AFL Canberra Div 3, div 4 (Canb Dist) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the benefit of footy in Canberra, I applaud the Jets for having the balls to have a go.

From the only other club in Canberra who has been forced up a Division in the last ten years, its going to be a tough road and success will take a long time.

But it gives a good 'career' path for the Jets Juniors, who are the future of the club. They have the opportunity to play bigger and better things and continue to impress, with the eventual goal of playing in one of 4 grades.

My only concern is that without a licenced club to back them up (and not a sponsorship, their own licenced premises with the dreaded but necessary pokies) they will be like Tuggeranong and be the whipping boys. Each time they develop a star, one of the big 4 will poach them with money that Gungahlin can't match.

For the benefit of footy in Canberra, I applaud the Jets for having the balls to have a go.

From the only other club in Canberra who has been forced up a Division in the last ten years, its going to be a tough road and success will take a long time.

But it gives a good 'career' path for the Jets Juniors, who are the future of the club. They have the opportunity to play bigger and better things and continue to impress, with the eventual goal of playing in one of 4 grades.

My only concern is that without a licenced club to back them up (and not a sponsorship, their own licenced premises with the dreaded but necessary pokies) they will be like Tuggeranong and be the whipping boys. Each time they develop a star, one of the big 4 will poach them with money that Gungahlin can't match.

Cheers GF, well said. The Jets are under no illusion as to how much work is involved in going all the way to Div 1. The chairman has stated it's a 5-10 year plan. Totally agree with you in regards to a licensed club and I'm sure the Jets powers-that-be are on the same wavelength. But Gungahlin is a huge district now, and still growing fast, so the potential for a licensed club is certainly there in the coming years. Interesting article on all this in the Crimes yesty...

http://www.jetsafc.com.au/reports/jetsct170509.jpg

Very eloquent Heywood, but word on the street is you maybe using a more 'urban' dialect this coming weekend as you talk in rhymes about the life and crimes about the sucka who could, a dawg called Heywood?

:thumbsu: Great post GF.
I don't think any club considering going up into the next Div would ever be so deluded to think they are going to make their mark in the first year. There is a learning curve involved and it is something that needs careful consideration and planning to make it and from what I have read they are doing everything right, looking 5-10yrs down the track.

As it was stated after winning the last 3 GF's by a number of people that they should go up, now they are and people are already bagging after a less than desirable performance on the weekend. Every team has those days.

Their U14's kept Ainslie scoreless on the weekend and their U16 side is performing extremely well and if some of these kids stick around and progress through the grades then they will get definitely develop into a strong side in the coming years and hopefully they can get some strong financial backing as well.

Good luck to them. Hopefully the backing comes and they don't lose players to other clubs purely based on $$.

Yesterday at ainslie Waters got 1 kick 1 handball for 1 behind while his direct opponant ran of the backline numerous times to set up attacking raids.

You sure you watched the same game i was watching?

I had it at 3 marks (one contested), 3 kicks and 2 handballs. You got the 1 behind correct though.

Did you keep stats on the 2 boys from Belconnen who played aswell? Or were you too busy focussing on the Goulburn kid because of the chip on your shoulder??

You picked Yass to win, then bet pounds and peanuts Waters wouldnt get one touch against Ainslie. That 0 from 2 champ :thumbsu:

With regard to Waters yes he kicked 6 however he never took a contested mark infact he hardly left the goal square most of his goals came from handballs over the top of a very tired back 6 and late in the game.

4 goals were in the first half, a centre half forward doesnt play out of the goal square and to take a contested mark you need an opponent that can stay with you. Enough said.

You sure you watched the same game i was watching?

I had it at 3 marks (one contested), 3 kicks and 2 handballs. You got the 1 behind correct though.

Did you keep stats on the 2 boys from Belconnen who played aswell? Or were you too busy focussing on the Goulburn kid because of the chip on your shoulder??

You picked Yass to win, then bet pounds and peanuts Waters wouldnt get one touch against Ainslie. That 0 from 2 champ :thumbsu:

4 goals were in the first half, a centre half forward doesnt play out of the goal square and to take a contested mark you need an opponent that can stay with you. Enough said.

Robert Dillon, welcome to the site it will be nice to get a goulburn perspective on things.
Firstly i dont have a chip on my shoulder ,ive acheived what you and your mates are trying to do.

