AFL Canberra Div 3, div 4 (Canb Dist) Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not here to defend Cooma, but their draw was rubbish.

Their last 6 games were at Goulburn, Jamison, home, Amaroo, Coota then Yass. Surely for 2010 their 5 biggest road trips could be scheduled across the year, and not the last 6 weeks. They fielded teams in 5 of those 6 games. Unfortunately yesterday they ran out of numbers - I know at least 6 or 7 'Woden' players who were unavailable for Cooma due to injury.

But shoot off at the lip ******** - and don't blame Cooma for Yass's inability to win when required. With the forfeit rules you may still get in - average winning score to 0. Which would be harsh on ANU!!!!
not blaming cooma , just stating how piss poor it was. has injuries been the reason for not showing up in the last 6 years.

quite simple mate, 11 teams deserves a top 5, it is also a fairer finals system and it is used in every other competition with these numbers. its just a case of getting with the times

I can understand with 8 - 10 teams having a top 4. And having 12 + a top 6 - 8, but i don't think the fact Yass missed out is a good example of why you should have a top 5. The top 4 are a fair way ahead of the rest of the pack.

A top 5 just seems messy also. Top 4 is simple, 3 weeks of finals. Bad luck, you missed out.

Also i know that the Cooma boys were mad keen for a big finish to the season in Yass. Apparently were trying to get a half dozen or so blokes back from injury. Obviously they weren't fit enough. Can't blame them for forfeiting.

Big Daddy

All at Greenway

Saturday 2:15 Woden vs Murrumbidgee in 3 v 4 - the local derby. Murrumbidgee have won the last 6 in a row between the clubs, but the Blues have never lost a final to the Juggernauts. Should be a ball tearer!

Sunday 2:15 Harman vs ANU in 1 v 2 - two more traditional rivals. Split the home and away games 1/1. Can ANU bounce back to their early season form?

Cracker of a finals series.

Both Grand Finalists from 2008 failed to make the finals. When was the last time that happened?

I'm confused. Who is in the finals for the 1's?

According to sportingpulse the top 4 is
Harman
ANU
Woden
Murrumbidgee

Two cracking finals this weekend with the quality of Harman v ANU, and the recent finals rivalry/history of Bidgee v Woden back in the 4s comp

Nowestsydneyteam, I agree that a top 5 should not just be included based on Yass missing out, or the very small percentage difference between ADFA and Bidgee in the 3s. However, I do think that there are enough teams to warrant a top 5. It gives another side a chance to experience finals, without being too generous (for example ACTAFL 6 teams, 4 play finals - joke). A top 5 makes perfect sense, and rewards the minor premier with a week off (unless we play a top 4 and give the higher teams a home ground advantage in the first week of finals, which makes sense to me).

As for the forfeit situation - it is a shame that there are forfeits during the year, but if anyone is using them as an excuse to not making finals then I would call you pathetic. To play finals this year you had to win at least 10 games - so out of a possible 18 games that is another 7 games that you could have won, dont blame it on one forfeit.

Longhaul and Ferret, sorry for the confusion in an earlier post - I was referring to the Canberra Districts when i mentioned it would be good to see each club fielding first and reserve grade teams. I also think that the Woden/Cooma venture is a good one. Maybe the clubs can promote it so that it helps with Cooma's draw - Ferret i agree that they had a less than good draw for the last few rounds, but!!! On second thoughts, it is so bloody cold in Cooma in July/August, it is only fair that they come up to Canberra, and not us down to them:D:D

Interesting about the Harman v ADFA 4s game on the weekend. Lucky it does not involve teams in finals!

I can understand with 8 - 10 teams having a top 4. And having 12 + a top 6 - 8, but i don't think the fact Yass missed out is a good example of why you should have a top 5. The top 4 are a fair way ahead of the rest of the pack.

A top 5 just seems messy also. Top 4 is simple, 3 weeks of finals. Bad luck, you missed out.

Also i know that the Cooma boys were mad keen for a big finish to the season in Yass. Apparently were trying to get a half dozen or so blokes back from injury. Obviously they weren't fit enough. Can't blame them for forfeiting.

Interested to hear why you think the top 4 are a fair way ahead of the pack?

And why no west sydney team?

According to sportingpulse the top 4 is
Harman
ANU
Woden
Murrumbidgee

Two cracking finals this weekend with the quality of Harman v ANU, and the recent finals rivalry/history of Bidgee v Woden back in the 4s comp

Nowestsydneyteam, I agree that a top 5 should not just be included based on Yass missing out, or the very small percentage difference between ADFA and Bidgee in the 3s. However, I do think that there are enough teams to warrant a top 5. It gives another side a chance to experience finals, without being too generous (for example ACTAFL 6 teams, 4 play finals - joke). A top 5 makes perfect sense, and rewards the minor premier with a week off (unless we play a top 4 and give the higher teams a home ground advantage in the first week of finals, which makes sense to me).

