Mezz

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2010
unceded Wangkatha lands, W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
John Worsfold hosted a footy clinic this morning in sunny Onslow and at the appointed time (0900), there was no-one there, only John himself, laying out the little plastic discs. Walking the dogs, I had a bit of a s****** to myself that a Wet Toast "legend" was in town and he hadn't attracted a crowd.

Finished walking the dogs and there were a few more people, about 20 or so kids and a few parents, so I hung around and had a chat (nothing much happens in Onslow, let me give you the hot tip). These are the things I learnt:

* he couldn't walk for about 4 days after the NY marathon, and it took 2 days before he could walk down steps without holding onto the rail. He said his knees and thighs suffered the most
* he has no plans to run any more marathons, although the London Marathon, if any, would tempt him
* his weight is currently 80 kgs, which is still 20 kgs heavier than your average marathon runner of the same height, and hence, the pounding that his knees took
* his body is great and holding up well, generally speaking
* he mentioned some former players who had severely bung shoulders eg Adam Hunter and Don Pyke, who are still looked after by the club in a sort of workers' comp type of arrangement
* he is taking a big break from footy (he has earnt the equivalent of two lots of long-service-leave after playing/coaching non-stop for 24 years), and just looking forward to spending time with his 3 kids
* he said he was only just now starting to "wind down" from footy and not think about it "all the time"
* he has no plans to get back into pharmacy-type work
* he may do some commentary work next year but not with Channel 7 as a commentator, does not want that rigid schedule of commentating every weekend
* his son Charlie is 12 and only just getting into footy now, much to the delight of his Dad
* his 17 yo daughter is interested in physiotherapy or something similar, with an NBA club
* he had no input whatsoever into this year's draft
* he has been in Onslow as a guest of Chevron (the local mining company) and had presented some awards, visited a Chevron weight-loss programme clinic to discuss healthy lifestyle, and also held a footy coaching clinic at the mine camp when I questioned what he had done for two whole days in Onslow. He returns to Perth this afternoon
* he was aware that Cousins, Glass and Gaspar had been in town last week and were currently on a camp with 'at risk' Onslow boys in Canberra.

My two Wet Toast friends just stood there gob-smacked so I had to hold up our end of the conversation. I managed to get a few digs in for Freo, pointing out that Barlow was already back into training, cuz we were planning on a GF appearance next year. I also told him I had expected a big announcement that he had cancer or something after he had resigned as coach, due to his massive weight loss this year.

I found him to be very personable and admitted I was a Dockers fan when I went up to have a photo with him. Said it was in memory of my Dad who was a big Wet Toast fan, and I had to keep remembering to not say "Wet Toast" the whole time I was talking to him (about 20 minutes). I came away with a very different opinion of him and could almost like him now after our little chat. I even felt bad about my little s****** earlier on.

Still hate Wet Toast though :D:thumbsu:

Great story and insight into John Worsfold. My dislike to most things West Coast is hard to shake but he is a West Aussie firstly had a terrific footy career and has never been anything but a good citizen (not my place to comment on recent personal matters) and yep I used to like the way he ran through a couple of arrogant douche bags as well. :thumbsu:

I also told him I had expected a big announcement that he had cancer or something after he had resigned as coach, due to his massive weight loss this year.

Jesus christ mate, that's a pretty queer thing to say. I cringed just reading it!

And that's not to mention that some things were going on his life...

But he always seemed a really decent person. Great career and it's pretty hard to dislike him. Maybe it's the South Fremantle connection.

Always seemed like a decent guy off the field, just afflicted with white-line fever.

His daughter has inherited it too, if an unsavoury story I heard from a recent water polo game is anything to go by.

I knew John when he was a South Freo player & when he was first picked up by the Illegals.
We were good friends, in fact he is probably the AFL player I have known best.
We went our separate ways, but even after not meeting each other for a number of years we bumped into each other & caught up warmly. He is a fantastic bloke. Make no mistake, he is strong willed & very confident, but he is a decent human being.
I'd love to bump into him again, not literally as we all know what he was like on the field. (opposite of me on the field, haha)
Thanks for the story

For me always thought there was a massive story how this guy a twenty year legend of the club who wasn't given a contract, he came out said wanted to continue coaching two weeks before the end of the season the he resigned? I call bullish!t. Smacks of him given an ultimatum of jumping before he was pushed.
Reckon it's an absolute disgrace that the WA media including his good mates Barra, Karl and a few other "Journo" friends let that club and administrators get away with what they did him. FFS he played a hand in all 3 of their premierships,just sad. Reckon he's a good bloke, but guarantee he won't be back at the WCE until the current administration is gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me always thought there was a massive story how this guy a twenty year legend of the club who wasn't given a contract, he came out said wanted to continue coaching two weeks before the end of the season the he resigned? I call bullish!t. Smacks of him given an ultimatum of jumping before he was pushed.