Secondly yes i did pick yass i didnt however know that they would turn up with 16 players none the less i stand by my selection.
In regards to the pounds to peanuts as you took the bet let me know were to send the pounds.
Yes i did keep an eye on the belco boys along with the hawk boys for that matter.
As for waters and his goal kicking you probably are the best one to comment on that as its your job to wave the flags ha.
It,s a bit of a shame only you and your beanie clad mate (brother) turned up to watch waters .
On the waters subject there is no doubt he will be a handy player for you blokes infact when he trained at ainslie some time back they thought he had potenial.
However even you must admit he isn,t ready for div 1 and as ive stated before i mean no disrespect to the lad.It must have been a massive thrill to play alongside the likes of crouch, malcheski and alike.

Robert Dillon, welcome to the site it will be nice to get a goulburn perspective on things.
Firstly i dont have a chip on my shoulder ,ive acheived what you and your mates are trying to do.

Secondly yes i did pick yass i didnt however know that they would turn up with 16 players none the less i stand by my selection.
In regards to the pounds to peanuts as you took the bet let me know were to send the pounds.
Yes i did keep an eye on the belco boys along with the hawk boys for that matter.
As for waters and his goal kicking you probably are the best one to comment on that as its your job to wave the flags ha.
It,s a bit of a shame only you and your beanie clad mate (brother) turned up to watch waters .
On the waters subject there is no doubt he will be a handy player for you blokes infact when he trained at ainslie some time back they thought he had potenial.
However even you must admit he isn,t ready for div 1 and as ive stated before i mean no disrespect to the lad.It must have been a massive thrill to play alongside the likes of crouch, malcheski and alike.
very true. what happened to earning your stripes, for a guy who is very new to afl and to be picked from goulburn div 4 side what a joke, what about borderline senior players or under 18s that are working hard to get a spot and it is given to someone they knew nothing about. surely they could look a bit harder n ext time, nothing against waters but i dont think he deserved such an honour, especially seeing he played the day before, thats pretty dumb, injuries and he would not have been fresh, if i was 18 and asked to do that i would have done everything possible to impress, not played div 4 the day before . surely their are much better players around that would cherish and deserve such a game. steve chant from cootamundra is one that comes to mind , but im sure many other clubs are thinking the same. not goulburns fault, but come on guys

What's done is done.

Regardless of people's opinions, I don't think he was the highest standard of player to send either I think there were a couple of other players in the Swans squad who could have had a crack, but instead of focusing on the negatives why not give the bloke some positive feedback??

I didn't see the game and I am sure he may have struggled at times but at least he had a crack and he can take something away from it and areas that may need improvement.

He had an opportunity that a lot of people will never get and there is no point throwing names around, those teams were not asked for players and as such who you think should have played does not really matter.

Good on for you getting the opportunity and getting in and having a dig :thumbsu:

Hey guys

Great to see a place where we can talk about Div 3 and 4, was informed of this site by a few of the Yass boys on the weekend and have been very interested to read the comments:thumbsu:.
There has been alot said about Dave and to clarify a few things for everyone. Dave was not picked by the Swans reserves. Queanbeyan (whom we have close contacts with) informed them that there may be a guy at Goulburn that may enjoy the experience. We as a club thought that Dave would get alot from the experience and that is where it finishes. He is a new guy to AFL and to play alongside some of the elite of our game was a massive opportunity for him to watch and learn from the best. He was chosen for the reserves on Friday and had already been picked to play for Goulburn. We at the same time did not know that Yass would be undermanned and so we asked Dave to play with us expecting it to be a close game. Dave did not take the opportunity for granted, he was being loyal to his club and we kept him fresh for Sunday as he only played about half the game on Saturday anyway. Hope that clears it up and we can leave it at that. :)

I noticed he played today for Gbn??? boy must have miraculous recovery powers !! Reckon he feels the jump is too great and best to stick to being big fish in small pond

Also Heywood , great to hear AFL being talked about on radio in canberra but this caper of spending 5minutes on AFL , 2 minutes on the Jets gala days and 15 seconds on Div 1 is crap!!

Thanks for the feedback Brown Hornet, good to know someone's listening! Despite owning an obviously faulty stopwatch, you raise a good point about lifting the profile of our great game in the Canberra region. I'll take on board your request to give ACTAFL Div 1 a bit more of a crack.

Don't forget folks, 4:40pm Fridays on 2CC, 1206AM on the dial. If you missed last week's and you're extremely bored, download the podcast here - it features my Top 10 classic pieces of Dennis Cometti commentary and runs for about 7 or 8 minutes.

