List Mgmt. AFL draft: Analysing all 18 clubs’ first-round picks since 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

picking skinny mids like RCD and Dow is problematic. RCD took longer than 4 years. He could do centre clearances quite well but still looked young when he was delisted. He looked slow to mature. Maybe Dow and RCD are highly talented but it's a gamble that their body develops. Haven't seen Dow lately so not sure how he is tracking. If he's added anything to the good hands. The club bring in TT and JH. So obviously don't expect Dow to step this year. He's now competing with Ross and Graham for a spot.

I'd pick more Ross or Graham types. Guys ready to go.

If you can get these guys for 40+, why waste early picks on them? We haven’t had high picks for ages and to win flags you need difference makers who are usually in the top 5-10 picks.

So instead we pick high risk high reward types like Bolton, Balta, RCD, Dow etc… if they bust well that’s fine because we can still fill out 10-22 players with late picks and rookies, such as Graham, Ross, baker, Pickett, broad, etc… but finding those 1-5 players is the hardest part and the percentages suggest the closer you are to the top the better your chances.

I love our strategy, and I think our club has learnt from mistakes really well, like Lennon and Ellis, where we changed tack and only really picked one non athlete since in Higgins.

3 flags, its been a great 10 years. Often the true gems are not the first rounders, look at how many of our rookies have become premiership players.

Smart teams too 'borrow' first rounders from other clubs, take a bow Deon Prestia, Tom Lynch, Josh Caddy ^^. Welcome Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper ^^

So Richmond is actually full of first rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. AFL draft: Analysing all 18 clubs’ first-round picks since 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back