Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thing Dodorro isnt running the show anymore.

Besides asking 3 or 4 teams to make an offer to move up 2-3 spots to get player X that they’d all want is about as hard to stuff up as a set shot straight in front with the defender Data ding on the goal line.

I’d imagine 2 firsts from North (20+ 22)for 9 (11). Is the starting point
I would hazard a guess that whilst his shadow is setting, his hands are still firmlty entrenched in the goings on.

Oh look, another phantom draft that has us taking a key defender

Throw enough darts and one is bound to hit the bullseye
Say it enough times it becomes boring.
How long do you wait for Reid or Cox to become KPD ? I will say right now. Reid is not going to be FB or CHB and cox is not going to be KPD. So who is left. Hayes. One year in and going okay but far from proven. O'Sullivan is a much better prospect than Hayes on form and even Reid .
We could wait until Reid flops or gets inured again and then wonder why we did not take a bloke who will be the best player at that spot. I think the decision gets taken out of our hands anyway. I think he will get picked before us.

Last edited:

Gonna say something unpopular here. Unless we say he's going to be developed as a key forward (which I doubt he will), we shouldn't draft O'Sullivan. We've spent the resources necessary to cover that position. No more "oh but what if Reid and Hayes and Baldwin and Cox all fail?" bullshit. We have a glut of young key defenders and there comes a point where we've overspent on them, and if we draft O'Sullivan then we've reached it.

We have a young, talented and raw list. Let's add positions that we really need, like another inside mid to develop, half back flanker(s) (seriously, we don't have one under 25), another key forward (concerns over Jones and Hunter seem to be more valid than the key defenders) and maybe a ruck to develop (Will be 7 years younger than Draper, perfect time to get them in the fold).

If he's at our pick and Adelaide offer us the deal I said above we should take it and run. Draft Hardeman and Archer Reid on night 1 then hope that either Charlie Edwards slips (pipe dream), one of the Goad/Edwards/Green rucks are there or draft George Stevens
And if Cox and Reid do not make it which is right now more likely than not then we just pass on the best player ? I do not think he will be there personally. I think someone will pick him.

I would hazard a guess that whilst his shadow is setting, his hands are still firmlty entrenched in the goings on.
So you are simply saying everything I have told you via PM is just horse shit then ?

Come in peace..there has been a bit of discussion on this on our board. Are essendon seriously considering trading back 5 or 6 places to get an extra back ended 1st and future pick?
Adelaide finished 10th, they could be every chance at finishing 14th next year and a rock id take.

And if Cox and Reid do not make it which is right now more likely than not then we just pass on the best player ? I do not think he will be there personally. I think someone will pick him.
You can pick key defenders up from literally anywhere. The state leagues have multiple potential options, most clubs have depth options and stop gaps. You're wanting to take O'Sullivan because he is best available, I get that but what about the other holes in the list that need filling?

Say it enough times it becomes boring.
How long do you wait for Reid or Cox to become KPD ? I will say right now. Reid is not going to be FB or CHB and cox is not going to be KPD. So who is left. Hayes. One year in and going okay but far from proven. O'Sullivan is a much better prospect than Hayes on form and even Reid .
We could wait until Reid flops or gets inured again and then wonder why we did not take a bloke who will be the best player at that spot. I think the decision gets taken out of our hands anyway. I think he will get picked before us.
Im not waiting for Cox (who you remind us is an oversized flanker) and Reid (perennially injured) as we've already got Hayes who imho was close to a debut, Baldwin who played games and Weidemann who was moved back to remind himself how to play AFL.

We do not need to over supply one position on the ground. We've got enough holes elsewhere that need filling. IF he becomes the best player in this draft, so what? we missed. Like 8/9 other clubs. Would I be unhappy upgrading a Nick Hind or Will Snelling (flankers?), absolutely not

You can pick key defenders up from literally anywhere. The state leagues have multiple potential options, most clubs have depth options and stop gaps. You're wanting to take O'Sullivan because he is best available, I get that but what about the other holes in the list that need filling?
So you can not pick up half backs from anywhere ? Or pressure forwards ?
Yes there are other gaps. The biggest gap for mine is CHF but there is only really Caddy in the top 25.
is a dangerous game to be trading back in a draft with so many question marks on it and not taking a player who is clearly a top 10 or so pick just because we have a two other unproven KPD. We could find a running half back with the picks in the thirties. Luke Lloyd will be available then. McAulife maybe. There are options to fill other gaps. I just think in this draft you take best available with the first pick. For me that is one of O'Sullivan , Caddy , Wilson or Windsor.
We are not filling all the holes this year. People have to get their heads around the fact that changing the coach again set us back another year in the build and what the coach wants the list to look like going forward . There will be another two years of filling gaps minimum.

