Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest interest tonight is to see if anyone trades up to West Coast's 30. I reckon Richmond are a big chance, Archer Reid is a big need for them at this point of their list build and I don't see him lasting to their pick. 35, F2 and F4 for 30 and F3
They have Morris, M.Edwards and the 2 tall defenders as potential other options

M.Edwards, Reid or Morris rhey may be happy with any of those 3, no doubt keen on Reid as the genuine sized fwd for the future

Eagles may be able to eek put something minorly extra, but not much by moving back a few slots

Pies take Edwards if there imo

Correct. If would be - if the 2nd rounder wasn't included. Remember pick 5 or 10, it's the same live selections for everybody, so it's all relative.

My post was in jest. It was to show how dumb it is of you to twist things to suit a narrative. He's #10.

#36 is a nothing pick in the grand scheme of things. No player in our best 23 at the moment has been taken after #30 at the main draft even, and that's a fact. As for SSP's and rookies, they're free hits/sling shit on a wall and see what sticks selections with no consequence if they don't work out.

West Coast were offering their future first, a potential #1 pick, to get the same thing. We retain our future first and pick best available/list need and bring a highly touted talent to the club.

Give it a rest.

Last edited:
Correct. If would be - if the 2nd rounder wasn't included. Remember pick 5 or 10, it's the same live selections for everybody, so it's all relative.

The whole 'live' selection thing is a bit of a furphy, especially at the top-end.

If we got Pick 1 but had 5 academy or F/S players go before our actual player, we'd be furious because we'd get the 6th best player in the draft.

I can't believe people are complaining about giving up pick 31 (now 36), to get the guy we desperately needed. It is a redundant argument to say "Cats weren't going to pick him anyway"...more than likely the Cats has multiple offers for their pick, which as reported the Eagles offered their 2024 1st round pick.

If we sat on our hands and the Eagles got the pick and took Caddy, everyone would've been headless...Because we moved up one spot by giving away a mid 30s pick in a shallow draft, people are up in arms...FFS this is exactly the player we needed in the draft and I am pumped we moved up!!

My post was in jest. It was to show how dumb it is of you to twist things to suit a narrative. He's #10.

#36 is a nothing pick in the grand scheme of things. No player in our best 23 at the moment has been taken after #30 at the main draft even, and that's a fact. As for SSP's and rookies, they're free hits/sling s**t on a wall and see what sticks selections with no consequence if they don't work out.

West Coast were offering their future first, a potential #1 pick, to get the same thing. We retain our future first and pick best available/list need and bring a highly touted talent to the club.

Give it a rest.
Our team not to have any best 22 picks that are pick 30's or below shows our problems.

Every great premiership teams have good lower pick players.

My point was I'm glad we picked Caddy and happy to give the 2nd rounder. But those who claim it's a nothing pick are in denial.

Our team not to have any best 22 picks that are pick 30's or below shows our problems.

Every great premiership teams have good lower pick players.

My point was I'm glad we picked Caddy and happy to give the 2nd rounder. But those who claim it's a nothing pick are in denial.

Except for the ~ 1/4 of the team that came via rookie pathways...

That's 100% not the reason for our problems at all.

Also, history shows (and the reason we have selections at drafts) that the wide majority of players selected earlier, do better.

The fact that 82% (with the inclusion of Caddy) of our possible best 23 were picks under #30/SSP's is a good thing, not a bad thing, statistically/historically speaking.

My point was I'm glad we picked Caddy and have the 2nd rounder. But those who claim it's a nothing pick are in denial.

No one was saying it was a total nothing pick, but history shows it is close to a nothing pick.

If we have to give away what is statistically usually a lucky dip to secure someone we know is going to make an impact for our future, then in the relative aspect of that, it is disposable because the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Especially if West Coast and other teams are vying for the same thing you're vying for (which has been confirmed), or especially if in the likely scenario that we want Caddy in the future, you think a first rounder and #36 is getting him through the door? Nope.

You do now for what you want later. And we still have our future 1st. Win.

Last edited:
Like investing in anything. You first decide if you want it. Then you do what's in your control to get it. Essendon wanted Caddy and did what's in their control to get him. Leaving it outside their control where Geelong or another club could have got him is a big risk to not getting what you want.

I think it was probably slightly overs, but agree it was a good move to target someone and make the moves to ensure we got our guy.

I just don't understand the 31 being irrelevant part.

There are posters saying that 31's completely meaningless - and then putting up hypotheticals on who we'll take at 35. If 31's meaningless and a throwaway, you shouldn't care about who we get at 35.
Yeah all meant it’s irrelevant if caddy turns into a star cause that’s what matters most.

