Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
It shouldn't. In fact this deal could work in our favour. Adelaide will be more open to trading their own F2 for 22 now.

Right now we have one of the most valuable commodities in the draft. If a bid comes in, there will be teams who have an eye on it. St. Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorne, Bulldogs and Adelaide all have picks that would fit our needs, and all could come to us with an attractive offer.
That's some mighty fine "if everything falls into place perfectly."

People are assuming we weren’t onto this. If I were the crows and they were choosing between our F2 and norfs, I’m choosing norf.

Same as everyone assuming we had no interest in Hewett because he chose Carlton.

That's some mighty fine "if everything falls into place perfectly."
And if it doesn't we take an early second round pick this year. Either that or we trade up with it and our F2.

And if it doesn't we take an early second round pick this year. Either that or we trade up with it and our F2.

The ‘if it doesn’t’ outcome is a chook lotto that likely results in us pissing away pick 22 for no apparent reason with no apparent return.

The ‘if it doesn’t’ outcome is a chook lotto that likely results in us pissing away pick 22 for no apparent reason with no apparent return.
Scenario one: We trade 22 up above any potential Davey bid alongside our F2.
Scenario two: A bid comes in, we trade 22 to any of the club's I mentioned earlier for a F2 and a pick in the 40's.
Scenario three: no bid comes in before 22, we take a sliding player and then Alwyn after that.

One of these three scenarios will happen. No need to panic because of one deal that really doesn't affect the above at all.

Scenario one: We trade 22 up above any potential Davey bid alongside our F2.
Scenario two: A bid comes in, we trade 22 to any of the club's I mentioned earlier for a F2 and a pick in the 40's.
Scenario three: no bid comes in before 22, we take a sliding player and then Alwyn after that.

One of these three scenarios will happen. No need to panic because of one deal that really doesn't affect the above at all.

Now you’re being deliberately obtuse.

Scenario 4 is a bid comes in before 22, there isn’t an immediate land rush for it and we either can’t move it or essentially have to move it for cents on the dollar because we waited until the last minute.

I’ve got no doubt we’re talking to clubs but until this isn’t the outcome it is still a possibility. And I don’t like our track record.

Now you’re being deliberately obtuse.

Scenario 4 is a bid comes in before 22, there isn’t an immediate land rush for it and we either can’t move it or essentially have to move it for cents on the dollar because we waited until the last minute.

I’ve got no doubt we’re talking to clubs but until this isn’t the outcome it is still a possibility. And I don’t like our track record.
That scenario won't happen. Any list manager that isn't circling pick 22 for scenario 2 because they literally can't trade their F2.

Seriously, I know it's hard to accept the fact that we're in a strong position with pick 22 but we are. There is absolutely no reason to be alarmed

That scenario won't happen. Any list manager that isn't circling pick 22 for scenario 2 because they literally can't trade their F2.

Seriously, I know it's hard to accept the fact that we're in a strong position with pick 22 but we are. There is absolutely no reason to be alarmed
In your opinion

In your opinion
There is a 0% chance of that happening. There are 8 teams who do not have the ability to trade a F2. The 9 that can are Adelaide (x2), Carlton, Gold Coast (x2), Hawthorne (x2), Melbourne (x2), St. Kilda, Sydney, West Coast and Western Bulldogs. Of these teams, only West Coast would it be unfeasible with no picks between 26 and 78.

For that scenario to happen, it would take all 8 other clubs to be so bitter that they would outright refuse to deal with us. Two of which have already done so this off season pretty quickly.

It shouldn't. In fact this deal could work in our favour. Adelaide will be more open to trading their own F2 for 22 now.

Right now we have one of the most valuable commodities in the draft. If a bid comes in, there will be teams who have an eye on it. St. Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorne, Bulldogs and Adelaide all have picks that would fit our needs, and all could come to us with an attractive offer.

lol wut?

We could've just traded 22 for North's future 2nd (which 80% chance ends up being better than Adelaide's) and be done with it. Now we're hoping that we might get a deal that is close to that and this somehow works in our favour?

By calling it a scenario you are, by definition acknowledging it as a possibility.

It’s still a possibility until it’s not a possibility, and our track record makes me nervous.

lol wut?

We could've just traded 22 for North's future 2nd (which 80% chance ends up being better than Adelaide's) and be done with it. Now we're hoping that we might get a deal that is close to that and this somehow works in our favour?
Not really, no. We want to use 22 this year if at all possible.

If it were Adelaide trading 23 into the first round you'd have a point. They didn't. We're still in a good position.
By calling it a scenario you are, by definition acknowledging it as a possibility.

It’s still a possibility until it’s not a possibility, and our track record makes me nervous
Nope. I'm saying that it isn't. Because it isn't.

It won't happen. Saying it's a possibility is saying that there are 8 list managers who will simply refuse to deal with Essendon, two of which already have this year.
In your opinion
Nope. It won't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s still a possibility until it’s not a possibility, and our track record makes me nervous.
Isn’t there a bit of a gentleman’s agreement between list managers that you give them the heads up if you are going to bid on their player?? I think we let the Hawks know we were going to bid on Mosquito.

Having said that I don’t think the tigers or us gave the lions a heads up when we kept bidding on their players in 2020.

jeff bridges opinion GIF

Someone from the hawks board....

'I've said it a few times, no Intel on Hawks, but I get a bit on Essendon.

Bombers are I'm told keen on Humphrey at 4(5). But they also like Tsastas.

More unfortunately for us, I'm told they're looking to package their 2023 second and pick 22 to move up the draft this year.

They're talking with Swans (pick 14) and Giant's (pick 15) around this providing Davey hasn't been bid on before these picks.
'

I cant see the quality player sliding to 15 or 16 that makes it worth weakening next years hand in a strong draft. Id rather keep our F2 and trade 22 for another F2 and some points for the Alwyn Jnr bid.

Isn't 'next year' always a strong draft. Until it arrives in which case its a normal draft like pretty much 8 or 9 drafts in a decade.

Like in the 2010s for example the only 'strong drafts' were 2013 and 2018 and I'm not even sure that 2018 went all that deep anyway but the first round was pretty nice.
Probably 2013 was the only draft that you'd feel like missing out would really cost you and the more picks the better.
Odds are pretty good that 2023 won't be that can't miss draft.

Isn't 'next year' always a strong draft. Until it arrives in which case its a normal draft like pretty much 8 or 9 drafts in a decade.

Like in the 2010s for example the only 'strong drafts' were 2013 and 2018 and I'm not even sure that 2018 went all that deep anyway but the first round was pretty nice.
Probably 2013 was the only draft that you'd feel like missing out would really cost you and the more picks the better.
Odds are pretty good that 2023 won't be that can't miss draft.
Yes, but id rather 2 x 2nds next year than 1 player this year and no 2nd next year, if the right player has not slid.

I cant see the quality player sliding to 15 or 16 that makes it worth weakening next years hand in a strong draft. Id rather keep our F2 and trade 22 for another F2 and some points for the Alwyn Jnr bid.
What about George?

I thought he was projected around top 10ish before his ACL, so we might look to him if he slips before a Davey bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back