Im not waiting for Cox (who you remind us is an oversized flanker) and Reid (perennially injured) as we've already got Hayes who imho was close to a debut, Baldwin who played games and Weidemann who was moved back to remind himself how to play AFL.

We do not need to over supply one position on the ground. We've got enough holes elsewhere that need filling. IF he becomes the best player in this draft, so what? we missed. Like 8/9 other clubs. Would I be unhappy upgrading a Nick Hind or Will Snelling (flankers?), absolutely not
If he becomes the best payer in the draft you will 100% be crying as much as the next person. It is plain and simple . In this draft you take the best available in the same way we did with Hobbs despite having a fleet of small midfielders.

"Murray Bushrangers, 197cm key defender
Gun defender has a huge tank and nice close-out speed. Gets in the right spots to spoil or mark and is rated by some as a better forward."

Honestly have more faith that Connor will make it as a forward than Jones at this point, no way we should let him or caddy slip past us.

Our key forward stocks are going to bite us eventually as we're moving forward with Wright and Jones who have played 2 good seasons between them.

And if Hayes and O'Sullivan don't make it? We should take another KPD next year yeah?
I think we’ll be giving Hayes and O’Sullivan a little longer than next season to see if they make it 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna say something unpopular here. Unless we say he's going to be developed as a key forward (which I doubt he will), we shouldn't draft O'Sullivan. We've spent the resources necessary to cover that position. No more "oh but what if Reid and Hayes and Baldwin and Cox all fail?" bullshit. We have a glut of young key defenders and there comes a point where we've overspent on them, and if we draft O'Sullivan then we've reached it.

We have a young, talented and raw list. Let's add positions that we really need, like another inside mid to develop, half back flanker(s) (seriously, we don't have one under 25), another key forward (concerns over Jones and Hunter seem to be more valid than the key defenders) and maybe a ruck to develop (Will be 7 years younger than Draper, perfect time to get them in the fold).

If he's at our pick and Adelaide offer us the deal I said above we should take it and run. Draft Hardeman and Archer Reid on night 1 then hope that either Charlie Edwards slips (pipe dream), one of the Goad/Edwards/Green rucks are there or draft George Stevens

Disagree. You pick the best available. If the best available becomes a gun and isn't playing for us, then he'll be playing against us.

After this year's draft the time for looking to the future is over. It's then down to us developing the best we've picked until 2024 and going with that.

We have no business settling for sh*t picks and dealing for the future. Giving away our first rounders has been the Essington thing to do.

If Caddy isn't available, pick O'Sullivan, backline is set for 10 years, we move onto free agency and gear towards a flag. The time for playing around is over.

And if Hayes and O'Sullivan don't make it? We should take another KPD next year yeah?
Well next year is not here yet so it is not relevant yet .
Secondly it is more about Reid and Cox possibly not filling the spot after 3 seasons than anything to do with Hayes or O'Sullivan after 1 year.
You have to read the draft for what it is . It would be great if it had exactly what we wanted in the first round but it may not if Caddy is gone. Every year is different. We do not know what the top 15 looks like next year or how the academy picks look exactly. It does look to be a decent midfield draft right now.

For me is it just dumb to risk best available in a weaker draft . In saying that I have three blokes I would take that are very close together. Wilson / O'Sullivan / Caddy . I would also not be unhappy with Windsor . I suspect two of these four will be gone anyway.

My view is Reid has massive question marks. I was never all in on him at draft time. I have serious question marks on his speed and build and then he has had injury issues. When he has played VFL he has not been super impressive but the injury issues have not helped.

Cox will not be KP. he will never have the build. He will be a tall intercepting back flank who has the mobility to also play half forward.

Our KPD stocks are not as strong as they look. Yes our KPF stocks are worse but this does not look to be the draft we can fix that in unless Caddy reaches our pick and then I have no issues taking a need .

The thing with O'Sullivan is he is not just another skinny KP prospect. He already has a build. Yes he has shown his best stuff as a KPD but he has also played some very good KPF . he is going to be drafted at 92kg so you are not waiting 3 or 4 years for him to gain 10kg as he was not drafted at 85kg.

The issues we have had with Reid / Cox / Hayes is they are stick men and that adds another layer of development that is needed.

I am not 100% on Hayes making it but it has been 1 year and he did play some decent games in the VFL. he has a lot of strength work to go . I would not be stunned if he only played a couple of senior games. Like BZT he will be a guy who takes a good 3 seasons to find a level.

At the end of the day you can not pick what is not there and my point with O'Sullivan is not we just have to pick him but more if there is not a KPF option or no powerhouse midfield option then you have to bite the bullet and pick the best option.

