Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

To add to this, we need Dodoro to do a fist pump when the pick is announced.
Then (if Lual isn't taken at that point) call the dogs and say "you're welcome" cos WC are into him.

Been some talk we like Mannagh. I reckon we’re a good chance to take him if he’s available at 39 unless Archer Reid or Logan Morris slip through

I hope we bid on Calsher Dear with 39 and then take Tew Jiath with 40. Ultimate troll of Hawthorne.
And if they get upset, we can say "frankly my Dear, I don'tew give a damn".

I have no idea who either player is.

And if they get upset, we can say "frankly my Dear, I don'tew give a damn".

I have no idea who either player is.
Dear is the son of Hawthorne Norm Smith Medalist Paul.
Jiath is NGA member of the Hawks and they can match any bid on him from pick 41 onwards

There is a 0.00000000001% chance Hawthorn do that trade.

And that chance is if you kidnap the entire Hawthorn recruiting team and completely brainwash them before the 2nd round starts.
Plus if I'm Freo and Edwards is there at 38, I'm bidding on Johnstone and Dear at 38/39 to make sure he's there at 41.

If it's a case of us having to out-bid others, that makes sense, but they could have only guaranteed getting the player they wanted (O'Sullivan) by dealing with us.

West Coast offered their first pick next year for Geelong's pick. Geelong were interested in that deal, but would have meant missing out on either O'Sullivan or Caddy. By offerering 31 to swap places, it meant they could still take one of them and get an extra pick in the second round and we guaranteed the player we wanted.

West Coast offered their first pick next year for Geelong's pick. Geelong were interested in that deal, but would have meant missing out on either O'Sullivan or Caddy. By offerering 31 to swap places, it meant they could still take one of them and get an extra pick in the second round and we guaranteed the player we wanted.
source? that's insane, the cats turned down a basically guaranteed top 5 pick?

source? that's insane, the cats turned down a basically guaranteed top 5 pick?
Yes but this draft is poo and next years is great 🤔

Got to remember a pick 5 this year is worth more than pick 5 next year

Cats also need to take plenty in this draft so needed picks this year. Atleast 4 will be taken by cats

What would you have been happy to give up? Pretty sure other clubs would have been into geelong for the pick as well

On reflection, I'm fine with it - I didn't think we'd even have a chance to get Caddy. I think we had to move, be it up or down. I just don't agree with posters acting as if 31 is just a throwaway and valueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection, I'm fine with it - I didn't think we'd even have a chance to get Caddy. I think we had to move, be it up or down. I just don't agree with posters acting as if 31 is just a throwaway and valueless.
For context

Port gave up pick 25 to move from 14 to 12, 2 years ago

Eagles didnt accept Pick 3 to move down 1 spot

The closer you get to one the higher the price you pay

31 is very little, if it was Curtin it wouldve needed to require a F1

Also remember it is more or less

Pick 9 and 31 for Caddy and Pick 55

We get the guy we wanted, actually happy they did it, ideally you don’t have to but we did. If he turns out anything like curnow and a star, 31 is irrelevant. He was rated by many in power rankings on talent between 5-8, so using 31 is not overs when you zoom out.
Let’s just see who Geelong select with that pick and then reassess in a few years.

I think it was probably slightly overs, but agree it was a good move to target someone and make the moves to ensure we got our guy.

I just don't understand the 31 being irrelevant part.

There are posters saying that 31's completely meaningless - and then putting up hypotheticals on who we'll take at 35. If 31's meaningless and a throwaway, you shouldn't care about who we get at 35.

For context

Port gave up pick 25 to move from 14 to 12, 2 years ago

Eagles didnt accept Pick 3 to move down 1 spot

The closer you get to one the higher the price you pay

31 is very little, if it was Curtin it wouldve needed to require a F1

Also remember it is more or less

Pick 9 and 31 for Caddy and Pick 55

Crows got Curtin for a F2 - but I do understand what you're saying.

Where's pick 55 come from..?

West Coast missed on Curtin and Adelaide pounced. The Eagles went again for Caddy but were beaten out by the Bombers. As Rohan O'Brien put it on Monday night, it was 'disappointing' for the club.
"We thought long and hard about not doing it, but that pick 31 we secured in that trade was important to us," veteran recruiter Stephen Wells told ESPN.

We walk away with our future first still in our hand despite dangling it in earlier negotiations of the draft. Absolute win.

There are two scenarios.
1. Geelong were going to take Caddy, but Wells thinks that Pick 31 is better than the difference between O'Sullivan and Caddy and Dodoro thinks Caddy is a lot better than whoever his next best pick was.

2. Geelong weren't going to take Caddy, but knew we wanted him a lot, so asked the question and we fell for it and they got an early Rd 2 pick for nothing.

So we're hoping Dodoro's assessment is better than Wells'. I think there's enough evidence out there to suggest that might not be the case.
I have to agree with you on Wells however it’s still a good move imo. Hes exactly who we needed and wanted. The cost might be overs (by a fraction) but time will tell. I don’t have any issue with it. At all.

Geelong got the exact defender they want and need plus with a years development compared to if they waited til next year if they took WCE F1. The Eagles if they have a better run with injury may well have a pick in the 5-10 range.

Crows got Curtin for a F2 - but I do understand what you're saying.

Where's pick 55 come from..?
Adelaide offered 10, 14 and an F2

Im not sure of the exact deal but i know thats what they gave up

55 ... basically last pick in the draft if we want to use it. Unless im wrong there but im pretty sure we have the ability to take 3 slots still. Pne st 39 and the other end of draft

There are posters saying that 31's completely meaningless - and then putting up hypotheticals on who we'll take at 35. If 31's meaningless and a throwaway, you shouldn't care about who we get at 35.

No one in our current best 23 was taken after #30 at the main draft.

12121.png

So while #36 isn't completely "meaningless", there's been enough to show that the range hasn't been as impactful/crucial to us as you're trying to make it out to be, and you're confusing hypothetical talk on #35 (#40) with caring when really it's just off-season boredom and wanting something footy related to talk about/look forward to.

The fact that we didn't give up our future 1st like we were trying to do earlier (and like WCE were trying to do) is a great outcome for the club. Would much rather give away #36 than give up our future 1st.

Last edited:
My takeaway from that is that the top end of this draft can’t be that bad if multiple clubs are knocking back very, very generous offers to stay in the top dozen or so.

No way in hell the Eagles aren’t bottom 3 next year barring Covid, Scurvy or some other act of god.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back