Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If it were 29 is consider it

If we come out of this year's draft having used 29, 31 and 35 and with 2 future firsts and a second in 2024 I take that any day of the week.

Daniel Curtin can play in the midfield? Is this right or are they just hyping up his versatility?

Because if he can be an effective midfielder...

That'll be the biggest midfielder of the big bodied mids we'll ever see. I'd say trade up if this is true.

Daniel Curtin can play in the midfield? Is this right or are they just hyping up his versatility?

Because if he can be an effective midfielder...

That'll be the biggest midfielder of the big bodied mids we'll ever see. I'd say trade up if this is true.

Reminds me of when Jonathon Brown played midfield for about a month. Was pretty damn good in there too.

Reminds me of when Jonathon Brown played midfield for about a month. Was pretty damn good in there too.
I've gone down a rabbit hole, watched his highlights and read some articles. Why isn't he a top 4 lock in the open draft?

If the mock draft above happens and Curtin slips all the way to Geelong or even to Melbourne, then Essendon are surely trading up? And if he wants to go home in a few years, then West Coast have a perfect VIC player in Reid to attempt to trade for.

At worst, we have a decent KPP that can rotate through the middle so he isn't high risk other than the go home factor. But he has enormous upside with the ability to provide an immediate impact given his size.

To my eyes it seems like Curtin had an enormous growth spurt and seemed to be playing in the midfield before that. Kind of reminds me of what happened to Cripps though they don't seem to play the same.

Call me optimistic, but he seems like the perfect player alongside Tsatas, Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Durham etc. If he does play significant time in the middle, then he balances them out quite well.

For some reason I'm getting Goddard-type utility vibes from him.

I concur, word is Curtin is not a fan of pretzels.

I've gone down a rabbit hole, watched his highlights and read some articles. Why isn't he a top 4 lock in the open draft?

If the mock draft above happens and Curtin slips all the way to Geelong or even to Melbourne, then Essendon are surely trading up? And if he wants to go home in a few years, then West Coast have a perfect VIC player in Reid to attempt to trade for.

At worst, we have a decent KPP that can rotate through the middle so he isn't high risk other than the go home factor. But he has enormous upside with the ability to provide an immediate impact given his size.

To my eyes it seems like Curtin had an enormous growth spurt and seemed to be playing in the midfield before that. Kind of reminds me of what happened to Cripps though they don't seem to play the same.

Call me optimistic, but he seems like the perfect player alongside Tsatas, Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin, Durham etc. If he does play significant time in the middle, then he balances them out quite well.

I think the midfield is being over stated a bit . Yes he can provide a bit of run from what I have seen but it is not really clearance/ stoppage stuff .
I just think the whole elite 8 stuff has been a bit of a wank . There is one elite player plus the GC lad who no one gets a look at . Then there is a bunch of 10 or so that are not really that far apart IMO .

That’s a terrible trade imo likely you get around about the same pick next year with all the risk, there’s no incentive to make the trade
New coach unpredictable how they’ll go, could easily spike and suddenly you look very silly. We likely get 1 of caddy, O’Sullivan, Wilson or Windsor.

I’m backing tigers as bottom 5.

It’s this years 11th best kid for next years (whatever you think tigers go).

I’d take Caddy otherwise I’d trade it ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Phantom Draft 2023: Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger reveal how the first round could play out​

FINAL PHANTOM DRAFT 2023

image1__4Key1xYE.jpg

Harley Reid​

West Coast​

Bendigo Pioneers, 187cm midfielder
Powerful, confident, country kid certain to go No.1. Sound like anyone? Luke Hodge, perhaps? Except ‘Hodgey’ was never this famous as a teenager.
Why?
Unless the Roos fold and fork over picks No.2 and 3 for Reid then he will be the centrepiece of the Eagles’ rebuild. Does Ben Cousins’ No.9 jumper await?
image1_fURU5KIaQ1.jpg