The pick itself obviously has value but we have 35 (what ever it is now) and hopefully pick well.
I’m just glad they put their nuts on the line saying we believe in this kid. We want him so we will Pay. That should give caddy a heap of confidence.

Like investing in anything. You first decide if you want it. Then you do what's in your control to get it. Essendon wanted Caddy and did what's in their control to get him. Leaving it outside their control where Geelong or another club could have got him is a big risk to not getting what you want.

It's been reported already that West Coast were trying to get Geelong's pick with a future first, among other clubs. #36 was needed as a sweetener to get what we had to get in the grand scheme of things and that's a fact.

My biggest interest tonight is to see if anyone trades up to West Coast's 30. I reckon Richmond are a big chance, Archer Reid is a big need for them at this point of their list build and I don't see him lasting to their pick. 35, F2 and F4 for 30 and F3
I thought the tigers were super keen on Logan Morris?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been reported already that West Coast were trying to get Geelong's pick with a future first, among other clubs. #36 was needed as a sweetener to get what we had to get in the grand scheme of things and that's a fact.
Yeah Essendon have done the right thing to get Caddy. Anyone that didn't do that deal would not have him.

It's obvious that we needed to do that deal to get Caddy.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do we don't know. I know there are many massive fans of his and he's been an excellent prospect this year but the fact is we don't know if he's going to be a player yet.

We'll just have to wait and see if he turns into the star we all hope he'll be, a bust, or somewhere in between (the most likely outcome).

It's obvious that we needed to do that deal to get Caddy.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do we don't know. I know there are many massive fans of his and he's been an excellent prospect this year but the fact is we don't know if he's going to be a player yet.

We'll just have to wait and see if he turns into the star we all hope he'll be, a bust, or somewhere in between (the most likely outcome).
It always feels like there’s a push and pull on our board between taking needs or best available with high picks.

It looks like we got the best of both worlds for once. Obviously a draft can only be judged in hindsight, but in this moment, it looks like we made a good decision.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do we don't know.

Absolutely it was the right thing to do. Drafting for list need while also picking best available. Dream draft scenario.

If we give up a sh*t pick close to #40 to make it happen, we do it. Multiple clubs would have wanted Caddy lining up in front of the sticks for them for the next 10+ years, but he'll be doing it for us.

Absolutely exciting for this club. Shows we're moving past the Essington of old (and some posters are the remnants of that).

It always feels like there’s a push and pull on our board between taking needs or best available with high picks.

It looks like we got the best of both worlds for once. Obviously a draft can only be judged in hindsight, but in this moment, it looks like we made a good decision.
I agree we took needs and best available but we still paid a relatively large price for doing so. It might come off, it might not. We don't know yet.
Absolutely it was the right thing to do. Drafting for list need while also picking best available. Dream draft scenario.

If we give up a sh*t pick close to #40 to make it happen, we do it. Multiple clubs would have wanted Caddy lining up for them for the next 10+ years, but he'll be doing it for us.

Absolutely exciting for this club. Shows we're moving past the Essington of old (and some posters are the remnants of that).
Dude, I get that you've been in love with Caddy for the entire year but the fact is, we don't know yet.

You need to stop jumping down anybodies throat that says we took a risk doing it.

All of us hope he becomes a star but what happens if he doesn't come on like we expect? It was a bold move that we needed to make to take him, but we don't know whether or not it will come off yet. He hasn't even been to a training session yet.

It's fine being optimistic and liking the move. It's also fine being cautious about what we paid for him and whether or not it was worth the risk. Not everyone is going to like the move as much as you do.

If we sat on our hands and the Eagles got the pick and took Caddy, everyone would've been headless...Because we moved up one spot by giving away a mid 30s pick in a shallow draft, people are up in arms...FFS this is exactly the player we needed in the draft and I am pumped we moved up!!

I bet you any money when Geelong were up and Caddy was on the board, every one of us watching the draft, including the couple that are "complaining" had that heart sinking feeling that the Cats were gonna take him and then first pumped when we saw the clubs switch. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Future is bright.

I bet you any money when Geelong were up and Caddy was on the board, every one of us watching the draft, including the couple that are "complaining" had that heart sinking feeling that the Cats were gonna take him and then first pumped when we saw the clubs switch. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Future is bright.
i audibly hooted when the graphic changed to show we had the live pick

It's fine being optimistic and liking the move. It's also fine being cautious about what we paid for him and whether or not it was worth the risk. Not everyone is going to like the move as much as you do.

What risk? A sh*t pick close to #40 so that we don't end up with yet another KPD over a KF that we need? Are you even hearing yourself. :tearsofjoy: Just the entire basis of it all is ridiculous.

Future is bright.
Did you have a camera in my house?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back