As for the forfeit situation - it is a shame that there are forfeits during the year, but if anyone is using them as an excuse to not making finals then I would call you pathetic. To play finals this year you had to win at least 10 games - so out of a possible 18 games that is another 7 games that you could have won, dont blame it on one forfeit.

Longhaul and Ferret, sorry for the confusion in an earlier post - I was referring to the Canberra Districts when i mentioned it would be good to see each club fielding first and reserve grade teams. I also think that the Woden/Cooma venture is a good one. Maybe the clubs can promote it so that it helps with Cooma's draw - Ferret i agree that they had a less than good draw for the last few rounds, but!!! On second thoughts, it is so bloody cold in Cooma in July/August, it is only fair that they come up to Canberra, and not us down to them:D:D

Interesting about the Harman v ADFA 4s game on the weekend. Lucky it does not involve teams in finals!
i agree with you too bobs, we really do need a top 5 afl canberra is so far behind every other league in crowds and support. ovens and murray always gets about 15000 to gf and has been stated by some on here as below afl canberra. I dont give a rats about yass missing out or adfa, just stating that it is time to make it a top 5. It gives top place an advantage as it should, the top four is too easy for 4th placed team to make and win grand final. as for top 4 being so far ahead of the rest is bullshit as well, have a look through the results in both comps and get back to me on that one. for example yass finished 5th but beat 3rd placed belco by 20 goals and 8 goals. coota went fairly close to goulburn and even closer in div 3. there was 7 teams fighting for a finals spot, couldnt get much closer than that. just saying again get with the times and improve the competition. actafl have 6 teams who cares we have 10 and 11 and more teams interested in joining. also apologies to goulburn in a previous post, when i heard they got pumped by belco i picked the jets and belco as grand finalists, but now change my mind to goulburn v jets. congrats for going through season undefeated, great effort, sorry belco boys, hopefully you will win first final against anu, but after that i think it might be a bit hard. stranger things have happened. again good luck to all, not sure why as i dont know any of wodens players but i would like them to make gf.

i agree with you too bobs, we really do need a top 5 afl canberra is so far behind every other league in crowds and support. ovens and murray always gets about 15000 to gf and has been stated by some on here as below afl canberra. I dont give a rats about yass missing out or adfa, just stating that it is time to make it a top 5. It gives top place an advantage as it should, the top four is too easy for 4th placed team to make and win grand final. as for top 4 being so far ahead of the rest is bullshit as well, have a look through the results in both comps and get back to me on that one. for example yass finished 5th but beat 3rd placed belco by 20 goals and 8 goals. coota went fairly close to goulburn and even closer in div 3. there was 7 teams fighting for a finals spot, couldnt get much closer than that. just saying again get with the times and improve the competition. actafl have 6 teams who cares we have 10 and 11 and more teams interested in joining. also apologies to goulburn in a previous post, when i heard they got pumped by belco i picked the jets and belco as grand finalists, but now change my mind to goulburn v jets. congrats for going through season undefeated, great effort, sorry belco boys, hopefully you will win first final against anu, but after that i think it might be a bit hard. stranger things have happened. again good luck to all, not sure why as i dont know any of wodens players but i would like them to make gf.
I'm not writing off the Top 5 system completely, but it does have one major flaw - the minor premier gets a week off in the first week of the finals and then another week off in the 3rd week of the finals if they win their first final. This means they go into a GF with 1 game under their belt in 4 weeks - not necessarily an ideal preparation for a Granny.

The Top 4 works. Why reward mediocrity? Can anyone imagine 5th knocking off either of the top 2? Its not as if an extra final would allow for greater TV revenues!!!

ADFA were unlucky to miss out, but should have worked harder before the year to reschedule games to avoid the forfeit. Clubs can work together and most do - I know we had cooperation in changing our initial draw from ADFA, Harman and Murrumbidgee.

Interested to hear why you think the top 4 are a fair way ahead of the pack?

And why no west sydney team?

Well the only team Yass has beaten in the top 4 is Belconnen with significant injuries. They pushed Goulburn but they also have had a couple of injuries lately. However come finals i guarantee the Maggies will be a fair bit stronger. So it's just my opinion if Yass had have made the finals there isn't a team they could have beaten. Mind you a couple of you have done a bit more research than i did and they are good points.

Just personally would prefer it. Tasmania would be great reward for a more or less 100% AFL state. West Sydney would be boring.

