AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

If they're back in the two's, presumably you think there are people in the two's that are better than them? Our coaches disagree, otherwise why would they pick them? If you're trying to say our backmen aren't as good as our mids or forwards, that's a different story.

I think our back 6 is the best in the competition and believe me, I've seen a lot of the opposition back 6s. Maybe they're not the best players in the team, but how often do back-pockets win B&Fs (in a team with a % of 300+)?

As for not mentioning the backs, Lachrilly is probably referring to the last few games, particularly last weekend, when there wasn't much reason to talk to them, they barely saw the ball. What do you say to them? "Well done on standing up that end of the ground next to your opponent"?

I think you have made some very good points!

I think you have some very good players in your team and perhaps you may have the best comparable defensive group in relation to other teams but there doesn't seem to be any stand out faces in the defensive end that were not there last year. Again i think the strength is the engine room and forwards. A great bunch of players and stand by my comments, your back 6 is a weakness but whether they are asked to defend is another thing is your forward and midfield groups are smashing oppositions in those respective areas. I will eat humble pie happily if the phillpots, crackers, crouch and co beat their opponents in the last game in sept.

It's largely the same 6 guys as last year, when our forward line and midfield were nowhere near as dominant and they were the best back 6 last year. As opposed to most other sides, Saints have rarely dropped a loose player into defence to help out, so our defence is always one-on-one, as opposed to Walsh and Gill who regularly have to contend with a loose player as well as usually the opposition ruckman. This year, our forwards have still been able to win the ball in that congestion and mopped up the crumbs. That's the only real difference between this year and last. I don't think our forward or defensive 50 numbers would differ much. We're just converting a lot better through congestion.

It's largely the same 6 guys as last year, when our forward line and midfield were nowhere near as dominant and they were the best back 6 last year. As opposed to most other sides, Saints have rarely dropped a loose player into defence to help out, so our defence is always one-on-one, as opposed to Walsh and Gill who regularly have to contend with a loose player as well as usually the opposition ruckman. This year, our forwards have still been able to win the ball in that congestion and mopped up the crumbs. That's the only real difference between this year and last. I don't think our forward or defensive 50 numbers would differ much. We're just converting a lot better through congestion.

Your back 6 was clearly not the best back 6 last year! The year before in 2010 but not in 2011 and to believe that is a clear delusional thought!

Best defensive 6. Compared to Port (one man defensive unit) and Hawks (always had a loose man), I rate them better than the back 6 of those two. Doubt you'd be arguing for any of the other teams. You could argue for Hawks, but without a loose man, the back six were pretty average 1 on 1.

Best defensive 6. Compared to Port (one man defensive unit) and Hawks (always had a loose man), I rate them better than the back 6 of those two. Doubt you'd be arguing for any of the other teams. You could argue for Hawks, but without a loose man, the back six were pretty average 1 on 1.

No good arguing :eek:

Play selector :rolleyes:

Pick the leagues (AFL Cairns) Best Back Six (up to now for season 2012), :D

can be taken from any/all clubs

The premiership team had the best back 6 by a mile. One on one, or as a team, or as an attacking backline. No team came close and the numbers don't lie, Hawks had the least amount of points kicked against them while winning the most games for the season, including the game that counts, the grand final.

The premiership team had the best back 6 by a mile. One on one, or as a team, or as an attacking backline. No team came close and the numbers don't lie, Hawks had the least amount of points kicked against them while winning the most games for the season, including the game that counts, the grand final.

Agree but no point arguing, if they were the best back 6, they would have a trophy at Griffiths Park saying 2011 Premiers. If there was a loose man, where was his opponent? It would have made it a 7 on 7 forward line in saints favour if the spare saints player went forward...... Stats and gf result speak for themselves i think. Would happily take any of saints defenders as we short on in that area.

No good arguing :eek:

Play selector :rolleyes:

Pick the leagues (AFL Cairns) Best Back Six (up to now for season 2012), :D

can be taken from any/all clubs

Here is my 6 plus reserves.....

Bosen, Ferrier, Aisi
Crouch, Markham, Rickter

Reserves would be:

Lock, Tavener, Clough, Martin, O'toole & Tennick Ellich

Is there a reason you call him Crouch and not Couch. Bosen might run around in the back half but he is far from a half decent defender. You have to play on someone to be a defender, he just runs around by himself totally un accountable. Would have Lock and O'Toole plus Mueller in there. Tennick isnt really a defender is he? More of a mid/forward or am i wrong.

Is there a reason you call him Crouch and not Couch. Bosen might run around in the back half but he is far from a half decent defender. You have to play on someone to be a defender, he just runs around by himself totally un accountable. Would have Lock and O'Toole plus Mueller in there. Tennick isnt really a defender is he? More of a mid/forward or am i wrong.

Played most of his best footy off back flank i believe when he has killed us in past years! Bosen i believe is very very good to match a fast HF. So i would be swapping mueller and apologies for Couch but used to calling him an 'average looking ranga' ;)

Here is my 6 plus reserves.....

Bosen, Ferrier, Aisi
Crouch, Markham, Rickter

Reserves would be:

Lock, Tavener, Clough, Martin, O'toole & Tennick Ellich

So you've got two of Saints players (from this year and last in there) and one hawk in the back pocket, but Hawks back 6 was better than Saints?

There's no doubt Hawks deserved the premiership, but it was due to superior organisation (coaching) and winning the midfield on GF day. Saints belted Hawks back 6 plenty of times during the year, as Hawks did once the other way. I thought both backlines held their own on GF day.

Mueller, Ferrier, Martin
Couch, O'Toole, Richter.