So you can not pick up half backs from anywhere ? Or pressure forwards ?
Yes there are other gaps. The biggest gap for mine is CHF but there is only really Caddy in the top 25.
is a dangerous game to be trading back in a draft with so many question marks on it and not taking a player who is clearly a top 10 or so pick just because we have a two other unproven KPD. We could find a running half back with the picks in the thirties. Luke Lloyd will be available then. McAulife maybe. There are options to fill other gaps. I just think in this draft you take best available with the first pick. For me that is one of O'Sullivan , Caddy , Wilson or Windsor.
We are not filling all the holes this year. People have to get their heads around the fact that changing the coach again set us back another year in the build and what the coach wants the list to look like going forward . There will be another two years of filling gaps minimum.
A key back is not a hole on the list though.. Sure, question marks on who plays it but a hole it is not

If he becomes the best payer in the draft you will 100% be crying as much as the next person. It is plain and simple . In this draft you take the best available in the same way we did with Hobbs despite having a fleet of small midfielders.
It would end up being like why did we pick Aaron Francis (KPD) and not Weidemann (KPF), McKay (KPF) or Curnow (KPF)

We had enough at the time so no need to overpopulate a position we don't need to and fill holes elsewhere.

Saying "what if" about becoming the best in the draft is like saying "what if" he becomes a bust. Question marks.

"What if" we pick O'Sullivan and all of Baldwin, Reid and Hayes all 'pop'?

As Ive mentioned, understand he may be best available but he does not fill a hole for us and as such he may not be clear best available.

Maybe so but i think the future pick was the melbourne 2nd along with picks 14 + 20 in this draft
If that's the case (our current first) for a F2 and 14+20 Id pass. If we aren't getting a first then it's a no from me. We are likely only taking 3 picks (at most) in this draft and 31 & 35 still aren't bad picks so they would likely be cancelled out by 14 + 20 and become null n void.

If that's the case (our current first) for a F2 and 14+20 Id pass. If we aren't getting a first then it's a no from me. We are likely only taking 3 picks (at most) in this draft and 31 & 35 still aren't bad picks so they would likely be cancelled out by 14 + 20 and become null n void.
All fair comments. I do however think that there will be some surprise trades on the night (no specific team per se but pick swapping in general). Best of luck monday night..i'll see myself out

Well next year is not here yet so it is not relevant yet .
Secondly it is more about Reid and Cox possibly not filling the spot after 3 seasons than anything to do with Hayes or O'Sullivan after 1 year.
You have to read the draft for what it is . It would be great if it had exactly what we wanted in the first round but it may not if Caddy is gone. Every year is different. We do not know what the top 15 looks like next year or how the academy picks look exactly. It does look to be a decent midfield draft right now.

For me is it just dumb to risk best available in a weaker draft . In saying that I have three blokes I would take that are very close together. Wilson / O'Sullivan / Caddy . I would also not be unhappy with Windsor . I suspect two of these four will be gone anyway.

My view is Reid has massive question marks. I was never all in on him at draft time. I have serious question marks on his speed and build and then he has had injury issues. When he has played VFL he has not been super impressive but the injury issues have not helped.

Cox will not be KP. he will never have the build. He will be a tall intercepting back flank who has the mobility to also play half forward.

Our KPD stocks are not as strong as they look. Yes our KPF stocks are worse but this does not look to be the draft we can fix that in unless Caddy reaches our pick and then I have no issues taking a need .

The thing with O'Sullivan is he is not just another skinny KP prospect. He already has a build. Yes he has shown his best stuff as a KPD but he has also played some very good KPF . he is going to be drafted at 92kg so you are not waiting 3 or 4 years for him to gain 10kg as he was not drafted at 85kg.

The issues we have had with Reid / Cox / Hayes is they are stick men and that adds another layer of development that is needed.

I am not 100% on Hayes making it but it has been 1 year and he did play some decent games in the VFL. he has a lot of strength work to go . I would not be stunned if he only played a couple of senior games. Like BZT he will be a guy who takes a good 3 seasons to find a level.

At the end of the day you can not pick what is not there and my point with O'Sullivan is not we just have to pick him but more if there is not a KPF option or no powerhouse midfield option then you have to bite the bullet and pick the best option.
I hear you, and to be fair I'm ok with taking COS, who knows maybe we think and he wants to be a forward

I think there is merit to both options of taking best available, and trading back if the deal is sweet enough.

What I want is:
  • clear articulated plan from the recruitment team on the direction they chose
  • accountability to that strategy if it doesn't go to plan

But how much resource is going towards KPDs, especially top end picks? They just have to back what they have at some point. Maybe recruiters can look at it next year if it truly fails, but at this stage, it's too early to call it a fail.

I think picking O'Sullivan is doing too much unless he is versatile like Curtin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back