Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Kinnear Beatson who said there’s 12 players on their list and if one isn’t available at their pick they’ll slide back?
Funny think is it seems Windsor and Leake are now in the "elite 8" so it must be a revolving elite 8 as they where not in the elite 8 3 months ago :cool:

Funny think is it seems Windsor and Leake are now in the "elite 8" so it must be a revolving elite 8 as they where not in the elite 8 3 months ago :cool:
And Dan curtin was in the very elite 3, but now is outside the elite 8 unless West Coast trade back in.

I think we are a chance to slide back in the draft.
do you take O’Sullivan or Wilson or do you try and trade for norths two late first rounders and pick a couple of players?
I still like Wilson best but can see the attraction of sliding back.
what do people think of trading with west coast if curtin is still available at our pick if he is miraculously available?

do you take O’Sullivan or Wilson or do you try and trade for norths two late first rounders and pick a couple of players?
what do people think of trading with west coast if curtin is still available at our pick if he is miraculously available?
Do you try and get into a F1 with our 9 + 31 & 35 for North's two late firsts as well?

That is the question. You would want to hope that the two you take are not too far behind where you are trading out from. I suppose the picks are really only 5 to 10 spots back.
I think the Eagles will jump earlier if they can.

Do you try and get into a F1 with our 9 + 31 & 35 for North's two late firsts as well?
Can not see North trading a future first to get 9 . They would be better to just use their own picks. Eagles may if they are really keen on Curtin but it may be with someone a bit further up.

If curtain is available I would ask for future 1st and an eagles pick in the 20s this year for curtin otherwise I would just take the kid if you rate him. I think Geelong would do that deal before us.
however pick 9 for two late north first rounder would have to be considered if they think the players they rate will be available later.
I mentioned quite a bit earlier in the year that I had heard essendon were into tholstrup. I am not sure he will be available later on now. His stocks have risen due to playing some ok senior wafl, testing much better than expected and he is by all accounts a ripping young man.

If curtain is available I would ask for future 1st and an eagles pick in the 20s this year for curtin otherwise I would just take the kid if you rate him. I think Geelong would do that deal before us.
however pick 9 for two late north first rounder would have to be considered if they think the players they rate will be available later.
I mentioned quite a bit earlier in the year that I had heard essendon were into tholstrup. I am not sure he will be available later on now. His stocks have risen due to playing some ok senior wafl, testing much better than expected and he is by all accounts a ripping young man.
And the hard a it type that would suit us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't really bothered with looking into Curtain, is he a kicking half back or more a marking, intercepting half back?

Obviously a kicker is a high priority for me with where our list is at and if he can do this, im all aboard taking him
He is more KP that normal half back. The wraps on him are big as he has done well back (intercept) / forward and as a link in midfielder.

“The top West Australian in the draft pool, Daniel Curtin is a key-position player who moves like a midfielder, with his versatility and class making him a likely top five selection.”

The more I hear about this draft, the more I think a future redo will look nothing like its selected.

So much uncertainty. Even at the top.
Agree, funny last year they were saying “next year could be a super draft”, but tbh I think that Humphrey, McKenzie, Phillipou, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Tsatas, Ginbey, Hollands draft is looking pretty bloody super

Surely the Hawks take Curtin at 4 over the 170cm guy

if I was North I would trade 3 for Melbs 7 and future first (someone said they were considering doing this deal with the hawks). Have a final crack at Harley Reid (2&7) if not pick up Curtin/O’Sullivan at 7 because they desperately need a KPD.

Hey Keystone agony why the buzz on Joe Fonti so late in the year?
I really dont know and personally i havnt kept a close enough eye on him

I actually didnt even know he was a chance to be drafted during the time of the national champs

I wouldve thought as a mature ager you wouldve had to dominate a little more, considering his stat lines in colts and national champs also considering his position

He is born on xmas so basically 7 days away from being in this group of age anyway

How many players have missed 4 weeks plus of footy in season in three of the last 4 seasons ? How many have missed a 6 week period ? You are telling the story and as usual you are now moving the goal posts again.

My exact comment.

"McKay still has one hurdle to get over. He has been injury prone in the last few years"

If you are missing more than 4 games a year three out of 4 years then yes you are injury prone. Does not matter a toss if others in the comp are as well. It is an injury.

It is pretty simple. I said he has to get over the injury hurdle . Nothing more. He has missed more than the average few games. That is a fact. We need him on the field. We do not need him with a foot injury before round 1 that ruins his whole season. Or to miss 7 games across various stages of a season or to miss the first 6 weeks of a season which has happened in three of the last 4 years. That is not normal.
He is no longer injury prone based on missing 9 games in 3 years due to injury

And i reiterate that wouldve been far less had he been playing for a contender rather than a wooden spoon. He was given extra time because of their ladder position, there was zero point in rushing him back, even you can admit that, surely?

Theyve all been different injuries

Anyway back to the thread, we agree to disagree

You say hes injury prone based on averaging 3 games missed a year over most recent 3 years for different injuries, i do not.

Last edited:
Maybe Curtin falls to us anyway? No way are we giving up that much to move up 1 spot.
We are if we rate him and its also the only way there. They arent giving up Curtin for an F2 or pick 31
Wilson may very well be there at Norths pick 15
The more I hear about this draft, the more I think a future redo will look nothing like its selected.

So much uncertainty. Even at the top.
I dont think so, 8 of the 10 have been locked for ages now. The top 10 seem locked away. Then Tholstrup and Wilson seem the 11 and 12

Then its all based on needs and likes which is always the case. Twomey had Ed Allen going to eagles at 13 last year and had E.Hewett way further down and this was the day of the draft from memory. Ed Allen went at like 20 to the pies

Also i think clubs have finally fully realised the secrecy needed now with pick swaps on the table. You cannot give anything away, especially atthe pointy end where picks are worth heaps to move up or down 1 spot
Curtin looks a very good kick, if I said he was a defensive leaning Lukosius would that be fair? Probably not as good a kick as Luko, not many are tbh.
Hes very physical to Luko, more versatile with hos midfield ability, hes tough, hes ready to go his KG must be in the 90s. He will fill out very nicely

He is basically a slightly bigger J.Dawson

Luko isnt the worst comparison though

Im surprised at the slide, clubs have this wrong. North should be taking at 2 and if not Hawks at the next pick over a 170cm guy who could barely kick a goal in the last 5-6 games of the year - that being his main attribute aswell of course

But surprised, there was concern around his 195cm size and being a true KPD, but measuring in at close to 197cm i thought wouldve put him right into position 2. Maybe he has told clubs he doesnt want to leave WA, i find it funny VIC clubs would be overlooking him

I still actually think North could take him. He has Al Clarkson written all over him a really nice left footer from the backline. Josh Gibson but with so much more

This may have been mentioned before but I just saw on twitter Caddy has a wingspan of 200+.

Proper KPF reach, the anti Shaun McKernan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back