I'm not counting midfielders. Last year's wouldn't have been much different except i'd swap O'toole for Hocking and somebody for Mueller.

So you've got two of Saints players (from this year and last in there) and one hawk in the back pocket, but Hawks back 6 was better than Saints?

There's no doubt Hawks deserved the premiership, but it was due to superior organisation (coaching) and winning the midfield on GF day. Saints belted Hawks back 6 plenty of times during the year, as Hawks did once the other way. I thought both backlines held their own on GF day.

Mueller, Ferrier, Martin
Couch, O'Toole, Richter.

I'm not counting midfielders. Last year's wouldn't have been much different except i'd swap O'toole for Hocking and somebody for Mueller.

For the simple reason i felt the loss of Wardle and absence of Roe, form and injury of Weiss, Halter and Martin is hurting hawks. I am suprised about your selection of Martin as he doesnt command respect from our club and last year, you would assume he isnt respected at your club and to pick him over our Markham, Locke and wilba english would be stretching the mark even by viola's biased eyes! I have nothing about the bloke but i think he is soft out back and refuses to defend his opponent unless he can hurt them. As i said, dont know him but rate him in the same league as Ellich and Scrymjour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you're trying to say is that the 3 guys who were good last year are now somehow no good?

Hard to say who's a good back at Souths, we've only given them beltings and I think Lock and English played in the middle against us, same with Lions and Centrals(we've only belted them). I couldn't think of a back pocket that stands out. Thought you'd hit the roof if I put in another Saint. Porter, Finn, Philpots could all slot in there, but it's been hard for any of them to stand out because of injury/absence/lack of the ball being near them. Don't like putting back flankers there, cos they're just second rate midfielders most of the time.

Martin's hard to beat if he actually bothers to go one on one with his opponent, when he's not busy being oiled up or flexing.

Can any of the Saints posters confirm or deny the situation with Alex Carter?

Strong info he was suspended for late night drunken fight in town, then dropped his lip and said if you're going to suspend me I'm just not going to play anymore. And he's been unhappy with where he's playing etc.

Saint? Lachrilly? Dr?
Sounds like Carter, typical young bloke who thinks the shine's out of the proverbial and the world owes him something.

Watched the last 3 quarters of Saints V Cutters game. Saints were obviously very strong and got away to a flying start. Walshy even admitted that Daniel Lock had made it difficult for him and I quote " he kept getting in my way" un-quote. With Walshy a little tied up, I thought Gill was dominant up forward and Braybon provided great back up in the forward/centre half forward lines.

One of the men in orange was smiling at the constructive criticism given by our #1 supporter Tamba;) . I will say this, the umpiring was typically inconsistent in this game:confused: . That's all I have to say on this matter:rolleyes: .

I'll do my tips next week, I won't be at the game I'll be at the Gee Gee's but will tip the Gold Coast Suns to keep their Cazaly's record intact.

:cool:

Sounds like Carter, typical young bloke who thinks the shine's out of the proverbial and the world owes him something.

I think young Carter had some pretty ordinary role models which hasn't helped the kid. He was allowed to drop out of school years ago, has never worked a day in his life, and his parents find excuse in everything for him. And he looked up to Lukas Ehlich at Tigers and Hawks which would have twisted his mind as far as attitude goes.

Hopefully someone can take him away from all that and help him. But I think it might be too little too late now. I remember when he went to Saints, all the Saints supporters on here said his attitude and actions was Hawks fault he left and that Saints would easily sort him out and Max Ohalloran will keep in line etc etc. so, now you've seen him first hand, was it Hawks fault??

Due to the curve on the ground at Cutters, half the time you can't see the ball around the boundary line. I remember the ump paying a mark to Braybon who was sliding. Apparently the ball spilled as he hit the deck, but I was standing right next to the ump and since you couldn't see the ground or the ball. We were standing on the edge of the square. I recall Tamba thought the ump should have been closer.

Carter was at training last night training as hard as ever. Stop trying to project the shortcomings of the Hawks onto other clubs.

I think young Carter had some pretty ordinary role models which hasn't helped the kid. He was allowed to drop out of school years ago, has never worked a day in his life, and his parents find excuse in everything for him. And he looked up to Lukas Ehlich at Tigers and Hawks which would have twisted his mind as far as attitude goes.

Hopefully someone can take him away from all that and help him. But I think it might be too little too late now. I remember when he went to Saints, all the Saints supporters on here said his attitude and actions was Hawks fault he left and that Saints would easily sort him out and Max Ohalloran will keep in line etc etc. so, now you've seen him first hand, was it Hawks fault??

Can't blame Hawks, Tigers or Saints however it would have been nice if Tigers taught him how to kick....

What you're trying to say is that the 3 guys who were good last year are now somehow no good?

Hard to say who's a good back at Souths, we've only given them beltings and I think Lock and English played in the middle against us, same with Lions and Centrals(we've only belted them). I couldn't think of a back pocket that stands out. Thought you'd hit the roof if I put in another Saint. Porter, Finn, Philpots could all slot in there, but it's been hard for any of them to stand out because of injury/absence/lack of the ball being near them. Don't like putting back flankers there, cos they're just second rate midfielders most of the time.

Martin's hard to beat if he actually bothers to go one on one with his opponent, when he's not busy being oiled up or flexing.

ha ha ha that made me laugh ha ha ha ha and will pay that!

Philpots are TERRIBLE and Porter who is he? Couch, Ferrier and O'Toole are your best backmen and plain and simple, its the only blokes who are worth an orange at half time!

We are not world betters but if your not first your last and last year, you were LAST!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back