Jed Walter​

Gold Coast (matching North Melbourne's bid)​

Gold Coast academy, 194cm key forward
Freakishly athletic key forward the first of three academy gifts for Dimma’s Suns. Plenty
of Charlie Curnow in this kid.
Why?
Surely North Melbourne, like most clubs, has Walter ranked a clear No.2 on its talent board and bids here. Questions will be asked if not.
image1__0VSGdiPdu.jpg

Colby McKercher​

North Melbourne​

Launceston, 182cm midfielder
Rates his work in the kitchen, but it is his class and precision on the grass that has him a lock to land at Arden St.
Why?
It’s simple. He is the best midfielder behind Reid, and arriving 12 months after Sheezel and Wardlaw arms Alastair Clarkson with three bankable beauties to
transform this club.
image1_06jajw2ud1.jpg

Zane Duursma​

North Melbourne​

Gippsland Power, 189cm midfielder/forward
Brother of Essendon recruit Xavier Duursma is deadlier than a bow and arrow in front of goals.
Why?
Going small again because Duursma is too damn good. Will target talls at picks 15, 17 and 18. Suspect Duursma for Ben McKay (this was the compensation selection) will wind up looking OK for the Roos.
image1_AbBZaYYbZs.jpg

Nick Watson​

Hawthorn​

Eastern Ranges, 170cm forward
‘The Wizard’ weaved through 70 goals this year. Yes, 70. Remarkably agile, speedy and downright devastating in front of the sticks.
Why?
The Hawks need a key defender and they just picked up a small forward in Jack Ginnivan. But Watson’s magic will be irresistible and you wonder whether the struggles of Denver Grainger-Barrass (No.6 pick in 2020) might spook them from taking Curtin.
image1_B6ZMZhFk8c.jpg

Ryley Sanders​

Western Bulldogs​

Sandringham Dragons, 188cm midfielder
Has looked like he was ready to rock at AFL level for two years now. The Tasmanian (he boards at Melbourne Grammar) is a tough onballer with ticker.
Why?
Did the Dogs trade up to this pick to secure Watson? Probably. But they won’t be too disappointed because Sanders is a safe bet and they suddenly need to replenish what has become an ageing midfield.
image1_Rmv9fe7P6-.jpg

Caleb Windsor​

Melbourne​

Eastern Ranges, 184cm Wingman
Classy outside ball user could blossom like Hugh McCluggage. Speed and agility in spades.
Why?
Melbourne need to sharpen the sword going inside 50m and Windsor is an outside weapon.
image1_1wVPeuSXP-.jpg

Daniel Curtin​

West Coast (via GWS trade)​

Claremont, 197cm defender
Intercepting defender can dominate in all parts of the ground with his strong aerial game and slick disposal.
Why?
Looks like West Coast will swoop, offering its future first-round pick to GWS for the rights to Curtin at pick seven.
image1_FvgZj4Mslk.jpg

Nate Caddy​

Geelong​

Northern Knights, 193cm forward
Star goal kicker has been likened to Charlie Curnow for his marking strength and burst power.
Why?
Natural replacement for Tom Hawkins. But Cats will consider trading back for multiple picks in the teens.
image1_3Am-CsCwWM.jpg

Connor O’Sullivan​

Essendon​

Murray Bushrangers, 197cm key defender
Gun defender has a huge tank and nice close-out speed. Gets in the right spots to spoil or mark and is rated by some as a better forward.
Why?
Defence has been a problem area for Bombers for years, but Bombers could yet trade back for multiple picks. Riley Hardeman on radar.

Gonna say something unpopular here. Unless we say he's going to be developed as a key forward (which I doubt he will), we shouldn't draft O'Sullivan. We've spent the resources necessary to cover that position. No more "oh but what if Reid and Hayes and Baldwin and Cox all fail?" bullshit. We have a glut of young key defenders and there comes a point where we've overspent on them, and if we draft O'Sullivan then we've reached it.

