Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing with giving up #31, we might have a delisted or off the radar player in mind.
Honestly I reckon having a few blokes train with us over summer gives us a better chance at finding a player than taking a punt in the mid-late rounds of the draft. You get to really know them, find out about their drive and their attitude.

With Caddy taken, surely we go a runner / flanker with that back end pick.. A Freijah, Roberts, Stevens perhaps we surprise even ourselves and take a ruck who seems like they could be available. Goad, Edwards, Visentini potentially available
Goad was taken at 20 by Norf

Really hoping that one of

Archie Roberts, Tew Jiath or Mitch Edwards gets to us (in that order).

Then use the rookie draft to grab a ruck prospect (if we don't grab Edwards) or a back flanker.

Use the SPP to grab a guy who works hard ala Martin.

Unpopular opinion but im ok with us giving up pick 31 to move up one spot.

Swans, Pies etc often do what needs to get done to get the player they need. If this is from middle management and is baby steps in repairing our “hard to deal with” moniker then doing so in what many think is an even draft is an ok with me.

Still a fair bit left on the table for our pick 35 (Fox Footy ranking in brackets)

Ollie Murphy (19)
Arie Schoenmakers (21)
Archer Reid (24)
Archie Roberts (25)
George Stevens (26)
Keen Sanchez (27)
Luamol Lual (28)
Mitch Edwards (30)
Few Jiath (31)
Taylor Goad (32)
Logan Morris (33)
Zane Zakostelsky (36)
Angus Hastie (37)
Jack Delean (38)
Cooper Simpson (40)
Aidan O’Driscoll (43)
Shaun Mannagh (45)
Joe Fonti (46)
Jack Callinan (47)
Clay Hall (48)
Joel Freijah (49)
Vigo Visentini (50)

And a couple of others I like

Kade De La Rua
Sam Clohesy
Kai Owens
Hugo Garcia

And the two NGA boys Amin Naim and Mo Taha

Night 2 draft order (For those of you playing at home)
(Pick 30) West Coast
(Pick 31) Brisbane
(Pick 32) Geelong
(Pick 33) St.Kilda
(Pick 34) Carlton
(Pick 35) Richmond
(Pick 36) Geelong
(Pick 37) Collingwood
(Pick 38) Fremantle
(Pick 39) Essendon
Great post, should be pinned to the top of the thread until tomorrow night Lore what do you think?

Twomey saying on AFL.com that another team was trying to trade up for the Geelong pick too. Don’t think we overpaid at all and am very happy to get Caddy at the price we paid

In the pre-draft he said West Coast were considering moving their future first for him which is kinda insane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to take Jiath two picks before Hawthorne get the rights to him. Suspect Saints will take Stevens, looking at what's left. For me:

30. WC: Sanchez
31. Bri: Schoenmaker
32. Gee: Reid
33. St K: Stevens
34. Car: Murphy
35. Ric: M Edwards
36. Gee: Hastie
37. Col: Roberts
38. Fre: Zakostelski
39. Ess: Jiath
40. WC: Simpson

I know Brisbane like Schoenmaker but they also need tall forwards as do eagles mind you

Think they have a good look at a L.Morris, A.Reid

Wonder if eagles prefer Zakolstesky over Sanchez aswell

Cats really wanted midfielders so i suspect a G.Stevens at their 1st but they may be better off grabbing one of the 2 KPFs

I’m not against it at all, I wanted Caddy from the outset.

I just don’t get people suggesting 31 is nothing. It’s a fair bit to pay to move up from 11 to 10
We get the guy we wanted, actually happy they did it, ideally you don’t have to but we did. If he turns out anything like curnow and a star, 31 is irrelevant. He was rated by many in power rankings on talent between 5-8, so using 31 is not overs when you zoom out.
Let’s just see who Geelong select with that pick and then reassess in a few years.

A lot of very strange takes over the last 10 pages. The idea that the trade up was a "bad deal" is almost a bad faith take. It's not paying 31 to upgrade our pick one spot as if the trade is in a vacuum occuring back in trade week. It was a live trade for the very next selection. Context is of course everything. Our Intel was clearly that Caddy was going to get picked: either by the Cats or more likely by any number of other suitors also looking to trade up to that pick. If he was our guy our job is to beat those other offers, which we did.

To suggest that we traded out 31 "for no reason" is just silly. Sooking it up about the club out of habit. We traded out 31 to get Caddy who clearly was going to be gone at that pick if we didn't move. The comparator is this: is 31 a fair price to secure Caddy (great player that fills a big need) instead of O'Sullivan or Leake (great players that do not fill a big need). I think the answer is a fairly resounding yes. The incremental difference in value between those players to our list more than justifies the expense.

Stoked that we got our guy, plenty to play out on night 2.

Unpopular opinion but im ok with us giving up pick 31 to move up one spot.

Swans, Pies etc often do what needs to get done to get the player they need. If this is from middle management and is baby steps in repairing our “hard to deal with” moniker then doing so in what many think is an even draft is an ok with me.

Still a fair bit left on the table for our pick 35 (Fox Footy ranking in brackets)

Ollie Murphy (19)
Arie Schoenmakers (21)
Archer Reid (24)
Archie Roberts (25)
George Stevens (26)
Keen Sanchez (27)
Luamol Lual (28)
Mitch Edwards (30)
Few Jiath (31)
Taylor Goad (32)
Logan Morris (33)
Zane Zakostelsky (36)
Angus Hastie (37)
Jack Delean (38)
Cooper Simpson (40)
Aidan O’Driscoll (43)
Shaun Mannagh (45)
Joe Fonti (46)
Jack Callinan (47)
Clay Hall (48)
Joel Freijah (49)
Vigo Visentini (50)

And a couple of others I like

Kade De La Rua
Sam Clohesy
Kai Owens
Hugo Garcia

And the two NGA boys Amin Naim and Mo Taha

Night 2 draft order (For those of you playing at home)
(Pick 30) West Coast
(Pick 31) Brisbane
(Pick 32) Geelong
(Pick 33) St.Kilda
(Pick 34) Carlton
(Pick 35) Richmond
(Pick 36) Geelong
(Pick 37) Collingwood
(Pick 38) Fremantle
(Pick 39) Essendon
Not sure it was unpopular for most

I don’t care that we gave up a pick for him but doesn’t make sense the call that other clubs were going to trade up for him. Cats would’ve had to trade back more than one spot which meant no O’Sullivan so that trade wasn’t necessarily ever going to happen.

I don’t care that we gave up a pick for him but doesn’t make sense the call that other clubs were going to trade up for him. Cats would’ve had to trade back more than one spot which meant no O’Sullivan so that trade wasn’t necessarily ever going to happen.
No, it means they likely took a slightly worse offer from Essendon than they might have got elsewhere, for that very reason.

This is a genuine win/win but the average footy fan is so conditioned to a zero sum approach they simply can't their heads around it

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back