Reckon it's an absolute disgrace that the WA media including his good mates Barra, Karl and a few other "Journo" friends let that club and administrators get away with what they did him. FFS he played a hand in all 3 of their premierships,just sad. Reckon he's a good bloke, but guarantee he won't be back at the WCE until the current administration is gone.

How many players say they're "happy at the club" and then end up getting a trade or free agency move to a new side? It's pretty normal for people in football to keep their decisions in their heads or within a meeting. Plus the murmurs about his personal life were flying around a few months before he quit.

I'm all for slinging shit on the Eagles but you've cast some aspersions that have come from you putting two and two together. I'm pretty sure he'd been in football for over 25 years, 20 of them at one club, and wanted to live a less stressful life after carving out an outstanding career. Some stuff going on probably made the decision easier. Nothing odd about it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the eagles had a quiet word and suggested he resign.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I'd hope our club would give any stalwart of Woosha's pedigree the chance to go out with their dignity intact too.

He could be viewed as a lost Freo boy...

Sumich came back and stated he a Freo boy at heart.

I remember reading on here some story about Worsfold being primed for the Freo role. But someone came in and overruled it, saying how great this Chris Connolly was. There's a bit more to it. I think he might've been offered the job on a bit of a flimsy basis, no genuine paperwork or promise and he might've had to wait a season – the Eagles came in and offered something concrete and alas...

Always wonder how Fremantle would've gone under him. You can look at it without the purple glasses, but that 2005-2007 Freo side was pretty great on paper. Plenty of champions in a good period of their career. The weaklink was always a shit coach.

Great read Mezz, nice to see how much Woosha is respected despite the fact you clearly hate everything blue and gold with a passion :D

I could see him doing the occasional bit of special comments work on ABC radio, or maybe 6PR given the link with Langdon. Not sure how he'd go in a studio with Brad Hardie though :p

Great read Mezz, nice to see how much Woosha is respected despite the fact you clearly hate everything blue and gold with a passion :D

I could see him doing the occasional bit of special comments work on ABC radio, or maybe 6PR given the link with Langdon. Not sure how he'd go in a studio with Brad Hardie though :p

He made such a favourable impression that I wouldn't mind if he somehow became involved with Freo in the future. I wouldn't mind if he commentated Freo games; he certainly couldn't be any worse than the Snoz or Der-wayne.

I'm just kicking myself that I didn't mention that he was a Freo boy during our chat.

We had a chuckle when he mentioned that his daughter cried when he announced his resignation as she views the players like they are older brothers, but my daughter pointed out that she probably wouldn't be viewing the new draftees as older brothers, considering they're 18 and she's 17. Maybe he got out at just the right time.;)

In footy, you love a "mischievious" player if they are your's, but hate them if they are in the opposite team. Woosha was like that, he could sure play.

There was a comment about him maybe returning to WCE in a small capacity after some of the present "string pullers" leave. I have always felt that during Woosha's coaching career at WCE, he was very honest with the player group. The big thing that fractured WCE, was the drug culture, which I think Woosha did his best to confront his troops with the truth. The administration I think did not back Woosha 100%, they were more interested in sponsorship dollars and image.

Nisbett is like Dorrington, teflon coated.

Woosha = not a bad bloke.

Always liked him, he came across as the ultimate team man.

The vision of him running off after he did his knee always sticks with me. He wasn't going to let anyone see him be carried off the footy field.

Always gave respect to the opposition as a coach and never took potshots even when it would have been easy to do so.

I would have no issues if he ever felt the urge to get involved with the FFC and would consider it a huge win for us.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the eagles had a quiet word and suggested he resign.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I'd hope our club would give any stalwart of Woosha's pedigree the chance to go out with their dignity intact too.

I agree. Just an opinion, but it looked to me like he resigned so he didn't have to be pushed. Which is good thing for any club really. Smooth transition, little or no argy bargy.

Always gave respect to the opposition as a coach and never took potshots even when it would have been easy to do so.

I won't use the word complimentary, though it's the first to come to my mind, but he was always respectful and diplomatic towards Freo on derby week.

We had a chuckle when he mentioned that his daughter cried when he announced his resignation as she views the players like they are older brothers, but my daughter pointed out that she probably wouldn't be viewing the new draftees as older brothers, considering they're 18 and she's 17. Maybe he got out at just the right time.;)

He probably remembers what a certain old teammate got up to with his old coach's daughter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp AFL clinic with John Worsfold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back