Well the only team Yass has beated in the top 4 is Belconnen with significant injuries. They pushed Goulburn but they also have had a couple of injuries lately. However come finals i guarantee the Maggies will be a fair bit stronger. So it's just my opinion if Yass had have made the finals there isn't a team they could have beaten. Mind you a couple of you have done a bit more research than i did and they are good points.

Just personally would prefer it. Tasmania would be great reward for a more or less 100% AFL state. West Sydney would be boring.

That's fair enough.

You're right about Tassie deserving an AFL side, but the game deserves a bigger presence in Sydney and the timing's right (AFL are cashed up). Tassie will get a side eventually because Victoria won't sustain 10 clubs IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all just letting every one know that the yass roos are holding there sportsmans dinner on saturday the 22nd at the yass soldiers club featuring guest of honour Sam Kekovich. Tickets are $60. Send me a pm if you want details on how to get a ticket :thumbsu:

Well the only team Yass has beaten in the top 4 is Belconnen with significant injuries. They pushed Goulburn but they also have had a couple of injuries lately. However come finals i guarantee the Maggies will be a fair bit stronger. So it's just my opinion if Yass had have made the finals there isn't a team they could have beaten. Mind you a couple of you have done a bit more research than i did and they are good points.

it is all hear say now, but i think you would have been surprised with yass come finals time. we would have had absolutely every player available for first final. yes belco were missing a fair few when we beat them by 20 goals, but we also had a few out. no sour grapes here, just dissapointed we dont have the opportunity to defend premiership. i think the belco boys would much prefer to be playing anu instead of us in firest final, although anu have hit form at the right time as well, good luck all

it is all hear say now, but i think you would have been surprised with yass come finals time. we would have had absolutely every player available for first final. yes belco were missing a fair few when we beat them by 20 goals, but we also had a few out. no sour grapes here, just dissapointed we dont have the opportunity to defend premiership. i think the belco boys would much prefer to be playing anu instead of us in firest final, although anu have hit form at the right time as well, good luck all

Finals time.. Yass aren't there.. why are you still going on about Yass?

18 rounds to cement your self in finals, you failed to do so, so anything said about Yass' form and finals is all conjecture and in a few short weeks Yass will lose all right to gob off about their GF win as the season will be over and their will be a new premier who can gob off.:rolleyes:

Finals time.. Yass aren't there.. why are you still going on about Yass?

18 rounds to cement your self in finals, you failed to do so, so anything said about Yass' form and finals is all conjecture and in a few short weeks Yass will lose all right to gob off about their GF win as the season will be over and their will be a new premier who can gob off.:rolleyes:

And that will be the jets in div 4 and uni in div3 .:D

Hey guys, let's go up to the Aussie for a beer.
Hey, are you going up the Aussie?
Hey yeah, lets go up the Aussie, have a beer and celebrate our grand final win.
You know what's awesome. Having the internet so we can post messages about going up the Aussie to have a beer and celebrate our grand final win.

Aaah, memories.

Hey guys, let's go up to the Aussie for a beer.
Hey, are you going up the Aussie?
Hey yeah, lets go up the Aussie, have a beer and celebrate our grand final win.
You know what's awesome. Having the internet so we can post messages about going up the Aussie to have a beer and celebrate our grand final win.

Aaah, memories.
Belco being up by about a thousand and then going on to get beaten......
Ahh the memories!!!:p:p:p:p

Belco being up by about a thousand and then going on to get beaten......
Ahh the memories!!!:p:p:p:p

That was pretty funny. What's even funnier is that just like you flogs they couldn't back it up and make the finals next year.

Whatever happened to Joel Smith and Ben Dixon - the big Subway sponsored recruits. If only.

That was pretty funny. What's even funnier is that just like you flogs they couldn't back it up and make the finals next year.

Whatever happened to Joel Smith and Ben Dixon - the big Subway sponsored recruits. If only.
I thoght you might have taken a bite of that one. thats footy mate, you win some you lose some. How could you be so gullible to believe anything ando says. His ghost lives on.......

Wonder if Goulburn will be as obnoxious if they manage to win this year?

I already heard that for 2010 they have recruited Stewie Dew thanks to McDonalds Goulburn and Damien Cupido thanks to the NSWTAB

I'm not writing off the Top 5 system completely, but it does have one major flaw - the minor premier gets a week off in the first week of the finals and then another week off in the 3rd week of the finals if they win their first final. This means they go into a GF with 1 game under their belt in 4 weeks - not necessarily an ideal preparation for a Granny.

Good observation Heywood, that is a major drawback for mine. Involving 5 teams rather than 4 out of 10/11 in finals is a positive but not at sacrifice of advantages to minor premier.

Over the last couple of years the big advantage of CD level is the competitiveness of the competition. If you increase the finals teams does that take that away to an extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back