We have a young, talented and raw list. Let's add positions that we really need, like another inside mid to develop, half back flanker(s) (seriously, we don't have one under 25), another key forward (concerns over Jones and Hunter seem to be more valid than the key defenders) and maybe a ruck to develop (Will be 7 years younger than Draper, perfect time to get them in the fold).

If he's at our pick and Adelaide offer us the deal I said above we should take it and run. Draft Hardeman and Archer Reid on night 1 then hope that either Charlie Edwards slips (pipe dream), one of the Goad/Edwards/Green rucks are there or draft George Stevens

Gonna say something unpopular here. Unless we say he's going to be developed as a key forward (which I doubt he will), we shouldn't draft O'Sullivan. We've spent the resources necessary to cover that position. No more "oh but what if Reid and Hayes and Baldwin and Cox all fail?" bullshit. We have a glut of young key defenders and there comes a point where we've overspent on them, and if we draft O'Sullivan then we've reached it.

We have a young, talented and raw list. Let's add positions that we really need, like another inside mid to develop, half back flanker(s) (seriously, we don't have one under 25), another key forward (concerns over Jones and Hunter seem to be more valid than the key defenders) and maybe a ruck to develop (Will be 7 years younger than Draper, perfect time to get them in the fold).

If he's at our pick and Adelaide offer us the deal I said above we should take it and run. Draft Hardeman and Archer Reid on night 1 then hope that either Charlie Edwards slips (pipe dream), one of the Goad/Edwards/Green rucks are there or draft George Stevens
i don’t think this is a unpopular opinion. If we can’t develop Jones, Hunter, Reid, Cox and Hayes… after Eyre and Brand fails… we absolutely have no right to be going another KPP. We cannot match the intense run of the top teams. Address that.

I've literally been saying this for months mate, glad you're finally on board

I've literally been saying this for months mate, glad you're finally on board
Never not been on board, just never thought we'd actually see him available tbh

Never not been on board, just never thought we'd actually see him available tbh

If the draft plays out like that I think it goes pretty well for Essendon.

Could see someone trade up with Geelong in front of Essendon for O’Sullivan and Caddy falls.

Or if it stays as is Crows, Swans, Saints and Dees I’d imagine will all be very interested and that degree of interest should bring quite the bounty to move back 1-4 spots

If the draft plays out like that I think it goes pretty well for Essendon.

Could see someone trade up with Geelong in front of Essendon for O’Sullivan and Caddy falls.

Or if it stays as is Crows, Swans, Saints and Dees I’d imagine will all be very interested and that degree of interest should bring quite the bounty to move back 1-4 spots
The idea is good, doubt it happens. Have it on reasonable authority that the reason we took Cox ahead of Perkins was we tried to get a bounty for Perkins but no one bit. Think the Dodoro hard to deal with moniker is real and although we have every right to ask for overs for a quality, in demand kid (like O'Sullivan), no one will give the (more than likely) overs that Dodoro will ask for.

The "good faith" Dodoro had has been used up for years so likely won't be a deal struck now unless we seriously win/lose out

The idea is good, doubt it happens. Have it on reasonable authority that the reason we took Cox ahead of Perkins was we tried to get a bounty for Perkins but no one bit. Think the Dodoro hard to deal with moniker is real and although we have every right to ask for overs for a quality, in demand kid (like O'Sullivan), no one will give the (more than likely) overs that Dodoro will ask for.

The "good faith" Dodoro had has been used up for years so likely won't be a deal struck now unless we seriously win/lose out

Good thing Dodorro isnt running the show anymore.

Besides asking 3 or 4 teams to make an offer to move up 2-3 spots to get player X that they’d all want is about as hard to stuff up as a set shot straight in front with the defender Data ding on the goal line.

I’d imagine 2 firsts from North (20+ 22)for 9 (11). Is the starting point

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back