Hey guys

Great to see a place where we can talk about Div 3 and 4, was informed of this site by a few of the Yass boys on the weekend and have been very interested to read the comments:thumbsu:.
There has been alot said about Dave and to clarify a few things for everyone. Dave was not picked by the Swans reserves. Queanbeyan (whom we have close contacts with) informed them that there may be a guy at Goulburn that may enjoy the experience. We as a club thought that Dave would get alot from the experience and that is where it finishes. He is a new guy to AFL and to play alongside some of the elite of our game was a massive opportunity for him to watch and learn from the best. He was chosen for the reserves on Friday and had already been picked to play for Goulburn. We at the same time did not know that Yass would be undermanned and so we asked Dave to play with us expecting it to be a close game. Dave did not take the opportunity for granted, he was being loyal to his club and we kept him fresh for Sunday as he only played about half the game on Saturday anyway. Hope that clears it up and we can leave it at that. :)

fair call, i hope he enjoyed the game and thanks for the beer on saturday

dj, how is that yass have 35 on the player list and yet can only feild 16 in wat is almost a local derby ?
Is there more to it or just coincedence.
not sure where you got our list from but i dont think we have 35. I and a few others retired then decided to help out just to field a team, we beat harman with 17, had one on the bench against anu, no bench against eastlake and 16 against goulburn. pretty consistent dont you think, we do have some quality players due soon but if it doesnt happen soon, finals will be out of reach. I think the key to beating goulburn is to be hard at it, they seemed very sheepish when we did that, they will toughen up but i still dont think they are the best team. funny comp this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to be - of our list of 40ish players, we were phoning around on Saturday getting a 21st and 22nd player for the Blues.

I can understand why Yass might struggle for numbers...

FWIW

From reading the explanations, I believe Goulburn were disrespectful towards the kid for playing him Saturday then expecting to back up Sunday.

Anyone selected for the Swans should treat it as an honour, and the clubs should stand them down from duties for that week.

Heywood - where do you see the player depth and numbers coming for next year? With all due respect, many of your playing list are my age (old) and on their way down, not up. Where do you see you getting the core of 18-25 year olds to form the basis of your Ressies side, or is it a 5 year plan to get the current 16-18 year olds up to that required level of size and experience?

not sure where you got our list from but i dont think we have 35. I and a few others retired then decided to help out just to field a team, we beat harman with 17, had one on the bench against anu, no bench against eastlake and 16 against goulburn. pretty consistent dont you think, we do have some quality players due soon but if it doesnt happen soon, finals will be out of reach. I think the key to beating goulburn is to be hard at it, they seemed very sheepish when we did that, they will toughen up but i still dont think they are the best team. funny comp this year.
dj i got the numbers off your web site at the yass roos, i heard on the weekend that some senior players dont like the direction the club has taken and put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 i supose.
gf i agree with the swans senario you put forward i also think that players need to be more respectfull. After all its not something thats comes around every day.

Yeah give Goulburn a break.Whats done is done. Good to see young blokes getting a chance to show what they have got whether out of there league or not.

As reported earlier CDoyle is got a clearance fro Belco to Yass and I beleive that his brother in law is moving out there soon and is also a handy player who is currently at belco !!

Yeah give Goulburn a break.Whats done is done. Good to see young blokes getting a chance to show what they have got whether out of there league or not.

As reported earlier CDoyle is got a clearance fro Belco to Yass and I beleive that his brother in law is moving out there soon and is also a handy player who is currently at belco !!
Maddoag, did the player you speack of happen to kick 3 against adfa in the fours last weekend ?
Im hearing that mr doyle could be playing this weekend .

Unfortunately southcab 3GM will be staying with us. Despite our numerous attempts to sell him to Yass for a case of Crownies, a deal could not be done.

Shane Lees is CD's brother-in-law and is moving out to Yass but I certanly haven't heard anything about him leaving us to play for Yass this year!!!

Cask of goon and a 6 pack of reschs for 3GM and deal done :thumbsu:
That way he has a pillow to sleep on after :D

See thinking about you 3GM ;)

Brasso strained through a hanky is about the best offer out this way :eek:
After that he want need a pillow.Apparantly doyle has a phobia he cant go past the 50 k zone or so im told will only be playing home games.:D

Unfortunately southcab 3GM will be staying with us. Despite our numerous attempts to sell him to Yass for a case of Crownies, a deal could not be done.

Shane Lees is CD's brother-in-law and is moving out to Yass but I certanly haven't heard anything about him leaving us to play for Yass this year!!!

hey pie wait till he starts drinking the yass water, he will soon ask for a clearance, something in the water here. we will be patient and wait till next year that way he can fulfill his contract agreements with you guys and then we can offer him a package deal from there. im tipping yass to recover and win on saturday then take the next three games as well, putting us 6 wins and 3 losses, that should look a bit better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back