounds, I have to some what agree with Lachrilly. I think if you have a playing coach he can sometimes miss things or has to remove himself from a passage of play to reflect on his thought process for the game. Fair enough, Saints have been very successful, but there has been a formidable retired coach (I can't recall his name) on the bench assisting with tactics etc. I guess it is seen that the non-playing coach can devote his time to tactics etc rather than worrying about his next handball or punt kick. :cool:
Agree that an on field coach does not have time to reflect onthe game and a bench coach is needed however there is generally someone qualified to assist in this area without payment. Saints used to have Matt Hanson and I believe they now have O'Halloran but these guys would not be paid. They help out game day. I believe centrals also use a bench coach.

Hey mate. Whose this Kelly fella.

He would be Zac Kelly, one of the 3 Croydon boys that came up with the coach. Know him Happy Feet?

I haven't seen the clearance forms out at training yet, so no silly games being played at Saints. Just has not happened yet.

I don't know of any trouble at Hawks, it was more of a question. They are still coachless, know this as they can't prospective recruits who it is.

The decision whether to have playing or non playing coach is one that comes up quite frequently. In the end I think it comes down to what the club is looking for and what applicants the club has for the position. If a club has the right structure off the field then a playing coach is fine but if they don't then a lot of responsibility falls on to the playing coaches shoulders and something has to suffer whether its the quality of his play or ability to make the right decisions as to moves and structures out on the field....

How did junior sign on day go around the traps? From all accounts, Cutters had a reasonable turn up.

"First Hawks boy showed up at Saints training last night... I understand another will follow once his committments drop off as will a few others from the Hawks, points might become an issue. I must admit the Saints boys looked good at training, good depth and over 40 blokes doing full training. Big releif after the exodus of players.[/quote]

Have heard it is a done deal! With the two players i have mentioned earlier as one of the two mentioned has been away with work i believe.

Who is the other hawks player?

He would be Zac Kelly, one of the 3 Croydon boys that came up with the coach. Know him Happy Feet?

I haven't seen the clearance forms out at training yet, so no silly games being played at Saints. Just has not happened yet.

I don't know of any trouble at Hawks, it was more of a question. They are still coachless, know this as they can't prospective recruits who it is.

Caught up with the flash and no coach as yet! This is boarding on being rediculous, surely who would leave it this late!!! No wonder their players are looking around. Apparrently Peter Reynolds ex tiger and bulldog was all set to run around at the hawks this year but has now turned his back and all things going well, will come back to tigerland. Well done hawks! he he

Ex Tigers kid I believe from the rumours.
Heard today that kid is superstar in the making Alex Carter. Wow. will you be crossing over too Tommy? Marto and Alex gone, oh well I guess you still have Lukas to manage. :p
And yes, big man Pete Reynolds returning to Watsons', quality big man will hopefully give us first use and maybe sneak forward to jag a few. More good news for the Tigers, bring on March 31!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard today that kid is superstar in the making Alex Carter. Wow. will you be crossing over too Tommy? Marto and Alex gone, oh well I guess you still have Lukas to manage. :p
And yes, big man Pete Reynolds returning to Watsons', quality big man will hopefully give us first use and maybe sneak forward to jag a few. More good news for the Tigers, bring on March 31!!

Although I said it last year, I think Norths will be a force to be reckoned with this year.:cool:

So AFL Cairns is going ahead with plans to join the NEAFL,

will be great for the region :D

but how are they going to pay for it ?????

that is what confuses me,:confused:

also as long as our comp. doesn't suffer !!!!!

The AFLC is looking to join the NEAFL but nothing will be done that will damage the viability and strength of the local league. The figures all have to add up first for both a team into the NEAFL and the local league continuing to prosper. I'm sure all the clubs would be consulted first before any decision is made to apply to enter the NEAFL....

The AFLC is looking to join the NEAFL but nothing will be done that will damage the viability and strength of the local league. The figures all have to add up first for both a team into the NEAFL and the local league continuing to prosper. I'm sure all the clubs would be consulted first before any decision is made to apply to enter the NEAFL....

They have applied to join (Channel 7 local (Hic) news with Gary Young last night)

From what I understand from Darwin, if you are a member of the Thunder's squad, you are not allowed to play for your club. Maybe wrong, can someone else enlighten

Did see the kid Carter training but think he has spent the off season with Tommy snacking on whole cows and drinking litres of full cream milk. He looks heavy. Carters parents are his downfall. You would think being 19/19 the kid would have stopped breast feeding! Good on hawks for moving him on i say and glad he isnt here at tiger land!

Hawks no coach! Perhaps Ellich will do it but surely covering his mortage repayments is enough payment, yes yes yes, the news has reached the tiger den, thats what it costs to have him!

Finally we have numbers, the tigers will roar in 2012 but and i say BUT, we wont be counting our chickens too early. When i see the older group and fringe players like Leigh and Chris Jorg, Jevat Ali, Sam Davis, Maynard Sam and so forth running around in the 2's i will be confident we are on the right path and would be not carrying players anymore. Our youth are the future and leadership is about making the hard calls and hearing Kane speak after xmas, some heart to hearts will take place informing the older group to step aside!

Carn the tigers!

Did see the kid Carter training but think he has spent the off season with Tommy snacking on whole cows and drinking litres of full cream milk. He looks heavy. Carters parents are his downfall. You would think being 19/19 the kid would have stopped breast feeding! Good on hawks for moving him on i say and glad he isnt here at tiger land!

Hawks no coach! Perhaps Ellich will do it but surely covering his mortage repayments is enough payment, yes yes yes, the news has reached the tiger den, thats what it costs to have him!

I must admit that got a laugh out of me. If we're paying his mortage for him i'd hate to have seen the offer you threw at him to stay to play for the Tigers. He'd still be waiting for that lucritive premiership would he not? :eek:

I must admit that got a laugh out of me. If we're paying his mortage for him i'd hate to have seen the offer you threw at him to stay to play for the Tigers. He'd still be waiting for that lucritive premiership would he not? :eek:

A few facts!

Ellich is a tough case to manage, a personality that takes alot of watering and an ego as fragile as wet tissue paper. The wrong pressure and ellich, like carter will look to run to someone or somewhere that will cater to his needs....... When Lukas was here, very little participation in club activities and when he did, it was like his performances on the field, CONTROVERSIAL! A good kid but sometimes you have to let them go and as a core, the club might have lost a good player but we also let ago hours and hours of 'nuturing' we would have to do to tell him how good he is. Something we can do without!

We have a great core of players and the youth are really exciting. Love the look of young hanlon! Nothing better than a young ranga coming into the seniors to lift the energies!

Finally we have numbers, the tigers will roar in 2012 but and i say BUT, we wont be counting our chickens too early. When i see the older group and fringe players like Leigh and Chris Jorg, Jevat Ali, Sam Davis, Maynard Sam and so forth running around in the 2's i will be confident we are on the right path and would be not carrying players anymore. Our youth are the future and leadership is about making the hard calls and hearing Kane speak after xmas, some heart to hearts will take place informing the older group to step aside!

Carn the tigers!
Ellich as coach. God help us. The guys a tool.

You forget pagan I am good friends with Lukas, I know Lukas very well. Maybe why he had very little to do with the club was he didn't enjoy the club?

At Hawks he has been to nearly every function I can remember, he is running the training atm and is now on the committee. Couldn't ask anymore out of him. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back